Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… 22:41 - May 17 with 5143 viewsSitfcB

Only a few teams left now isn’t there?

EDIT:

List here

[Post edited 17 May 2022 22:42]

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 22:48 - May 17 with 4198 viewsgainsboroughblue

Town v Accrington Play-Off final next year then.

Edit. Port Vale could be crossed off that list as well in a few days.
[Post edited 17 May 2022 22:49]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 22:49 - May 17 with 4160 viewsFrimleyBlue

Hope we don't have to anytime soon. League winners 23 and 24 will do nicely.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 22:55 - May 17 with 4132 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 22:49 - May 17 by FrimleyBlue

I would take being the first League 1 side in the FA Cup final!

Or even going there in that mickey mouse cup thingy as long as it didn't mess up our automatic promotion (it didn't mess Rotherham's up this season, did it?).

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 22:55 - May 17 with 4128 viewspointofblue

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 22:49 - May 17 by FrimleyBlue

Papa John’s Trophy winners would be a nice addition though - and a Wembley visit into the bargain.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 23:08 - May 17 with 4081 viewsBlueBadger

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 22:48 - May 17 by gainsboroughblue

Town v Accrington Play-Off final next year then.

Edit. Port Vale could be crossed off that list as well in a few days.
[Post edited 17 May 2022 22:49]

Nah, we won't be playing there till the Championship playoff final in the 23/24 season....

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 23:15 - May 17 with 4057 viewsParisBlue

Off the top of my head I make it just the 4 visits to Wembley in our history.

1978 x 2

The other game was a 4-0 win. Who remembers that?

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 23:24 - May 17 with 4008 viewsPhilTWTD

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 23:15 - May 17 by ParisBlue

1978 x 2

Factual will. FA Cup tie against Ealing 1928/29.
Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 23:24 - May 17 with 4004 viewsCrock

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 23:15 - May 17 by ParisBlue

1978 x 2

I don’t think there are anyone on here that is old enough to remember that.

Poll: Favourite number?

Login to get fewer ads

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 23:34 - May 17 with 3935 viewsParisBlue

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 23:24 - May 17 by PhilTWTD

Close enough. Southern Amateur League, not FA Cup.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 23:48 - May 17 with 3898 viewsPhilTWTD

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 23:34 - May 17 by ParisBlue

Ah yes, that's right.
Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 08:26 - May 18 with 3431 viewsIpswichKnight

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 23:24 - May 17 by Crock

I don’t think there are anyone on here that is old enough to remember that.

Lies! Factual will remember it.

You just know it will be Accrington v Town in the play off semi, we will get kicked off the park by the bunch of thugs and lose 1-0 then have a billion shots and again lose 1-0.
Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 08:42 - May 18 with 3385 viewsoldburian

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 23:34 - May 17 by ParisBlue

And, I believe, the first hat-trick at the stadium.
Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 09:05 - May 18 with 3329 viewsKeno

Surely this must be an infringement of our civil liberties, causing us undue stress and emotional turmoil

The FA should immediately give us a bye to the FA Cup final next year

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 09:24 - May 18 with 3300 viewsSTYG

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 23:24 - May 17 by PhilTWTD

Out of interest, is there a story behind the thumping by Forest in 1978?

I remember (Larry Carberry?) saying that the defeat to Spurs in the 62 Charity Shield was due to contracts. I think the players got paid a lot for it so Alf made sure the players who won the league played and got paid, rather than reserves, and we had about 5 that were unfit or injured.

In 78 was it just that Forest were bloody good on the day? Given what they'd go on to achieve that season, or was there something similar up with us? Was quite a drubbing on a stage that big when we didn't get beat by many, especially not like that.
Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 09:30 - May 18 with 3277 viewsKeno

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 09:24 - May 18 by STYG

I remember (Larry Carberry?) saying that the defeat to Spurs in the 62 Charity Shield was due to contracts. I think the players got paid a lot for it so Alf made sure the players who won the league played and got paid, rather than reserves, and we had about 5 that were unfit or injured.

In 78 was it just that Forest were bloody good on the day? Given what they'd go on to achieve that season, or was there something similar up with us? Was quite a drubbing on a stage that big when we didn't get beat by many, especially not like that.

Basically we had an 'off' day and Forest didn't.

Their winger Jimmy Robertson had a stormer that day, partly fuelled by being passed ciggies and tins os McEwans through the fence by a couple of his mates

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 09:34 - May 18 with 3273 viewsPhilTWTD

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 08:42 - May 18 by oldburian

And, I believe, the first hat-trick at the stadium.

Not according to this full record of Ealing's games there. If the first hat-trick was in those games it would have been this chap who gets the honour: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Woosnam

Can't see any record of the first Wembley hat-trick anywhere - no one did so in a Wembley FA Cup final or for England before that - so we could have unearthed a forgotten record.

29-Sep: Ealing 1 (Woosnam), Hastings & St. Leonard's 0.
13-Oct: Ealing 0, Ipswich Town 4 (Gibbs, Rogers 2, Bugg).
20-Oct: Ealing 0, Midland Bank 4 (Probyn og, Sugden, Ewer,
Irwin).
27-Oct: Ealing 1 (Farnfield), Bank of England 5 (Gray 2, Stone 2,
Dyson).
03-Nov: Ealing 0, Westminster Bank 3 (Grigg 2, Brickel).
10-Nov: Ealing 4 (Farnfield, Woosnam 3), Barclays Bank 0.
01-Dec: Ealing 0, Aquarius 3 (Finch, Schoffield 2 - 1 pen).
08-Dec: Ealing 0, Old Lyonians 3 (Noad, Massey 2).

http://www.southernamateurleague.co.uk/uploads/7/6/8/6/7686953/standard1310.pdf
Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 09:37 - May 18 with 3253 viewsPhilTWTD

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 09:24 - May 18 by STYG

In 62 we played most of the match with 10 men as, I think, Larry Carberry got injured very early on. Think a few others were carrying injuries but Alf wanted them to have the honour of playing in the game.

