Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Champions League Final entry issues last night…. 07:38 - May 29 with 4664 viewsITFC_Forever

Liverpool fans there over 2 hours before kick-off late getting in due to UEFA shutting the gates.

There will be some as always who will go down the usual anti-Liverpool rhetoric, but as one of ours was there (BL), it’ll be interesting to read his version of it.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 08:32 - May 29 with 3473 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Obviously an absolute shambles and UEFA has a lot to answer for. Imagine being a family caught up in that. I can’t believe it was proportionate to use tear gas etc but the continental police are known for it aren’t they.

As an aside, and I appreciate a minority but it’s the anniversary of Heysel today isn’t it and we are still seeing Liverpool fans forcing entry, buying fake tickets etc etc. That is an absolute disgrace and they should be ashamed. The City and club need to acknowledge that for sensible balance.
[Post edited 29 May 2022 8:33]
Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 08:48 - May 29 with 3395 viewsazuremerlangus

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 08:32 - May 29 by PrideOfTheEast

Obviously an absolute shambles and UEFA has a lot to answer for. Imagine being a family caught up in that. I can’t believe it was proportionate to use tear gas etc but the continental police are known for it aren’t they.

As an aside, and I appreciate a minority but it’s the anniversary of Heysel today isn’t it and we are still seeing Liverpool fans forcing entry, buying fake tickets etc etc. That is an absolute disgrace and they should be ashamed. The City and club need to acknowledge that for sensible balance.

Big difference between tear gas and pepper spray. From what I have seen so far it looks like only the latter was used.

Interesting story about fake tickets:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61621930

I blame Putin…

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 09:12 - May 29 with 3313 viewsDublinBlue84

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 08:32 - May 29 by PrideOfTheEast

Agree, clearly badly organised and they were not prepared for what was happening and fake tickets being used at such matches are nothing new. UEFA should have been much better prepared and need to do more in order to prevent huge number of ticketless fans being present and also control crowds in a proportional way.

However from a friend who was there, it was clear that there was a minority of Liverpool fans without tickets who were determined to force their way in no matter what, that might well be why they closed the gates, to regain control because of the people who were climbing the fences and the sheer number of people gathering, way in excess of tickets sold.

Unfortunately much of the reporting has focused on the policing, but hasn't reported at all on those forcing entry which means the full story isn't being told. There was more than one factor at play here.
[Post edited 29 May 2022 9:15]

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 09:22 - May 29 with 3285 viewsBloomBlue

Correct it is the anniversary of Heysel today and the main reason why I dislike Liverpool fans. Hillsborough was a terrible disaster and was preventable, but also Heysel was a disaster that was preventable, caused by Liverpool fans getting pissed and then acting like animals. Made worse by the fact it took them years to accept responsibility, although some never will, exacerbated by that idiot chairman who immediately tried to blame Chelsea & Millwall fans

RIP the 39
Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 09:32 - May 29 with 3245 viewsBasuco

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 08:48 - May 29 by azuremerlangus

Big difference between tear gas and pepper spray. From what I have seen so far it looks like only the latter was used.

I blame Putin…

Andy Robertson gave a ticket to a mate who was denied entry and told it was a fake, but it wasn't, that is not a great start from UEFA/Stade de France. Was the problem with the ticket checks or the tickets? Only one example I know but looks like there was more than one problem.
Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 09:34 - May 29 with 3253 viewsChrisd

I would be one of those that would go down the usual anti-Liverpool rhetoric, but as the images have shown the organisers and French police haven't covered themselves in glory. Why were the Madrid fans able to get into the stadium ok and then the Liverpool fans are left queuing hours on end before kick off? It appears the two sets of fans were treated completely differently.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 09:48 - May 29 with 3142 viewsWD19

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 08:48 - May 29 by azuremerlangus

I blame Putin…

Liverpool would have won if it had kicked off on time. The game should be replayed.
Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 09:53 - May 29 with 3141 viewsScout38

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 09:34 - May 29 by Chrisd

I would be one of those that would go down the usual anti-Liverpool rhetoric, but as the images have shown the organisers and French police haven't covered themselves in glory. Why were the Madrid fans able to get into the stadium ok and then the Liverpool fans are left queuing hours on end before kick off? It appears the two sets of fans were treated completely differently.

