Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights 23:46 - May 21 with 3724 viewsChurchman

This is extended highlights of Beattie’s first game for Ipswich played at Old Trafford in 1972. He was 18. Best, Charlton, Law we’re all playing for United, but the team was in rapid decline.

Ipswich players included Big Al, Mills, Colin Viljoen, Bryan Hamilton, Ian Collard, Chopper Jefferson, Mick Lambert, David Best, Rod Belfitt and Trevor Whymark. Geoff Hammond was sub.

The game featured tackles, no shirt advertising, no histrionics, no ref surrounded, no simulation, big hair, classic kits, black boots and a pitch like a bowling green - it was August! Ipswich also sported their new club badge and a rather classy all blue shirt.

[Post edited 22 May 2022 0:18]
Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 00:39 - May 22 with 2856 viewsmylittletown

Belfitt really looked rubbish didn't he?
Johnson + money for Belfitt is one of the best deals ever at ITFC.
Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 07:21 - May 22 with 2664 viewsArnieM

Oh good find Churchman 👍. What an accomplished debut for the 18yr old KB, I don’t think he put a foot wrong . Sublime forward passes throughout the game - looked like he’d been doing that all his life didn’t he. A bloody awesome player , who in todays game would cost absolute millions and would be a Man City player without a doubt!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 08:06 - May 22 with 2602 viewsChurchman

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 07:21 - May 22 by ArnieM

Oh good find Churchman 👍. What an accomplished debut for the 18yr old KB, I don’t think he put a foot wrong . Sublime forward passes throughout the game - looked like he’d been doing that all his life didn’t he. A bloody awesome player , who in todays game would cost absolute millions and would be a Man City player without a doubt!

He was extraordinary even at 18. Physically, there was no pushing him around even at that age. Apparently, after the game he asked Bobby Charlton for his autograph. Paraphrasing here, Charlton said ‘one day you’ll be the one signing the autographs’ and said he was the nearest thing he’d seen to the great Duncan Edwards.

If Beattie had been transported to now, there’s no top team that wouldn’t want him. Awesome player. I’ve never seen a better defender than KB in his prime.

The footage interested me in that it’s the dawn of Robson’s first really good team. Belfitt was swapped in the October for David Johnson. Ipswich paid £40k plus Belfitt who was valued at £65k. That has to be one of the best bits of business Robson ever did. What Everton were doing, god only knows.

Jefferson also left in October that year, Beattie taking his place alongside Hunter. Jefferson had a well deserved reputation for brutality. Called Chopper or sometimes Hacker, his eyesight was poor so it was said he just clobbered anything moving. He was actually a decent player, but was no Kevin Beattie.

Burley would progress to the team the following season along with Brian Talbot.
Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 08:37 - May 22 with 2541 viewstrncbluearmy

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 08:06 - May 22 by Churchman

He was extraordinary even at 18. Physically, there was no pushing him around even at that age. Apparently, after the game he asked Bobby Charlton for his autograph. Paraphrasing here, Charlton said ‘one day you’ll be the one signing the autographs’ and said he was the nearest thing he’d seen to the great Duncan Edwards.

If Beattie had been transported to now, there’s no top team that wouldn’t want him. Awesome player. I’ve never seen a better defender than KB in his prime.

The footage interested me in that it’s the dawn of Robson’s first really good team. Belfitt was swapped in the October for David Johnson. Ipswich paid £40k plus Belfitt who was valued at £65k. That has to be one of the best bits of business Robson ever did. What Everton were doing, god only knows.

Jefferson also left in October that year, Beattie taking his place alongside Hunter. Jefferson had a well deserved reputation for brutality. Called Chopper or sometimes Hacker, his eyesight was poor so it was said he just clobbered anything moving. He was actually a decent player, but was no Kevin Beattie.

