Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mackems vs Wycombe 10:06 - May 21 with 5754 viewsSteve_M

Camden is full of Mackems this morning, I didn’t have the heart to tell them they will probably get sh1thoused by Wycombe today.

Think I would rather Sunderland go up, they will definitely be competitive next season but I’m not sure Wycombe will be. Obviously Sunderland messing it up badly would also be quite funny.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Mackems vs Wycombe on 15:43 - May 21 with 1571 viewsSteve_M

Mackems vs Wycombe on 15:15 - May 21 by EastTownBlue

Stockdale. WTF ?

He used to be good….

Mackems vs Wycombe on 15:44 - May 21 with 1563 viewsSteve_M

Mackems vs Wycombe on 13:18 - May 21 by Lord_Lucan

Just seen this.

Amazing stuff. I’m welling up!

I like the way he goes and thanks his Mum at the end too, good kid.

Mackems vs Wycombe on 15:50 - May 21 with 1539 viewsIllinoisblue

Mackems vs Wycombe on 11:03 - May 21 by davblue

If Wycombe can keep Ainsworth they should be in the mix, they’ve improved year on year he’s been there, whatever you don’t agree with their playing style he’s done an outstanding job there.

And as rubbish as Wycombe have looked they finished 13 points above us. We have a lot of work to do.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Mackems vs Wycombe on 15:53 - May 21 with 1523 viewsArnieM

Mackems vs Wycombe on 15:50 - May 21 by Illinoisblue

And as rubbish as Wycombe have looked they finished 13 points above us. We have a lot of work to do.

They came down from Championship with a settled team for the start of the league one season. Town by contrast had s complete clear out of all staff and a complete new squad , who shuck amazement, took half the season to bed in … so those 13 points are what I’d expect tbh …. Let’s see what happens next season when the majority of the squad will still be here snd bedded in ….

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Mackems vs Wycombe on 15:58 - May 21 with 1491 viewsMullet

Mackems vs Wycombe on 10:14 - May 21 by J2BLUE

I think Sunderland can deal with Wycome. We need Sunderland gone. Especially if Derby are taken over and manage to avoid another points deduction.

Absolutely not. Sunderland will play football against us and will suffer more for another year down here.

Wycombe are far more likely to earn us injuries and suspensions and a year of yo yo makes no difference to us. Sunderland a year ahead of us in the Championship could be much worse competition the season after.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Mackems vs Wycombe on 16:03 - May 21 with 1478 viewsjayessess

Mackems vs Wycombe on 15:50 - May 21 by Illinoisblue

You look at the personnel in those 2 teams and it reminds you that the work is mainly coaching and tactics, not personnel.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Mackems vs Wycombe on 16:13 - May 21 with 1434 viewsJDB23

Surprised at how poor Wycombe's deliveries have been. Sunderland clearly the better team but Wycombe have still got into good positions and absolutely wasted them. Sunderland still need to kill the game off though as it only takes one good ball in.
Mackems vs Wycombe on 16:14 - May 21 with 1431 viewsJ2BLUE

Mackems vs Wycombe on 15:58 - May 21 by Mullet

Absolutely not. Sunderland will play football against us and will suffer more for another year down here.

Wycombe are far more likely to earn us injuries and suspensions and a year of yo yo makes no difference to us. Sunderland a year ahead of us in the Championship could be much worse competition the season after.

Completely disagree.

We need the path of least resistance just to get out of this league.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Mackems vs Wycombe on 16:20 - May 21 with 1392 viewsjayessess

Mackems vs Wycombe on 16:13 - May 21 by JDB23

Surprised at how poor Wycombe's deliveries have been. Sunderland clearly the better team but Wycombe have still got into good positions and absolutely wasted them. Sunderland still need to kill the game off though as it only takes one good ball in.

Strikes me that whilst winning headers and clearing long balls feels like the key to defending well against Wycombe (and other similar sides), actually what these teams thrive on is sustained pressure. It's not that their individual set pieces are so brilliant, just that their style generates 20 opportunities to do it every game.

