Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can we really do better than Cauley Woodrow? 13:26 - May 25 with 1892 viewsBonneNIL

A lot of our supporters seem disappointed with the idea we might be signing Cauley Woodrow from Barnsley, on the basis that we should be doing better and some are outright calling it lazy from Ashton, as he signed him for Bristol City in 2017 on loan. The argument is we can do better. Can we? We are a big fish in this league, but we've had 3 mid-table finishes in the third division, and let's be honest had Gamechanger not bought us we'd probably be facing a season ahead with average gates of about 8k and a feeling of total misery. I get why some may think we can do better, but we've lost our place in football and we won't be bringing in superstar players, nor can we with the rules on wages in L1, and I expect Gamechanger will be more cautious with some of the spending this window after the disaster of last summer.

He's a player with a ton of experience playing in the Championship, still in his 20's, has represented England at U21 level, and even got promoted with Barnsley from League One. He's scored close to 50 goals for Barnsley, his goal ratio frankly obliterates Jackson's for us over the same period who has scored what 4/5 goals a season and was a total flop in the Championship. People were excited we resigned Jackson, who I still believe is a flop and will disappear now he has that contract. I don't understand why Woodrow isn't a good signing? I think he ticks all the boxes, he's scored 30 odd goals in the league above over the past 2 seasons as well. We haven't had a striker get more than, what, 12 in this league?

He could potentially be a very good signing.

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

Can we really do better than Cauley Woodrow? on 13:48 - May 25 with 1778 viewsOsborneOneNil

Yep, sign him up.
Can we really do better than Cauley Woodrow? on 14:09 - May 25 with 1710 viewsitfcsuth

I don't think he's a bad striker at all, but I don't particularly see him fitting our system by looking through his reel shows.

He looks to me like he does his best work dropping deeper, lacks pace, rarely runs off the shoulders, and has a large % of goals from the penalty spot.

I just have a personal opinion he wouldn't suit our style, just like I don't think Pigott is a bad centre forward, he just doesn't suit our style or system.
Can we really do better than Cauley Woodrow? on 20:10 - May 25 with 1406 viewsVeggie

We have a whole new recruitment department and fresh new young coaches. I can’t believe that the best they can come up with between them is a signing a player because Mark Ashton previously signed him.
Can we really do better than Cauley Woodrow? on 21:13 - May 25 with 1275 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

You are hugely underestimating the ambition of GC20, and where on earth do you get the "would be averaging 8k per game" from? Whilst this guy wouldn't be a terrible signing, I think it may be a bit of disinformation from the club and the media contacts. We never hear about the real targets until the deal is done. And as for Jackson, I was one of his biggest critics, but what KMcK has done with him is astonishing - you just can't look at Kayden's record over the last 3 years and extrapolate it. He is now playing a different role, is brimming with confidence, and able to show what he can do with his exceptional physical attributes. KJ will not be our main goalscorer, that is not his role running the channels. But GC20 will bring in some high profile goalscorers, of that I have no doubt.

Poll: would you rather

Can we really do better than Cauley Woodrow? on 21:53 - May 25 with 1185 viewsitfcjoe

Can we really do better than Cauley Woodrow? on 21:13 - May 25 by LegendofthePhoenix

You are hugely underestimating the ambition of GC20, and where on earth do you get the "would be averaging 8k per game" from? Whilst this guy wouldn't be a terrible signing, I think it may be a bit of disinformation from the club and the media contacts. We never hear about the real targets until the deal is done. And as for Jackson, I was one of his biggest critics, but what KMcK has done with him is astonishing - you just can't look at Kayden's record over the last 3 years and extrapolate it. He is now playing a different role, is brimming with confidence, and able to show what he can do with his exceptional physical attributes. KJ will not be our main goalscorer, that is not his role running the channels. But GC20 will bring in some high profile goalscorers, of that I have no doubt.

The majority of signings were picked up by TWTD or EADT before they signed - not sure things are as secret as made out!

Woodrow is a 26 year old striker with best part of 200 Champ games under his belt, the England U21 caps mentioned and averages a goal every 270 minutes in Champ.

I'm not saying he's the answer - I have my doubts re system fit - but calibre wise it would be a coup to attract him to a L1 club

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Can we really do better than Cauley Woodrow? on 22:04 - May 25 with 1155 viewsVeggie

MA: “So guys, who is our main striker target this year? Any suggestions?”

Entire expensively assembled recruitment and coaching setup: “Erm. Not really Mark. Sorry.How about you?”

MA: “Well I did once sign Cauley Woodrow. He was ok. Bit older now and didn’t have a great season, but I’ve got his agent’s number. Worth a go?”

Entire expensively assembled recruitment and coaching setup: “Yeah why not?”
[Post edited 25 May 2022 22:04]
Can we really do better than Cauley Woodrow? on 22:18 - May 25 with 1118 viewsTomTheWriter

The position that I am taking this season, is that we are not looking to sign the ‘best’ players - we are looking to sign the ‘right’ players.

Woodrow is a solid Championship striker. He would score 20 goals for Rotherham, he would score 20 goals for Wycombe, he would score 20 goals for Sheffield Wednesday.

However, I think he’d score 5 goals for MK Dons. 5 goals for Oxford. 5 goals for Ipswich.

Under Mick and the ‘3 Paul’s’, it was about signing players and forcing them into a formation/style. Under McKenna, it is about signing players who can already play a certain way, and improve exponentially from there on.

Are MK Don’s signing the best players each season? Not really - Parrott struggled with us, Twine shinned at the bottom of the league, Eisa couldn’t get a game for Posh. Their front 3 worked because they fit a style. Pigott joined with 25 goals, but doesn’t fit the style. Look what happened.

