Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If there was a general strike would you support it? 07:26 - May 22 with 6235 viewssolomon

I think I’m at the point where I would.
[Redacted] on 13:01 - May 23 with 1419 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
If there was a general strike would you support it? on 13:23 - May 23 with 1384 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Torn on this one. Whilst I think people need to take action against this government, I can’t help but feel this will exasperate current problems.

For me the single most important thing is PR and electoral form so that millions don’t have wasted votes - the rest should follow (perhaps that’s just optimistic thinking).
If there was a general strike would you support it? on 13:34 - May 23 with 1367 viewsFelstow1978

Ah but our comrades will be distracted by the nation's imminent and joyous celebrations that, despite a life of unmatched privilege, Benda has managed not to die during the first 70 years of her reign. Accept the poverty and your misery, plebs, and wave with admiration the flags of your servility. Fck the Toties, fck the Royal Family and the lifeblood they all suck from the working people of this country.

Poll: Isn't it time that HRH Shesgotmyballsinherhand stops feeling the need to preach?

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 13:45 - May 23 with 1349 viewschicoazul

What would a general strike be striking against?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 13:46 - May 23 with 1349 viewsEwan_Oozami

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:03 - May 22 by Radlett_blue

And awarding above inflation pay increases would create...higher inflation!
You obviously don't understand economics.

I Think You'll Find It's a Bit More Complicated Than That....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 14:05 - May 23 with 1323 viewsZapers

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 13:46 - May 23 by Ewan_Oozami

I Think You'll Find It's a Bit More Complicated Than That....

Maybe you would explain why it's a bit more complicated?
I would have thought that logically high wage awards and strike action would definitely increase the inflation rate?
If there was a general strike would you support it? on 14:08 - May 23 with 1313 viewsZapers

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 13:34 - May 23 by Felstow1978

Ah but our comrades will be distracted by the nation's imminent and joyous celebrations that, despite a life of unmatched privilege, Benda has managed not to die during the first 70 years of her reign. Accept the poverty and your misery, plebs, and wave with admiration the flags of your servility. Fck the Toties, fck the Royal Family and the lifeblood they all suck from the working people of this country.

Blimey!
If there was a general strike would you support it? on 14:26 - May 23 with 1293 viewslowhouseblue

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 13:45 - May 23 by chicoazul

i think against the general election result. as someone else pointed out, it has a touch of the trump about it.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Login to get fewer ads

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 14:29 - May 23 with 1266 viewsGlasgowBlue

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 13:34 - May 23 by Felstow1978

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 14:37 - May 23 with 1270 viewsEwan_Oozami

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 13:45 - May 23 by chicoazul

What have you got?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 14:49 - May 23 with 1240 viewsmylittletown

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 14:05 - May 23 by Zapers

Maybe you would explain why it's a bit more complicated?
I would have thought that logically high wage awards and strike action would definitely increase the inflation rate?

It is more complex than that.
High wage awards would probably lead to inflation, but it depends on the Marginal Propensity to Consume, and it also depends what the government are trying to achieve, as to whether that inflation is automatically a bad thing..
In my view our biggest danger is stagflation. We are an unproductive economy/society in developed economy terms, and the worst thing that can happen to us is that we get inflation without real economic growth.
If we could get real economic growth, particularly with a real improvement in productivity, with some inflation it may not be too bad.
This government doesn't appear to have the faintest idea how to generate growth, they are threatening to go back to the idiotic austerity policies of Cameron and Osbourne.
Strikes would, in my view, help them to win the next election, which would be a disaster on many levels.
If there was a general strike would you support it? on 15:55 - May 23 with 1192 viewsZapers

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 14:49 - May 23 by mylittletown

It is more complex than that.
High wage awards would probably lead to inflation, but it depends on the Marginal Propensity to Consume, and it also depends what the government are trying to achieve, as to whether that inflation is automatically a bad thing..
In my view our biggest danger is stagflation. We are an unproductive economy/society in developed economy terms, and the worst thing that can happen to us is that we get inflation without real economic growth.
If we could get real economic growth, particularly with a real improvement in productivity, with some inflation it may not be too bad.
This government doesn't appear to have the faintest idea how to generate growth, they are threatening to go back to the idiotic austerity policies of Cameron and Osbourne.
Strikes would, in my view, help them to win the next election, which would be a disaster on many levels.

Ok, but assuming current inflation rate is circa 9%, if one was awarded a 10% increase in salary, that hardly allows for increased consumer spending. In order to to increase consumer spending wage awards would have to be substantially more than 10%, and that would be inflationary.

Strike action would also likely increase inflation, and possibly dramatically so
If there was a general strike would you support it? on 17:16 - May 23 with 1171 viewscressi

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:03 - May 22 by Radlett_blue

And awarding above inflation pay increases would create...higher inflation!
You obviously don't understand economics.