Perhaps they were treated differently because they are different. Hillsborough, Heysel and Paris have a common demoninator.
This is how the delightful Liverpool fans greeted the Manchester City team bus
Login to get fewer ads

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 10:31 - May 29 with 3005 viewsDublinBlue84

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 09:34 - May 29 by Chrisd

Because there were not the same number of ticketless Real fans trying to force their way into the stadium perhaps?
[Post edited 29 May 2022 10:31]

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 10:31 - May 29 with 2995 viewsChrisd

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 09:53 - May 29 by Scout38

Perhaps they were treated differently because they are different. Hillsborough, Heysel and Paris have a common demoninator.

And Real Madrid haven't got their fair share of idiotic supporters among their fanbase? Don't get me wrong, when the news was breaking last night, I thought instantly Liverpool fans misbehaving and causing trouble, but that wasn't the case. If the intention was to treat them differently, then that was simply encouraging things to kick off. That can't be right?

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 10:38 - May 29 with 2965 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 10:31 - May 29 by Chrisd

And Real Madrid haven't got their fair share of idiotic supporters among their fanbase? Don't get me wrong, when the news was breaking last night, I thought instantly Liverpool fans misbehaving and causing trouble, but that wasn't the case. If the intention was to treat them differently, then that was simply encouraging things to kick off. That can't be right?

It was undeniably hopelessly and dangerously organised. Several journalists on Twitter have made that very clear with some good evidence so I am sure there will be repercussions, rightly so.

It’s also undeniable that a number of Liverpool fans got in with fake tickets (or tried), got in without tickets in some cases etc. That’s a club and fan base that has rightly spent decades campaigning for justice for Hillsborough and this happened on the anniversary of Heysel. Seriously - what on earth are they doing.
Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 11:08 - May 29 with 2856 viewsPhilTWTD

This thread is a good account of the poor organisation.

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 11:12 - May 29 with 2838 viewsbluelagos

Some of the comments on this thread are disgraceful, but not unexpected

For those with an ounce of intelligence feel free to read the Daily Mail journo. Eye witness account.

Have done a blog but will wait til tomorrow to post as hard on WiFi.

BL

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 11:17 - May 29 with 2777 viewsPJH

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 11:12 - May 29 by bluelagos

Some of the comments on this thread are disgraceful, but not unexpected

For those with an ounce of intelligence feel free to read the Daily Mail journo. Eye witness account.

Have done a blog but will wait til tomorrow to post as hard on WiFi.

BL

Logged in (a rarity) to upvote your post BL.
Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 11:21 - May 29 with 2757 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 11:08 - May 29 by PhilTWTD

Seems, from what I've read this morning that there are a few things flying around on this and UEFA, The French Police and Stadium Personnel don't cover themselves in glory.

It looks as though there were a number of ticketless fans and fake ticket holders who turned up early on and were turned away, but at that point, the organisers defaulted to an assumption that every ticket that wouldn't scan first time was fake and they refused to check. This caused huge build ups at the turnstiles and obvious frustration, which the french authorities interpreted as aggression, and deployed tear gas on 'the mob'. Ultimately led to valid ticket holders starting to climb barriers which exacerbated the situation.

However, turnstiles were rushed, and a number of ticketless fans got in, I don't believe they were all Liverpool fans, I think the large proportion were local residents that took advantage of what was happening, but, we are currently under warning from UEFA for what happened at Wembley when the exact same thing happened, and its happened again involving an English club, I rather fear that the UEFA 'investigation' will be to blame ticketless Liverpool fans trying to force entry.

We've been here before, and UEFA and the Paris officials will get away scott free, again.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 11:45 - May 29 with 2663 viewsFreddies_Ears

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 10:38 - May 29 by PrideOfTheEast

It was undeniably hopelessly and dangerously organised. Several journalists on Twitter have made that very clear with some good evidence so I am sure there will be repercussions, rightly so.

It’s also undeniable that a number of Liverpool fans got in with fake tickets (or tried), got in without tickets in some cases etc. That’s a club and fan base that has rightly spent decades campaigning for justice for Hillsborough and this happened on the anniversary of Heysel. Seriously - what on earth are they doing.

They also did it, in smaller numbers, in Madrid in 2019. Fake hospitality passes... I was in very early, but it was noticeable that the Liverpool end filled very, very late, and there were a lot of gaps for much of the first half.
Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 11:48 - May 29 with 2653 viewsRyorry

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 11:21 - May 29 by Cheltenham_Blue

Seems, from what I've read this morning that there are a few things flying around on this and UEFA, The French Police and Stadium Personnel don't cover themselves in glory.

