Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Elizabeth Line 10:21 - May 26 with 3158 viewsunbelievablue

I'm sure there are a few threads on this but I couldn't see any near the top of the board.

Over-budget and delayed to hell but absolutely glorious. I took it this morning from Abbey Wood (my GF bought her place near there a few years' back based on the line supposedly opening in 2018) to Farringdon and it took exactly 20 minutes, which is ludicrous. It only stops 5 times between the two stations (Woolwich, Custom House, Canary Wharf, Whitechapel, Liverpool Street). The Thameslink which I used to take for the same journey had 12 stops and took 44 minutes.

The trains (and platforms, obviously) are really long. The carriages are spacious, wide seats etc. which makes for a far more comfortable journey. Decent aircon considering it is hot at the moment. The biggest surprise is how quiet and smooth it is for a tube line. It's surreal. The stations are beautiful too.

All is forgiven.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Elizabeth Line on 14:27 - May 26 with 867 viewsDarth_Koont

Elizabeth Line on 10:24 - May 26 by Steve_M

Not been on it yet but will do so soon. Shame the Heathrow bit isn't open as going there tomorrow and would be a good reason.

It looks amazing.

And before anyone starts about London getting all the investment, please read this:

Personally I'm in favour of the full HS2 and much better infrastructure across the north of the UK, just that the Treasury isn't.

“Those projects can act as a CATALYST for investment elsewhere in the UK” Trickle-down infrastructure?

I think it’s ridiculous how out of step London is with the rest of the country. It’s the centre of the most centralised country in the OECD, not some shining example of success in its own right. We need to start sharing this stuff out – money, jobs, power – rather than thinking this is somehow beneficial for the nation as a whole.

Pronouns: He/Him

Elizabeth Line on 14:57 - May 26 with 842 viewsSteve_M

Elizabeth Line on 13:45 - May 26 by unbelievablue

You can connect to that bit underground, but the station itself is more of a joint station between Moorgate & Liverpool Street so I believe it has a different exit and entrance. I haven't done the LLS changeover yet but if and when I do I'll come back to you.

Going for a drink in the City tonight come to think of it, so will check it out as that's where I'll get the train home from.
[Post edited 26 May 2022 13:46]

It would be easier to walk out the front I think and then slightly right at Liverpool Street.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5177292,-0.0841743,3a,52.2y,71.17h,86.13t/data

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Elizabeth Line on 15:04 - May 26 with 833 viewsHARRY10

Elizabeth Line on 13:53 - May 26 by MattinLondon

Tends to stay in the middle but in her younger days was used on the right.

"Personally I'm in favour of the full HS2 and much better infrastructure across the north of the UK, just that the Treasury isn't"

I'm sure there are those in favour of the stage coach, canals and sailing ships - but this huge white elephant which is pretty much obsolete, 20 years before it will be finished, says much about the backward looking country we have become.

Ever more, trade, work and social life is being carried out on the internet. Working from home (in varied forms) is becoming the norm, as the imperative now is to move data to people. NOT people to a place where they can only process data.

Spending over £100 billion and growing on something that will save 20 minutes off a journey of a couple of hours is taking absurdity to a whole new level. We are already seeing rail journeys being cut due to reduced use. The 'Leeds' part has been removed, and it is only to avoid loss of face, and money, that this buffoonery has not been scrapped.

Levelling up, is just another worthless Tory slogan. Without any understanding of why the North has been neglected - empty promises will do nothing but over excite the thick. The heavy industries that originally provided much of the work, and migration, to various towns has long gone, it will never return, however much guff is spouted.

The UK will continue to see regions losing their brightest and best, as will the UK, stuck in a backward looking mindset. There are umpteen under/not used airports around the globe, just as there are sites in the UK originally earmarked for ever bigger out of towns shops - based on the thought that nothing would change, other than their constant growth.

The UK's motor bike and car industry failed in part fie to a lack of investment, much as we are doing now. The UK lags behind much of Europe in fast fibre broadband coverage, preferring to recreate the past rather than build for the future.

'Neglected' regions can be reinvigorated by allowing youngsters to stay, and by inward movement of skilled professionals able to work there through access to fast fibre broadband. The attraction of living in a pleasant part of the country, with far less of your salary spent on housing is already growing - it needs encouraging, not choking off through wasting money on worthless projects that are not even in demand now, never mind in 20 years.

Let's plan and build for the future generations - doubtlessly they will do things different to what we have known (for many varied reasons) but that is no excuse to block progress.

