Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New York 12:49 - May 26 with 2007 viewsFixed_It

Never been before (Rotherham doesn't count!). Going for a few days next week - doing most of the usual tourist traps. Any hints, tips or other places of interest I should consider whilst there?

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

New York on 13:07 - May 26 with 1595 viewsitfcjoe

Don't know if this counts as an obvious tourist bit yet, but really liked getting an awesome New York sandwich (available in every sandwich shop) and then walking the High Line including sitting up there for lunch.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

New York on 13:08 - May 26 with 1575 viewschicoazul

Katz’s. For the authentically terrifying NY experience.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

New York on 13:13 - May 26 with 1546 viewsjeera

New York on 13:08 - May 26 by chicoazul

Katz’s. For the authentically terrifying NY experience.

I hate those back street copycat musicals.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

New York on 13:14 - May 26 with 1546 viewsblue62

Loved it, went there for my honeymoon and then on to Niagra Falls.

Ground Zero is a must, see a broadway show if that's your thing, central park is amazing
Id recommend grabbing the Red Buss hop on Hop off tickets for the days you are there, makes it easier to get around

Basically, cram in as much as you can.

It's loud, very loud and just like the movies

Cant wait to go back.
New York on 13:20 - May 26 with 1538 viewsclive_baker

I had the fortune of living in NYC for 6 months in my early 20's, it's a quality city that has something for everyone.

Most of the usual tourist bits that you've referred to are probably all worth doing. I would say you only need to do 1 of the Rockefeller or Empire State, if either, probably not both. Personally I would go up the Rockefeller as you get great views and of course from there can see the ES. High line is a good shout, it's well done and as a free thing it's neat, a nice walk with some cool views.

Ground zero is very sobering, but tastefully done. Almost un American in how it's been done, in a good way. Very low key and respectful.

You'll get great food in NYC, I'm a little out of touch with where's good now but you won't have to spend too long finding brilliant restaurants.

230 Fifth is a good spot for a beer. You'll pay a fair bit for it, but worth it for the views. A vibey rooftop bar on 5th ave.

If you have time it's worth walking over Brookly bridge too, Brooklyn is a cool area but you probably don't need too long there if time in Manhattan is limited.

Be prepared for plenty of walking, 20k steps per day minimum is the best way to see the city and all it has to offer.

EDIT: If it's not on the list already, do the Staten Island ferry. Its free (at least it was in my day) so DO NOT GET MUGGED BY SOMEONE TRYING TO SELL YOU TICKETS. Great views from the water. I once saw a bloke who looked so much like Lou Carpenter from Neighbours that I had to tell him. Turns out he was Australian, but alas not Lou. He did say he had been told it before though, so I wasn't going mad.

Enjoy.
[Post edited 26 May 2022 13:26]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

New York on 13:26 - May 26 with 1504 viewsFixed_It

New York on 13:07 - May 26 by itfcjoe

Don't know if this counts as an obvious tourist bit yet, but really liked getting an awesome New York sandwich (available in every sandwich shop) and then walking the High Line including sitting up there for lunch.

Will be walking the High Line. NY Sandwich sounds like a decent accompaniment. Cheers.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

New York on 13:28 - May 26 with 1497 viewswkj

New York on 13:07 - May 26 by itfcjoe

I have to say you sold yourself short in NYC if that was a highlight. Birria tacos in Manhattan is way cooler.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

New York on 13:29 - May 26 with 1481 viewsitfcjoe

New York on 13:28 - May 26 by wkj

I have to say you sold yourself short in NYC if that was a highlight. Birria tacos in Manhattan is way cooler.

I'm talking away from the main touristy bits, I really liked the high octane sandwiches available as was eating out every night they were just what I needed when pounding the pavements

Login to get fewer ads

New York on 13:31 - May 26 with 1471 viewswkj

New York on 13:29 - May 26 by itfcjoe

I'm talking away from the main touristy bits, I really liked the high octane sandwiches available as was eating out every night they were just what I needed when pounding the pavements

Always do NYC with someone who lives close to there, honestly. 2011 time I went there shortly after the massive power outages and the girl I was staying will took me to a shuffleboard bar in Linden NJ before walking up and down manhattan looking for the shadiest pizza joint we could find at 3am - that is truly as non tourist as it gets.

Crybaby

New York on 13:40 - May 26 with 1427 viewsclive_baker

New York on 13:31 - May 26 by wkj

Always do NYC with someone who lives close to there, honestly. 2011 time I went there shortly after the massive power outages and the girl I was staying will took me to a shuffleboard bar in Linden NJ before walking up and down manhattan looking for the shadiest pizza joint we could find at 3am - that is truly as non tourist as it gets.

