Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Town beat Real Madrid … 08:54 - May 28 with 1781 viewsArnieM

For you young whipper- snappers on here….

Town beat Real Madrid 1-0 at PR and drew 0-0 in the return to dump them out of the European Cup in the 1973 quarter finals ( I think 🤔) ….. only two other British Clubs have achieved that against this formidable Club in Europe .

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/the-night-itfc-beat-real-madrid-899692

I was at this game ( in the North Stand - naturally 👍)

But good luck Liverpool tonight - they deserve something out of their season ….

PS : Town are undefeated in any European game at Portman Road . Blooming good record in my opinion!
[Post edited 28 May 2022 9:07]

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Town beat Real Madrid … on 09:11 - May 28 with 1703 viewsVic

I was there too - on a milk crate in the west stand, tunnel end.

Seem to remember that the goal was a long range Mick Mills deflected effort?

Mick did love his long range shots didn’t he!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Town beat Real Madrid … on 09:16 - May 28 with 1691 viewsmikeybloo88

I wish it had been the European Cup..great shame that none of Sir Bobby’s wonderful teams ever won the league to get into that competition. But the UEFA Cup was still a very prestigious competition and much tougher than today’s equivalent Europa League. So many great European nights back then...
Town beat Real Madrid … on 09:34 - May 28 with 1639 viewsChurchman

Town beat Real Madrid … on 09:11 - May 28 by Vic

I wasn’t at the game, sadly. I do remember listening to it on Radio 2 with the late great Peter Jones on commentary and wishing I had been.

Yes, Mills did like a long range shot. I don’t remember him scoring too many from there. I do notice from the footage that’s been posted what a smashing player he was and how much he liked to rove forward. Add in Burley the other side with his pinpoint crosses that was a lot of headaches for a lot of opposing teams.
Town beat Real Madrid … on 09:40 - May 28 with 1615 viewsnorth_stand77

I was also there in the North stand. As a young teenager though, I probably didn't fully appreciate how special it was.

TWTD
Town beat Real Madrid … on 09:48 - May 28 with 1593 viewsblueprint

Yet the budgies still milk beating the worst Bayern Munich side in living memory.
Town beat Real Madrid … on 09:57 - May 28 with 1579 viewsblueislander

Town beat Real Madrid … on 09:40 - May 28 by north_stand77

I was also there in the North stand. As a young teenager though, I probably didn't fully appreciate how special it was.

TWTD

I watched most of the match from the St.John Ambulance dugout. My now wife fainted not long after the start of the match. At half time she said she was feeling better and we could go back into Churchmans, but I said no way we are fine where we are.
Town beat Real Madrid … on 09:59 - May 28 with 1571 viewsgazzer1999

I was there but it was the Uefa cup, I think you will also find it was the first round we played them. The great Günter Netzer was in the Madrid team.
[Post edited 28 May 2022 17:53]
Town beat Real Madrid … on 10:23 - May 28 with 1519 viewsellaandred

Town beat Real Madrid … on 09:59 - May 28 by gazzer1999

I was there but it was the Uefa cup, I think you will also find it was the first round we played them. The great Günter Netzer was in the Madrid team.

I was the first round but we lost in the quarter finals to Lukomotive Leipzig, on penalties.
Allan Hunter missed the sudden death kick. Remember listening to the match on the radio. So disappointed.
I think the Mick Mills 'goal' against Real was (eventually) given as an own goal.
Login to get fewer ads

Town beat Real Madrid … on 10:38 - May 28 with 1482 viewstrncbluearmy

Northstand for me

ITFC were so good then that we fully expected to beat them and only winning by one
goal was a shade disappointing

TWTD

COYB
[Post edited 28 May 2022 10:39]
Town beat Real Madrid … on 10:39 - May 28 with 1483 viewsunbelievablue

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Town beat Real Madrid … on 10:51 - May 28 with 1445 viewshammo56

Was at the home leg at Portman Road. Was the start of the run where European football seemed the norm at Town, If I'm correct I think it was 9 years out of 10 that we qualified for Europe.
As they say you often don't appreciate things until you no longer have them.
Town beat Real Madrid … on 11:20 - May 28 with 1396 viewsChurchman

Town beat Real Madrid … on 10:51 - May 28 by hammo56

Was at the home leg at Portman Road. Was the start of the run where European football seemed the norm at Town, If I'm correct I think it was 9 years out of 10 that we qualified for Europe.
As they say you often don't appreciate things until you no longer have them.

