Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joe Pigott 09:07 - May 18 with 3877 viewsThatMuhrenCross

I'm not prepared to write him off yet. He's the kind of big physical striker that normally gets you out of this division, and I also think he's a confidence player. If McKenna can get into him and he has a decent pre-season, I still think he's as good as anything else we're going to find at this level.

Poll: Ipswich offer you 10k a week, Norwich offer you 20k. Who do you join?
Blog: The Cashless Debate

Joe Pigott on 09:11 - May 18 with 2259 viewsArnoldMoorhen

But if you had a choice between:

Pigott staying

and

Pigott being sold and a different "big, physical striker" being brought in.

Which would you go for?

I would go for the second option, mainly because Pigott hasn't even looked physical for us. Just a big bloke who doesn't dominate Div 1 Centre Backs, with a variable first touch, who has confidence issues in front of goal.
Joe Pigott on 09:12 - May 18 with 2251 viewsBiGDonnie

He's an absolute donkey and I'd be gutted and surprised if he's anywhere near the first team by the start of next season.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Joe Pigott on 09:13 - May 18 with 2244 viewsWickets

I tend to agree confidence is huge and you only have to look at Bonne this season and Will Keane's spell to understand that .
Joe Pigott on 09:23 - May 18 with 2200 viewspointofblue

He seems to have a good season then bad season - he scored 18 goals in 48 appearances in 18/19, then nine in 39 in 19/20 before netting 22 in 52 in 20/21. So on those grounds next year could be a successful one for him. I’m not concerned that he can’t do it at this level as he clearly can; he isn’t a one season wonder. But our style doesn’t play to our strengths and he hasn’t been given a run of games to try and play himself into form. We may find it difficult to offload him but, if we fail to play to his strengths, then he may well end up a financial albatross.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Joe Pigott on 09:26 - May 18 with 2178 viewsBlueBadger

But what ARE his strengths?

He doesn't have any presence in the box, doesn't hold the ball up and bring others into play and doesn't have any pace.

I'm not sure what exactly it is he offers.
I suspect the only reason he'll be still on the books come next season is that no-one else will be willing to pay his wages.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Joe Pigott on 09:28 - May 18 with 2170 viewsSTYG

With Wolf, you had a player there that looked superb in the Championship.

With Donacien, I saw a player completely outcast that I'd always thought looked a decent defender.

With Piggott, I've seen nothing. No aerial ability, no goal threat, no tireless running, no passing ability. All he's done is literally two bits of nice close control, one of which he then gave the ball away and to be honest, I can still do what he did just as well and I'm twice his age.

He's had good feet twice in 20 appearances. If he made a Wolf or Donacien style sudden improvement he'd still only elevate himself to an average League One striker. He's miles off it.
[Post edited 18 May 2022 9:34]
Joe Pigott on 09:28 - May 18 with 2165 viewsGuthrum

Joe Pigott on 09:11 - May 18 by ArnoldMoorhen

But if you had a choice between:

Pigott staying

and

Pigott being sold and a different "big, physical striker" being brought in.

Which would you go for?

I would go for the second option, mainly because Pigott hasn't even looked physical for us. Just a big bloke who doesn't dominate Div 1 Centre Backs, with a variable first touch, who has confidence issues in front of goal.

That's what it comes down to.

Moreover, does McKenna believe he can get more out of Pigott? He does have a fairly consistently good scoring record over four seasons before he came to Town (all comps - 19, 18, 9, 22), the majority of that in L1. However, he's made not much more than half the number of appearances this time (often as a sub) that he made in most of those seasons.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Joe Pigott on 09:32 - May 18 with 2136 viewsOsborneOneNil

Joe Pigott on 09:28 - May 18 by STYG

With Donacien, I saw a player completely outcast that I'd always thought looked a decent defender.

With Piggott, I've seen nothing. No aerial ability, no goal threat, no tireless running, no passing ability. All he's done is literally two bits of nice close control, one of which he then gave the ball away and to be honest, I can still do what he did just as well and I'm twice his age.

He's had good feet twice in 20 appearances. If he made a Wolf or Donacien style sudden improvement he'd still only elevate himself to an average League One striker. He's miles off it.

Not keen then?
Login to get fewer ads

Joe Pigott on 09:33 - May 18 with 2137 viewsBlueBadger

Joe Pigott on 09:28 - May 18 by STYG

Worth mentioning that other than two seasons, his stats in league football are pretty unremarkable, too.

He's cracked double figures for goals in a season only twice at our current level. Not good enough, sadly.

He's a poor man's Kevin Lisbie or Tamas Priskin, signed on the back of one exceptional season.
[Post edited 18 May 2022 9:33]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Joe Pigott on 09:33 - May 18 with 2128 viewsSTYG

Joe Pigott on 09:32 - May 18 by OsborneOneNil

Not keen then?

Sorry, didn't mean to sit on the fence.

Should have given some sort of clue! lol.
Joe Pigott on 09:34 - May 18 with 2122 viewsRegencyBlue

Obviously time will tell but he doesn’t strike me as the sort of player McKenna wants in his team.

McKenna seems to value pace up front, hence his praise for Jackson. I feel sorry for Pigott but I think his time here is already done if we can sell or loan him out.

