Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
For those interested in politics north of the border 08:21 - May 27 with 1119 viewsGlasgowBlue

A very good thread by Labour’s Jim Murphy on the SNP’s culture of corruption, secrecy and cover ups. Well worth a read.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

For those interested in politics north of the border on 10:59 - May 27 with 1021 viewsDarth_Koont

There’s been over a decade of politicised attacks from the largely pro-establishment media and stooges like Jim Murphy.

Labour north of the border, but certainly south of the border, should concentrate on having a point rather than going after the smeary stuff. Not least because the current Labour Party are as bad as any organisation in terms of corruption, secrecy and coverups ... the Forde Report anyone? Now getting on for TWO years overdue.

Pronouns: He/Him

For those interested in politics north of the border on 18:28 - May 27 with 917 viewsBlueBadger

My favourite thing about the SNP is how they vehemently opposed Brexit, but also pretty much utilise exactly the same arguments as Team Blue Passports and No Foreigners to make their case.
[Post edited 30 May 2022 6:52]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

For those interested in politics north of the border on 18:30 - May 27 with 895 viewsArnoldMoorhen

For those interested in politics north of the border on 10:59 - May 27 by Darth_Koont

There’s been over a decade of politicised attacks from the largely pro-establishment media and stooges like Jim Murphy.

Labour north of the border, but certainly south of the border, should concentrate on having a point rather than going after the smeary stuff. Not least because the current Labour Party are as bad as any organisation in terms of corruption, secrecy and coverups ... the Forde Report anyone? Now getting on for TWO years overdue.

One of the things that has surprised me since moving to Scotland is that the SNP and Labour seem to hate each other more than they hate the Tories.
For those interested in politics north of the border on 18:35 - May 27 with 884 viewsArnoldMoorhen

For those interested in politics north of the border on 18:28 - May 27 by BlueBadger

My favourite thing about the SNP is how they vehemently opposed Brexit, but also pretty much utilise exactly the same arguments as Team Blue Passports and No Foreigners to make their case.

The main ScotNat argument for Independence is Self-determination.

The SNP has a vision of civic nationalism, rather than racial identity nationalism. This is more akin to Canada or New Zealand, for example, and says that if you are in the country legally and want to be considered Scottish, then you are Scottish, regardless of race or country of birth.

The main argument against Independence for Scotland is economic. Brexit has undermined that argument considerably, especially if the SNP are able to extract guarantees about EU accession in the run up to IndyRef2, should it happen.
For those interested in politics north of the border on 18:46 - May 27 with 867 viewsSwansea_Blue

For those interested in politics north of the border on 18:28 - May 27 by BlueBadger

The difference being they aren’t actually sovereign, whereas the UK always was. There’s some validity to their argument.

I’d like to see it happen so we get to see what happens, if you see what I mean. There’s no overarching (very simplistic) reason they couldn’t be successful as an independent state. Plenty of smaller nations manage it. Reimagining their relationship with the UK and unpicking the ties would make Brexit look like child’s play I imagine. And then what happens if they join the EU and we have a second physical customs border with the EU? An utter minefield .

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

For those interested in politics north of the border on 18:55 - May 27 with 846 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

For those interested in politics north of the border on 18:46 - May 27 by Swansea_Blue

The difference being they aren’t actually sovereign, whereas the UK always was. There’s some validity to their argument.

I’d like to see it happen so we get to see what happens, if you see what I mean. There’s no overarching (very simplistic) reason they couldn’t be successful as an independent state. Plenty of smaller nations manage it. Reimagining their relationship with the UK and unpicking the ties would make Brexit look like child’s play I imagine. And then what happens if they join the EU and we have a second physical customs border with the EU? An utter minefield .

“Reimagining their relationship with the UK and unpicking the ties would make Brexit look like child’s play I imagine”

Bit of a simplistic take given 300 years of intertwined institutions, monetary union, shared national debt, shared armed forces etc.

Ultimately I don’t really care either way regarding Scottish independence- I’ve got no skin in the game. But that’s just really parroting SNP propaganda in the same way we had with Farage et al on Brexit.
For those interested in politics north of the border on 19:01 - May 27 with 841 viewsSwansea_Blue

For those interested in politics north of the border on 18:55 - May 27 by SuperKieranMcKenna

“Reimagining their relationship with the UK and unpicking the ties would make Brexit look like child’s play I imagine”

Bit of a simplistic take given 300 years of intertwined institutions, monetary union, shared national debt, shared armed forces etc.

Ultimately I don’t really care either way regarding Scottish independence- I’ve got no skin in the game. But that’s just really parroting SNP propaganda in the same way we had with Farage et al on Brexit.

Sorry if not clear, but that’s what I meant - unpicking 300 years of union would be a nightmare and make Brexit look simple.

For those interested in politics north of the border on 19:02 - May 27 with 836 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

For those interested in politics north of the border on 19:01 - May 27 by Swansea_Blue

Sorry if not clear, but that’s what I meant - unpicking 300 years of union would be a nightmare and make Brexit look simple.

Ah okay apologies - read that the wrong way around then!
Login to get fewer ads

For those interested in politics north of the border on 19:12 - May 27 with 811 viewsSwansea_Blue

For those interested in politics north of the border on 19:02 - May 27 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Ah okay apologies - read that the wrong way around then!

No worries. I’ve got no skin in it either, but I reckon it would make for an interesting experiment and compelling viewing!

For those interested in politics north of the border on 19:35 - May 27 with 787 viewsGlasgowBlue

For those interested in politics north of the border on 18:30 - May 27 by ArnoldMoorhen

One of the things that has surprised me since moving to Scotland is that the SNP and Labour seem to hate each other more than they hate the Tories.

Where about scare you based Arnie?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

For those interested in politics north of the border on 20:57 - May 27 with 738 viewsArnoldMoorhen

For those interested in politics north of the border on 19:35 - May 27 by GlasgowBlue

Where about scare you based Arnie?

Edinburgh.

I moved in 2 days before the first lockdown. Pulled in at Scotch Corner to hear BJ introduce Chris Whitty to the nation.

My timing was either absolutely perfect, given that our entire earthly goods didn't end up in a compound in Hartlepool for 3 months, or fking atrocious, given that a week later and I'd have stayed closer to friends and family.

It has been a very weird two years.
For those interested in politics north of the border on 11:34 - May 28 with 605 viewsDarth_Koont

For those interested in politics north of the border on 18:35 - May 27 by ArnoldMoorhen

The main ScotNat argument for Independence is Self-determination.

The SNP has a vision of civic nationalism, rather than racial identity nationalism. This is more akin to Canada or New Zealand, for example, and says that if you are in the country legally and want to be considered Scottish, then you are Scottish, regardless of race or country of birth.

The main argument against Independence for Scotland is economic. Brexit has undermined that argument considerably, especially if the SNP are able to extract guarantees about EU accession in the run up to IndyRef2, should it happen.

Good post.

Plus the main arguments FOR independence are also economic. Tied to a flawed and failing centralised UK, the regions and other nations of the UK are the poorest in North Western Europe. Some even to Eastern and Southern European levels.

That reality and clear economic deficit shows that independence would be the better path for Scotland than ploughing on despite the evidence, hoping for a struggling Westminster to start getting things right for a change.

Only simplistic fools see Scottish independence and Brexit the same way. But the context, evidence and benefits are totally different. Re: Scottish independence, they're all overwhelmingly real for starters.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024