Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Amazon Prime recommendations 10:56 - May 18 with 1219 viewsNthQldITFC

Anybody recommend any decent films or bingeable TV series I can watch on Amazon Prime before I bin the free subscription I was stupid enough to sign up to again?

There's so much on offer there, that I don't know where to start looking!

For guidance: I'm very much NOT into crash-bang-wallop 'American' action films. I like things like Wolf Hall, Ealing comedies, spy films, Breaking Bad, courtroom dramas, anything slow where the characterisations are more important than the action. Thus, no Sylvester Stallone, Vin Diesel, Jean Claude van Damme, Jason Statham etc. etc.

Many thanks

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Amazon Prime recommendations on 10:57 - May 18 with 1209 viewsBlueandTruesince82

The boys
Goliath
Bosch

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Amazon Prime recommendations on 11:15 - May 18 with 1156 viewsSimonds92

Sneaky Pete is the best series on there. Bosch is very good too.
Amazon Prime recommendations on 11:17 - May 18 with 1143 viewswkj

Bosch Legacy and Bosch is very good. It is a very down to earth Police drama that is based on a well-loved book series (the creator of the book is involved in the show too)

What I love about Bosch is MOST of it is believable and there are consequences to the methods used to bring in a bad guy - it does focus a lot on the post-arrest politics between government, lawyers and police - not to mention Titus Welliver is total Man Candy and all I want to be in life.
[Post edited 18 May 2022 11:39]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Amazon Prime recommendations on 11:17 - May 18 with 1144 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

I am a big fan of ‘The Man in the High Castle’

I would also throw ‘Futureman’ in there as a bit more of an unknown but smart and funny (very bingeable) show
Amazon Prime recommendations on 11:23 - May 18 with 1128 viewsMattinLondon

Them - American drama about a racist ‘supernatural force’ that torments a black family - very graphic in terms of violence.

The Underground Railroad - a slave tries to escape from her captivity. Again, graphic violence.

Only murders in the building - I enjoyed this lighthearted drama. Stars Steve Martin about a group of amateur sleuths. Funny in places, not overly serious but fun.
Amazon Prime recommendations on 11:35 - May 18 with 1107 viewsJosebadleg

Ripper Street or The expanse.
The latter is one the best series I have ever watched. It takes four episodes to get truly hooked in as there is a lot of world building in the first few episodes

They say I have a short attenti.........
Poll: What are you looking for in the new manager

Amazon Prime recommendations on 11:42 - May 18 with 1085 viewsBlueBadger

The Expanse. Game of Thrones in space. Only with less rape, dragons and a decent ending.
Sci-fi but very grounded and not much crash band wallop.

You definitely have to pay attention to all the moving parts.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Amazon Prime recommendations on 11:46 - May 18 with 1069 viewswkj

Amazon Prime recommendations on 11:42 - May 18 by BlueBadger

The Expanse. Game of Thrones in space. Only with less rape, dragons and a decent ending.
Sci-fi but very grounded and not much crash band wallop.

You definitely have to pay attention to all the moving parts.

Having read the book, i was really disappointed with how the show ended up pacing out - still a good watch, but I think they chose some of the wrong plot points to speed up, and the finale ended up feeling like a season finale rather than a series finale.

Now, of course, I am aware the story goes on and another 3 or 4 seasons would be needed to catch up to the book - but I honestly hated how protracted Season 4 was and how streamlined Season 6 was. (I think season 4 is when they end up in 'parts unknown')
[Post edited 18 May 2022 11:55]

Crybaby

Login to get fewer ads

Amazon Prime recommendations on 11:46 - May 18 with 1066 viewswitchdoctor

enjoyed ‘this is us’.
Amazon Prime recommendations on 11:50 - May 18 with 1045 viewsBlueBadger

Amazon Prime recommendations on 11:46 - May 18 by wkj

Having read the book, i was really disappointed with how the show ended up pacing out - still a good watch, but I think they chose some of the wrong plot points to speed up, and the finale ended up feeling like a season finale rather than a series finale.

Now, of course, I am aware the story goes on and another 3 or 4 seasons would be needed to catch up to the book - but I honestly hated how protracted Season 4 was and how streamlined Season 6 was. (I think season 4 is when they end up in 'parts unknown')

I thought season 4 was more interesting than the book it related to but it could have been shorter and devoted a bit more time to the rise of Marco. Personally I'd have concluded book our about three quarters of the way into series four and closed it with Marco's Big Moment from book 5.
Spreading the first book over a series and a half and then cramming books 2 and 3(with all their plot twists and turns) ino the same timeframe was a bit odd, I thought.

