Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cost of living didn't apply to the beach 17:33 - May 27 with 1281 viewswkj

Lovely afternoon on the Suffolk Coast. Might be worth making a bit of time for yourselves and get your toes wet - didn't cost me a penny - except for £7 in petrol and £6 for a parking ticket.

Best things in life are free and all that.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Cost of living didn't apply to the beach on 21:26 - May 27 with 1143 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yep, lots you can do without spending money. Although the scary thought is your £13 cheap day out would be a good chunk of some families’ food bills for the week. Another thing that popped up in Jack Monroe’s recent interviews is that she does a weekly £20 shopping list as that’s all lots of families can spare.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Cost of living didn't apply to the beach on 21:35 - May 27 with 1117 viewsjeera

Cost of living didn't apply to the beach on 21:26 - May 27 by Swansea_Blue

Yep, lots you can do without spending money. Although the scary thought is your £13 cheap day out would be a good chunk of some families’ food bills for the week. Another thing that popped up in Jack Monroe’s recent interviews is that she does a weekly £20 shopping list as that’s all lots of families can spare.

That's the problem isn't it.

If you have no money then £13 might as well be a million.

That said, it's also nice to be reminded of the simple pleasures in life which are often the best.

Only trouble with going on a nice day is other people show up too and no one wants that.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Cost of living didn't apply to the beach on 21:44 - May 27 with 1100 viewsSwansea_Blue

Cost of living didn't apply to the beach on 21:35 - May 27 by jeera

That's the problem isn't it.

If you have no money then £13 might as well be a million.

That said, it's also nice to be reminded of the simple pleasures in life which are often the best.

Only trouble with going on a nice day is other people show up too and no one wants that.

I’m a big fan of free entertainment. Not (only) because I’m a cheapskate, I just don’t like commercial, organised ‘attractions’. They’re normally a massive disappointment and too busy. Much rather have a walk on a quiet beach or in the woods.

Something struck me in the recent conversations about this cost of living crisis. I can’t remember who, but I heard someone saying that it was so bad that more people were having to take a ‘free day’ once a week. Meaning they didn’t spend anything on themselves as a treat (only on food, normal bills, etc). I can’t get my head around that mindset. To me that’s pretty much the norm, not an exception. Maybe something was lost in the explanation, but I can go days without spending on anything other than food & bills. I’m not really interested in buying stuff (pizza ovens excepted!).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Cost of living didn't apply to the beach on 21:59 - May 27 with 1067 viewsjeera

Cost of living didn't apply to the beach on 21:44 - May 27 by Swansea_Blue

I’m a big fan of free entertainment. Not (only) because I’m a cheapskate, I just don’t like commercial, organised ‘attractions’. They’re normally a massive disappointment and too busy. Much rather have a walk on a quiet beach or in the woods.

Something struck me in the recent conversations about this cost of living crisis. I can’t remember who, but I heard someone saying that it was so bad that more people were having to take a ‘free day’ once a week. Meaning they didn’t spend anything on themselves as a treat (only on food, normal bills, etc). I can’t get my head around that mindset. To me that’s pretty much the norm, not an exception. Maybe something was lost in the explanation, but I can go days without spending on anything other than food & bills. I’m not really interested in buying stuff (pizza ovens excepted!).

That's a weird one on me too.

The 'treat' word is a funny one and gets used in some very different contexts!

But yes, to me money has generally meant tokens to pay for things that need to be done, and beer.

Every now and then I'll buy something which is a little more than I might have at other times because at the moment I can, but I am also very aware at all times that could change at any moment and I bear that in mind.

Items I consider to be luxury I have bought the past couple of years are things like my Meaco fan, (whoever it was on here thanks again, if I were to marry an inanimate object I think I would choose that), and my latest purchase the Bug-a-Salt gun.

Mind you, I have come to realise that was a necessity I just previously hadn't known about.

Cost of living didn't apply to the beach on 22:19 - May 27 with 1017 viewsBarcaBlue

Cost of living didn't apply to the beach on 21:59 - May 27 by jeera

That's a weird one on me too.

The 'treat' word is a funny one and gets used in some very different contexts!

But yes, to me money has generally meant tokens to pay for things that need to be done, and beer.

Every now and then I'll buy something which is a little more than I might have at other times because at the moment I can, but I am also very aware at all times that could change at any moment and I bear that in mind.

Items I consider to be luxury I have bought the past couple of years are things like my Meaco fan, (whoever it was on here thanks again, if I were to marry an inanimate object I think I would choose that), and my latest purchase the Bug-a-Salt gun.

Mind you, I have come to realise that was a necessity I just previously hadn't known about.

Is the Meaco fan one that sits on the table for like personal air cooling or does it cool a small room? I've spent way too much money in the last couple of years on fans that just move the air around - I can open windows for that and it's free.

I went as far as buying one that is water cooled with additional ice packs. The theory was good but in practice a crock of sh1te.
Cost of living didn't apply to the beach on 22:26 - May 27 with 998 viewsclive_baker

Cost of living didn't apply to the beach on 22:19 - May 27 by BarcaBlue

Is the Meaco fan one that sits on the table for like personal air cooling or does it cool a small room? I've spent way too much money in the last couple of years on fans that just move the air around - I can open windows for that and it's free.

