Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cauley Woodrow - good fit? 17:00 - May 24 with 2504 viewsmonty_radio

I've just watched his various show-reels. Lots of great distance strikes; a fair bit of goaline poaching. Not so much evidence of pace breaking between the lines so couldn't really form an opinion on that side of things which you'd have thought would be a pre-requisite for our shape. Opinions?

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Cauley Woodrow - good fit? on 18:38 - May 24 with 2295 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Feel like we’ve been linked with him quite a lot in past 5/6 years.. He was definitely a name that was thrown around when Mick was here, but as always he went elsewhere. I know he was highly rated as a youngster and Fulham rated him highly.

Think we tried to sign him on loan and he went on loan to Burton instead, think we were linked again before he went to Brizzle.. might just be Agent talk of course

I like him, good physically and technically and can run the channels as well as play with his back to goal. Think in a decent system he would be a top striker in L1
Cauley Woodrow - good fit? on 18:40 - May 24 with 2284 viewswkj

Is he really any better than Ryan Hardie and Cole Stockton? I have a hard time thinking that he is. He's always been a low scorer season on season. Whilst I am all about strikers like Jackson who create scoring chances more than scoring - we really don't need another.

Unless we get him for relative peanuts, it's a solid pass for me.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Cauley Woodrow - good fit? on 18:46 - May 24 with 2247 viewscressi

Cauley Woodrow - good fit? on 18:40 - May 24 by wkj

Is he really any better than Ryan Hardie and Cole Stockton? I have a hard time thinking that he is. He's always been a low scorer season on season. Whilst I am all about strikers like Jackson who create scoring chances more than scoring - we really don't need another.

Cole Stockton one good season more clubs than Tiger Woods what pedigree
Cauley Woodrow - good fit? on 18:48 - May 24 with 2235 viewswkj

Cauley Woodrow - good fit? on 18:46 - May 24 by cressi

Cole Stockton one good season more clubs than Tiger Woods what pedigree

I dont disagree, but I have to add another name when I wax lyrical about Ryan Hardie or else people will think I have an OriginalMightyPness for him

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Cauley Woodrow - good fit? on 18:49 - May 24 with 2230 viewsVeggie

Best ask all those ‘statisticians’ out there
[Post edited 24 May 2022 18:54]
Cauley Woodrow - good fit? on 18:56 - May 24 with 2179 viewsMullet

I really like him, and he's come off a bad season so the potential value is there. It really depends on what kind of team McK wants and if he likes a focal point striker or wants all of the front line scoring equally.

I think expecting him to be a 20+ man is a big ask, regardless of the store put in McK's coaching but likewise, you'd fancy him as a project we could flip potentially. It also raises questions about whether it means Piggott has to go or the two can be rotated.

Calling striker signings this summer is really hard as we got rid of and retained an interesting mix from a cohort who didn't score nearly enough.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Cauley Woodrow - good fit? on 19:12 - May 24 with 2084 viewsmonty_radio

Cauley Woodrow - good fit? on 18:56 - May 24 by Mullet

I really like him, and he's come off a bad season so the potential value is there. It really depends on what kind of team McK wants and if he likes a focal point striker or wants all of the front line scoring equally.

I think expecting him to be a 20+ man is a big ask, regardless of the store put in McK's coaching but likewise, you'd fancy him as a project we could flip potentially. It also raises questions about whether it means Piggott has to go or the two can be rotated.

Calling striker signings this summer is really hard as we got rid of and retained an interesting mix from a cohort who didn't score nearly enough.

From that cohort Norwood was the nearest to a poacher, but without playing as a second striker he had nothin g to feed off. Woodrow looks better on the ball as you would expect from a striker with a better pedigree. But whoever we end up with I guess that McKenna's system is not likely to field a big 20 goal-a-season No 9

Cauley Woodrow - good fit? on 19:30 - May 24 with 2013 viewsNthQldITFC

Cauley Woodrow - good fit? on 18:48 - May 24 by wkj

I dont disagree, but I have to add another name when I wax lyrical about Ryan Hardie or else people will think I have an OriginalMightyPness for him

Now I've seen the video you keep punting about, he's having that effect on me too!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

Cauley Woodrow - good fit? on 19:30 - May 24 with 2015 viewsTomTheWriter

Not for me. Just another Pigott-type striker who we know doesn’t work in McKenna’s system. We don’t need to have a striker to hold onto ball, because we already have the ‘midfield 4’ that you can’t get the ball off of, we need a striker who is going to break the lines. We were arguably the slowest team in League One last season, especially when Edwards and Jackson got injured.

