Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Play Off's 09:47 - May 18 with 1648 viewsPaddy39

I was a little uncomfortable seeing the Forest fans stream on to the pitch on the completion of last night's semi-final play off and to see Billy Sharpe being bundled over and apparently needing stiches. Although it is nice to celebrate with your team this is getting more dangerous with both sets of players still out on the pitch. It is a great occasion for both sets of fans but at such a high pressured game better security is needed. I hope, if we don't go up in the top 2 automatically next season but are in the top 6 for the play off's that security at Portman Road is better than what I witnessed last night should we reach the semi - final play off spot. Maybe as a deterrent, fans that invade the pitch will mean their club plays it's first two games behind close doors next season. Fans can be told this via the Big Screen and Tannoy, it can also be in the programme that people purchase on match day.

Poll: Should we retire our No.9 shirt for one season after losing Paul Mariner RIP?

The Play Off's on 09:50 - May 18 with 1616 viewsSTYG

I gave up with any sensible FA action happening at Birmingham in 2001.

How many times did the PA announce that the match would be suspended if they entered the field of play? Made no difference.

Didn't Jeff Winter also say in his book he pretty much let Birmingham win because he was scared?

Absolutely nothing happened. They deliberately scorched the pitch to make it unplayable as well.

Birmingham, Leeds, West Ham, Bolton, Sheffield United all just behind Norwich.
The Play Off's on 09:52 - May 18 with 1604 viewstractorboy1978

I sense that we aren't far away from something properly serious happening. The incident with Sharp was bad enough but it could have been worse. Was saying to a mate last night, you could easily get into a football stadium with a weapon of some sort or a knife.
The Play Off's on 10:31 - May 18 with 1532 viewsSitfcB

And this sums our fans up to a tee - if/when we go up we deserve to have a pitch invasion.

There’s nothing wrong with a pitch invasion people just need to not be tw@ts. Celebrate with you own players/fans and behave.

Disgusting what’s happened to Sharp and absolutely no need, hopefully the culprit will be banned for life and banged up, what an idiot, his team potentially going to be in the best league in the world and he’s going to miss it.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

The Play Off's on 10:43 - May 18 with 1479 viewsitfcjoe

The Play Off's on 10:31 - May 18 by SitfcB

And this sums our fans up to a tee - if/when we go up we deserve to have a pitch invasion.

There’s nothing wrong with a pitch invasion people just need to not be tw@ts. Celebrate with you own players/fans and behave.

Disgusting what’s happened to Sharp and absolutely no need, hopefully the culprit will be banned for life and banged up, what an idiot, his team potentially going to be in the best league in the world and he’s going to miss it.

Even at Huddersfield - Luton there was a significant number who go on to the pitch to taunt the opposition players and fan bases rather than celebrate.

We've had Leicester fan attacking Forest players, this Forest fan headbutting Sharp and needing stitches. The Birmingham fan who attacked Grealish is back in the terraces with a chant being sung about him like a hero.

We are getting back to the bad old days - football fans can't be trusted so the 90% of good people will be punished because 10% can't behave

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Play Off's on 10:47 - May 18 with 1456 viewsSitfcB

The Play Off's on 10:43 - May 18 by itfcjoe

Even at Huddersfield - Luton there was a significant number who go on to the pitch to taunt the opposition players and fan bases rather than celebrate.

We've had Leicester fan attacking Forest players, this Forest fan headbutting Sharp and needing stitches. The Birmingham fan who attacked Grealish is back in the terraces with a chant being sung about him like a hero.

We are getting back to the bad old days - football fans can't be trusted so the 90% of good people will be punished because 10% can't behave

Re: the Huddersfield game, there was a big crowd of coppers/stewards in the corner by the away end but they still didn’t form a line in front the away fans prior to the invasion and during, wtf.

It’s a shame there’s a few idiots still about. By the time we get to have a pitch invasion we’ll all be caught by it nets

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

The Play Off's on 10:48 - May 18 with 1449 viewsFreddies_Ears

The Play Off's on 09:52 - May 18 by tractorboy1978

I sense that we aren't far away from something properly serious happening. The incident with Sharp was bad enough but it could have been worse. Was saying to a mate last night, you could easily get into a football stadium with a weapon of some sort or a knife.

I have been to a few games in the last couple of weeks, League 2 and Premier League. I was a bit shocked to discover my Swiss Army knive at the bottom of the tiny bag I took into each ground - it had been searched several times too...
The Play Off's on 11:30 - May 18 with 1360 viewsBluespeed225

I remember Norwich complaining when we went on after Gunns' miss kick. Was it Fleck who allegedly got a clump?
The Play Off's on 11:48 - May 18 with 1308 viewsHighgateBlue

The Play Off's on 09:52 - May 18 by tractorboy1978

The increasing use of fireworks at English football matches is an accident waiting to happen. They may not be intended as weapons, but they can be extremely dangerous, especially in the hands of the sort of people who think it's OK to take them to football matches and lob them onto the pitch.
Login to get fewer ads

The Play Off's on 12:09 - May 18 with 1258 viewsJDB23

I wouldn’t run on the pitch to celebrate getting to a championship play off final and I certainly wouldn’t do it in league 1. At that point you could still very well be playing in the same league next year. Feels like fans just looking for an excuse to be a bellend rather than pure celebration.
The Play Off's on 12:18 - May 18 with 1229 viewsChrisd

It was terrible what happened to Sharp and I'm so pleased that someone has been arrested. I do wonder how long it will be before something 'kicks off' between rival fans at the final whistle? Lots of tension last night and naturally the Forest fans were excited about their victory, but it wouldn't have taken much for the Blades' fans to spill on to the pitch for things to seriously escalate.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

The Play Off's on 12:22 - May 18 with 1213 viewsitfcjoe

The Play Off's on 12:09 - May 18 by JDB23

I wouldn’t run on the pitch to celebrate getting to a championship play off final and I certainly wouldn’t do it in league 1. At that point you could still very well be playing in the same league next year. Feels like fans just looking for an excuse to be a bellend rather than pure celebration.

