Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marcus Evans 22:41 - May 21 with 3374 viewsBlueNomad

Now worth £790m according to Sunday Times Rich List. Shame he didn’t spend 1/970th of it in January 2015.
Marcus Evans on 09:14 - May 22 with 2655 viewswkj

I could be wrong, but isn't that quite a reduction in value compared to when he bought us?

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Marcus Evans on 09:38 - May 22 with 2619 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans on 09:14 - May 22 by wkj

I could be wrong, but isn't that quite a reduction in value compared to when he bought us?

He wasn't mentioned on it before he took over here, he evidently hadn't crossed their radar. The first reference to him being on it I can see in our archive was in 2009: "Meanwhile, this year's Sunday Times Rich List has estimated Town owner Marcus Evans's fortune at £400 million, double last year's estimated figure, making him the country's 128th wealthiest person, 269 positions up on last year."

Worth adding that the estimates were always dismissed as nonsense, that there was no way for those assessing his wealth to have made an estimate of any accuracy.

Wright: Keane Has Made An Immediate Impact 25th Apr 2009 08:37
Players' Player of the Year Richard Wright says new manager Roy Keane made an immediate impact after joining the club on Thursday. The former England keeper feels that Keane's appointment will give the final two games of the season an additional edge. 0

Marcus Evans on 09:52 - May 22 with 2559 viewsGuthrum

Marcus Evans on 09:38 - May 22 by PhilTWTD

He wasn't mentioned on it before he took over here, he evidently hadn't crossed their radar. The first reference to him being on it I can see in our archive was in 2009: "Meanwhile, this year's Sunday Times Rich List has estimated Town owner Marcus Evans's fortune at £400 million, double last year's estimated figure, making him the country's 128th wealthiest person, 269 positions up on last year."

Worth adding that the estimates were always dismissed as nonsense, that there was no way for those assessing his wealth to have made an estimate of any accuracy.

Wright: Keane Has Made An Immediate Impact 25th Apr 2009 08:37
Players' Player of the Year Richard Wright says new manager Roy Keane made an immediate impact after joining the club on Thursday. The former England keeper feels that Keane's appointment will give the final two games of the season an additional edge. 0

Part of that comes down to the philosophy of the list. With Evans' businesses, for many years prior to buying Town, headquartered abroad, he didn't really qualify for the STRL. ITFC gave him a formal presence in the country.

A large element of the figures in that list is estimation, but they are educated guesses based on the valuation of companies of a certain size. Of course, a degree of obfustication is beneficial for these wealthy business owners, being useful for both attracting investment and lowering taxes.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Marcus Evans on 10:16 - May 22 with 2487 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans on 09:52 - May 22 by Guthrum

Part of that comes down to the philosophy of the list. With Evans' businesses, for many years prior to buying Town, headquartered abroad, he didn't really qualify for the STRL. ITFC gave him a formal presence in the country.

A large element of the figures in that list is estimation, but they are educated guesses based on the valuation of companies of a certain size. Of course, a degree of obfustication is beneficial for these wealthy business owners, being useful for both attracting investment and lowering taxes.

If I remember rightly, he was a UK resident at that point, even if a lot of his businesses were registered abroad. He had tried to buy the Daily Mirror a few years previously so ought to have been noted at that point.

Indeed, obfuscation and smoke and mirrors accounting is the stock in trade of the super-wealthy so I'm sceptical of how educated the guesses can be. From what I've seen the list has come under greater scrutiny this year for its glorying of excessive wealth at a time when so many are struggling for the basics and its accuracy.
Marcus Evans on 10:22 - May 22 with 2460 viewsNthQldITFC

My pedantry can't allow me not to ask you what or who he would have spent £814,432.99 on? (If it hadn't ended in 99p I wouldn't have bothered posting!)

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Marcus Evans on 10:24 - May 22 with 2450 viewsGuthrum

Marcus Evans on 10:16 - May 22 by PhilTWTD

If I remember rightly, he was a UK resident at that point, even if a lot of his businesses were registered abroad. He had tried to buy the Daily Mirror a few years previously so ought to have been noted at that point.

