Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Runners and Riders 2022-23 01:23 - May 22 with 2519 viewsquirkie

Challenging

Sheff Wed - Will be very strong next season
Derby - If no further points deductions should win it
Portsmouth - Going to be stronger next season
Oxford - Maybe last chance of a promotion push for a few seasons
Bolton - Should be stronger next season
Ipswich - HMS piss the league, or 10th, who knows?
MK Dons - Should be as good as last season.
Wycombe - Hope they get relegated out the football league, but like a bad itch, will be there annoying the hell out of everyone.

Mid Table

Barnsley - Can't see a challenge this season
Peterborough - Same
Plymouth Argyle - Going to struggle a bit but not relegation candidates
Charlton - Probably do better than expected but still mid table
Cambridge - Mid table again.
Lincoln - Should do better than last season

Relegation Battle

Accrington - Struggle
Cheltenham - Ditto
Burton - Probably be mid table but may flirt with the bottom a bit
Shrewsbury - Same
Morecambe - Really struggle
Fleetwood - Same
Forest Green Rovers - Put your mortgage on them going straight back down
Exeter - Struggle
Bristol Rovers - Struggle
Port Vale/Mansfield - Struggle

[Post edited 22 May 2022 1:26]

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 06:30 - May 22 with 2372 viewsChondzoresk

I can see Peterborough and Barnsley doing better than mid table….also throw Plymouth in too. It’s going to be a very tight league. We just need to hit the ground running.
Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 07:42 - May 22 with 2271 viewsSTYG

Derby should win it.

In the way Sunderland were going to. Then us. Then Wednesday.

Doesn’t work like that.
Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 07:47 - May 22 with 2259 viewsStu_boy

It's really too early to say who will likely be strong or otherwise until each team has done their transfer business. Mk dons could lose twine and 1 or 2 others which could hamper them. Likewise derby are a mess currently and are likely to have a very different looking squad
Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 08:39 - May 22 with 2167 viewsHackneyblueboy

Peteborough are always strong in League one. Wouldn't write them off. Barnsley as well.

I think Sheff We'd look strong. I imagine they'll keep most of the existing squad. Derby are hard to judge. On paper they should walk the league but nobody knows what their squad will actually look like and we all know teams coming down often take time to adjust.

If MK dons keep their best players and Manning I can see them winning the league. That's a huge If though.

Town - well we simply have to be top 4 minimum this year with KmcK and the investment in the squad. Time will tell but I'm excited.
[Post edited 22 May 2022 8:40]
Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 09:04 - May 22 with 2095 viewsITFC_Forever

Impossible to tell until the transfer window is done.

McDons may lose Manning, Twine and all their loan players have already gone.

Barnsley and Posh are always a threat in this league.

Derby depends on any possible points deductions.

Sheff Wed will be weaker as they will lose players from their squad as they need to reduce the budget.

It’ll be another season with a large gap between the top teams and the bottom, it could quite easily be another large points tally to get in the top two and POs and a low points tally to stay up.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 09:15 - May 22 with 2051 viewsChurchman

Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 09:04 - May 22 by ITFC_Forever

Sheff Wed will be weaker as they will lose players from their squad as they need to reduce the budget.

It’ll be another season with a large gap between the top teams and the bottom, it could quite easily be another large points tally to get in the top two and POs and a low points tally to stay up.

Agree with this.

Sheffield Weds will be interesting. Ok, they beat us at their place but I thought they looked a load of rubbish in the play offs. Bannon + 10.

MKD? Will I suspect be a lot weaker.

Charlton will do better and have £. I doubt they’ll challenge.

Derby are going to go one of two ways. They could even do good start and fade as we did. Turmoil within a club usually permeates to the team in the end.

Bolton will be strong. Their manager has done a great job.

Wycombe? If Ainsworth goes, so will they.

Plymouth? No threat

Portsmouth? I dislike Cowley and his constant whinging, but they’ll be in and around.

P’Boro and Barnsley? One of the two will challenge.

Conclusion? Nothing to fear. A nice settled couple of months, a strengthened forward line and a couple of additions from within the club or outside it and we could well be the team to fear.
Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 09:24 - May 22 with 2027 viewsParisBlue

Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 09:04 - May 22 by ITFC_Forever

Hopefully the bookies are right
https://m.skybet.com/football/sky-bet-league-one/event/29301892

Derby could be anything but will need time to gel. Sheff Weds will be strong, can also see us competing for the same players as them.

As you say there's 10-12 teams in the bottom half who are garbage. That's 60-72 points there. I trust KMc to have a plan for each game, but we must try and win each game, be more attacking, create more chances and then the goals will come, the wins will come and the points will come. We need to be flat track bullies to the bottom half. Cheltenham, Cambridge, Morecombe needs to be 14-18 points, not 4 points like the season just gone.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 10:31 - May 22 with 1923 viewstractorboy1978

Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 06:30 - May 22 by Chondzoresk

I can see Peterborough and Barnsley doing better than mid table….also throw Plymouth in too. It’s going to be a very tight league. We just need to hit the ground running.

Yeah, we need to be at it from the off. Automatic promotion is where we need to be and for that we cannot drift below 2 points per game.

