Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
LWB - we need a crosser not a dribbler 14:53 - May 18 with 959 viewsjayessess

After the recent Kyle Edwards thread I was pondering the left wing back role and was thinking about the defensive shape problem.

I think it's clear from the way we set up with Thompson that McKenna does not think our defensive shape works if both wing backs play as high as Burns does. That we need a LWB who is ready to drop back into that LB slot if we got caught with Burns up the field. In possession we were also using Thompson as a deeper out ball (he averaged twice as many passes per game as Wes).

So is the solution to the LWB position going to be a player who creates chances in a different way to Burns? Rather than having a player who starts high up the pitch and looks to run in behind we should be looking for one whose best creative work is done from deeper. Burns' pace pushes teams back and resulted in Thompson having a lot of opportunities to put crosses in 20-30 yards from the byline. So what we lack is someone who puts in the kind of crosses that punish teams for defending too deep (Conor Grant and Luke Garbutt come to mind). We need a left wing back who can switch play to Wes and who sends in good crosses (and set pieces!) when the opposition is set in their defensive shape.

What do we reckon?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

LWB - we need a crosser not a dribbler on 14:59 - May 18 with 915 viewshomer_123

Neil Thompson?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

LWB - we need a crosser not a dribbler on 15:15 - May 18 with 875 viewsitfcsuth

Nobody probably fits the bill better than Nicky Cadden.

25 years old, lightening quick attacking wing-back who has a brilliant delivery, including from set pieces. Think his contract may be up this summer as well.

13 assists and 6 goals from LWB at FGR last year.
LWB - we need a crosser not a dribbler on 15:27 - May 18 with 838 viewsdirtyboy

LWB - we need a crosser not a dribbler on 15:15 - May 18 by itfcsuth

Nobody probably fits the bill better than Nicky Cadden.

25 years old, lightening quick attacking wing-back who has a brilliant delivery, including from set pieces. Think his contract may be up this summer as well.

13 assists and 6 goals from LWB at FGR last year.

If you had a player of this ilk, then I can see Piggott being of more use.

Jackson with preferred way of playing, but a Piggott a genuine plan B if you've got a quality crosser.
LWB - we need a crosser not a dribbler on 15:32 - May 18 with 823 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Penney has been confirmed by many players (and McKenna) as having the best crossing ability in the squad, yet he can't get a game.

I think McK is looking for more than a crosser.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

LWB - we need a crosser not a dribbler on 15:50 - May 18 with 773 viewsgosblue

One big difference down the right was that JD and WB were a unit. Thompson was often isolated with no one to partner him and no one to cross to. Jackson worked well down the left channel whereas others often made the wrong runs. Whoever we have at Wing-back needs to get the ball into good areas and let the coaches worry about the forwards not getting on the end of things. Burns and KVY do it so we need a LWB with the same instincts and forwards that can finish.
LWB - we need a crosser not a dribbler on 16:26 - May 18 with 717 viewsVeggie

Can we have a player that can do both please?
LWB - we need a crosser not a dribbler on 16:35 - May 18 with 696 viewsfranz_tyson

Wouldn't mind both a crosser and a dribbler ( or at least someone with pace). The OP mentioned Burns but not Donacien. They're a team up that RH side and I can't see us replicating that with our LCB. Hence, be good to have a LWB who can work independently and is able to both take on a full-back and whip in a cross. Can see why Edwards is being touted as a LWB as he can beat defenders on his own and doesn't need a Donacien - but his end product is worryingly poor.
LWB - we need a crosser not a dribbler on 16:41 - May 18 with 675 viewsGarv

Penney.

I'm confident McKenna will work with him. Chances are he won't be a regular but if you want crossing to be the best attribute of our LWB, you don't look much further than Penney.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

LWB - we need a crosser not a dribbler on 16:47 - May 18 with 660 viewsTerra_Farma

LWB - we need a crosser not a dribbler on 14:59 - May 18 by homer_123

Neil Thompson?

TWTD
LWB - we need a crosser not a dribbler on 17:54 - May 18 with 575 viewsITFC_Josh

LWB - we need a crosser not a dribbler on 16:41 - May 18 by Garv

Penney.

I'm confident McKenna will work with him. Chances are he won't be a regular but if you want crossing to be the best attribute of our LWB, you don't look much further than Penney.

Penney is no where near good enough. The only thing he can do is cross, and he barely does that anyway?
LWB - we need a crosser not a dribbler on 17:57 - May 18 with 567 viewsSwansea_Blue

We just need to find the next Cresser. Simple! In a not at all simple way.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024