We either embrace the future, or try to cling on to the past. Sadly I believe there are too many of t'he latter running our lives at the moment.
Elizabeth Line on 15:51 - May 26 with 803 viewsITFC_Forever

Elizabeth Line on 14:57 - May 26 by Steve_M

It would be easier to walk out the front I think and then slightly right at Liverpool Street.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5177292,-0.0841743,3a,52.2y,71.17h,86.13t/data

That looks like the corner of McDonalds in the distance... so judging by where the street steps are, they must lead down to the same area as the ticket barriers for the rest of the tubes at Liv St?

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Elizabeth Line on 15:52 - May 26 with 796 viewsJakeITFC

Elizabeth Line on 15:51 - May 26 by ITFC_Forever

That looks like the corner of McDonalds in the distance... so judging by where the street steps are, they must lead down to the same area as the ticket barriers for the rest of the tubes at Liv St?

Yes, up the stairs towards Mcdonalds, outside and right and you'll see the Elizabeth Line entrance.
Elizabeth Line on 16:01 - May 26 with 784 viewsStokieBlue

Elizabeth Line on 13:45 - May 26 by unbelievablue

You can connect to that bit underground, but the station itself is more of a joint station between Moorgate & Liverpool Street so I believe it has a different exit and entrance. I haven't done the LLS changeover yet but if and when I do I'll come back to you.

Going for a drink in the City tonight come to think of it, so will check it out as that's where I'll get the train home from.
[Post edited 26 May 2022 13:46]

It was very easy to just walk through the normal entrance in Liverpool Street station to the Central and Circle lines (below the stairs up to McDonalds) and then just walk right about 50m and the escalators head down into a nice dedicated tunnel for the Elizabeth line.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Elizabeth Line on 16:30 - May 26 with 746 viewsITFC_Forever

Elizabeth Line on 16:01 - May 26 by StokieBlue

It was very easy to just walk through the normal entrance in Liverpool Street station to the Central and Circle lines (below the stairs up to McDonalds) and then just walk right about 50m and the escalators head down into a nice dedicated tunnel for the Elizabeth line.

SB

I assume it's well sign-posted so two not very worldy-wise daughters can find their way?

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Elizabeth Line on 22:23 - May 26 with 659 viewsRadlett_blue

Everything is forgiven apart from the ludicrous royal toadying decision to call it something other than the obvious "Crossrail".

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Elizabeth Line on 06:41 - May 27 with 612 viewsnoggin

Not been on it yet but will do so soon. Shame the Heathrow bit isn't open as going there tomorrow and would be a good reason.

It looks amazing.

And before anyone starts about London getting all the investment, please read this:

Personally I'm in favour of the full HS2 and much better infrastructure across the north of the UK, just that the Treasury isn't.

Talking of TFL, I was in London last weekend and had to use the Jubilee Line a few times. WTF with the screeching noise? Surely that must be dangerous levels of noise for regular users?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Elizabeth Line on 08:53 - May 27 with 589 viewsBloomBlue

Elizabeth Line on 06:41 - May 27 by noggin

Talking of TFL, I was in London last weekend and had to use the Jubilee Line a few times. WTF with the screeching noise? Surely that must be dangerous levels of noise for regular users?

I've complained to TFL about that a few times but it just falls on deaf ears
Elizabeth Line on 09:05 - May 27 with 582 viewsnoggin

Elizabeth Line on 08:53 - May 27 by BloomBlue

I've complained to TFL about that a few times but it just falls on deaf ears

Pardon

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Elizabeth Line on 09:49 - May 27 with 552 viewsunbelievablue

Elizabeth Line on 15:52 - May 26 by JakeITFC

Yes, up the stairs towards Mcdonalds, outside and right and you'll see the Elizabeth Line entrance.

Near Patty & Bun...barstewards.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Elizabeth Line on 10:27 - May 27 with 535 viewsbournemouthblue

It looks amazing.

The North feel particularly let down but they're not the only part of the country with poor infrastructure

The East is shocking for many things, I suspect the South West is in a similar boat too

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Elizabeth Line on 13:35 - May 27 with 486 viewsOldsmoker

Elizabeth Line on 22:23 - May 26 by Radlett_blue

Everything is forgiven apart from the ludicrous royal toadying decision to call it something other than the obvious "Crossrail".

It was named after the constant heartbeat of the nation (TM Titmarch).

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024