Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If there was a general strike would you support it? 07:26 - May 22 with 6240 viewssolomon

I think I’m at the point where I would.
If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:31 - May 22 with 1495 viewsDarth_Koont

Yes.

Not sure what it will achieve with both major parties in the pockets of donors, lobbyists and the billionaire media – not to mention far too many of them constantly patrolling their own self-interest.

But perhaps illustrating how far out of step they are on almost all issues with workers, the poor, the young, minorities and the regions might give Westminster a desperately needed shake-up and wake up.

Pronouns: He/Him

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:32 - May 22 with 1488 viewsKeno

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:31 - May 22 by J2BLUE

Some woman's petition again self service tills has gone viral.

Same sort of thing there. The problem isn't the self service till, the problem is that 100% of the benefits have gone to the employer rather than making us all richer with increased salaries or less time working.

I would love to see a massive backlash against the status quo.
[Post edited 22 May 2022 10:50]

I see what you're proposing but it would be quite something to get that rocking all over the world

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:35 - May 22 with 1479 viewspointofblue

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:31 - May 22 by Darth_Koont

Yes.

Not sure what it will achieve with both major parties in the pockets of donors, lobbyists and the billionaire media – not to mention far too many of them constantly patrolling their own self-interest.

But perhaps illustrating how far out of step they are on almost all issues with workers, the poor, the young, minorities and the regions might give Westminster a desperately needed shake-up and wake up.

Or it will shake up the strikers when the general population calls for more action against them - again, see Extinction Rebellion.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:44 - May 22 with 1463 viewssolomon

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:35 - May 22 by pointofblue

Or it will shake up the strikers when the general population calls for more action against them - again, see Extinction Rebellion.

Thing is though, everyone can now see extinction rebellion were right all along.
If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:45 - May 22 with 1461 viewssolomon

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:31 - May 22 by Darth_Koont

Yes.

Add the environment to that list too.
If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:48 - May 22 with 1458 viewspointofblue

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:44 - May 22 by solomon

Thing is though, everyone can now see extinction rebellion were right all along.

As horrible as it is, do people care enough about that?

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:52 - May 22 with 1446 viewsEly_Blue

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:03 - May 22 by Radlett_blue

And awarding above inflation pay increases would create...higher inflation!
You obviously don't understand economics.

This exactly, what we need to slow inflation is higher interest rates to stop spending, although much of the inflation is driven by 2 things, higher fuel costs, both home heating/energy rises and vehicle fuel costs (this effects everything we buy even if we buy at source) & the shortage of certain goods due to the war in Ukraine.

There are a couple of solutions to the above, government does something to alleviate the fuel crisis (cut the duty/levy that we all pay on every litre we buy - it’s a % not a fixed rate I believe) and the other one could be mitigated against by retailers and the food industry by being creative so that supermarkets aren’t selling items that require these short supply/expensive raw materials coming from Russia/Ukraine.

The last one on the fuel is to renationalise the energy firms, a windfall tax is pie in the sky and it won’t work and is a sticking plaster for a bullet wound

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 11:27 - May 22 with 1401 viewssolomon

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:48 - May 22 by pointofblue

As horrible as it is, do people care enough about that?

Only the most stupid of individuals will ignore it. They can’t be helped and probably can’t be saved.
Login to get fewer ads

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 11:30 - May 22 with 1398 viewssolomon

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:52 - May 22 by Ely_Blue

This exactly, what we need to slow inflation is higher interest rates to stop spending, although much of the inflation is driven by 2 things, higher fuel costs, both home heating/energy rises and vehicle fuel costs (this effects everything we buy even if we buy at source) & the shortage of certain goods due to the war in Ukraine.

There are a couple of solutions to the above, government does something to alleviate the fuel crisis (cut the duty/levy that we all pay on every litre we buy - it’s a % not a fixed rate I believe) and the other one could be mitigated against by retailers and the food industry by being creative so that supermarkets aren’t selling items that require these short supply/expensive raw materials coming from Russia/Ukraine.

The last one on the fuel is to renationalise the energy firms, a windfall tax is pie in the sky and it won’t work and is a sticking plaster for a bullet wound

You’re relying on our leaders being able to empathise with the masses, unfortunately their vast personal wealth streams prevent them from doing this so they won’t, as it does not really exist for them.
If there was a general strike would you support it? on 11:48 - May 22 with 1352 viewsGlasgowBlue

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:32 - May 22 by Keno

I see what you're proposing but it would be quite something to get that rocking all over the world

It's down down to individual choice really. Whatever you want.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 11:58 - May 22 with 1351 viewslongtimefan

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 11:48 - May 22 by GlasgowBlue

It's down down to individual choice really. Whatever you want.

National service is the answer. Everyone In the army now.
If there was a general strike would you support it? on 12:14 - May 22 with 1317 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:52 - May 22 by Ely_Blue

But what we have here is stagflation. The days of GDP obsessed, perpetual growth based economics need to end and those with wealth and power currently will resist it at every step so don't even waste your time thinking about asking nicely!

https://steadystate.org/discover/definition-of-steady-state-economy/

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 12:15 - May 22 with 1317 viewsDarth_Koont

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:45 - May 22 by solomon

Add the environment to that list too.

Absolutely. To be honest, I was thinking about what the UK hasn’t dealt with – and indeed made worse – on its own.

Of course, we’re even more clueless and ignorant on the bigger issues facing the world over the next decade or two. Like climate change and the ensuing global upheaval, the effect of AI/Automation, the next pandemic, aging populations etc.

Yes, that’s human nature but put all that in the usual British insular and status quo-driven politics and it’s hard to see much getting better for younger generations of Brits.