If this was Cook, or Lambert, or even Big Mick, i’d be all for a Cauley Woodrow to lead the line. Under McKenna, it is pointless to sign a 27-year-old for over £1mill that we know already has the complete wrong play style to succeed at Ipswich

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

Can we really do better than Cauley Woodrow? on 22:27 - May 25 with 1100 viewshave_a_word_with_him

Can we really do better than Cauley Woodrow? on 22:04 - May 25 by Veggie

MA: “So guys, who is our main striker target this year? Any suggestions?”

Entire expensively assembled recruitment and coaching setup: “Erm. Not really Mark. Sorry.How about you?”

MA: “Well I did once sign Cauley Woodrow. He was ok. Bit older now and didn’t have a great season, but I’ve got his agent’s number. Worth a go?”

Entire expensively assembled recruitment and coaching setup: “Yeah why not?”
[Post edited 25 May 2022 22:04]

I believe they call this trolling?
Login to get fewer ads

Can we really do better than Cauley Woodrow? on 23:10 - May 25 with 1041 viewsmarchy

Can we really do better than Cauley Woodrow? on 22:27 - May 25 by have_a_word_with_him

I believe they call this trolling?

Probably a bad line, the word was "tosser".
Can we really do better than Cauley Woodrow? on 12:22 - May 26 with 836 viewsBonneNIL

Can we really do better than Cauley Woodrow? on 21:13 - May 25 by LegendofthePhoenix

Are you telling me that if Evans had remained we would be getting over 8k a game next season? We'd have just finished mid-table under Cook with a new squad of Marcus Evans bargain bin signings rather than the Gamechanger ones, and there is no way Evans would have paid out to sack Cook so quickly either. It would have been a terrible season, there was no way Evans would have financed Walton, Morsy, Chaplin, Burns, Celina, Bonne, and co. We'd have been lucky to get Joe Piggott and Fraser.

The point I was making there is, that we are sadly an established League One club, players and their agents know this, and it doesn't matter how ambitious you are, we are still bound by FFP, we are still bound by League One spending rules and we are still a mid-table third division team in the eyes of the wider game. We have no divine right, there are big clubs in this league now, and the three teams coming down should be strong and will also have a bigger appeal for the better players in this league to sign for because they don't have the same wage restrictions. We had two free hits without restrictions and Marcus Evans decided to go cheap and that's why we are here. We can't buy our way out of the mess.

Gamechanger themselves have spent close to what £60-70mil on the club between buying it and financing this season's losses and all the changes in what just over a year. They arent a bottomless pit either, their funders are going to want to see a return and I can see the pension fund pulling the plug if theres no progress in a couple of years.

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

Can we really do better than Cauley Woodrow? on 12:34 - May 26 with 805 viewsitfcjoe

Can we really do better than Cauley Woodrow? on 12:22 - May 26 by BonneNIL

Are you telling me that if Evans had remained we would be getting over 8k a game next season? We'd have just finished mid-table under Cook with a new squad of Marcus Evans bargain bin signings rather than the Gamechanger ones, and there is no way Evans would have paid out to sack Cook so quickly either. It would have been a terrible season, there was no way Evans would have financed Walton, Morsy, Chaplin, Burns, Celina, Bonne, and co. We'd have been lucky to get Joe Piggott and Fraser.

The point I was making there is, that we are sadly an established League One club, players and their agents know this, and it doesn't matter how ambitious you are, we are still bound by FFP, we are still bound by League One spending rules and we are still a mid-table third division team in the eyes of the wider game. We have no divine right, there are big clubs in this league now, and the three teams coming down should be strong and will also have a bigger appeal for the better players in this league to sign for because they don't have the same wage restrictions. We had two free hits without restrictions and Marcus Evans decided to go cheap and that's why we are here. We can't buy our way out of the mess.

Gamechanger themselves have spent close to what £60-70mil on the club between buying it and financing this season's losses and all the changes in what just over a year. They arent a bottomless pit either, their funders are going to want to see a return and I can see the pension fund pulling the plug if theres no progress in a couple of years.

I don't think your middle paragraph is correct - we are already being linked with players from 2 of the 3 teams that have come down because they are in a big financial hole

We are a big hitter at this level, and will be able to go toe-to-toe with any other club and some at the level above as we did last year - for all talks of where people see the club etc it all boils down to money and if you offer the best contracts you'll get the players most of the times - money talks

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Can we really do better than Cauley Woodrow? on 12:41 - May 26 with 785 viewsBseaBlue

Can we really do better than Cauley Woodrow? on 12:34 - May 26 by itfcjoe

I don't think your middle paragraph is correct - we are already being linked with players from 2 of the 3 teams that have come down because they are in a big financial hole

We are a big hitter at this level, and will be able to go toe-to-toe with any other club and some at the level above as we did last year - for all talks of where people see the club etc it all boils down to money and if you offer the best contracts you'll get the players most of the times - money talks

Indeed and it will be the future potential of earnings which is the real selling point for players. I would imagine the wage increases based on promotion will see us comfortably competing with teams in the middle to play off end of the Championship should we go up.
Can we really do better than Cauley Woodrow? on 13:05 - May 26 with 729 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Can we really do better than Cauley Woodrow? on 14:45 - May 26 with 644 viewsmarkchips

Can we really do better than Cauley Woodrow? on 12:41 - May 26 by BseaBlue

Indeed and it will be the future potential of earnings which is the real selling point for players. I would imagine the wage increases based on promotion will see us comfortably competing with teams in the middle to play off end of the Championship should we go up.

We really need to be doing better than this.

Why not sell off all the fringe players that are unlikely to play apart from in the cups and play the youngsters instead. They will probably do better than the reserves.

Then use the saved wages and any small fees raised to get in a real quality striker or two , not someone who has been injured with an average goal return with questions marks over their compatability to McKenna's system.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024