It looks as though there were a number of ticketless fans and fake ticket holders who turned up early on and were turned away, but at that point, the organisers defaulted to an assumption that every ticket that wouldn't scan first time was fake and they refused to check. This caused huge build ups at the turnstiles and obvious frustration, which the french authorities interpreted as aggression, and deployed tear gas on 'the mob'. Ultimately led to valid ticket holders starting to climb barriers which exacerbated the situation.

However, turnstiles were rushed, and a number of ticketless fans got in, I don't believe they were all Liverpool fans, I think the large proportion were local residents that took advantage of what was happening, but, we are currently under warning from UEFA for what happened at Wembley when the exact same thing happened, and its happened again involving an English club, I rather fear that the UEFA 'investigation' will be to blame ticketless Liverpool fans trying to force entry.

We've been here before, and UEFA and the Paris officials will get away scott free, again.

Then UEFA & the Paris officials need to listen to the Spanish Secretary of State for Sport (who I hope will make his voice heard if he isn't asked) who was right there in the crowd, also struggled to get in - stuck for an hour 100m away.

He reported live to BBCR5 at about 19.50 BST that the Liverpool supporters had arrived in plenty of time, were staying remarkably patient & calm in the face of awful treatment by the authorities, and that there simply weren't enough officials at the outer perimeter check points to validate tickets which should have allowed people through to the turnstiles. He also mentioned the problem of fake tickets jamming up the turnstiles.

At least 2 BBC reporters incl Gary Lineker also said they'd had huge difficulties getting in. If the stadium couldn't even competently manage entry for those with media passes, it should certainly makes those whose instant inclination is to blame L'pool fans question how the authorities handled entry for the fans.

https://theathletic.com/news/champions-league-final-delayed-liverpool-real-madri

I hope BL will correct any errors in the above.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 11:57 - May 29 with 2590 viewsRyorry

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 09:53 - May 29 by Scout38

I hope there's a good reason for those poor police horses not wearing eye shields.

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 12:06 - May 29 with 2547 viewsRyorry

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 11:08 - May 29 by PhilTWTD

Excellent, very detailed, needs a read.

Worth mentioning particularly - "One feature of Lord Justice Taylor report into Hillsborough was the complete lack of sensible response from police on ground because they didn’t have authority to change plans. Senior commanders were elsewhere. This is exactly what happened last night"

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 12:10 - May 29 with 2527 viewsBarcaBlue

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 11:48 - May 29 by Ryorry

Then UEFA & the Paris officials need to listen to the Spanish Secretary of State for Sport (who I hope will make his voice heard if he isn't asked) who was right there in the crowd, also struggled to get in - stuck for an hour 100m away.

He reported live to BBCR5 at about 19.50 BST that the Liverpool supporters had arrived in plenty of time, were staying remarkably patient & calm in the face of awful treatment by the authorities, and that there simply weren't enough officials at the outer perimeter check points to validate tickets which should have allowed people through to the turnstiles. He also mentioned the problem of fake tickets jamming up the turnstiles.

At least 2 BBC reporters incl Gary Lineker also said they'd had huge difficulties getting in. If the stadium couldn't even competently manage entry for those with media passes, it should certainly makes those whose instant inclination is to blame L'pool fans question how the authorities handled entry for the fans.

https://theathletic.com/news/champions-league-final-delayed-liverpool-real-madri

I hope BL will correct any errors in the above.

Spanish tv had their satellite truck parked opposite the closed Gate Z where a large number of Liverpool fans were shown waiting outside. They provided a live feed in a small box on the screen during the build up. I'd say 90% there were wearing Liverpool shirts and at no time showed any sign of aggro. Even when the gate opened at 9.10 there was no surge.

There were quite a few people milling around, very few wearing colours and the handful that tried to climb fences weren't obviously Liverpool fans. Can't tell from tv pictures but I assume there were quite a few locals about.

My take, and only from one tv camera, was the incredible restraint from fans waiting to get in. Imagine being outside the ground, 10 minutes after the match was supposed to start and the gates are closed. Even when Gate Z opened there was no surge or rushing.

Because there are so many videos and feeds available, UEFA and the police are going to struggle to deflect blame, and hope there's a full enquiry. I can't see how fans who were left stuck outside can be compensated but it's something that also needs looking into.
Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 12:28 - May 29 with 2443 viewsPendejo

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 09:22 - May 29 by BloomBlue

Correct it is the anniversary of Heysel today and the main reason why I dislike Liverpool fans. Hillsborough was a terrible disaster and was preventable, but also Heysel was a disaster that was preventable, caused by Liverpool fans getting pissed and then acting like animals. Made worse by the fact it took them years to accept responsibility, although some never will, exacerbated by that idiot chairman who immediately tried to blame Chelsea & Millwall fans

RIP the 39

Things like Heysel, Hillsborough or last night are rarely that simple as one group of fans are bad.

