Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have I imagined this 13:26 - May 20 with 2067 viewsBobbychase

Or is it accepted wisdom that our first game of the season will be away, to allow more time for work on Portman Road? I assume this is something the club can request.

Which would mean our first home game is likely to be Saturday August 6th (unless there is some TV interference)

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Have I imagined this on 13:29 - May 20 with 2019 viewsKieran_Knows

I imagine that will be the case.

Hopefully we're not at home on the 27th August (or a decent away game for that matter) as it's when I get married!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Have I imagined this on 13:32 - May 20 with 1991 viewsMeadowlark

Have I imagined this on 13:29 - May 20 by Kieran_Knows

Hopefully we're not at home on the 27th August (or a decent away game for that matter) as it's when I get married!

Unfirtunately, as it's a Saturday it will be one or the other....
Have I imagined this on 13:37 - May 20 with 1948 viewsxrayspecs

I think you have imagined this. The dug out works could be completed in a couple of weeks. It looks from the photos earlier this week that the new retaining walls were being installed. After that, it is mainly cosmetic and fitting out, which would not be a reason to postpone a game.

Changes to the retaining walls for Churchmans and Cobbold also appear to have limited impact on the stadium and match day facilities. Even if the new gates have not been installed, the area could be closed off to fans so should not impact match days.
Have I imagined this on 13:52 - May 20 with 1892 viewsSitfcB

Has been suggested on here a couple of times and think it’s a good point, we have put a request in who knows.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Have I imagined this on 13:55 - May 20 with 1860 viewsberkstractorboy

Have I imagined this on 13:37 - May 20 by xrayspecs

I think you have imagined this. The dug out works could be completed in a couple of weeks. It looks from the photos earlier this week that the new retaining walls were being installed. After that, it is mainly cosmetic and fitting out, which would not be a reason to postpone a game.

Changes to the retaining walls for Churchmans and Cobbold also appear to have limited impact on the stadium and match day facilities. Even if the new gates have not been installed, the area could be closed off to fans so should not impact match days.

Aren't they completely replacing the pitch which I don't think will be ready for start of season or did that work get postponed?
Have I imagined this on 13:57 - May 20 with 1848 viewsitfcjoe

I wouldn't have thought it's necessary, we are only doing the usual on the pitch this close season - next season when more extensive works happen we may need to save that request for

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Have I imagined this on 14:02 - May 20 with 1801 viewsITFC_Forever

I don't remember reading it anywhere, the works that we are doing this close season should be finished in time.

I'm hoping we get Plymouth or Exeter away first game as we are down in Cornwall then (2/46 or 1/23 chance), not that those coming from East Anglia / Midlands / Home Counties will appreciate travelling down the M5 (or even worse the A303) on a Saturday in August.

Failing that, someone non-descript for 30/07 and 06/08 would be good.
[Post edited 20 May 2022 14:15]

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Have I imagined this on 14:04 - May 20 with 1766 viewsclive_baker

Have I imagined this on 13:55 - May 20 by berkstractorboy

Aren't they completely replacing the pitch which I don't think will be ready for start of season or did that work get postponed?

Just standard pitch maintenance, which will be ready for the new season. It looks more substantial than it is as the top layer of turf gets removed.

Think the full pitch rebuild is planned for next season, where I guess we'll be keeping up with all premier league teams and the vast majority of Championship clubs by installing a hybrid (part grass, part synthetic) pitch.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

Have I imagined this on 14:04 - May 20 with 1763 viewswkj

I always prefer an away game for the first of a season as I am on holiday that time of year.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Have I imagined this on 14:06 - May 20 with 1751 viewsOsborneOneNil

Have I imagined this on 13:29 - May 20 by Kieran_Knows

Don't do it!!!

Only kidding...
Have I imagined this on 14:06 - May 20 with 1751 viewswkj

Have I imagined this on 14:04 - May 20 by clive_baker

Just standard pitch maintenance, which will be ready for the new season. It looks more substantial than it is as the top layer of turf gets removed.

Think the full pitch rebuild is planned for next season, where I guess we'll be keeping up with all premier league teams and the vast majority of Championship clubs by installing a hybrid (part grass, part synthetic) pitch.

In all honesty, I think it is well past due to install this type of pitch. I was resistant for a long time, but having seen how bad the pitch can get over recent seasons, I think it's time.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Have I imagined this on 14:12 - May 20 with 1723 viewsclive_baker

Have I imagined this on 14:06 - May 20 by wkj

In all honesty, I think it is well past due to install this type of pitch. I was resistant for a long time, but having seen how bad the pitch can get over recent seasons, I think it's time.

