Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject 21:15 - May 26 with 2067 viewsMattinLondon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61565233
[Post edited 26 May 2022 21:15]
Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 21:22 - May 26 with 1508 viewsmonytowbray

The change is coming.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 21:43 - May 26 with 1494 viewsMattinLondon

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 21:22 - May 26 by monytowbray

The change is coming.

I do eat meat but have greatly reduced my consumption of it. One day, vegans will be in the majority - no idea when, ten, twenty or thirty years. It will happen.
Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 21:48 - May 26 with 1480 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 21:22 - May 26 by monytowbray

The change is coming.

Do vegans have a view on ground soldier fly protein?
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/10/201029104951.htm

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 22:24 - May 26 with 1451 viewsjeera

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 21:48 - May 26 by BanksterDebtSlave

Do vegans have a view on ground soldier fly protein?
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/10/201029104951.htm

As usual it's knowing what condiment to have with it.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 23:13 - May 26 with 1417 viewsMattinLondon

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 22:24 - May 26 by jeera

As usual it's knowing what condiment to have with it.

Never salad cream. It’s awful stuff.
Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 23:19 - May 26 with 1410 viewsjeera

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 23:13 - May 26 by MattinLondon

Never salad cream. It’s awful stuff.

I would certainly concur it probably wouldn't be the ideal complement for this particular foodstuff.

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 23:54 - May 26 with 1392 viewsSwansea_Blue

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 21:43 - May 26 by MattinLondon

I do eat meat but have greatly reduced my consumption of it. One day, vegans will be in the majority - no idea when, ten, twenty or thirty years. It will happen.

It’s weird and just a mindset. Her indoors went vegan for a TV series she was filming and we all did it for a year and it was absolutely fine as we had a focus and purpose. I’m a complete convert in theory. But when we lost that immediate purpose it suddenly became a lot harder and now we’re not even close, even though plants feature still a major part of our diet. But it’s always, chuck some steak into the stir fry. Throw a couple of chicken breasts into the curry, etc. it’s easily doable, but I’m not sure how you get people to voluntarily commit.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 00:29 - May 27 with 1382 viewsJ2BLUE

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 23:54 - May 26 by Swansea_Blue

It’s weird and just a mindset. Her indoors went vegan for a TV series she was filming and we all did it for a year and it was absolutely fine as we had a focus and purpose. I’m a complete convert in theory. But when we lost that immediate purpose it suddenly became a lot harder and now we’re not even close, even though plants feature still a major part of our diet. But it’s always, chuck some steak into the stir fry. Throw a couple of chicken breasts into the curry, etc. it’s easily doable, but I’m not sure how you get people to voluntarily commit.

If you don't want to do it then fair enough.

If you do, then lentils, chickpeas and beans are ideal for replacing animal proteins. If you want to continue having similar stuff instead of the above then there are so many different vegan products on the market that you can pretty much find one good replacement for most things you want to replace. For me:

Sausages - Richmond vegan, Beyond Meat or Quorn vegetarian
Burgers - Richmond vegan or Beyond Meat
Meatballs - Beyond Meat
Pastrami - Squeaky Bean
Milk - unsweetened oat

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 00:48 - May 27 with 1362 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 21:43 - May 26 by MattinLondon

I genuinely can’t see it.

For millions of years humans have been meat eaters. A load of people start protesting in the last 5 years (for example) and within 30 a majority become vegans.

We will never know obviously but if I could bet on what percentage in 250 years were vegans, I’d be betting under 30% for sure.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 00:53 - May 27 with 1359 viewsJ2BLUE

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 00:48 - May 27 by The_Romford_Blue

For millions of years humans have been meat eaters. A load of people start protesting in the last 5 years (for example) and within 30 a majority become vegans.

We will never know obviously but if I could bet on what percentage in 250 years were vegans, I’d be betting under 30% for sure.

100% hardcore vegans, you're probably right.

90-95% plant based is much more likely and mainly due to environmental factors like greenhouse gases and the amount of water it takes. Also depleted soil will play a part as rotating certain vegetable crops like lentils actually replenishes the soil.

If the future of eating animals is mainly insects then pass me the chickpeas!

Truly impaired.

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 01:01 - May 27 with 1353 viewsjeera

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 00:53 - May 27 by J2BLUE

90-95% plant based is much more likely and mainly due to environmental factors like greenhouse gases and the amount of water it takes. Also depleted soil will play a part as rotating certain vegetable crops like lentils actually replenishes the soil.

