Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just realised that I no longer understand the offside rule! 21:35 - May 28 with 1239 viewsVic

I thought the reds defender was plying Benzema onside!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Just realised that I no longer understand the offside rule! on 21:37 - May 28 with 1216 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

No.

The ref's dont understand it.

Edit: I thought you were referring to the deflection / intent nonsense.
[Post edited 28 May 2022 21:39]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Just realised that I no longer understand the offside rule! on 21:37 - May 28 with 1221 viewsDubtractor

it has to be one defender AND the keeper. Or 2 defenders.

It's just that it is so rare for the keeper to be ahead of the play that it rarely comes into consideration.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Just realised that I no longer understand the offside rule! (n/t) on 21:38 - May 28 with 1197 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Just realised that I no longer understand the offside rule! on 21:37 - May 28 by Dubtractor

It's just that it is so rare for the keeper to be ahead of the play that it rarely comes into consideration.

[Post edited 28 May 2022 21:39]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Just realised that I no longer understand the offside rule! on 21:39 - May 28 with 1177 viewsVic

Just realised that I no longer understand the offside rule! on 21:37 - May 28 by Dubtractor

Indeed - but didn’t know that until just now. Has it always been that way?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Just realised that I no longer understand the offside rule! on 21:39 - May 28 with 1176 viewsBarcaBlue

I thought the ball coming off the Liverpool player meant Benzema wasn't offside.
Just realised that I no longer understand the offside rule! on 21:41 - May 28 with 1156 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Just realised that I no longer understand the offside rule! on 21:39 - May 28 by Vic

Indeed - but didn’t know that until just now. Has it always been that way?

Yes, it has.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Just realised that I no longer understand the offside rule! on 21:41 - May 28 with 1158 viewsmonty_radio

The commentator and Peter Walton initially agreed that the only thing was who had played the ball forward. But then Walton introduced a qualification, asserting that if the defender played the ball forward inadvertantly i.e. not a deliberate pass back, then offside was still the correct ruling.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Just realised that I no longer understand the offside rule! on 21:49 - May 28 with 1104 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Just realised that I no longer understand the offside rule! on 21:41 - May 28 by monty_radio

The commentator and Peter Walton initially agreed that the only thing was who had played the ball forward. But then Walton introduced a qualification, asserting that if the defender played the ball forward inadvertantly i.e. not a deliberate pass back, then offside was still the correct ruling.

Which then also begs the question how often does a defender deliberately pass the ball backwards to an opposition player? Surely it is always a misplaced pass and therefore not deliberately played!

Login to get fewer ads

Just realised that I no longer understand the offside rule! on 21:57 - May 28 with 1064 viewsBarcaBlue

Just realised that I no longer understand the offside rule! on 21:49 - May 28 by Nthsuffolkblue

Which then also begs the question how often does a defender deliberately pass the ball backwards to an opposition player? Surely it is always a misplaced pass and therefore not deliberately played!

Exactly that. I guess it covers a deflection when the attacking player's shot deflects off a defender but otherwise it's a nonsense rule.
Just realised that I no longer understand the offside rule! on 22:03 - May 28 with 1031 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Just realised that I no longer understand the offside rule! on 21:57 - May 28 by BarcaBlue

Exactly that. I guess it covers a deflection when the attacking player's shot deflects off a defender but otherwise it's a nonsense rule.

So, if it deflects off a defender the attacker is now offside (even though they were onside when the shot was hit). That is news to me. Does it include the keeper? So if the keeper saves it (with the ball breaking free but not rebounding away from the defensive end of the pitch) and the attacker who puts in the loose ball did not have two opponents between him and the goal when it was saved, he would be offside?

Just realised that I no longer understand the offside rule! on 22:19 - May 28 with 993 viewsmonty_radio

Just realised that I no longer understand the offside rule! on 21:49 - May 28 by Nthsuffolkblue

Not necessarily. We've seen goals where a defender has deliberately passed it back not realising there was an attacker in behind.

Just realised that I no longer understand the offside rule! on 13:51 - May 29 with 645 viewsberkstractorboy

Just realised that I no longer understand the offside rule! on 21:41 - May 28 by monty_radio

I am sure there was one camera angle that showed a Real player (Valverde?) kicked the ball forward at the point Benzema was offside it then deflected off 2 Liverpool players into the path of Benzema. If that is the case then Benzema offside as it was Real initiating the ball going forward.

Whatever it was a real mess and goes back to the point only a clear error overturns the onfield decision.
Just realised that I no longer understand the offside rule! on 13:59 - May 29 with 632 viewsJDB23

I think the key word in the rule is “deliberate”. You can deliberately make an attempt at blocking/clearing/passing the ball and it inadvertently goes to the attacker and he’s onside. Fabinho knew absolutely nothing about the ball hitting him and therefore it’s offside, he didn’t make a play at the ball. Have to say I knew that making an attempt at the ball then brings the attacker onside but never really thought about a scenario like yesterday before.
Just realised that I no longer understand the offside rule! on 14:09 - May 29 with 616 viewsmonty_radio

Just realised that I no longer understand the offside rule! on 13:59 - May 29 by JDB23

I think the key word in the rule is “deliberate”. You can deliberately make an attempt at blocking/clearing/passing the ball and it inadvertently goes to the attacker and he’s onside. Fabinho knew absolutely nothing about the ball hitting him and therefore it’s offside, he didn’t make a play at the ball. Have to say I knew that making an attempt at the ball then brings the attacker onside but never really thought about a scenario like yesterday before.

Though that interpretation seems to reintroduce an element of "intent" which the handball rule seems to have discarded?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024