Thanks for that, remember being amazed by the KB header from distance that nearly broke the cross bar.
Good reminder of some of the unsung hero`s, Ian Collard was a fine player and David Best a terrific goalkeeper.
Seems to me there were plenty of players on the pitch both blue and red, that could have done just as well in the modern game
Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 08:48 - May 22 with 2527 viewsFarmerpiles

Great find, thanks for that. Gt to see some some Town players we only know by name, actually in action in a Town shirt. KB was simply our greatest wasn't he, and Mills, makes you realise just how long he served this club. For me our best ever captain.
Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 09:05 - May 22 with 2488 viewsChurchman

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 08:37 - May 22 by trncbluearmy

Thanks for that, remember being amazed by the KB header from distance that nearly broke the cross bar.
Good reminder of some of the unsung hero`s, Ian Collard was a fine player and David Best a terrific goalkeeper.
Seems to me there were plenty of players on the pitch both blue and red, that could have done just as well in the modern game

Agreed. As I said in another thread, Best was the best keeper I saw play for Ipswich.

Collard was a very good player. Compact, could tackle and pick a pass. I seem to remember he got injured a fair amount. Sort of under the radar. An interesting one was Hamilton. My dad didn’t really rate him (though liked him when he met him a few years ago!), but I thought he was great. Midfielder that always seemed to get goals? What was not to like? His record for us was 43 in 153 - not a bad ratio for a midfielder.

Another good player of that time was Peter Morris or Diesel, as he was known.
Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 09:21 - May 22 with 2451 viewsellaandred

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 09:05 - May 22 by Churchman

Agreed. As I said in another thread, Best was the best keeper I saw play for Ipswich.

Collard was a very good player. Compact, could tackle and pick a pass. I seem to remember he got injured a fair amount. Sort of under the radar. An interesting one was Hamilton. My dad didn’t really rate him (though liked him when he met him a few years ago!), but I thought he was great. Midfielder that always seemed to get goals? What was not to like? His record for us was 43 in 153 - not a bad ratio for a midfielder.

That bought back some memories and made me smile. My late Dad didn't really rate Hamilton whereas I did!
I think Hunter and Hamilton were some of the first pieces of SBR's first good team.
Didn't we swop Hunter for Bobby Bell plus some cash?
[Post edited 22 May 2022 9:22]
Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 10:06 - May 22 with 2368 viewsRadlett_blue

David Johnson & quite a few other decent Everton players left the club around that time after details circulated about some potentially illegal activities at Alan Whittle's 21st birthday party the year before.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 10:19 - May 22 with 2349 viewswitchdoctor

nice memories and indeed..what a nice kit..👍
Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 10:28 - May 22 with 2325 viewsChurchman

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 09:21 - May 22 by ellaandred

That bought back some memories and made me smile. My late Dad didn't really rate Hamilton whereas I did!
I think Hunter and Hamilton were some of the first pieces of SBR's first good team.
Didn't we swop Hunter for Bobby Bell plus some cash?
[Post edited 22 May 2022 9:22]

Yes, Bell was part of the Hunter deal. I don’t really remember Bell other than his name, he was fair haired and my grandad moaned about him. Looking him up his career was relatively short.

Hunter was a great addition and the bedrock of Robson’s first good team. Signed in 1971, he was one of my favourite players. With the ball, he at times resembled a drunk trying to find the sh£thouse door. But he rarely gave the ball away and being a strong bloke with a good deal of ability, he rarely had it taken off him either. Monster tackler, tough as old boots, great in the air, good positional sense he was the perfect partner for Beattie. Terrific player.

Why he punched the ball out of the penalty area at Highbury in 78, even he doesn’t know.
[Post edited 22 May 2022 10:29]
Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 10:36 - May 22 with 2256 viewsPendejo

The mention of difficulty picking out the teams for those watching in black and white!

That is a great shirt, hint hint, single colour blue shirt no colour trim, please.

With this and yesterday's nostalgia hammering of Spurs. Goalkeepers without gloves .

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 10:39 - May 22 with 2252 viewsRadlett_blue

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 10:28 - May 22 by Churchman

Yes, Bell was part of the Hunter deal. I don’t really remember Bell other than his name, he was fair haired and my grandad moaned about him. Looking him up his career was relatively short.

Hunter was a great addition and the bedrock of Robson’s first good team. Signed in 1971, he was one of my favourite players. With the ball, he at times resembled a drunk trying to find the sh£thouse door. But he rarely gave the ball away and being a strong bloke with a good deal of ability, he rarely had it taken off him either. Monster tackler, tough as old boots, great in the air, good positional sense he was the perfect partner for Beattie. Terrific player.

Why he punched the ball out of the penalty area at Highbury in 78, even he doesn’t know.