I should think delving back into history humans ate more plants/nuts etc than animals because they were easier to catch more than anything else.

There was a piece on QI where Fry was talking about some hunter types who died out because they only ate meat.

They were in some place, (North Americas?), where there was rabbit meat available in abundance but although they ate well they died of malnutrition because of the lack of greens intake.

The greens being necessary for the body to process other nutrients in tandem.

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 10:41 - May 27 with 1199 viewsmonytowbray

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 00:48 - May 27 by The_Romford_Blue

If we carry on eating meat as we are we won’t be here in 250 years.

You eventually won’t have a choice.

Also what Jeera said. Fruit and nuts was much easier to catch/prepare/eat.
[Post edited 27 May 2022 10:43]

TWTD never forgets…

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 10:48 - May 27 with 1171 viewslowhouseblue

we all collectively need to eat 90% less meat / dairy and for meat / dairy to become an occasional ingredient. but the absolutism of veganism is a dead end. but of course, in most things absolutism is a dead end.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 11:08 - May 27 with 1161 viewsmonytowbray

Someone ask Lowhouse why absolute veganism is a dead end. I’m not able to engage with him anymore.

This post has been edited by an administrator

TWTD never forgets…

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 11:12 - May 27 with 1146 viewsParsley

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 10:48 - May 27 by lowhouseblue

we all collectively need to eat 90% less meat / dairy and for meat / dairy to become an occasional ingredient. but the absolutism of veganism is a dead end. but of course, in most things absolutism is a dead end.

The absolutism confuses me. My first thought was vegan farming, isn't that just growing plants? But looks like they aren't allowed to use manure for fertiliser which seems a bit extreme. Surely that's not harming animals in any way and while animal farming exists then makes sense to use all of the products including the waste. Similarly with honey, don't see how that harms bees and feel like it should have a positive impact on local wildlife with the pollination that they do.
Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 11:28 - May 27 with 1112 viewsDanTheMan

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 11:12 - May 27 by Parsley

The absolutism confuses me. My first thought was vegan farming, isn't that just growing plants? But looks like they aren't allowed to use manure for fertiliser which seems a bit extreme. Surely that's not harming animals in any way and while animal farming exists then makes sense to use all of the products including the waste. Similarly with honey, don't see how that harms bees and feel like it should have a positive impact on local wildlife with the pollination that they do.

I imagine on both points it's probably down to "it depends".

For the manure, I imagine most of the issue would come from where the manure is actually coming from, which might be animals kept in bad conditions. OK, you didn't kill the animal to get it but I imagine a lot of it doesn't come from just picking up poo left by completely free horses etc.

Same on honey, I'm sure there are ways of ethically harvesting it but I also imagine you can do harm just taking all of their honey. Also worth noting that honey bees are one particular type of bee and introducing them in an environment can actually have negative effects on the ecosystem.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/news/2020/september/beekeeping-in-cities-harming-

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 11:30 - May 27 with 1109 viewsDanTheMan

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 00:53 - May 27 by J2BLUE

I don't understand what the issue is with eating insects, other than we don't do it right now.

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 11:49 - May 27 with 1078 viewsmonytowbray

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 11:30 - May 27 by DanTheMan

I don't understand what the issue is with eating insects, other than we don't do it right now.

As someone who doesn't even like accidentally treading on a snail I simply cannot understand the appeal.

Much like meat, there must be some cognitive dissonance going on with one's conscience? Just because we place less value on a bug than a cow, does it really mean we should now start mass producing them for food, likely in a cruel way (mass produced honey already provides the real life case study).

Not to mention, we'll then end up full circle with the soy production issues we have now - lots of food being produced and being fed to our food to reduce a lower yield.

I just don't understand the endless need for western society to not just accept you can eat plants fine and instead get so desperate to weigh up adding bugs to our diet. FFS.

TWTD never forgets…

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 11:56 - May 27 with 1050 viewsDanTheMan

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 11:49 - May 27 by monytowbray

As someone who doesn't even like accidentally treading on a snail I simply cannot understand the appeal.

Much like meat, there must be some cognitive dissonance going on with one's conscience? Just because we place less value on a bug than a cow, does it really mean we should now start mass producing them for food, likely in a cruel way (mass produced honey already provides the real life case study).

Not to mention, we'll then end up full circle with the soy production issues we have now - lots of food being produced and being fed to our food to reduce a lower yield.