I think it'll be a similar L1 to this year. I think you now have 10-12 teams in this division that are markedly better than the rest.
Login to get fewer ads

Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 10:39 - May 22 with 1896 viewsSheffordBlue

Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 07:47 - May 22 by Stu_boy

It's really too early to say who will likely be strong or otherwise until each team has done their transfer business. Mk dons could lose twine and 1 or 2 others which could hamper them. Likewise derby are a mess currently and are likely to have a very different looking squad

There have also been a few managerial changes already and likely to be more to come. With player changes you can afford a couple of duds and still be okay. Screw up the manager choice (as we've learnt ourselves) and it can be game over for a promotion push quite early.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 11:22 - May 22 with 1822 viewsbilllm

Bolton Barnsley and Ipswich to go up
Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 11:37 - May 22 with 1779 viewstractordownsouth

With the obvious caveats of the transfers not having been done, at a first glance I'd say the ones I disagree with are:

Oxford - the squad is likely to be picked apart a bit so probably mid table
Peterborough - will be pushing for top 6
Exeter - the gap between L1 and L2 is small and they won't lose players like FGR will so mid-table
Bristol Rovers - ditto

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 11:54 - May 22 with 1740 viewsjayessess

On balance I'd say Portsmouth, Oxford, MK Dons and Wycombe are likelier to be less competitive next season. None have the resources to improve on what they have, Wycombe's squad is ageing, the other three will have key players return to parent clubs, two of them might have their manager poached.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 12:49 - May 22 with 1659 viewsSTYG

Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 11:22 - May 22 by billlm

Bolton Barnsley and Ipswich to go up

Can you imagine beating Bolton in the playoffs then Barnsley.

After all. We’ve played Charlton twice in the playoffs. Sheffield United twice. West Ham twice. Bolton twice.

We do like to repeat things.
Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 14:07 - May 22 with 1576 viewsDarth_Koont

Outside of the top 4 or 5 teams in the Prem, it seems quite difficult to predict the rest of the pyramid with much accuracy.

At our level, momentum and confidence seem by far the most important aspects and when those disappear through a bad start – or just don’t hang around for a concerted spell – then even the better squads can finish almost anywhere.

As for us, I feel confident that we have the makings of a good team. But we’ll still be a bit of an unknown quantity while our attack has been stuttering and before we can see if McKenna’s new players make us more effective in that department.

Pronouns: He/Him

Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 15:34 - May 22 with 1440 viewsringwoodblue

One thing for sure, Ipswich nor anyone else is going to p1ss the league next season so we just have to start well and keep in contention. After seeing the playoffs recently I certainly think we have to go up automatically.

Sheff Weds and Posh will be our main competition as I think Derby will take a season to get themselves sorted out.

Poll: How do you feel about the EADT digital subscription?

Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 15:40 - May 22 with 1424 viewsNthsuffolkblue

"Derby - If no further points deductions should win it" just like Sunderland in each of the past 4 seasons.

There is a difference with Derby in that they would have been comfortably mid-table in the Championship without the points deductions but they are not going to keep that side together and they may well still get a further deduction too.

Whilst it is interesting trying to predict who our main rivals will be next season, we need to stop going on historic reputation and worry about being better than all the rest regardless of what their name is.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 15:53 - May 22 with 1383 viewsjayessess

Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 15:40 - May 22 by Nthsuffolkblue

"Derby - If no further points deductions should win it" just like Sunderland in each of the past 4 seasons.

There is a difference with Derby in that they would have been comfortably mid-table in the Championship without the points deductions but they are not going to keep that side together and they may well still get a further deduction too.

Whilst it is interesting trying to predict who our main rivals will be next season, we need to stop going on historic reputation and worry about being better than all the rest regardless of what their name is.

Derby have 5 players whose contracts run longer than June 30. Absolutely impossible to predict what squad they'll show up with August.

(That said, one of the things that really damaged Sunderland was having a lot of extant big contracts for useless players. If Derby's budget for player wages is in any way commensurate with their normal revenue then they should be able to build a better squad than most at this level)

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 17:04 - May 22 with 1281 viewsBobbychase

Derby who only have a few players currently registered? Rude awakening coming for them I expect, going down in a much worse state than we did under Hurst/Lambert/

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 17:39 - May 22 with 1243 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 17:04 - May 22 by Bobbychase

Derby who only have a few players currently registered? Rude awakening coming for them I expect, going down in a much worse state than we did under Hurst/Lambert/

That last part isn't really true though, is it?

They may be a mess but, without the points deduction they would be at least mid-table.

Didn't Bolton have all sorts of trouble (even a points deduction?) and we still finished below them by some distance?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 17:54 - May 22 with 1222 viewsBobbychase

Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 17:39 - May 22 by Nthsuffolkblue

They may be a mess but, without the points deduction they would be at least mid-table.

Didn't Bolton have all sorts of trouble (even a points deduction?) and we still finished below them by some distance?

As a club. We weren't in danger of not existing when we went down.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 18:00 - May 22 with 1208 viewsBig_Jase

Except they are, they currently have about 5 players registered for next year, and a possible points deduction.

I’d be surprised if Derby finished any higher than mid-table.

Poll: Who would actually care if Norwich responded with a plane banner?

Runners and Riders 2022-23 on 19:46 - May 22 with 1111 viewsSeablu

Wigan had the same thing happen to them, mid table until the points deduction.
They came down and nearly went again.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024