While a shrewd purchaser of players, SBR was also very good at selling players on at good prices when either they were coming to the Autumn of their careers or he had someone better. The sort of players who come to mind are Jefferson, Hammond, Belfitt, Viljoen, Hamilton, Keely, Peddelty, Hill, Woods, Bell, Clarke, Miller & Robertson.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 11:02 - May 22 with 2184 viewsellaandred

Your right.
'Big Al' was a proper player!
One of my favourites (and still is) was Ian Collard. A really good footballer but suffered with injuries.
Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 11:05 - May 22 with 2178 viewsellaandred

I think everyone moaned about Bobby Bell !!
He was in the team when I first started to go to Portman Road.
Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 12:10 - May 22 with 2109 viewslowhouseblue

i liked the commentator's reference to bobby charlton having missed the final 10 minuets of the last game of the previous season because of a business commitment.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 12:31 - May 22 with 2067 viewsellaandred

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 12:10 - May 22 by lowhouseblue

i liked the commentator's reference to bobby charlton having missed the final 10 minuets of the last game of the previous season because of a business commitment.

I think the commentator was Gerald Sinstadt.
Happy to be corrected !!
Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 13:17 - May 22 with 2001 viewsjayessess

Lovely find, thanks!

Beyond Beattie's fine debut and the obvious talents (Whymark and Viljoen stand out for me, funny to watch Mick Mills getting absolutely skinned at the end of it!), a couple of random things stand out:
How quiet are the United fans?
Having never watched that much '70s football and listening to older people I was expecting it to be way more physical than this. There's barely a heavy tackle, few fouls and very stand off defending. Was that normal?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 13:29 - May 22 with 1980 viewsTrequartista

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 12:31 - May 22 by ellaandred

I think the commentator was Gerald Sinstadt.
Happy to be corrected !!

You are correct, Sinstadt commentated on Granada TV matches until 1981 when he was replaced by Martin Tyler, who didn't feel the need to shout "And it's err RECORDED HIGHLIGHTS" on the commentary in those days.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 13:31 - May 22 with 1968 viewsnodge_blue

Pickett fences around the parameters of football pitches is clearly what the modern game lacks.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 13:59 - May 22 with 1912 viewsellaandred

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 13:29 - May 22 by Trequartista

You are correct, Sinstadt commentated on Granada TV matches until 1981 when he was replaced by Martin Tyler, who didn't feel the need to shout "And it's err RECORDED HIGHLIGHTS" on the commentary in those days.

Thanks.
Tyler now shouts '' AND IT'S LIVE'' very loudly !!
Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 15:02 - May 22 with 1833 viewssoupytwist

My mum went out with Jefferson for a short period before I was born in the late 60s. I like to think he was wearing his glasses when he decided she was an attractive young lady!
Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 15:34 - May 22 with 1773 viewsBluespeed225

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 10:36 - May 22 by Pendejo

The mention of difficulty picking out the teams for those watching in black and white!

That is a great shirt, hint hint, single colour blue shirt no colour trim, please.

With this and yesterday's nostalgia hammering of Spurs. Goalkeepers without gloves .

This is my favourite kit of ours. Less is more. I haven’t bought replica shirts since 81, but I would this one!
Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 16:06 - May 22 with 1718 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Ipswich with numbers on their shorts. Didn't realise we had that in those days. Also impressed by the lack of passing back to the keeper (unless that was the other 50 minutes of the match!).

Beattie's header on goal was cracking as was Hamilton's finish for our second. Thought Beattie and Viljoen had really good games. We had the better Best on the pitch on the day.

Thanks for sharing; a good watch.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 16:09 - May 22 with 1707 viewsGlasgowBlue

I loved the all blue and no white trim shirt with a collar. It was the same as the Brazil away shirt.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 16:12 - May 22 with 1698 viewsVic

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 09:05 - May 22 by Churchman

We had some d3cent midfielders didn’t we. Collard was underrated, and Peter Morris passed with a slide rule - the first player who I tried to emulate in the back garden! Viljoen always flattered to deceive - mercurial at times, but just didn’t seem to like tracking back. Couldn’t help notice in the video that a few times he just stood and watched, making no attempt to press or tackle back!

Thanks for posting churchy.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024