You are right. The year we missed out, we finished a miserable 6th in 75/76. I was gutted. 6th in the top division? What is the use of that? Sigh…… how times change. Every single club in Division One that year is above us in the Premier League or Championship now, 14 of them in the PL this year.

The mugs that got us to this lowly level should hang their heads in shame.
Town beat Real Madrid … on 11:33 - May 28 with 1360 viewsRadlett_blue

Town beat Real Madrid … on 11:20 - May 28 by Churchman

You are right. The year we missed out, we finished a miserable 6th in 75/76. I was gutted. 6th in the top division? What is the use of that? Sigh…… how times change. Every single club in Division One that year is above us in the Premier League or Championship now, 14 of them in the PL this year.

Yes, Town would have made the UEFA Cup if Man Utd had, as was expected, beaten Southampton in the FA Cup Final as then they would have qualified for the Cup Winners' Cup, which took precedence over the UEFA Cup.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Town beat Real Madrid … on 12:14 - May 28 with 1289 viewsshaunmahony

A great night. I was in line with Mills' shot so got a good view of the deflection. Superb build up play to the Lambert miss. I remember there was a hit song at the time , something like "were off to sunny Spain, e viva Espana" - crowd had a bit of fun singing that!
Town beat Real Madrid … on 12:30 - May 28 with 1254 viewsRadlett_blue

Town beat Real Madrid … on 12:14 - May 28 by shaunmahony

A great night. I was in line with Mills' shot so got a good view of the deflection. Superb build up play to the Lambert miss. I remember there was a hit song at the time , something like "were off to sunny Spain, e viva Espana" - crowd had a bit of fun singing that!

Here it is. Viva Espana by Sylvia.

It didn't actually chart until 1974.
It was the ringtone on my phone until Mrs Radlett made me change it.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Town beat Real Madrid … on 14:08 - May 28 with 1154 viewsgosblue

Town beat Real Madrid … on 09:48 - May 28 by blueprint

Yet the budgies still milk beating the worst Bayern Munich side in living memory.

Three stars on your shirt
Norwich only dreaming
Town beat Real Madrid … on 14:27 - May 28 with 1131 viewsArnieM

Town beat Real Madrid … on 09:11 - May 28 by Vic

Yes it was … and yes he did lol… if you look on the link to eadt , there’s a short video of the goal . Big deflection , but they all count 👍

Town beat Real Madrid … on 14:31 - May 28 with 1123 viewsArnieM

Town beat Real Madrid … on 09:59 - May 28 by gazzer1999

Time dims the mind unfortunately, but then again we were involved in so many European games weren’t we !! 👍
[Post edited 28 May 2022 15:15]

Town beat Real Madrid … on 14:55 - May 28 with 1094 viewsgazzer1999

Town beat Real Madrid … on 14:31 - May 28 by ArnieM

Time dims the mind unfortunately, but then again we were involved in so many European games weren’t we !! 👍
[Post edited 28 May 2022 15:15]

Absolutely, Those really were the days.
Town beat Real Madrid … on 16:27 - May 28 with 977 viewspatrickswell

Town beat Real Madrid … on 11:20 - May 28 by Churchman

Derby have now dropped to our level, and they were defending champions in 75/76. In the space of 9 seasons, they dropped from League Champions to the Third Division by 1984.
Town beat Real Madrid … on 16:39 - May 28 with 938 viewsChurchman

Town beat Real Madrid … on 16:27 - May 28 by patrickswell

Derby have now dropped to our level, and they were defending champions in 75/76. In the space of 9 seasons, they dropped from League Champions to the Third Division by 1984.

Poor wording. I mean as at end of last season.

Yes, I see Derby spent two seasons in the tinpot division in the 80s followed by one in the second division then back to the first division for 16 seasons out of 17 in the top flight.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024