I went as far as buying one that is water cooled with additional ice packs. The theory was good but in practice a crock of sh1te.

You think you’ve got a lot of fans but Leeds would’ve taken more.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Cost of living didn't apply to the beach on 22:33 - May 27 with 985 viewsjeera

Cost of living didn't apply to the beach on 22:19 - May 27 by BarcaBlue

It's the best damn 'move the air around' fan I've encountered.

It's really quiet which is what I wanted for the bedroom and has various settings from a gentle breeze to gale force winds.

Last Summer I tended to have it on a low setting whilst in bed; couple of hours on the timer. Does that sized room fine yes.

It is a bit bulky so not a small desktop fan.

It can be a bit spooky when it's set to do up/down/side-to-side all at once it looks like whilst it's cooling the room it's also casing the joint and making plans for its own future, like maybe taking over the world or something.

They do different ones which I cannot vouch for but the one I have is the 1056.

Cost of living didn't apply to the beach on 22:46 - May 27 with 960 viewsBarcaBlue

Cost of living didn't apply to the beach on 22:33 - May 27 by jeera

It's the best damn 'move the air around' fan I've encountered.

It's really quiet which is what I wanted for the bedroom and has various settings from a gentle breeze to gale force winds.

Last Summer I tended to have it on a low setting whilst in bed; couple of hours on the timer. Does that sized room fine yes.

It is a bit bulky so not a small desktop fan.

It can be a bit spooky when it's set to do up/down/side-to-side all at once it looks like whilst it's cooling the room it's also casing the joint and making plans for its own future, like maybe taking over the world or something.

They do different ones which I cannot vouch for but the one I have is the 1056.

Thank you, I shall take a look.
Login to get fewer ads

Cost of living didn't apply to the beach on 23:13 - May 27 with 931 viewsBigCommon

Cost of living didn't apply to the beach on 21:26 - May 27 by Swansea_Blue

I eat healthily on £20 a week or less, very easily, as a single person.... Everyone is singling out the low income population as those that are "suffering" most in the current climate... Low income families/individuals, know exactly how to budget and get by on less than middle classes. It's in their DNA... It's the middle classes that will find life difficult.. Those that aren't used to going without certain luxuries, and are facing choices they've never had before.... £20 weekly food shop for a single person is pretty easy..... For a family? That's an art. Which takes certain skills and knowhow.... I've seen posts on hear branding low income people as some kind of brainless idiots... You need your wits , lots of common sense, and skills that are developed over time and experience , to survive on a low income... This is often overlooked by the fortunate, out there.....
Cost of living didn't apply to the beach on 23:40 - May 27 with 910 viewsjeera

Cost of living didn't apply to the beach on 22:46 - May 27 by BarcaBlue

Thank you, I shall take a look.

Well don't buy something on my say so! (I know you'll do your research but just saying).

If you do consider one do shop about. I was irritated to find it was £20 cheaper on Meaco's own site when I bought mine from John Lewis so worth while checking a few places. Or rather it turned out Meaco were throwing in a free storage bag which they were retailing at £20. Worth it if you don't want the thing sitting around gathering dust in the winter months.

I like to use JL for the 2 year warranty but Meaco offered that too anyway as it goes. I was just too eager to check at the time.

The prices varied and I can already see they've gone up at Homebase for example from last year.

Lots of outlets to consider.

Cost of living didn't apply to the beach on 23:41 - May 27 with 907 viewsjeera

Cost of living didn't apply to the beach on 23:13 - May 27 by BigCommon

I eat healthily on £20 a week or less, very easily, as a single person.... Everyone is singling out the low income population as those that are "suffering" most in the current climate... Low income families/individuals, know exactly how to budget and get by on less than middle classes. It's in their DNA... It's the middle classes that will find life difficult.. Those that aren't used to going without certain luxuries, and are facing choices they've never had before.... £20 weekly food shop for a single person is pretty easy..... For a family? That's an art. Which takes certain skills and knowhow.... I've seen posts on hear branding low income people as some kind of brainless idiots... You need your wits , lots of common sense, and skills that are developed over time and experience , to survive on a low income... This is often overlooked by the fortunate, out there.....

Yes I can eat fine on £20 weekly for food only.

I don't know if the £20 mentioned is food only [?].

If it involved household stuff that would be quite another matter.

Cost of living didn't apply to the beach on 07:30 - May 28 with 777 viewsElephantintheRoom

£6 for a parking ticket?

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Cost of living didn't apply to the beach on 09:38 - May 28 with 635 viewsDeano69

Don’t forget, you could have had more than 40 meals for the cost of your outing. Frivolous I would say.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Cost of living didn't apply to the beach on 09:40 - May 28 with 633 viewsJ2BLUE

Cost of living didn't apply to the beach on 23:41 - May 27 by jeera

Yes I can eat fine on £20 weekly for food only.

I don't know if the £20 mentioned is food only [?].

If it involved household stuff that would be quite another matter.

Agree and these things always need context. I saw the phrase main character syndrome on Reddit which I really like.

£20 for a single young person living 2 minutes walk from a Lidl would likely be fine.

£20 for a 55 year old with mobility issues whose only choice is a Sainsburys 5 miles away (or even Asda before Jack Monroe got them to bring back their more extensive basics range) would be more of a challenge.

Appreciate that second example is pretty niche but with razor thin margins little differences are massive.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024