Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights 23:46 - May 21 with 3714 viewsChurchman

This is extended highlights of Beattie’s first game for Ipswich played at Old Trafford in 1972. He was 18. Best, Charlton, Law we’re all playing for United, but the team was in rapid decline.

Ipswich players included Big Al, Mills, Colin Viljoen, Bryan Hamilton, Ian Collard, Chopper Jefferson, Mick Lambert, David Best, Rod Belfitt and Trevor Whymark. Geoff Hammond was sub.

The game featured tackles, no shirt advertising, no histrionics, no ref surrounded, no simulation, big hair, classic kits, black boots and a pitch like a bowling green - it was August! Ipswich also sported their new club badge and a rather classy all blue shirt.

[Post edited 22 May 2022 0:18]
Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 16:13 - May 22 with 728 viewsVic

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 10:28 - May 22 by Churchman

Yes, Bell was part of the Hunter deal. I don’t really remember Bell other than his name, he was fair haired and my grandad moaned about him. Looking him up his career was relatively short.

Hunter was a great addition and the bedrock of Robson’s first good team. Signed in 1971, he was one of my favourite players. With the ball, he at times resembled a drunk trying to find the sh£thouse door. But he rarely gave the ball away and being a strong bloke with a good deal of ability, he rarely had it taken off him either. Monster tackler, tough as old boots, great in the air, good positional sense he was the perfect partner for Beattie. Terrific player.

Why he punched the ball out of the penalty area at Highbury in 78, even he doesn’t know.
[Post edited 22 May 2022 10:29]

He has not really changed - lovely bloke, but I really wouldn’t want to mess with him.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 16:16 - May 22 with 729 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 13:59 - May 22 by ellaandred

Thanks.
Tyler now shouts '' AND IT'S LIVE'' very loudly !!

Also the only replays were of the goals. One replay and no endless analysis of every free kick or possible offside etc.

A tactical defensive substitute used 5 minutes from the end.

Was interesting where the referee moved the ball for the free kick after allowing the keeper to line up the wall!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 18:30 - May 22 with 665 viewsChurchman

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 13:17 - May 22 by jayessess

Lovely find, thanks!

Beyond Beattie's fine debut and the obvious talents (Whymark and Viljoen stand out for me, funny to watch Mick Mills getting absolutely skinned at the end of it!), a couple of random things stand out:
How quiet are the United fans?
Having never watched that much '70s football and listening to older people I was expecting it to be way more physical than this. There's barely a heavy tackle, few fouls and very stand off defending. Was that normal?

It could be physical, to the point of leg breaking physical. Watch the Leeds/Chelsea FA Cup replay to see just how brutal it could get. But bye and large, the game ‘self regulated’. If you did a did a bad one, you could guarantee retribution sometime later. No rages, tears, imaginary red cards or screaming. Players knew the rules and got on with it.

In 75 when we played Leeds in the 3rd Replay and debutant Wark was getting the treatment off Clarke (words, knees, foot crushing, nipping, spitting, elbows, Achilles crunches, you name it - I was there close to the pitch and saw it), Hunter ambled to Clarke after about 60 mins and said ‘one more and I’ll break your ffing leg’. He meant it, Allan Clarke got the message and left him alone. It’s how it was.
[Post edited 22 May 2022 18:34]
Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 19:47 - May 22 with 645 viewsChurchman

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 16:13 - May 22 by Vic

He has not really changed - lovely bloke, but I really wouldn’t want to mess with him.

My dad met him, Hamilton and Roger Osborne at one of those ‘evenings with’. He chatted to them afterwards and thought all of them were great. For him it was a bit of an insight, a drink and a laugh with the heroes of my yoof and his yoof + a bit! Lucky him.

Er, no, mess with Big Al at your peril.
Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 09:46 - May 23 with 519 views66notout

Ian Storey-Moore, the United winger, was born in Ipswich.
Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 10:52 - May 23 with 500 viewsRadlett_blue

Kevin Beattie’s Debut Game Highlights on 09:46 - May 23 by 66notout

Ian Storey-Moore, the United winger, was born in Ipswich.

I saw Ian Story-Moore's solitary game for England. He had a header disallowed for offside in a poor 0-0 draw, the highlight of which was seeing how good was a 22 years old Johan Cruyff.
Another good player from that era, Jon Sammels, was also from Ipswich. I guess we didn't have much of a youth structure then, something which was later attributed to the otherwise hopeless manager Jackie Milburn.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024