And on a related note, that overall picture of short-sighted, laissez-faire attitude in Westminster is one reason that I see an independent Scotland able to develop much more healthily for its citizens. I just don’t see the political will or vision to get to grips with issues and truly represent the UK’s best interests as a whole. Nor any likelihood of that getting on the agenda with FPTP.

Pronouns: He/Him

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 12:45 - May 22 with 1281 viewspointofblue

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 11:27 - May 22 by solomon

Only the most stupid of individuals will ignore it. They can’t be helped and probably can’t be saved.

I think most care but not enough to accept inconvenience over it. It's not as the XR rebellions led to a national uprising.

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 12:58 - May 22 with 1252 viewsmonytowbray

I can see XR pushing Money Rebellion more soon with CoL Crisis and Policing Bill coming into force (shout out to all the folk who called anyone who warned of the forthcoming regression of our democratic rights an Alarmist in 2019).

I posted about that so long ago I can’t remember the pattern of posts but it was largely met with negativity.

XR and Money Rebellion to get banks to stop eco genocide by monytowbray 23 Nov 2020 11:16
https://twitter.com/money_rebellion/status/1330786017729785857

Sadly to get someone out of a cult you need them to first see they are in a cult and understand how/why they are there. We are too obedient as a nation and until that collectively changes no one is going to care until seats are threatened.

Turn the money tap off and watch what happens. I posted the above thread a year and a half ago, wonder if more people have the appetite to stop paying their bills now?
[Post edited 22 May 2022 13:48]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 13:11 - May 22 with 1229 viewsJ2BLUE

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 12:58 - May 22 by monytowbray

I can see XR pushing Money Rebellion more soon with CoL Crisis and Policing Bill coming into force (shout out to all the folk who called anyone who warned of the forthcoming regression of our democratic rights an Alarmist in 2019).

I posted about that so long ago I can’t remember the pattern of posts but it was largely met with negativity.

XR and Money Rebellion to get banks to stop eco genocide by monytowbray 23 Nov 2020 11:16
https://twitter.com/money_rebellion/status/1330786017729785857

Sadly to get someone out of a cult you need them to first see they are in a cult and understand how/why they are there. We are too obedient as a nation and until that collectively changes no one is going to care until seats are threatened.

Turn the money tap off and watch what happens. I posted the above thread a year and a half ago, wonder if more people have the appetite to stop paying their bills now?
[Post edited 22 May 2022 13:48]

Did you do the credit card thing? Asking purely because I would like to know how it went.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 13:47 - May 22 with 1192 viewsmonytowbray

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 13:11 - May 22 by J2BLUE

Did you do the credit card thing? Asking purely because I would like to know how it went.

I am not gonna go into my personal finances on a public forum.

But I will say if you know your rights and actually understand the system of debt collection you’ll see how powerless it is on an individual basis, as a collective society we could change the way the nation works from top to bottom in a few months.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 13:59 - May 22 with 1176 viewssolomon

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 12:45 - May 22 by pointofblue

I think most care but not enough to accept inconvenience over it. It's not as the XR rebellions led to a national uprising.

That’s because those with a vested interest in fossil fuels are controlling the debate, they rely on the stupidity of their obedient customers to ensure nothing changes, there are far too many ready and wiling to oblige their lies.
If there was a general strike would you support it? on 14:10 - May 22 with 1152 viewsericclacton

oui.
If there was a general strike would you support it? on 14:14 - May 22 with 1134 viewsJ2BLUE

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 13:47 - May 22 by monytowbray

I am not gonna go into my personal finances on a public forum.

But I will say if you know your rights and actually understand the system of debt collection you’ll see how powerless it is on an individual basis, as a collective society we could change the way the nation works from top to bottom in a few months.

Fair enough, cheers.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 14:29 - May 22 with 1112 viewspointofblue

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 13:59 - May 22 by solomon

That’s because those with a vested interest in fossil fuels are controlling the debate, they rely on the stupidity of their obedient customers to ensure nothing changes, there are far too many ready and wiling to oblige their lies.

So how does the direction of travel change in that regard?

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 15:11 - May 22 with 1063 viewssolomon

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 14:29 - May 22 by pointofblue

So how does the direction of travel change in that regard?

Mis information about climate change needs to be urgently addressed as a first point. We need this government to commit to the required investment in infrastructure not the mealy mouthed greenwashing the conservatives seem to think us enough to distract us.
If there was a general strike would you support it? on 20:28 - May 22 with 962 viewsjaykay

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:14 - May 22 by Pinewoodblue

A general strike would be a disaster. It would remind voters of the power the Trades Unions historically have had over the Labour Party. It would destroy the chance of an outright Labour majority come the next election.

The way to control inflation isn’t to demand higher and higher wages, that only fuels even higher inflation. I can remember the times when, in retail, you would get instructions to reprice goods in a regular basis. This meant having to remove old prices, or put stickers over the price prunted on the goods. Books bring a good example of the latter.

Repricing would be easier now just update tills and change shelf prices.

There are key areas that need to be regulated, energy, water , travel not so easy now everything is privatised and far too much of it in foreign hands.

I would also impose a tax on companies buying back shares to hide excess profit.

but people can't see the power big business have over the tory party , strange old world.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 23:51 - May 22 with 901 viewsmylittletown

A serious general strike would hand the next election to the Tories.
If there was a general strike would you support it? on 05:12 - May 23 with 818 viewsBigCommon

No, it's the equivalent of throwing a tantrum.... Doesn't solve anything and just creates disruption for the people who are getting their heads down and trying to deal with life... What next? Storm Westminster like Jan 6th in USA?...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024