You hold them at arms length mainly by consistently turning defensive long balls into good possession, rather than just clearing it.

Mackems vs Wycombe on 16:24 - May 21 with 1365 viewsJDB23

Mackems vs Wycombe on 16:20 - May 21 by jayessess

Strikes me that whilst winning headers and clearing long balls feels like the key to defending well against Wycombe (and other similar sides), actually what these teams thrive on is sustained pressure. It's not that their individual set pieces are so brilliant, just that their style generates 20 opportunities to do it every game.

You hold them at arms length mainly by consistently turning defensive long balls into good possession, rather than just clearing it.

Yes that’s a good point, they may not have the highest quality but they make you deal with situations over and over again and you only need to take your eye off the ball once and you’re punished.

Like you say, taking control of the game and not allowing that pressure to build is a good way of dealing with that and you have to feel we’re better placed to exploit that under McKenna.
Mackems vs Wycombe on 16:27 - May 21 with 1346 viewsChurchman

Watching these two teams, there’s nothing to them. Stewart up front for Sunderland is decent as is Roberts and one or two other of their players are reasonable, but Wycombe? Dreadful.

Vokes looked a handful in the MK games, but looks like Dobbin put out to pasture in this game. Slow and lethargic.
Mackems vs Wycombe on 16:38 - May 21 with 1297 viewsjayessess

Mackems vs Wycombe on 16:24 - May 21 by JDB23

Yes that’s a good point, they may not have the highest quality but they make you deal with situations over and over again and you only need to take your eye off the ball once and you’re punished.

Like you say, taking control of the game and not allowing that pressure to build is a good way of dealing with that and you have to feel we’re better placed to exploit that under McKenna.

Burton, Cheltenham, Accrington, Cambridge away we absolutely got caught in this trap, where every long ball resulted in a clearance to touch or to an opposing midfielder. You end up coughing up endless free kicks, throw-ins, corners and crossing opportunities.

Mackems vs Wycombe on 16:39 - May 21 with 1282 viewsArnieM

Mackems vs Wycombe on 16:27 - May 21 by Churchman

Watching these two teams, there’s nothing to them. Stewart up front for Sunderland is decent as is Roberts and one or two other of their players are reasonable, but Wycombe? Dreadful.

Vokes looked a handful in the MK games, but looks like Dobbin put out to pasture in this game. Slow and lethargic.

I know our results v Sunderland didn’t go our way but I really wasn’t impressed with one bit . If we don’t go up next season it’ll be criminal !

Oh well that’s them up and out of the way for next season then 👍
[Post edited 21 May 2022 16:41]

Mackems vs Wycombe on 16:43 - May 21 with 1218 viewsArnieM

Mackems vs Wycombe on 15:19 - May 21 by Churchman

Wycombe look lethargic and Sunderland are winning every 50/50

Amazing the effects of adrenaline can have in the busy . Just the right amount and you’re pumped up …. Too much and you’re lethargic !

Mackems vs Wycombe on 16:44 - May 21 with 1210 viewsN2_Blue

Mackems vs Wycombe on 15:58 - May 21 by Mullet

Nonsense

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Mackems vs Wycombe on 16:47 - May 21 with 1181 viewsMullet

Mackems vs Wycombe on 16:44 - May 21 by N2_Blue

Nonsense

Which type of teams have we struggled against the most in this division year after year? Our last performance at Wycombe was very much an outlier in our time in this division.

But apart from that, yeah nonsense.

Mackems vs Wycombe on 16:50 - May 21 with 1163 viewsMullet

Mackems vs Wycombe on 15:17 - May 21 by Illinoisblue

Terrible goalkeeping. And terrible from Wycombe to let the Sunderland player to run from halfway unchallenged

Looked like he froze for that second one too.

