Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harper - Keep or move on? 11:40 - May 24 with 1142 viewshype313

It's a tough one to call as he was playng out of position and we were under a funk with Cook at the time, but his loan move didn't sound great, albeit with a struggling team.

Not sure what the best outcome is for him, obviously we don't want to clog up pathways, so is he someone we need to let go as it's just not happened, or do we think there is a player in there that could come of age this season?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Harper - Keep or move on? on 11:42 - May 24 with 1107 viewsRobTheMonk

Give him a pre-season and see how he gets on. Technically looks good, but looked like he was lacking some of the drive that other players have.
Harper - Keep or move on? on 11:45 - May 24 with 1077 viewsKieran_Knows

I suspect it will be a toss up between him and El Mizouni as to who goes out on loan again.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Harper - Keep or move on? on 11:46 - May 24 with 1069 viewsMetal_Hacker

First few looks at him I thought he was different quality. Balance , power and strength

Hoping for a good pre season itv McK in his ear guiding - could be a decent asset

Poll: If it were one or the other

Harper - Keep or move on? on 11:47 - May 24 with 1059 viewsSTYG

Give him pre-season under McKenna to force himself in the 18 and, if not, then loan him out for the season as a mid-table League One club on the basis that he needs to go there and be outstanding to have a future here.
Harper - Keep or move on? on 11:52 - May 24 with 1022 viewsDarth_Koont

Keep. Depends on other signings (Bakinson?) but that central midfield position is completely different to the one at the start of last season.

Firstly because it’s backed up by the 3 CBs behind and wingbacks to the side, which frees up a lot of the defensive responsibility. And also that the CMs will now need to help resolve our attacking issues (think Cook’s 4231 was more about letting that front 4 manage the attacking threat themselves).

As a deep-lying, more combative midfielder Harper didn’t look comfortable, but breaking forward and getting up to the box he often looked very good.

Pronouns: He/Him

Harper - Keep or move on? on 12:14 - May 24 with 932 viewsRegencyBlue

I’d like to see what a season being coached by McKenna could do for him so it’s a keep from me!
Harper - Keep or move on? on 12:18 - May 24 with 914 viewshype313

Harper - Keep or move on? on 11:52 - May 24 by Darth_Koont

Keep. Depends on other signings (Bakinson?) but that central midfield position is completely different to the one at the start of last season.

Firstly because it’s backed up by the 3 CBs behind and wingbacks to the side, which frees up a lot of the defensive responsibility. And also that the CMs will now need to help resolve our attacking issues (think Cook’s 4231 was more about letting that front 4 manage the attacking threat themselves).

As a deep-lying, more combative midfielder Harper didn’t look comfortable, but breaking forward and getting up to the box he often looked very good.

Agreed, he's certainly not a CDM, be interesting to see if McKenna thinks he could do something with him this pre-season.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Harper - Keep or move on? on 14:15 - May 24 with 651 viewsBlueBoots

Harper - Keep or move on? on 11:52 - May 24 by Darth_Koont

This...

Everything I saw of him before he joined us, what struck me was his strength at picking the ball up deep and driving forward. Cook's system was so rigid, having him as a defensive midfielder didn't work (to the extent that Cook started touting him as a "Number 10")

Factor in that he's still only 22, think he'd be an ideal understudy to Morsy - if he can add a bit more streetwise to his game (which usually comes with experience anyway) we could have a very good player on our hands.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Login to get fewer ads

Harper - Keep or move on? on 14:19 - May 24 with 636 viewsBlueandTruesince82

The Lad deserves time. He's still young.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Harper - Keep or move on? on 14:34 - May 24 with 602 viewsjayessess

Harper - Keep or move on? on 14:15 - May 24 by BlueBoots

This...

Everything I saw of him before he joined us, what struck me was his strength at picking the ball up deep and driving forward. Cook's system was so rigid, having him as a defensive midfielder didn't work (to the extent that Cook started touting him as a "Number 10")

Factor in that he's still only 22, think he'd be an ideal understudy to Morsy - if he can add a bit more streetwise to his game (which usually comes with experience anyway) we could have a very good player on our hands.

He was playing in a 3 at Crewe and doesn't seem to have excelled there either.

As far as I can see Harper's main issue is that games pass him by entirely. Across 70+ appearances in senior football he completes less than 20 passes a game, which is less than half what you'd expect from a centre midfielder. He's got similar deficiencies as a defender.

Why that is, I'm not sure. Could be he lacks stamina, reads the game poorly, his off the ball movement is wrong. But he needs to be getting on the ball twice as often and making twice as many defensive actions to hit Lee Evan's contribution. That's not an easy thing to fix.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024