Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dog bites man 07:57 - May 25 with 430 viewsfab_lover

As the old adage has it, "dog bites man" (i.e. a commonplace occurrence) is not news, whereas "man bites dog" is.

There has been yet another mass shooting in the USA, as we know. Now this might sound callous on my behalf, but when I think of the upset that news causes us (yes, an infinitesimal fraction of that caused to the families involved) I just think "why do we even need to know about this any more ?"

In this country, we had Hungerford. We banned one type of weapon. We then had Dunblane, and we banned others. It was quite simple, there was no "right" which trumped the rights of our kids to not be shot.

The Americans (and yes, not all of them, but a majority of them) have not made that decision. There have been so, so many "atrocities" that frankly another one won't make any difference. It never does.

So, it's "dog bites man" in terms of news, I'm afraid. Perhaps the best reaction the world could have is just to print a small headline, with no details except numbers, every time this happens:

"Americans lose another xx children to their love of guns".

Then at least that way those of us who don't put guns ahead of our children's lives don't need to read or hear graphic upsetting details of the latest senseless massacre.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024