Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Mariner biography 15:37 - May 18 with 1497 viewsnodge_blue

Currently reading that.

One of my favourite parts so far is when he describes coming out of the Wembley tunnel and the Ipswich players at that stage being unaware just how many Town fans were there. And they were turning round to look as they emerged and getting goose bumps.

And then he says (unintentionally funny)....I just wish time could have stood still, even if for just one minute.

I think I know what he meant :-)

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Paul Mariner biography on 16:40 - May 18 with 1380 viewsChurchman

Brilliant. I can’t wait to read it.

When the players walked out, I was in the ‘gallery’ standing behind the goal and remember seeing the players looking up. When they came out, after all the nearlys, I knew my dream of watching my team walk out in the FA Cup Final was fulfilled. It was an overwhelming moment for me amongst many that day.

Those too young to have been around then can never quite get how important the FA Cup was then. Its so long ago, but I was lucky to have witnessed it.
Paul Mariner biography on 16:48 - May 18 with 1367 viewsPhilTWTD

It was always a moment he spoke about when talking about the FA Cup win. I used to love hearing him talk about it. Third page of this:

How We Won the Cup - Paul Mariner 6th May 2010 11:27
You may not have spotted it with other matters dominating the media, but today is the 32nd anniversary of Town’s 1-0 FA Cup final victory over Arsenal. To celebrate that great day, we thought we’d rerun the Paul Mariner interview from issue 92 of TWTD in which the Blues’ number nine remembered the cup run and that afternoon at Wembley. 6

Paul Mariner biography on 17:34 - May 18 with 1246 viewsRadioOrwell

And then he says (unintentionally funny)....I just wish time could have stood still, even if for just one minute.

There is nothing wrong with that.
It's perfectly good English. It is completely easy to understand what he means.
Paul Mariner biography on 18:06 - May 18 with 1182 viewsOsborneOneNil

Paul Mariner biography on 17:34 - May 18 by RadioOrwell

You tell him
Paul Mariner biography on 21:03 - May 18 with 966 viewsnodge_blue

Paul Mariner biography on 16:48 - May 18 by PhilTWTD

It was always a moment he spoke about when talking about the FA Cup win. I used to love hearing him talk about it. Third page of this:

How We Won the Cup - Paul Mariner 6th May 2010 11:27
You may not have spotted it with other matters dominating the media, but today is the 32nd anniversary of Town’s 1-0 FA Cup final victory over Arsenal. To celebrate that great day, we thought we’d rerun the Paul Mariner interview from issue 92 of TWTD in which the Blues’ number nine remembered the cup run and that afternoon at Wembley. 6

It only dawned on me today for the first time (reading the book), that we set up 433 that day.

When I think back on the videos Ive watched since its clear that Geddis and Woods were playing wide of Mariner.

How very modern.

I wonder why we didnt try it more, given how successful it was that day.

Paul Mariner biography on 21:10 - May 18 with 950 viewsPhilTWTD

Paul Mariner biography on 21:03 - May 18 by nodge_blue

It only dawned on me today for the first time (reading the book), that we set up 433 that day.

When I think back on the videos Ive watched since its clear that Geddis and Woods were playing wide of Mariner.

How very modern.

The aim was to pin the Arsenal full-backs back, Pat Rice and Sammy Nelson. Was Bobby Ferguson's idea. As you say, worked a charm.
Paul Mariner biography on 21:12 - May 18 with 943 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I guess that if time stood still, even if for just one minute, while reading this thread we would keep reading "I just wish time could have stood still, even if for just one minute."

I am also reading it at the moment. A good read. I intend to read Warky's after which has been sitting on the shelf for a long time.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Paul Mariner biography on 22:13 - May 18 with 866 viewsnodge_blue

If time stands still, how do you measure the passing of a minute?

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Mariner biography on 09:56 - May 19 with 677 viewsArnieM

Paul Mariner biography on 21:03 - May 18 by nodge_blue

How very modern.

SBR was way ahead of his day tbh … Spurs always get a lot of credit for their “ revolutionary” use of the two Argentine players …. But I’d suggest our two Dutchmen had a far greater impact and certainly led SBR to playing a more “continental” way compared to many other clubs at that point in time.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Paul Mariner biography on 12:57 - May 19 with 544 viewsfarkenhell

Paul Mariner biography on 21:12 - May 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

I guess that if time stood still, even if for just one minute, while reading this thread we would keep reading "I just wish time could have stood still, even if for just one minute."

I am also reading it at the moment. A good read. I intend to read Warky's after which has been sitting on the shelf for a long time.

Warky's is a good read.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024