Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline 14:50 - May 26 with 1240 viewsArnoldMoorhen

I have a lot of love for Jack Monroe. Jack has consistently spoken out on behalf of Food Bank users, and others in poverty in the UK, as somebody who relied on them to put food on the table in the recent past.

I have a lot of love, but many people have a lot of hate. It may be that you have a negative opinion of Jack already.

If so, please watch this video and tell me that this isn't just a pretty decent, but also a bit broken and vulnerable, person who is just trying to do their best to help others.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-61582353
Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 15:48 - May 26 with 1145 viewsJ2BLUE

Not sure any 'average' person has a problem with them. Just people pushing an agenda, mostly the more extreme Tories and their fans.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 16:25 - May 26 with 1095 viewsSTYG

Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 15:48 - May 26 by J2BLUE

Not sure any 'average' person has a problem with them. Just people pushing an agenda, mostly the more extreme Tories and their fans.

Exactly. She's a sitting duck for Tories.

A woman comes along who wants to genuinely help, she does so, becomes well known, opportunities open up and she probably also has the chance to make herself financially secure from such opportunities (let's say a TV show or newspaper column) where she can continue to help more people through a bigger platform.

The Tories can't comprehend people just wanting to help without it being financially rewarding so suggest that's her only motivation. Ironic, when they have the same financial opportunities for doing precisely nothing and helping nobody.

I suppose she's supposed to just donate any money she earns, whilst they continue to have everything paid for by us.

Absolute state of them.
Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 16:40 - May 26 with 1061 viewsBlueBadger

Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 16:25 - May 26 by STYG

Exactly. She's a sitting duck for Tories.

A woman comes along who wants to genuinely help, she does so, becomes well known, opportunities open up and she probably also has the chance to make herself financially secure from such opportunities (let's say a TV show or newspaper column) where she can continue to help more people through a bigger platform.

The Tories can't comprehend people just wanting to help without it being financially rewarding so suggest that's her only motivation. Ironic, when they have the same financial opportunities for doing precisely nothing and helping nobody.

I suppose she's supposed to just donate any money she earns, whilst they continue to have everything paid for by us.

Absolute state of them.

Doubly weird when you consider that Tories LOVE the myth of the 'self made' rich person.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 16:46 - May 26 with 1049 viewsGlasgowBlue

I follow Jack on Twitter. I've had a lot of time for them ever since they Took everything off Katie Hopkins.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 16:47 - May 26 with 1044 viewsSTYG

Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 16:46 - May 26 by GlasgowBlue

I follow Jack on Twitter. I've had a lot of time for them ever since they Took everything off Katie Hopkins.

My apologies if there is a pronoun here I wasn't aware of. Assuming as you follow them and used they that you probably know a lot better than I do.
Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 17:29 - May 26 with 989 viewsGlasgowBlue

Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 16:47 - May 26 by STYG

My apologies if there is a pronoun here I wasn't aware of. Assuming as you follow them and used they that you probably know a lot better than I do.

Jack has came out some time ago as non binary.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 17:31 - May 26 with 993 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I find it very telling that food bank contributions have dried up so much as it suggests it is often those with the least that understand and contribute the most.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 20:14 - May 26 with 909 viewsfactual_blue

Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 16:40 - May 26 by BlueBadger

Doubly weird when you consider that Tories LOVE the myth of the 'self made' rich person.

Presumably they particularly admire how (for example) Richard Branson clawed his way to the top, despite being the public school-educated son a barrister, and grandson of a High Court Judge and Privy Councillor.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 20:15 - May 26 with 900 viewsJ2BLUE

Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 16:47 - May 26 by STYG

Don't think you need to apologise mate.

Truly impaired.

Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 20:19 - May 26 with 882 viewsJ2BLUE

Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 17:31 - May 26 by BanksterDebtSlave

I find it very telling that food bank contributions have dried up so much as it suggests it is often those with the least that understand and contribute the most.

