Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer 11:42 - May 19 with 1252 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Poor lad can't catch a break can he. So much hope for him to come through and take the mantle from Broad Anderson.

Worried he is the new Simon Jones.... all the talent but a career ruined by injury

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer on 11:54 - May 19 with 1216 viewsSparky85

Yeah it is so disappointing. We get this a lot. Tymal Mills was another example.

From what I have seen, no one lese is really tearing it up in the CC, which concerns me for test bowling options.
Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer on 11:58 - May 19 with 1212 viewsMookamoo

Most of our quicks are out with similar injuries which suggests something systemic is amiss.

<insert gag about our training facilities here>
Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer on 13:28 - May 19 with 1150 viewsChrisd

Yep, was thinking exactly the same. Even if he does manage to get back bowling and injury free, he isn't going to be quite the same bowler which is a huge shame.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer on 13:32 - May 19 with 1142 viewsCoastalblue

I've seen him bowl a few times in real life when he first burst on to the England scene. I actually though he looked to have a nice easy and relaxed action despite the pace he was generating and remember saying to my nephew how it will hopefully mean he doesn't struggle too much with injuries.

Shows what I know!

A real shame though, for him most of all, he appears to have the attributes to become a top class international bowler.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer on 13:38 - May 19 with 1129 viewsChrisd

Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer on 13:32 - May 19 by Coastalblue

I've seen him bowl a few times in real life when he first burst on to the England scene. I actually though he looked to have a nice easy and relaxed action despite the pace he was generating and remember saying to my nephew how it will hopefully mean he doesn't struggle too much with injuries.

Shows what I know!

A real shame though, for him most of all, he appears to have the attributes to become a top class international bowler.

The pace he bowls provides something different from the mid 80s which the rest of our seamers bowl at. Archer has been a huge loss over the last year or so to our bowling attack, looks like we are going to have to make do without him for another lengthy period. Just hope it can be sorted and he can have a period of playing cricket injury free on his return.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer on 14:07 - May 19 with 1100 viewsgordon

Real shame, hope he can still have a decent career. The fitness problems all our younger fast bowlers seem to be having make Anderson and Broad all the more worth sticking with, whilst they're still fit enough at least.

Hopefully Ollie Robinson gets himself sorted out, Matty Potts gets a go and does well, and Craig Overton has a good summer.
Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer on 14:11 - May 19 with 1092 viewscatch74

I heard some chat on a train juourney, physios who dealt or knew the people working with Archer. Sounded like he might not play Test cricket again. The action is near perfect but he generates extra pace with hyper extending his elbow (or something like that) this has caused the problem and no clear solution.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer on 14:12 - May 19 with 1092 viewsGuthrum

Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer on 11:58 - May 19 by Mookamoo

Most of our quicks are out with similar injuries which suggests something systemic is amiss.

<insert gag about our training facilities here>

Lack of decent spinners and medium pacers to do the heavy work on wickets which aren't seaming or swinging?

The equivalent of Hoggard or Swann occupying an end would allow the quicks to bowl shorter spells.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer on 17:55 - May 19 with 987 viewsgordon

Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer on 14:12 - May 19 by Guthrum

Lack of decent spinners and medium pacers to do the heavy work on wickets which aren't seaming or swinging?

The equivalent of Hoggard or Swann occupying an end would allow the quicks to bowl shorter spells.

It's a mixture - Archer was definitely over-bowled - in his fifth test, he bowled more overs in an innings than Stuart Broad has ever bowled, in his 160 odd tests.

Afterwards, Joe Root said: “He has to learn that there are certain spells where he needs to ramp it up more…the energy and effort have to be there all the time.” Two Test matches later and a stress injury to his elbow ruled him out for the rest of the winter.

https://wisden.com/series-stories/england-v-india/how-badly-did-england-mismanag
Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer on 22:04 - May 19 with 923 viewsMelford

I've started playing Cricket this season at the age of 43 after not playing since 1999. I only bowl dobby off-spin off a 5 pace walk-up to the crease but on starting again after all these years out made me realise how many moving parts there are involved in a bowling action. I think you must use every part of your body apart from your wanger, from head to toe it's all involved. After the first couple of 90 minute net sessions I had this season I could barely walk the next day.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer on 22:12 - May 19 with 912 viewsXYZ

Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer on 22:04 - May 19 by Melford

I've started playing Cricket this season at the age of 43 after not playing since 1999. I only bowl dobby off-spin off a 5 pace walk-up to the crease but on starting again after all these years out made me realise how many moving parts there are involved in a bowling action. I think you must use every part of your body apart from your wanger, from head to toe it's all involved. After the first couple of 90 minute net sessions I had this season I could barely walk the next day.