Yes it's definitely time. There was a school of thought that such pitches increased the risk of particular injuries, but I think the sample size is now large enough to dismiss that. The majority of the 44 clubs above us in the pyramid have it already, definitely the way to go but it isn't a 5 minute job, so I would imagine we will kick it off immediately after the final home game of the season. I'm sure MA and co are hoping we don't have a 2nd leg playoff match at PR this time next year as that extra couple of weeks could be crucial. Ideally we end the season away and run away with the league so we can have the confidence nice and early that work can start in late April '23. We can but dream.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Have I imagined this on 14:14 - May 20 with 1707 viewsFixed_It

Have I imagined this on 14:02 - May 20 by ITFC_Forever

I don't remember reading it anywhere, the works that we are doing this close season should be finished in time.

I'm hoping we get Plymouth or Exeter away first game as we are down in Cornwall then (2/46 or 1/23 chance), not that those coming from East Anglia / Midlands / Home Counties will appreciate travelling down the M5 (or even worse the A303) on a Saturday in August.

Failing that, someone non-descript for 30/07 and 06/08 would be good.
[Post edited 20 May 2022 14:15]

Plenty of potential West Country fixtures for us summer vacationers to hope for. Although I suspect they'll be mainly in the depths of winter...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Have I imagined this on 14:16 - May 20 with 1676 viewsitfcjoe

Have I imagined this on 14:12 - May 20 by clive_baker

Yes it's definitely time. There was a school of thought that such pitches increased the risk of particular injuries, but I think the sample size is now large enough to dismiss that. The majority of the 44 clubs above us in the pyramid have it already, definitely the way to go but it isn't a 5 minute job, so I would imagine we will kick it off immediately after the final home game of the season. I'm sure MA and co are hoping we don't have a 2nd leg playoff match at PR this time next year as that extra couple of weeks could be crucial. Ideally we end the season away and run away with the league so we can have the confidence nice and early that work can start in late April '23. We can but dream.

They basically couldn't do it this year as wouldn't have had the planning permission in place to knock down that corner early enough to start the works, which ideally they'll be shooing the players off the pitch on their lap of honour to get started!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Have I imagined this on 14:18 - May 20 with 1668 viewsITFC_Forever

Have I imagined this on 14:14 - May 20 by Fixed_It

Plenty of potential West Country fixtures for us summer vacationers to hope for. Although I suspect they'll be mainly in the depths of winter...

Not sure I'll be able to justify to the wife and kids going any further than Plymouth or Exeter for football in the middle of our summer holiday... Bristol Rovers is 3-4 hours on a Saturday at that time of year from the North Cornish coast - Cheltenham and Forest Green further still.

While I'm at it, non-descript away games would be appreciated for:
17/09 (at a wedding in York)
08/10
19/11

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Have I imagined this on 14:20 - May 20 with 1651 viewsFixed_It

Have I imagined this on 14:06 - May 20 by OsborneOneNil

Don't do it!!!

Only kidding...

I'm not sure his fiance will see your warning...

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Have I imagined this on 14:33 - May 20 with 1594 viewsFixed_It

Have I imagined this on 14:18 - May 20 by ITFC_Forever

Not sure I'll be able to justify to the wife and kids going any further than Plymouth or Exeter for football in the middle of our summer holiday... Bristol Rovers is 3-4 hours on a Saturday at that time of year from the North Cornish coast - Cheltenham and Forest Green further still.

While I'm at it, non-descript away games would be appreciated for:
17/09 (at a wedding in York)
08/10
19/11

I actually got a provisional pass to return to Ipswich for the first game last season (from Devon) - until I saw the prices of the rail tickets and the times involved.
Exeter away would be ace - literally anout 20 minutes away!

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Have I imagined this on 16:27 - May 20 with 1293 viewsberkstractorboy

Have I imagined this on 14:04 - May 20 by clive_baker

Thanks CB that's what I thought was happening but I was a year early.
Have I imagined this on 16:46 - May 20 with 1244 viewsIllinoisblue

I don’t think you imagined it but I think it was a quote from Ashton or O’Leary in a Phil story about general ground improvements and how you have to plan ahead. And would apply next season if they relay the pitch and do other stuff

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Have I imagined this on 18:50 - May 20 with 1082 viewsSitfcB

Have I imagined this on 14:06 - May 20 by wkj

4 years ago we were the only team in the top 2 divisions without a desso pitch.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Have I imagined this on 19:08 - May 20 with 1046 viewsFrimleyBlue

Have I imagined this on 18:50 - May 20 by SitfcB

4 years ago we were the only team in the top 2 divisions without a desso pitch.

3 years ago we probably were the only club to buy homebase value grass seed for pitch refurbishments.
[Post edited 20 May 2022 19:19]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Have I imagined this on 08:23 - May 21 with 790 viewstextbackup

Have I imagined this on 14:20 - May 20 by Fixed_It

I'm not sure his fiance will see your warning...

her dad might

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024