People on low wages pay the same for what they buy etc come October when utilities go up again and heating is required the shi*e will definitely hit the fan
If there was a general strike would you support it? on 06:42 - Aug 10 with 898 viewssolomon

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 17:16 - May 23 by cressi

People on low wages pay the same for what they buy etc come October when utilities go up again and heating is required the shi*e will definitely hit the fan

October is being trumped by January, what an utterly sad picture for millions of people who will be mired in a never ending spiral of fuel debt whilst a goverment populated by millionaires and multimillionaires sit around and do very little. I can see some civil unrest unfolding in the coming months which will probably turn very ugly, like I’ve said before it looks more like 1822 than 2022.

It’s not the fault of the general population that our fuel strategy has been so I’ll thought out and executed but as usual it will be those with the least who pay the highest price, I feel ashamed to be a citizen of this country right now.
If there was a general strike would you support it? on 08:24 - Aug 10 with 826 viewsElephantintheRoom

Why should there be - and why would anyone want to support it?

The way this country works is that a general election happens every five years in which a minority government gets in leaving the vast majority of voters enraged and frustrated.

The minority government then makes a pigs ear of running the country - to appease their supporters and donors. Sometimes world events can disguise the corruption and incompetence - usually not.

Then the process is repeated. If you’re a Guardian reader with rose tinted glasses thinking a strike can improve the current downward spiral you need a change in prescription. Only the introduction of democracy and some form of consensus government can improve things

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 08:29 - Aug 10 with 824 viewsMullet

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 08:24 - Aug 10 by ElephantintheRoom

Why should there be - and why would anyone want to support it?

The way this country works is that a general election happens every five years in which a minority government gets in leaving the vast majority of voters enraged and frustrated.

The minority government then makes a pigs ear of running the country - to appease their supporters and donors. Sometimes world events can disguise the corruption and incompetence - usually not.

Then the process is repeated. If you’re a Guardian reader with rose tinted glasses thinking a strike can improve the current downward spiral you need a change in prescription. Only the introduction of democracy and some form of consensus government can improve things

Have a day off and stop being such a prick eh?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 08:31 - Aug 10 with 813 viewsElephantintheRoom

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 08:29 - Aug 10 by Mullet

Have a day off and stop being such a prick eh?

Talking to yourself is not a good sign

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 08:39 - Aug 10 with 801 viewsgeg1992

It's amazing how many people are so set on wanting a pay rise above inflation. It's not as simple as that, it will push up inflation, then people will be wanting another pay rise. Wage-Price spiral.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 08:42 - Aug 10 with 777 viewsnoggin

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 08:39 - Aug 10 by geg1992

It's amazing how many people are so set on wanting a pay rise above inflation. It's not as simple as that, it will push up inflation, then people will be wanting another pay rise. Wage-Price spiral.

I don't know the answer, but when won't a real terms pay increase push up inflation? When can workers demand a stop to declining living standards, while watching profits channeled out of the country?
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 10:16]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:07 - Aug 10 with 700 viewssolomon

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 08:39 - Aug 10 by geg1992

People need more money to put the heat on and have food in their bellies, these are basic needs we are talking about not luxuries.
If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:23 - Aug 10 with 677 viewsEddyJ

Labour costs are only one aspect of a company's costs. e.g. if a company gives all workers a 10% pay rise, they might only need to add 3% to prices.

All other costs have already gone up: materials, fuel and transport. Why are labour costs the only thing that "can't go up because it will cause inflation?"

Corporate profits are larger than ever. Pay and bonuses for CEOs are higher than ever.

Why are the bottom 99% so determined to screw ourselves over to protect the profits of the top 1%?
If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:25 - Aug 10 with 675 viewsJ2BLUE

This is so stupid.

Inflation is very high and most of us aren't getting ANY pay rise. It's not about a rise above inflation, it's about doing the same job with a real terms pay cut.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:36 - Aug 10 with 657 viewsEddyJ

I support a general strike, but it needs to have clearly agreed aims. I suppose the only bodies who would be big enough to agree these aims would be the large unions (Unite?) or the Labour Party.

Depending on how ambitious we want to be, aims could include:

* Immediate general election
* Referendum on changing electoral system
* 10% pay rise for all public sector workers earning less than £100k. (this would cause pay rises across the private sector as well).
* A cap on CEO earnings (20x the salary + bonus of the lowest paid?)
* Larger tax on second+ properties. Buy to let tax. Rent caps to ensure this is not passed on to renters.
* Larger tax on dividends, capital gains and shares.

Any of these would help to redress the wealth imbalance in the country.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 10:37]
If there was a general strike would you support it? on 10:41 - Aug 10 with 652 viewshatch

If there was a general strike would you support it? on 08:58 - May 22 by Guthrum

Even at a time of greater ideological commitment, the 1926 General Strike failed due to insufficient support. That was also a time when there were large blocs of unionised labour in heavy industry and mining. I very much doubt it stands any chance of success now.

Fun fact - I found out last week that my great uncle, Sir Arthur Pugh, led the 1926 General Strike.
If there was a general strike would you support it? on 12:08 - Aug 10 with 603 viewstractordownsouth

We don't have a wage-price spiral, we have a profit-price spiral. Most of the inflation today is caused by increases in profits, especially for energy firms.

We're going to need a much bigger windfall tax.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024