The bowling action is like a dance move.

Good luck. A lot of twisting down the left side bowling offies. Not good with a dodgy old knee.
Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer on 22:27 - May 19 with 896 viewsmylittletown

Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer on 22:04 - May 19 by Melford

Bowling a decent offie requires a good turn round and over your left knee which is very hard going. It can also be hard on your left ankle.

There is quite a lot of talk that a classic action is actually bad news for very quick bowler, almost for the same reason. Quite a number of really quick bowlers who managed to remain largely free of back trouble had pretty front on actions, left foot pointed at the slips.
Cf Walsh, Procter, Ambrose, Marshall, Wasim Akram (right foot)
Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer on 22:45 - May 19 with 881 viewsMelford

Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer on 22:27 - May 19 by mylittletown

Bowling a decent offie requires a good turn round and over your left knee which is very hard going. It can also be hard on your left ankle.

There is quite a lot of talk that a classic action is actually bad news for very quick bowler, almost for the same reason. Quite a number of really quick bowlers who managed to remain largely free of back trouble had pretty front on actions, left foot pointed at the slips.
Cf Walsh, Procter, Ambrose, Marshall, Wasim Akram (right foot)

My knees and ankles have been Ok so far, it's my calves, thigh muscles and lower back I've had problems with.

Lee O'Neil got the piss taken out of him for saying the human body isn't designed to play football, I would say it's definitely not designed to be a fast bowler.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer on 10:01 - May 20 with 807 viewsmylittletown

Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer on 22:45 - May 19 by Melford

My knees and ankles have been Ok so far, it's my calves, thigh muscles and lower back I've had problems with.

Lee O'Neil got the piss taken out of him for saying the human body isn't designed to play football, I would say it's definitely not designed to be a fast bowler.

You are obviously not getting through your action properly, otherwise you would have bad knees as well!
Spot on though, there few less natural things in sport than a bowling action.
Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer on 18:48 - May 20 with 720 viewsstonojnr

Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer on 14:11 - May 19 by catch74

I heard some chat on a train juourney, physios who dealt or knew the people working with Archer. Sounded like he might not play Test cricket again. The action is near perfect but he generates extra pace with hyper extending his elbow (or something like that) this has caused the problem and no clear solution.

I've always said I don't think he'll play test cricket again because of these injuries.

And its the world Cup games that did it, he was injured then, but they couldn't afford to not play him to rest up because the ECB goal was to win the WC, so they gave him painkillers every game to get through. Mission accomplished they won the WC through his bowling but ultimately curtailed his cricketing career.

I do think sometimes sporting teams as a whole should have more care of duty with their players, Dyers injuries could likely be traced to the fact we played him in too many games too often at Town, same with Owen at Liverpool.
Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer on 19:27 - May 20 with 694 viewsXYZ

Jofra Archer ruled out for the summer on 18:48 - May 20 by stonojnr

I've always said I don't think he'll play test cricket again because of these injuries.

And its the world Cup games that did it, he was injured then, but they couldn't afford to not play him to rest up because the ECB goal was to win the WC, so they gave him painkillers every game to get through. Mission accomplished they won the WC through his bowling but ultimately curtailed his cricketing career.

I do think sometimes sporting teams as a whole should have more care of duty with their players, Dyers injuries could likely be traced to the fact we played him in too many games too often at Town, same with Owen at Liverpool.

I fear you may be correct, which is a dreadful shame for him and for test cricket.

I hope England have him well insured - he could lose a fortune if he's unable to play again. Criminal if the over-bowling and playing-through-injury stories are true.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024