Did you go to the Bolton game which was 22 years ago yesterday?

The Play Off's on 12:30 - May 18 with 1186 viewsronnyd

Colin Murray mentioned on Quest last night that James Bree got hit on the back of the head after that match. The Sharp incident was out and out thuggery though.
The Play Off's on 12:33 - May 18 with 1166 viewsGeoffSentence

The Play Off's on 10:48 - May 18 by Freddies_Ears

I have been to a few games in the last couple of weeks, League 2 and Premier League. I was a bit shocked to discover my Swiss Army knive at the bottom of the tiny bag I took into each ground - it had been searched several times too...

I had that going through airport security. A small knife that I had forgotten was packed in one of the inner pockets of a backpack, went through security at various airports over a couple of years before I discovered it.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The Play Off's on 12:34 - May 18 with 1158 viewsTractorCam

The Play Off's on 12:18 - May 18 by Chrisd

It was terrible what happened to Sharp and I'm so pleased that someone has been arrested. I do wonder how long it will be before something 'kicks off' between rival fans at the final whistle? Lots of tension last night and naturally the Forest fans were excited about their victory, but it wouldn't have taken much for the Blades' fans to spill on to the pitch for things to seriously escalate.

It happened the other week at Gillingham, only lightly before the stewards and police managed to separate the fans with the Rotherham ones.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

The Play Off's on 12:34 - May 18 with 1156 viewsJDB23

The Play Off's on 12:22 - May 18 by itfcjoe

Did you go to the Bolton game which was 22 years ago yesterday?

Nope, my proper support for ITFC didn’t start until our first season back in the Championship, which would give me even more right for wanting to celebrate given all I have known is disappointment. Just have never felt reaching a playoff final in itself is worth a pitch invasion.
The Play Off's on 12:40 - May 18 with 1126 viewsPlums

The Play Off's on 11:48 - May 18 by HighgateBlue

The increasing use of fireworks at English football matches is an accident waiting to happen. They may not be intended as weapons, but they can be extremely dangerous, especially in the hands of the sort of people who think it's OK to take them to football matches and lob them onto the pitch.

TBF, I haven't seen any fireworks. Are there any examples? Lots of smoke which has its own issues (well discussed on here previously) but no fireworks.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

The Play Off's on 12:44 - May 18 with 1105 viewsSwansea_Blue

There does seem to be a shift in the wider fanbase from supporting your team to antagonising the opposition fans. There have always been idiots focussed on the opposition and sometimes looking for trouble of course. It seems more widespread now though. The incident of players being attacked is also a worrying sign.

I'd love us to have a good-natured pitch invasion when we go up. Actions like last night make that increasingly unlikely I suppose.
[Post edited 18 May 2022 12:45]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The Play Off's on 12:54 - May 18 with 1067 viewsitfcjoe

The Play Off's on 12:34 - May 18 by JDB23

Nope, my proper support for ITFC didn’t start until our first season back in the Championship, which would give me even more right for wanting to celebrate given all I have known is disappointment. Just have never felt reaching a playoff final in itself is worth a pitch invasion.

When we get there and you've lived it I'm sure you'll change your mind on that

The Play Off's on 13:02 - May 18 with 1039 viewshoppy

The Play Off's on 12:34 - May 18 by JDB23

When you've had 3 years of falling at that semi final hurdle, and you actually put in a performance that deservedly takes you to Wembley for the final, there is a bit of pressure cooker release and feels like 'this could be your year' about it, even at that stage.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

The Play Off's on 13:11 - May 18 with 1014 viewsJDB23

The Play Off's on 13:02 - May 18 by hoppy

When you've had 3 years of falling at that semi final hurdle, and you actually put in a performance that deservedly takes you to Wembley for the final, there is a bit of pressure cooker release and feels like 'this could be your year' about it, even at that stage.

Clearly circumstances play a part, but I definitely don't see that in league 1. Can't bring myself to go mad on the pitch when we could still be playing Forest Green and Morecambe the following year.
The Play Off's on 13:33 - May 18 with 964 viewsHighgateBlue

The Play Off's on 12:40 - May 18 by Plums

TBF, I haven't seen any fireworks. Are there any examples? Lots of smoke which has its own issues (well discussed on here previously) but no fireworks.

I was using fireworks as synonymous with pyrotechnics, so including devices of various kinds that are commonly referred to as 'flares'. Flares have certainly become more common in England in recent years (I recall seeing them on TV at European matches maybe thirty years ago and thinking that would never happen in the UK). One was thrown on the pitch in the middle of the FA Cup Final shootout the other day, of course, and there was the Richarlison incident a fortnight ago against Chelsea.

Mark Roberts, (National Police Chiefs' Council's football policing head bod), has spoken on the increased use of these recently, and is telling clubs to sort it out.

Call me old fashioned, but deliberately starting a fire in a stadium packed with people isn't a great idea. I do appreciate that many aspects of fan behaviour are better than they were in the bad old days, however. I'm not JUST a miserable old...
The Play Off's on 13:41 - May 18 with 937 viewsVaughan8

Personally never understood the running on the pitch thing. Maybe I'm boring but it doesn't appeal. I don't think I'd get much if any enjoyment from running on the pitch. haha

And yes I was there for the '92 Brighton game and the playoff win. (but in an upper tier and with my dad who wouldn't do that either!)

Also a playoff semi final........one of those sets of fans is not even going up! haha
[Post edited 18 May 2022 13:42]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024