Mackems vs Wycombe on 16:51 - May 21 with 1148 viewsjayessess

Mackems vs Wycombe on 16:47 - May 21 by Mullet

Which type of teams have we struggled against the most in this division year after year? Our last performance at Wycombe was very much an outlier in our time in this division.

But apart from that, yeah nonsense.

Our record against Sunderland in this league is drawn 2, lost 4, won 0.

Mackems vs Wycombe on 16:54 - May 21 with 1127 viewsChurchman

Mackems vs Wycombe on 16:39 - May 21 by ArnieM

I know our results v Sunderland didn’t go our way but I really wasn’t impressed with one bit . If we don’t go up next season it’ll be criminal !

Agreed. Sunderland aren’t up to much, WW much less. The same goes for most of the teams in that tinpot division.

If we can find a goal scorer or two, we will be more than fine. It’s up to us. No excuses.
Mackems vs Wycombe on 16:56 - May 21 with 1111 viewsMullet

Mackems vs Wycombe on 16:51 - May 21 by jayessess

Our record against Sunderland in this league is drawn 2, lost 4, won 0.

It is, but my point was about teams like Wycombe vs Sunderland. Given the utter dross we've had in charge you'll not find many head to heads that favour us when 11th placed finishes happen and top six don't.

I'd fancy us in a tactical match up under McKenna any day than trying to outmuscle and break down teams happy to kick players and balls out of touch every chance they get. Let alone the fact that Sunderland probably won't come back down now they've gone up for a long time.

Mackems vs Wycombe on 17:00 - May 21 with 1078 viewsSteve_M

Mackems vs Wycombe on 16:39 - May 21 by ArnieM

At PR in December we were largely better than them, but they didn’t give up many clear chances and stepped it up for 15 minutes after half-time. That spell got them a point because it was a level above what we could manage at the time.

Mackems vs Wycombe on 17:00 - May 21 with 1075 viewsMach_foreignBlue

A big: 'WHAT IF'

What if we had appointed Alex Neil? He was reportedly keen to talk to us about the managerial position. Why, why, why on bloody earth didn't we appoint him?

They have changed the manager and it paid off. We did the same and what? We're still in a midtable club in this league.

1 defeat in 18 games. Their squad was in a disarray when Neil took over and what a job. They fully deserved their promotion for this appointment in particular.
[Post edited 21 May 2022 17:03]
Mackems vs Wycombe on 17:02 - May 21 with 1045 viewsSteve_M

At least we can look forward to Alex Neill winning at Carrow Road and upsetting the inbreds next season.

Mackems vs Wycombe on 17:18 - May 21 with 964 viewsChurchman

Mackems vs Wycombe on 17:00 - May 21 by Mach_foreignBlue

What if we had appointed Alex Neil? He was reportedly keen to talk to us about the managerial position. Why, why, why on bloody earth didn't we appoint him?

They have changed the manager and it paid off. We did the same and what? We're still in a midtable club in this league.

1 defeat in 18 games. Their squad was in a disarray when Neil took over and what a job. They fully deserved their promotion for this appointment in particular.

He’s done a great job with them. They deserved it. Stewart up front is light years better than anything we had and for me made the difference. Roberts and Pritchard too.

I think Neil probably would have done alright with us too, but he can’t make players score goals who don’t have it in them. Given who he managed, how much time do you think he’d have been given here? A month? A game? I’ve no idea but it wouldn’t have been long.

There is nothing wrong with the choice that was made and the rationale behind it.
[Post edited 21 May 2022 17:20]
Mackems vs Wycombe on 17:27 - May 21 with 936 viewsJ2BLUE

Mackems vs Wycombe on 17:00 - May 21 by Mach_foreignBlue

In his 15 league games there they took 7 points more than us. The damage was done. We finished 13 points outside of the play offs. The damage was done by Cook.

'We did the same and what? We're still in a midtable club in this league.'

This is incredibly harsh on McKenna. It's not like he came in and we carried on with Cook's level of results.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024