Does it?

I've read stats in the last few days that 4 in 5 Brits are worried about cost of living. 22% already struggling. Not sure it's as simple as you are saying.

On a related note, I was in Lidl earlier. Nothing in the food collection bin. Maybe because it's a one way system and you don't see it until you are out of the store and there's nothing to say they have one until it's too late

Truly impaired.

Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 21:16 - May 26 with 818 viewsjeera

Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 20:19 - May 26 by J2BLUE

Does it?

I've read stats in the last few days that 4 in 5 Brits are worried about cost of living. 22% already struggling. Not sure it's as simple as you are saying.

On a related note, I was in Lidl earlier. Nothing in the food collection bin. Maybe because it's a one way system and you don't see it until you are out of the store and there's nothing to say they have one until it's too late

Surely that reinforces what he says though?

As in it's possibly not the wealthiest who put in the most.

Generalisations of course but I know what he means.

I only speak from my own experience and from watching who tends to donate what in the places I happen to be at the time.

There are some lovely people who help out the other end with collections and distributions like our own Bankster there, Lagos and Newcy and several others.

But yes, I can see how it's often the people who know what it's like to be broke who make up the majority of day to day donations in shops.

I could be wrong I realise.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 21:23 - May 26 with 805 viewsFreddies_Ears

Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 21:16 - May 26 by jeera

I only speak from my own experience and from watching who tends to donate what in the places I happen to be at the time.

There are some lovely people who help out the other end with collections and distributions like our own Bankster there, Lagos and Newcy and several others.

But yes, I can see how it's often the people who know what it's like to be broke who make up the majority of day to day donations in shops.

I organise occasional food bank collections for FIND for my church. Many are generous donors. Many who I know not be be wealthy dig very deep - they know what it like to struggle.
Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 21:32 - May 26 with 789 viewsHARRY10

Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 20:14 - May 26 by factual_blue

Presumably they particularly admire how (for example) Richard Branson clawed his way to the top, despite being the public school-educated son a barrister, and grandson of a High Court Judge and Privy Councillor.

An absolute scumbag who started in business by ripping off the taxman - and it has been downgill all the way, lying and cheating his friends, conning others - all with the knowledge that in the early days no one could afford to take him to court, and those protecting him (relatives) made sure he could win any case

numerous comments in the book review - but all those I have lent my copy to have returned it with the comment ... Branson, what cnt (or similar)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Branson-Tom-Bower/dp/1841154008
Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 21:35 - May 26 with 778 viewsJ2BLUE

Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 21:16 - May 26 by jeera

I'm sure the poorer people do put in more collectively than the wealthy but with 80% of people worried about the cost of living crisis that would cover a lot of the 'middle class' as well.

According to the commons library there are 2300+ food banks in the UK. If the Tories are not going to tackle the root cause of the problems they could easily have given all of those £100,000 each to help see them through.

Truly impaired.

Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 21:52 - May 26 with 754 viewsmylittletown

Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 21:32 - May 26 by HARRY10

An absolute scumbag who started in business by ripping off the taxman - and it has been downgill all the way, lying and cheating his friends, conning others - all with the knowledge that in the early days no one could afford to take him to court, and those protecting him (relatives) made sure he could win any case

numerous comments in the book review - but all those I have lent my copy to have returned it with the comment ... Branson, what cnt (or similar)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Branson-Tom-Bower/dp/1841154008

yes, an unbelievably callous and sh1tty person.
Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 06:58 - May 27 with 635 viewsSTYG

Jack Monroe speaking about the reality of budgeting on the breadline on 20:15 - May 26 by J2BLUE

Don't think you need to apologise mate.

Probably not. But I’d rather do so if I’m made aware than anyone thinking I knew and decided to just ignore it. Seen plenty of people on Twitter deliberately do so and whilst I’m sure the original post should show that I admire them and wouldn’t deliberately do so, there’s always one that can make an issue out of nothing - everywhere!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024