I just don't understand the endless need for western society to not just accept you can eat plants fine and instead get so desperate to weigh up adding bugs to our diet. FFS.

Probably should have been more clear, I meant that if you already ate meat I don't understand the aversion to eating insect meat.

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 12:12 - May 27 with 1025 viewsmonytowbray

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 11:56 - May 27 by DanTheMan

Probably should have been more clear, I meant that if you already ate meat I don't understand the aversion to eating insect meat.

Ahh makes sense. Then again I made this argument years back on here in regards to eating cows and eating dogs, was met with confused meltdowns and disingenuous accusations of threatening to kill poster's pets. Those posts were fine by board mods too, but if you post evidence of posters making literal transphobic arguments on here you'll get your posts deleted and told off in a DM, right Phil?!

On an unrelated note, I saw this week the whole thing about SFTs and blockchain tracking one's personal data into a social currency and was meaning to ask you - is that really as much a dystopian nightmare idea as it sounds on paper? You seem more on the pulse with the deeper understanding than me on this stuff!

TWTD never forgets…

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 12:21 - May 27 with 1016 viewsDanTheMan

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 12:12 - May 27 by monytowbray

Ahh makes sense. Then again I made this argument years back on here in regards to eating cows and eating dogs, was met with confused meltdowns and disingenuous accusations of threatening to kill poster's pets. Those posts were fine by board mods too, but if you post evidence of posters making literal transphobic arguments on here you'll get your posts deleted and told off in a DM, right Phil?!

On an unrelated note, I saw this week the whole thing about SFTs and blockchain tracking one's personal data into a social currency and was meaning to ask you - is that really as much a dystopian nightmare idea as it sounds on paper? You seem more on the pulse with the deeper understanding than me on this stuff!

As a personal opinion (I've not read loads about it), putting your personal data on the blockchain sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 12:28 - May 27 with 1008 viewsmonytowbray

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 12:21 - May 27 by DanTheMan

As a personal opinion (I've not read loads about it), putting your personal data on the blockchain sounds like a recipe for disaster.

It was this I saw.

https://fortune.com/2022/05/26/what-are-soulbound-tokens-web3-buterin/

On LinkedIn a recruiter was saying "OH COOL YOU CAN CARRY ALL YOUR SALES RECORDS JOB TO JOB" and I was like "You can do that already without microchipping it into your brain for corporations/hackers to exploit.

As someone who works in data-based marketing, I really do think things are already well beyond comfortable for personal data tracking and how it's then used.

TWTD never forgets…

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 12:32 - May 27 with 1001 viewsDanTheMan

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 12:28 - May 27 by monytowbray

It was this I saw.

https://fortune.com/2022/05/26/what-are-soulbound-tokens-web3-buterin/

On LinkedIn a recruiter was saying "OH COOL YOU CAN CARRY ALL YOUR SALES RECORDS JOB TO JOB" and I was like "You can do that already without microchipping it into your brain for corporations/hackers to exploit.

As someone who works in data-based marketing, I really do think things are already well beyond comfortable for personal data tracking and how it's then used.

I wouldn't listen to anything Buterin says quite frankly. Him talking about a decentralized society whilst the coin he created puts all the power in the hands of a few millionaires / billionaires is hilarious. And of course he's funded by Peter Thiel.

A cursory read just reminds me of something I was talking about in another thread, this is another solution in search of a problem. Why do I need to have my birth certificate decentralized?

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 12:36 - May 27 with 987 viewsJ2BLUE

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 11:30 - May 27 by DanTheMan

I have never been a big meat eater. Even eating an animal’s organs is something that just doesn’t appeal at all. Insects are just a step too far for me.

I think I will happily settle somewhere around 90% plant based, mostly meat free. I was just in Sainsbury’s and picked up some bacon when realised it was just on autopilot and I wouldn’t miss it if I put it back so that’s what I did.

Truly impaired.

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 12:37 - May 27 with 979 viewsDanTheMan

Never knew that Vegan farming was a thing - interesting article on that subject on 12:36 - May 27 by J2BLUE

I have never been a big meat eater. Even eating an animal’s organs is something that just doesn’t appeal at all. Insects are just a step too far for me.

I think I will happily settle somewhere around 90% plant based, mostly meat free. I was just in Sainsbury’s and picked up some bacon when realised it was just on autopilot and I wouldn’t miss it if I put it back so that’s what I did.

Fair enough, was genuinely interested. I wouldn't be opposed to it being part of my diet but like you I'm trying to cut down in general.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024