Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich v Wolves April 1973 21:53 - May 24 with 1414 viewsChurchman

Following on from the post showing a bit of Kevin Beattie’s debut, this match was at the season’s end and Robson’s first top team was coming together. From the pictures the team was Best, Mills, Harper, Beattie, Hunter, Viljoen, Hamilton, Morris, Whymark, Johnson, Lambert.

What I noticed was how terrible the pitch was and ours was one of the best in the league at that time. Players sliding and splodging about all over the place. How good a player Whymark was and Mills, especially when he avoided that player diving to grab him. Morris: good player and a great goal

The best bit was Viljoen’s spat with the centre half. An elbow, a kick, swinging fists and a double sending off.

Ipswich v Wolves April 1973 on 22:23 - May 24 with 1345 viewsellaandred

I was in the Churchmans. I remember the double sending off. Quite rare in those days.
Ipswich v Wolves April 1973 on 23:16 - May 24 with 1284 viewsArnieM

Ha ha just look at that pitch . Players today would walk off in disgust ! Lol

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Ipswich v Wolves April 1973 on 23:31 - May 24 with 1270 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Ipswich v Wolves April 1973 on 22:23 - May 24 by ellaandred

I was in the Churchmans. I remember the double sending off. Quite rare in those days.

When did they start using cards? Strange to see them simply ordered off the pitch. Did they book players without showing a yellow card too?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Ipswich v Wolves April 1973 on 00:00 - May 25 with 1247 viewsChurchman

Ipswich v Wolves April 1973 on 23:31 - May 24 by Nthsuffolkblue

When did they start using cards? Strange to see them simply ordered off the pitch. Did they book players without showing a yellow card too?

I looked it up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23634720

They first appeared in the 1970 Mexico World Cup and in England in Oct 1976. David Wagstaffe of Blackburn (best known for his Wolves appearances) was the first player to get one and a certain George Best playing for Fulham the second.

Back in the day, the ref just scribbled in a little black book. No yellow cards. Nobody thought anything of it. Basically you virtually had to assault somebody to get a booking, yet alone a red. It’s actually strange that Wagstaffe’s was for arguing with the ref and Best’s for foul and abusive language. The tackle from behind was fine and a good crunching tackle, ball or man or both was perfectly normal. Happy days.
Ipswich v Wolves April 1973 on 11:09 - May 25 with 1032 viewsBluespeed225

Lovely stuff. Whymarks' understated celebration, great energy from Harps' to start the move. That kit, still our best.
Ipswich v Wolves April 1973 on 11:15 - May 25 with 1027 viewsbracknell_blue

Me too. A good game as I remember and definitely the sendings ogg stay in the memory.

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

Ipswich v Wolves April 1973 on 11:21 - May 25 with 1025 viewsmylittletown

I was at that game!

Whymark was always criminally underrated. One of the best in the air, ever. A good touch and a a hard worker. Johnson and Mariner looked better for playing alongside him.

Considering that he played 42 times for England, I have always thought that Mick Mills was underrated as well. He was playing in natural position in that game, but from not long afterwards, he spent almost all of his ITFC career playing on the 'wrong' side of the back 4 to accommodate George Burley. And he was one of the best left backs in the country as well.
Ipswich v Wolves April 1973 on 16:10 - May 25 with 871 viewsChurchman

Ipswich v Wolves April 1973 on 11:21 - May 25 by mylittletown

I was at that game!

Whymark was always criminally underrated. One of the best in the air, ever. A good touch and a a hard worker. Johnson and Mariner looked better for playing alongside him.

Considering that he played 42 times for England, I have always thought that Mick Mills was underrated as well. He was playing in natural position in that game, but from not long afterwards, he spent almost all of his ITFC career playing on the 'wrong' side of the back 4 to accommodate George Burley. And he was one of the best left backs in the country as well.

Mills wasn’t the worst midfielder you will ever see either. Yes, somehow he is a bit ‘under the radar’

If anyone deserved a statue it was him, thinking about it.
Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich v Wolves April 1973 on 17:52 - May 25 with 825 viewsmylittletown

Ipswich v Wolves April 1973 on 16:10 - May 25 by Churchman

Mills wasn’t the worst midfielder you will ever see either. Yes, somehow he is a bit ‘under the radar’

I agree. Really he was the common factor through all the great ITFC teams in Sir Bobby's era, and I guessing that he must be the most capped ITFC England player?
Butcher played a lot more for England but I would have thought that a lot of those would have been as a Rangers player?
Ipswich v Wolves April 1973 on 19:03 - May 25 with 781 viewscarlisleaway

Great game and seeing standing in the East stand. Loved the speed of the ball boy to pick up the toilet paper thrown from the North after Whymark had scored.
Ipswich v Wolves April 1973 on 19:08 - May 25 with 772 viewsDJR

Ipswich v Wolves April 1973 on 11:15 - May 25 by bracknell_blue

Me too. A good game as I remember and definitely the sendings ogg stay in the memory.

You've both got better memories than me! I was growing up in Ipswich in the late 60s and 70s and went to all home games, so would have been there, but I can't remember a thing about the game.
Ipswich v Wolves April 1973 on 19:16 - May 25 with 758 viewsDJR

Ipswich v Wolves April 1973 on 16:10 - May 25 by Churchman

Absolutely. I suppose he wasn't a flashy player or a person with a flamboyant personality, which meant he never got the credit he deserved. But he was a very good player, and no player represents Ipswich more than him.
Ipswich v Wolves April 1973 on 19:53 - May 25 with 740 viewsellaandred

Ipswich v Wolves April 1973 on 19:08 - May 25 by DJR

You've both got better memories than me! I was growing up in Ipswich in the late 60s and 70s and went to all home games, so would have been there, but I can't remember a thing about the game.

I think the referee was Gordon Kew.
Happy to be corrected.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024