If we can’t I don’t see him featuring much.
Joe Pigott on 09:38 - May 18 with 2098 viewsBlueBadger

Joe Pigott on 09:34 - May 18 by RegencyBlue

Obviously time will tell but he doesn’t strike me as the sort of player McKenna wants in his team.

McKenna seems to value pace up front, hence his praise for Jackson. I feel sorry for Pigott but I think his time here is already done if we can sell or loan him out.

If we can’t I don’t see him featuring much.

Worth pointing out as well, that Piggot isn't a young player who could be coached into adapting his game readily. He's 28, should be at the peak of his game and his career has been largely unremarkable, thus far.

Joe Pigott on 09:41 - May 18 with 2063 viewstractorboy1978

McKenna doesn't want a big, physical striker though. He wants someone in the Jackson mould but better - pace, mobile, can run the channels, stretch defences, link play and play in a fluid front 3.
[Post edited 18 May 2022 9:43]
Joe Pigott on 09:42 - May 18 with 2061 viewsDubtractor

But he isn't really a big physical striker is he?

He's tall, but I haven't seen too much physicality in his game at all.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Joe Pigott on 09:42 - May 18 with 2066 viewsitfcjoe

Sadly he's just a good fit in what McKenna does - we need very athletic strikers and JP just isn't that.

If we don't get shot of him, he'll be the highest paid 4th choice striker in the league by a considerable distance

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Joe Pigott on 09:45 - May 18 with 2028 viewstractorboy1978

Joe Pigott on 09:42 - May 18 by itfcjoe

Sadly he's just a good fit in what McKenna does - we need very athletic strikers and JP just isn't that.

If we don't get shot of him, he'll be the highest paid 4th choice striker in the league by a considerable distance

I can't see how he stays here, even if we only shift a couple of grand a week of his salary elsewhere. I wouldn't have thought they will want to be naming him in the squad and his wages coming into our SCMP calculations.
Joe Pigott on 09:46 - May 18 with 2029 viewsBlueBadger

Joe Pigott on 09:42 - May 18 by Dubtractor

He's basically Tamas Priskin. Lanky, occasional nice bit on control, offers nothing, cost us too much and arrived on the back of an atypical season.
[Post edited 18 May 2022 9:46]

Joe Pigott on 09:46 - May 18 with 2014 viewsGuthrum

Joe Pigott on 09:33 - May 18 by BlueBadger

Worth mentioning that other than two seasons, his stats in league football are pretty unremarkable, too.

He's cracked double figures for goals in a season only twice at our current level. Not good enough, sadly.

He's a poor man's Kevin Lisbie or Tamas Priskin, signed on the back of one exceptional season.
[Post edited 18 May 2022 9:33]

However, that's two out of just three full seasons in L1 before he came to Town, which was also pretty much the only settled period of his career (rather than constantly being out on loan).

Not to mention that the season where he finished just short of double figures was the one curtailed by Covid.

Joe Pigott on 09:47 - May 18 with 2005 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Joe Pigott on 09:42 - May 18 by Dubtractor

We had a physical striker with pace who scores goals but we released him because we most likely can't get Pigotts wages off the bill so couldn't afford to give him an extra year.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Joe Pigott on 09:51 - May 18 with 1964 viewsSTYG

Joe Pigott on 09:47 - May 18 by OriginalMarkyP

We had a physical striker with pace who scores goals but we released him because we most likely can't get Pigotts wages off the bill so couldn't afford to give him an extra year.

No. We had a bloke charged with drink driving, that thought black face was funny, who had the odd scoring patch between being injured and being anonymous.
Joe Pigott on 09:52 - May 18 with 1954 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Joe Pigott on 09:42 - May 18 by itfcjoe

I think take Pigott's contract out of the equation and McK would have preferred to keep Norwood out of the two.

I think Pigott may well sit on his contact and take the wages because I thnk it's going to be hard for him to get an equivalent pay cheque somewhere else.

Joe Pigott on 09:53 - May 18 with 1953 viewsPhilTWTD

Joe Pigott on 09:46 - May 18 by BlueBadger

He's basically Tamas Priskin. Lanky, occasional nice bit on control, offers nothing, cost us too much and arrived on the back of an atypical season.
[Post edited 18 May 2022 9:46]

He was a free transfer so the cost us too much is somewhat damning! Think he's more physical than Priskin, but clearly hasn't worked for him here and I'm sure he'll be one of those they'll be looking to move on. Think there are probably a number in that bracket, perhaps more than has been suggested.
Joe Pigott on 09:56 - May 18 with 1925 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Joe Pigott on 09:53 - May 18 by PhilTWTD

He was a free transfer so the cost us too much is somewhat damning! Think he's more physical than Priskin, but clearly hasn't worked for him here and I'm sure he'll be one of those they'll be looking to move on. Think there are probably a number in that bracket, perhaps more than has been suggested.

So who do we think Phil?

Harper.
Pigott
Penny
Hladly
Idris
KVY
Edwards

?

Joe Pigott on 09:56 - May 18 with 1919 viewsDubtractor

Joe Pigott on 09:47 - May 18 by OriginalMarkyP

I think Norwood's race was run here, but he is a much better example of a physical striker that gives defenders problems.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Joe Pigott on 09:56 - May 18 with 1918 viewsGuthrum

Joe Pigott on 09:53 - May 18 by PhilTWTD

Probably always going to be the case that when so many new players come into a club, not all of those will work out (or be needed) - especially when coupled with a change of Manager.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024