Think about a counter attacking situation away to a bigger side that won’t be sitting back, could you imagine a Cauley Woodrow turning as from defending to a goal in 10 seconds? You lose the ball against MK Dons, Twine and Parrott are running at your defence. Sunderland? Clarke and Roberts are steaming at you. We relied too heavily on Wes Burns last season to get in behind the opposition. How many times do he cut the ball back and no one was there to score because none of our players could catch him up?

Right now, i’d say George Hirst is far ahead of Cauley Woodrow

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

Cauley Woodrow - good fit? on 19:46 - May 24 with 1952 viewsmonty_radio

Cauley Woodrow - good fit? on 19:30 - May 24 by TomTheWriter

Not for me. Just another Pigott-type striker who we know doesn’t work in McKenna’s system. We don’t need to have a striker to hold onto ball, because we already have the ‘midfield 4’ that you can’t get the ball off of, we need a striker who is going to break the lines. We were arguably the slowest team in League One last season, especially when Edwards and Jackson got injured.

Think about a counter attacking situation away to a bigger side that won’t be sitting back, could you imagine a Cauley Woodrow turning as from defending to a goal in 10 seconds? You lose the ball against MK Dons, Twine and Parrott are running at your defence. Sunderland? Clarke and Roberts are steaming at you. We relied too heavily on Wes Burns last season to get in behind the opposition. How many times do he cut the ball back and no one was there to score because none of our players could catch him up?

Right now, i’d say George Hirst is far ahead of Cauley Woodrow

Having watched Hirst's reel at Pompey he seemed fairly similar to Woodrow to me. He scored more, but then he wasn't in a relegated side. Only two examples of him personally breaking the lines or keeping pace with a Burns-like surge. Some good No 9 goals, though.

Cauley Woodrow - good fit? on 20:40 - May 24 with 1830 viewsFrimleyBlue

Not linked. But Josh Windass is in America at the moment. ;)

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Cauley Woodrow - good fit? on 20:44 - May 24 with 1821 viewsitfcsuth

Not too sure on this one.

Had a poor season in a poor side. Would be interested his stats without penalties - seems a high % are from penalty spot (still have to convert, but not always guaranteed penalties in a season).

Seems to be a good link up player, but seems to lack pace in behind.

Not sure he fits our system or style.
Cauley Woodrow - good fit? on 20:54 - May 24 with 1782 viewsParky

Cauley Woodrow - good fit? on 18:40 - May 24 by wkj

I’m not saying he’s better or the man we need, but saying “he’s always been a low scorer season on season” is a bit unfair imo.

He scored 16 goals in 31 appearances in his last time out in League One. (Which mirrors Hardie this season, which is his best ever season).

He’s scored 44 goals in the Championship which neither Hardie or Stockton have ever done.

Stockton has done remarkably well this season, but not been exactly prolific prior, playing mostly in League Two and lower.

Again, not saying Woodrow is the answer or Hardie and/or Stockton aren’t, but think your comment’s harsh when comparing with players who have never played above League One.
[Post edited 24 May 2022 20:58]
Cauley Woodrow - good fit? on 20:56 - May 24 with 1776 viewsBlueandTruesince82

It's not one that inspires me TBH but equally with all the talk of where supposedly shopping IDK if I'm just over expecting.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Cauley Woodrow - good fit? on 21:36 - May 24 with 1673 viewsTomTheWriter

Cauley Woodrow - good fit? on 19:46 - May 24 by monty_radio

Having watched Hirst's reel at Pompey he seemed fairly similar to Woodrow to me. He scored more, but then he wasn't in a relegated side. Only two examples of him personally breaking the lines or keeping pace with a Burns-like surge. Some good No 9 goals, though.

Put out a comparison between Hirst and Woodrow on Twitter earlier. What Woodrow has in his armour is a strong ability to hold and distribute the ball the other attackers.

However, he ranks as one of the poorest strikers in the Championship this season for his general attacking stats. He's not breaking the lines, he's not getting on the ball in the box, he loses out in battles with strikers.

You then look at Hirst (the right picture, blue pin-wheel), he outplays Woodrow in all the attacking attributes. Plus, he is four years younger.

It's more about style then anything. Why sell Pigott, after one season, and then replace him with someone older, for at least £1million, who has 4 goals in 25 starts this season, and is the exact same player. Woodrow is a link-up man, we don't need another creative player in the side. We need someone who is going to get us an extra 30 yards up the field and playing on the opposition penalty box, not facing our goal about 35 yards out.

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024