In 78 was a weakened side, also due to injuries. Hunter and Beattie both missed out, Warky played centre-half, Tommy Parkin made his debut.
Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 09:39 - May 18 with 3234 viewsSTYG

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 09:37 - May 18 by PhilTWTD

In 62 we played most of the match with 10 men as, I think, Larry Carberry got injured very early on. Think a few others were carrying injuries but Alf wanted them to have the honour of playing in the game.

In 78 was a weakened side, also due to injuries. Hunter and Beattie both missed out, Warky played centre-half, Tommy Parkin made his debut.

Thanks Phil.

I could recall there was some issue both times but couldn't remember what the 78 issue was. That's a healthy chunk of the FA Cup winning side absent in the days when there was hardly any squad depth.
Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 09:40 - May 18 with 3231 viewsPhilTWTD

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 09:30 - May 18 by Keno

Basically we had an 'off' day and Forest didn't.

Their winger Jimmy Robertson had a stormer that day, partly fuelled by being passed ciggies and tins os McEwans through the fence by a couple of his mates

John Robertson! Jimmy Robertson played for us in the late sixties, as I'm sure you remember.
Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 09:40 - May 18 with 3218 viewsJ2BLUE

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 22:55 - May 17 by Nthsuffolkblue

I would take being the first League 1 side in the FA Cup final!

Or even going there in that mickey mouse cup thingy as long as it didn't mess up our automatic promotion (it didn't mess Rotherham's up this season, did it?).

We would have already gone to Wembley for the semis. Something that needs to end as it devalues everything.

I would hate our next trip to Wembley to be for the pizza cup. Needs to be for something decent. A play off final (hopefully Championship rather than league 1) or a cup.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 09:42 - May 18 with 3193 viewsKeno

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 09:40 - May 18 by PhilTWTD

John Robertson! Jimmy Robertson played for us in the late sixties, as I'm sure you remember.

Oh yes!! John Robertson, he had a field day that afternoon

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 12:30 - May 18 with 3039 viewsBasingstokeBlue

1978 x 2

Do we have any centenarians here? You'd have to be about 100+ to now remember playing Ealing at Wembley in 1928.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 14:17 - May 18 with 2952 viewsoldburian

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 09:34 - May 18 by PhilTWTD

Not according to this full record of Ealing's games there. If the first hat-trick was in those games it would have been this chap who gets the honour: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Woosnam

Can't see any record of the first Wembley hat-trick anywhere - no one did so in a Wembley FA Cup final or for England before that - so we could have unearthed a forgotten record.

29-Sep: Ealing 1 (Woosnam), Hastings & St. Leonard's 0.
13-Oct: Ealing 0, Ipswich Town 4 (Gibbs, Rogers 2, Bugg).
20-Oct: Ealing 0, Midland Bank 4 (Probyn og, Sugden, Ewer,
Irwin).
27-Oct: Ealing 1 (Farnfield), Bank of England 5 (Gray 2, Stone 2,
Dyson).
03-Nov: Ealing 0, Westminster Bank 3 (Grigg 2, Brickel).
10-Nov: Ealing 4 (Farnfield, Woosnam 3), Barclays Bank 0.
01-Dec: Ealing 0, Aquarius 3 (Finch, Schoffield 2 - 1 pen).
08-Dec: Ealing 0, Old Lyonians 3 (Noad, Massey 2).

http://www.southernamateurleague.co.uk/uploads/7/6/8/6/7686953/standard1310.pdf

Yes Phil you are right about the hat trick, but I am old!

As regards the two Charity Shield matches, the first was televised live on BBC Grandstand because of the interest with our success and of course Spurs the double winners, I watched it. The second we went to Wembley and my mate from Woolpit took his wife who was heavily pregnant. The one thing I remember was Russell Osman having his photo taken on the steps of Wembley by his proud parents. (there was nothing else fit to remember)
Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 14:20 - May 18 with 2938 viewsPhilTWTD

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 14:17 - May 18 by oldburian

Yes Phil you are right about the hat trick, but I am old!

As regards the two Charity Shield matches, the first was televised live on BBC Grandstand because of the interest with our success and of course Spurs the double winners, I watched it. The second we went to Wembley and my mate from Woolpit took his wife who was heavily pregnant. The one thing I remember was Russell Osman having his photo taken on the steps of Wembley by his proud parents. (there was nothing else fit to remember)

If I remember rightly the 1962 Charity Shield was our first live TV appearance. I believe it was only the second half which was shown.
Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 14:32 - May 18 with 2904 viewsoldburian

Another one off the ‘not played at the new Wembley’ list… on 14:20 - May 18 by PhilTWTD

If I remember rightly the 1962 Charity Shield was our first live TV appearance. I believe it was only the second half which was shown.

You may well be right about second half only. As regards the first live TV appearance since there was so little live club football, just the FA Cup Final, with just one year in the top flight there would have been no opportunity or reason for Town to grace the TV screens.

In the late 1950's it is forgotten that an agreement was reached to televise one league match on a Saturday. It started with Blackpool v Bolton but Alec Hardaker, the FL secretary was not thrilled and managed to cancel the contract.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024