Probably true of most cities to be fair. By the same token I can't help but feel a little sorry for tourists to London who spend a Saturday night bar crawling around Covent Garden and end up in Waxy O'Connors. You've probably had a much better night if you're scratching around Camden or Angel at 3am for a dirty kebab.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

New York on 13:40 - May 26 with 1428 viewsitfcjoe

New York on 13:31 - May 26 by wkj

If I was on my own doing it then would look more that way but when going with Mrs itfcjoe for a getaway it's not quite the vibe going for - I have missed travelling like that more but with kids I've gotten further away from it!

New York on 13:45 - May 26 with 1411 viewswkj

New York on 13:40 - May 26 by clive_baker

Probably true of most cities to be fair. By the same token I can't help but feel a little sorry for tourists to London who spend a Saturday night bar crawling around Covent Garden and end up in Waxy O'Connors. You've probably had a much better night if you're scratching around Camden or Angel at 3am for a dirty kebab.

London is so much better at night if you get off your head on the shandy and spend the night trying to finds a Kebab shop that accepts card payments - that's how you take London Long!

Crybaby

New York on 13:52 - May 26 with 1361 viewsbluefunk

Tourist stuff but who cares
Lunch at the Boathouse in Central Park,
Bike ride round Central Park
Coffee in Bryant Park - an oasis of calm
High line - as others have said
Walk the Brooklyn Bridge - if you get the subway across you can go on to Ground Zero, it’s not far
Staten island ferry then walk through to Wall Street ( also near Ground Zero)
Museums - the MOMA and Metropolitan museum of Art worth a visit

As others have said you’ll walk miles, do get a map and plan your day and look up while your walking
New York on 13:53 - May 26 with 1359 viewsIllinoisblue

New York on 13:20 - May 26 by clive_baker

I had the fortune of living in NYC for 6 months in my early 20's, it's a quality city that has something for everyone.

Most of the usual tourist bits that you've referred to are probably all worth doing. I would say you only need to do 1 of the Rockefeller or Empire State, if either, probably not both. Personally I would go up the Rockefeller as you get great views and of course from there can see the ES. High line is a good shout, it's well done and as a free thing it's neat, a nice walk with some cool views.

Ground zero is very sobering, but tastefully done. Almost un American in how it's been done, in a good way. Very low key and respectful.

You'll get great food in NYC, I'm a little out of touch with where's good now but you won't have to spend too long finding brilliant restaurants.

230 Fifth is a good spot for a beer. You'll pay a fair bit for it, but worth it for the views. A vibey rooftop bar on 5th ave.

If you have time it's worth walking over Brookly bridge too, Brooklyn is a cool area but you probably don't need too long there if time in Manhattan is limited.

Be prepared for plenty of walking, 20k steps per day minimum is the best way to see the city and all it has to offer.

EDIT: If it's not on the list already, do the Staten Island ferry. Its free (at least it was in my day) so DO NOT GET MUGGED BY SOMEONE TRYING TO SELL YOU TICKETS. Great views from the water. I once saw a bloke who looked so much like Lou Carpenter from Neighbours that I had to tell him. Turns out he was Australian, but alas not Lou. He did say he had been told it before though, so I wasn't going mad.

Enjoy.

Good call on the Staten Island ferry. Great photo ops.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

New York on 14:37 - May 26 with 1289 viewshatch

I got the sh!ts on the Statten Island ferry 2 years ago - toilets on a free ferry are not the ones to be caught out on.

Everything that has been mentioned plus:

Ellen's Stardust Diner - a little touristy and tacky but half decent grub and the waiters and waitresses are all aspiring Broadway stars that break out into song every few minutes and stand between the tables on ledges etc.

Joe's Pizza - I didn't get the hype at first but there's a few of these and it's a bit of an institution in NYC - crispy base but oh so good and cheap

Katz has been mentioned - worth going out your way for, portion sizes are good anyway but tip them when you order for a generous serving and you can sit where Harry met Sally (still never seen that film).

I went to the Stonewall Inn with my girlfriend and quite enjoyed that area of town. Was good to see the home of the LGBT movement.

Agreed on Rockerfeller over Empire State - better choice.

Boathouse in Central Park was nice, happened to go there but didn't realise it was a recommendation

The coolest little burger shack was called Burger Joint and it's hidden behind a curtain in a fancy hotel called Le Parker Meridien - try and grab a quick burger for lunch there if you can.
New York on 14:51 - May 26 with 1268 viewsLord_Lucan

I've only been once and it was just after 9/11 and our hotel overlooked what was the Twin Towers.

I wasn't that blown away by New York but then again I'm not really a USA lover.

I think my favourite bits were sitting at the upstairs bar in Grand Central Station and people watching plus a night on Bleeker Street

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

New York on 15:00 - May 26 with 1243 viewshype313

I went in 99 around Xmas time and it was fun, climbed Statue of Liberty which was painful, 3 hours up, 20 seconds at the top and then a nasty walk down and when you got to the bottom your legs were like a s*****g dog.