Indeed, obfuscation and smoke and mirrors accounting is the stock in trade of the super-wealthy so I'm sceptical of how educated the guesses can be. From what I've seen the list has come under greater scrutiny this year for its glorying of excessive wealth at a time when so many are struggling for the basics and its accuracy.

Decades of experience looking at financial documents - the List has been going 30 years and Beresford was a journalist before that. I don't know about nowadays, but there always used to be a very good introduction which outlined the parameters of their assessments.

It's all slightly notional, anyway, as it's obviously nearly impossible to sell these companies for the full price and thus realise those sums in liquid cash.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Marcus Evans on 12:24 - May 22 with 2284 viewsStenvict

Marcus Evans on 10:22 - May 22 by NthQldITFC

My pedantry can't allow me not to ask you what or who he would have spent £814,432.99 on? (If it hadn't ended in 99p I wouldn't have bothered posting!)

One presumes the 7 and the 9 are the wrong way around, and it should equate to £1m.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Marcus Evans on 14:28 - May 22 with 2125 viewsJimmy86

Marcus Evans on 09:14 - May 22 by wkj

Am I right in thinking that Evans made funds available to spend in the Jan and that it was Mick who decided he didn't want to spend? Through fear of rocking the apple cart so to speak... he had got a tight knit squad and then didn't want to pay decent players decent wages type thing.

Swear I remember that was what happened? Mick loved playing the underdog and lived off doing well, having spent no money... if he spent money he would then have been questioned if it went wrong
Login to get fewer ads

Marcus Evans on 17:00 - May 22 with 1961 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Marcus Evans on 12:24 - May 22 by Stenvict

One presumes the 7 and the 9 are the wrong way around, and it should equate to £1m.

Although it is also his current worth so would not have equated to that figure in 2015.

I do wonder whether he easily could have invested significantly more in the club. However, the bigger issue was with the way he ran it more than how much (or little) was spent on players. Spending that supposed million pounds on staffing, infrastructure and getting sound advice (instead of relying on his selected contacts) would have brought bigger returns I am sure.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Marcus Evans on 18:40 - May 22 with 1860 viewsMattinLondon

Marcus Evans on 14:28 - May 22 by Jimmy86

Am I right in thinking that Evans made funds available to spend in the Jan and that it was Mick who decided he didn't want to spend? Through fear of rocking the apple cart so to speak... he had got a tight knit squad and then didn't want to pay decent players decent wages type thing.

Swear I remember that was what happened? Mick loved playing the underdog and lived off doing well, having spent no money... if he spent money he would then have been questioned if it went wrong

Yes, that is how I remember it. Given more money Mick would have been held to account much more by Evans.

Evans was a disaster for the club but Mick also is guilty of adding to the decline of the club.
Marcus Evans on 23:01 - May 22 with 1707 viewsJimmy86

Marcus Evans on 18:40 - May 22 by MattinLondon

Yes, that is how I remember it. Given more money Mick would have been held to account much more by Evans.

Evans was a disaster for the club but Mick also is guilty of adding to the decline of the club.

Well if Mick had have spent money he would then have been there to be shot at, so to speak... he was more than happy to not spend any money, as that then highlighted just what a good job he did with no money.

As much a disaster as Evans was even he wasn't stupid enough to not make funds available in Jan when we were in the top 2 to get us over the line...
Marcus Evans on 23:25 - May 22 with 1681 viewsjeera

Marcus Evans on 23:01 - May 22 by Jimmy86

Well if Mick had have spent money he would then have been there to be shot at, so to speak... he was more than happy to not spend any money, as that then highlighted just what a good job he did with no money.

As much a disaster as Evans was even he wasn't stupid enough to not make funds available in Jan when we were in the top 2 to get us over the line...

Agreed. And it made sense at the time.

We've seen it several times at Town where there's been a close-knit squad doing ok and then the manager has been given money to spend. We've watched it happen and condemned it collectively so I don't understand why this gets misrepresented each time it crops up to be honest.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Marcus Evans on 09:05 - May 23 with 1521 viewsBlueBlood90

I would imagine he'll be worth even more if Huddersfield win the play off final!