Pretty sure I've read somewhere that they've deliberately left loose ends hanging to leave the door ajar for big--budget film adaptation of the final three books(which are definitely a lot more 'wide screen').
[Post edited 18 May 2022 12:05]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Amazon Prime recommendations on 11:51 - May 18 with 1037 viewsJosebadleg

Amazon Prime recommendations on 11:46 - May 18 by wkj

I listened to a podcast with one of the writers of the book and he hints they are trying to get a trilogy of movies to cover the last three books. It does make sense they ended the series at the conclusion of book 6 as the last three can be a stand alone series.

Season 3 was sped up because the original channel SyFy cancelled the series and only because of a fan petition and Jeff Bezoz enjoying the series it was picked up by Amazon

They say I have a short attenti.........
Poll: What are you looking for in the new manager

Amazon Prime recommendations on 11:52 - May 18 with 1026 viewsnodge_blue

You might like Mr robot.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Amazon Prime recommendations on 11:55 - May 18 with 999 viewsBlueBadger

The Boys has quite a LOT of 'crash bang wallop' but as a satire on super films and the culture around it as a whole, it's a lot of fun.

Amazon Prime recommendations on 11:58 - May 18 with 979 viewsGlasgowBlue

Vikings

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Amazon Prime recommendations on 12:00 - May 18 with 971 viewsjeera

Amazon Prime recommendations on 11:50 - May 18 by BlueBadger

I thought season 4 was more interesting than the book it related to but it could have been shorter and devoted a bit more time to the rise of Marco. Personally I'd have concluded book our about three quarters of the way into series four and closed it with Marco's Big Moment from book 5.
Spreading the first book over a series and a half and then cramming books 2 and 3(with all their plot twists and turns) ino the same timeframe was a bit odd, I thought.

Pretty sure I've read somewhere that they've deliberately left loose ends hanging to leave the door ajar for big--budget film adaptation of the final three books(which are definitely a lot more 'wide screen').
[Post edited 18 May 2022 12:05]

Can everyone stop saying 'season' please?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Amazon Prime recommendations on 12:11 - May 18 with 940 viewsGlasgowBlue

Amazon Prime recommendations on 12:00 - May 18 by jeera

The rule of thumb is that if it's British then it' a series. If it's American then it's a season.

We have to respect their culture. Like using Mumbai instead of Bombay.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Amazon Prime recommendations on 12:27 - May 18 with 900 viewsMattinLondon

Do you want to replace ‘season’ with ‘campaign’?

For example, Town start the 2022/23 campaign at home to…..
Amazon Prime recommendations on 12:31 - May 18 with 890 viewswkj

I'm allowed, I am Mr WorldwIde by birth - so I can flip between English and American with impunity. My life is like a time share that actually works, what can I say.

Crybaby

Amazon Prime recommendations on 13:04 - May 18 with 837 viewsCaptainAhab

Currently watching Undone, it's weird but excellent. Sort of time travel/alternative realities kind of family drama/murder mystery rotoscope animation. Much harder to describe than it is to watch!
Amazon Prime recommendations on 13:23 - May 18 with 807 viewsNthQldITFC

Thanks for the recommendations everybody.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Amazon Prime recommendations on 13:26 - May 18 with 781 viewswkj

Amazon Prime recommendations on 13:23 - May 18 by NthQldITFC

Thanks for the recommendations everybody.

Also, there is MGM on Amazon (additional sub fee) - Essential for binging stargate SG1

Crybaby

Amazon Prime recommendations on 13:30 - May 18 with 767 viewsFurrow

Amazon Prime recommendations on 10:57 - May 18 by BlueandTruesince82

The boys
Goliath
Bosch

Another vote for Goliath
Billy Bob Thornton is great in this
Amazon Prime recommendations on 13:33 - May 18 with 755 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Amazon Prime recommendations on 12:11 - May 18 by GlasgowBlue

The rule of thumb is that if it's British then it' a series. If it's American then it's a season.

We have to respect their culture. Like using Mumbai instead of Bombay.

I love a bowl of Mumbai Bix!
Amazon Prime recommendations on 13:58 - May 18 with 733 viewsghostofescobar

Amazon Prime recommendations on 13:04 - May 18 by CaptainAhab

Currently watching Undone, it's weird but excellent. Sort of time travel/alternative realities kind of family drama/murder mystery rotoscope animation. Much harder to describe than it is to watch!

It is weird but excellent, isn't it. I'm nearly at the end of season 1 and I can't quite put my finger on why I like it so much. Certainly very different.

GhostOfEscobar

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024