Did Little Italy, Chinatown, Broadway, all the touristy things, all good.

All in all a fun time to be had, although I prefer Chicago!

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

New York on 15:16 - May 26 with 1198 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Enjoy.

I agree, walking over one of the Bridges to Brooklyn is a must (as are Highline and Staten Island Ferry, so three of the best things are free). There are several long standing Italian family-owned Pizza restaurants which are institutions. Read reviews and pick one. Then either walk back over the other bridge or get a cab, to tick off another NYC must-do.

My hot tip is to save the money you would spend going up the Rockefeller to see the Empire State Building (or on going up the ESB to see the Rockefeller, and instead go to the highly rated Korean Restaurant Gaonnuri:

https://www.gaonnurinyc.com/

Amazing close up views of the Empire Stste Building and great food. You can eat a starter and main and have a beer for about $50. Top of the Rock costs $40 each for access. It's a no brainer! If you are discreet and don't annoy or get into the space of other diners then it is fine to walk over to the windows after your meal and admire the view and take photos. Maybe go twice, once at lunch and once at night, to get the contrast?
New York on 15:41 - May 26 with 1158 viewssquiz

Go to a baseball game. Great experience!
New York on 20:00 - May 26 with 1007 viewsJimmyJazz

New York on 14:51 - May 26 by Lord_Lucan

I've only been once and it was just after 9/11 and our hotel overlooked what was the Twin Towers.

I wasn't that blown away by New York but then again I'm not really a USA lover.

I think my favourite bits were sitting at the upstairs bar in Grand Central Station and people watching plus a night on Bleeker Street

Good shout on a night out around Bleeker Street

If you have some spare time!! hire a car and drive down to Atlantic City

Alternatively take a trip to Coney Island

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

New York on 20:07 - May 26 with 998 viewsMullet

Enjoy.

I loved walking NYC - did the Brooklyn bridge nice and early too as well as ground zero on the anniversary as the sun came up.

I'd also suggest eating and drinking wherever looks good. The standard of independent places was always decent from memory but maybe I just got lucky.

Radio City is worth the tour too, the gents loos were astounding and worth the fee alone just to pee in such opulence.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

New York on 20:14 - May 26 with 980 viewsLord_Lucan

New York on 20:00 - May 26 by JimmyJazz

Good shout on a night out around Bleeker Street

If you have some spare time!! hire a car and drive down to Atlantic City

Alternatively take a trip to Coney Island

Bleeker Street was great but I only found it on the last night!

A few of the bars had bands playing and for a dollar they would play what you want so I kept piling them with dollars, If I remember correctly I was in Neil Young mode at the time.

Problem is I just love to dance and I got chucked out of two bars for dancing after a couple of warnings per bar. My feet just couldn't keep still!

Turns out the bars need a dancing licence.

When I got to the third bar we met some English girls who had gone through the exact same experience.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

New York on 20:27 - May 26 with 950 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Other Half brewery taproom is almost the pinnacle of the industry if you're in any way craft beer inclined.

Evil Twin brewery also very good, but a bit more hit and miss.
New York on 20:28 - May 26 with 947 viewsPhantasm

New York on 20:14 - May 26 by Lord_Lucan

Bleeker Street was great but I only found it on the last night!

A few of the bars had bands playing and for a dollar they would play what you want so I kept piling them with dollars, If I remember correctly I was in Neil Young mode at the time.

Problem is I just love to dance and I got chucked out of two bars for dancing after a couple of warnings per bar. My feet just couldn't keep still!

Turns out the bars need a dancing licence.

When I got to the third bar we met some English girls who had gone through the exact same experience.

There's a bar called Rudy's which is about 34th high, and 7th or 8th along? Not a million miles from Times Square, perhaps three blocks if memory serves.

Anyway you can get a pitcher of lager for about $15 plus tip, and with that they do free hotdogs with each beer. So you could feasibly park there at 5pm and not move all night, and you get your dinner at the same time.

Would echo walking one of the bridges, but add that we walked Brooklyn > Manhattan after sunset so you get a lovely view of the skyscape as you go.
New York on 20:38 - May 26 with 926 viewsLord_Lucan

New York on 20:28 - May 26 by Phantasm

There's a bar called Rudy's which is about 34th high, and 7th or 8th along? Not a million miles from Times Square, perhaps three blocks if memory serves.

Anyway you can get a pitcher of lager for about $15 plus tip, and with that they do free hotdogs with each beer. So you could feasibly park there at 5pm and not move all night, and you get your dinner at the same time.

Would echo walking one of the bridges, but add that we walked Brooklyn > Manhattan after sunset so you get a lovely view of the skyscape as you go.

I'd have to play this

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024