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

Marcus Evans on 09:13 - May 23 with 1503 viewsKeno

Marcus Evans on 09:05 - May 23 by BlueBlood90

I would imagine he'll be worth even more if Huddersfield win the play off final!

did he ever buy into Huddersfield?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Marcus Evans on 09:50 - May 23 with 1469 viewsBlueBlood90

Marcus Evans on 09:13 - May 23 by Keno

did he ever buy into Huddersfield?

I thought he had but had a quick look and can't see anywhere that it was ever confirmed.

Hopefully not. He's not the most deserving of success in football.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

Marcus Evans on 09:54 - May 23 with 1462 viewsKeno

Marcus Evans on 09:50 - May 23 by BlueBlood90

I thought he had but had a quick look and can't see anywhere that it was ever confirmed.

I wasn't sure

hopefully he'll buy in at an extortionate price now, and lose shedloads

Marcus Evans on 10:21 - May 23 with 1433 viewsMattinLondon

Marcus Evans on 09:54 - May 23 by Keno

I wasn't sure

hopefully he'll buy in at an extortionate price now, and lose shedloads

He seems to get every single football decision wrong.
Marcus Evans on 10:28 - May 23 with 1405 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans on 09:50 - May 23 by BlueBlood90

No, ultimately never happened. Was a fair way down the line, from what I was told at the time.
Marcus Evans on 10:53 - May 23 with 1372 viewsPrideOfTheEast

His property is probably worth circa 300m if you include his yacht, and plane - 1x in the Boltons (Kensington), 1x Holland Park, estate in Cornwall, and then he has one Ibiza.

Very hard to value his businesses but got to be a few hundred million so you can see how they get to the circa 800m with other cash, investments etc.

He didn’t have liquidity to invest more into the club - simply didn’t and didn’t want to do more.
Marcus Evans on 11:01 - May 23 with 1339 viewsKeno

Marcus Evans on 10:53 - May 23 by PrideOfTheEast

His property is probably worth circa 300m if you include his yacht, and plane - 1x in the Boltons (Kensington), 1x Holland Park, estate in Cornwall, and then he has one Ibiza.

Very hard to value his businesses but got to be a few hundred million so you can see how they get to the circa 800m with other cash, investments etc.

He didn’t have liquidity to invest more into the club - simply didn’t and didn’t want to do more.

Yep but pridey surely he could have re-invested all the tax he savings cos of all the money he was losing by taking it out of the club?

Marcus Evans on 11:16 - May 23 with 1295 viewsPhilTWTD

Yes, I can remember Mick talking about Rodney Marsh Syndrome at a press conference, not wanting to upset the balance of the squad. As it was, he brought in Freddie Sears - whose goals made up for the loss of David McGoldrick to injury - and tried to sign Billy Sharp from Leeds and Anthony Knockaert from Leicester on loan.

There also wasn't quite the same need to get business done in January as there is now at that point as players could be brought in on loan outside the window. Chris Wood was brought in on that basis but never reached full fitness before he was recalled by Leicester.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Marcus Evans on 11:30 - May 23 with 1230 viewsitfcjoe

Where that falls down is that Mick was happy to bring in Chris Wood and Zeki Fryers on emergency loans when window shut - surely he'd have been happy to bring them in on half season loans (which would have been pricier) and not had the situation where we got Wood fit and he got recalled to sit on Leicester's bench when our nemesis David Nugent got injured for a couple of dead rubbers

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Marcus Evans on 11:34 - May 23 with 1206 viewsJ2BLUE

Has his interest on Huddersfield come to an end?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Marcus Evans on 11:39 - May 23 with 1191 viewsBlueNomad

Marcus Evans on 12:24 - May 22 by Stenvict

Yep! My error.
Marcus Evans on 18:32 - May 23 with 976 viewsBrads

Marcus Evans on 11:30 - May 23 by itfcjoe

Where that falls down is that Mick was happy to bring in Chris Wood and Zeki Fryers on emergency loans when window shut - surely he'd have been happy to bring them in on half season loans (which would have been pricier) and not had the situation where we got Wood fit and he got recalled to sit on Leicester's bench when our nemesis David Nugent got injured for a couple of dead rubbers

Think it was probably more that Mick didn’t want to bring people in for the sake of it, had to be better than what we already had or it wasn’t worth the risk of unsettling things…which would have cost more than what Evans was willing to pay.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024