An element of English fans were a nightmare at home and abroad in the 70s and 80s. Liverpool fans got a huge slice of the overseas action because they were so damn successful.
Ipswich fans, I am told by people who were there, trashed Brugge after losing 4-0 there in mid-70s.

I don't particularly like Liverpool fans due to personal experiences at Anfield, PR and the London Underground, but I simply can't judge them all in the basis of the worst.

All the events listed above had the factor of authority breaking down or simply disappearing when most needed.

I knew someone who was at Heysel, an Ipswich fan, who cited problems in the unsegregated terrace where the disaster occurred, lack of action by authorities or by non-aggressors in that section. Liverpool fans tore down an inadequate fence with little or no security and the rest... Is history.

Does anyone else remember the Juve fans on pitch afterwards with a "Reds animals" banner? Not knocked up during the game was it? Nice had their bad boys also.

Reading the linked journos account seems to indicate paid poor decisions from those in charge, again.

Since covid our tickets have had suggested entry times on when to enter to avoid over crowding... Did they last night?

Did the French do anything, I mean anything, last night that they'd not have done for any other match in that stadium?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 12:41 - May 29 with 2393 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 12:10 - May 29 by BarcaBlue

Spanish tv had their satellite truck parked opposite the closed Gate Z where a large number of Liverpool fans were shown waiting outside. They provided a live feed in a small box on the screen during the build up. I'd say 90% there were wearing Liverpool shirts and at no time showed any sign of aggro. Even when the gate opened at 9.10 there was no surge.

There were quite a few people milling around, very few wearing colours and the handful that tried to climb fences weren't obviously Liverpool fans. Can't tell from tv pictures but I assume there were quite a few locals about.

My take, and only from one tv camera, was the incredible restraint from fans waiting to get in. Imagine being outside the ground, 10 minutes after the match was supposed to start and the gates are closed. Even when Gate Z opened there was no surge or rushing.

Because there are so many videos and feeds available, UEFA and the police are going to struggle to deflect blame, and hope there's a full enquiry. I can't see how fans who were left stuck outside can be compensated but it's something that also needs looking into.

It’s already starting

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/liverpool-fans-final-338937?_gl=1*fx6557*_ga*MTkxNTQ

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 13:15 - May 29 with 2265 viewsITFC_Forever

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 12:28 - May 29 by Pendejo

Things like Heysel, Hillsborough or last night are rarely that simple as one group of fans are bad.

An element of English fans were a nightmare at home and abroad in the 70s and 80s. Liverpool fans got a huge slice of the overseas action because they were so damn successful.
Ipswich fans, I am told by people who were there, trashed Brugge after losing 4-0 there in mid-70s.

I don't particularly like Liverpool fans due to personal experiences at Anfield, PR and the London Underground, but I simply can't judge them all in the basis of the worst.

All the events listed above had the factor of authority breaking down or simply disappearing when most needed.

I knew someone who was at Heysel, an Ipswich fan, who cited problems in the unsegregated terrace where the disaster occurred, lack of action by authorities or by non-aggressors in that section. Liverpool fans tore down an inadequate fence with little or no security and the rest... Is history.

Does anyone else remember the Juve fans on pitch afterwards with a "Reds animals" banner? Not knocked up during the game was it? Nice had their bad boys also.

Reading the linked journos account seems to indicate paid poor decisions from those in charge, again.

Since covid our tickets have had suggested entry times on when to enter to avoid over crowding... Did they last night?

Did the French do anything, I mean anything, last night that they'd not have done for any other match in that stadium?

The Liverpool fans were at the stadium checkpoints 2-3 hours before the kick-off…. I’m pretty sure that should be a more than reasonable amount of time in advance.

The road they then had to walk down had two police vans parked sideways across it, turning a 10m road into 1m.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 13:32 - May 29 with 2210 viewsBramidan

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 12:41 - May 29 by Cheltenham_Blue

It’s already starting

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/liverpool-fans-final-338937?_gl=1*fx6557*_ga*MTkxNTQ

Never the Liverpool fans is it?

If you go abroad behave yourselves or accept the consequences, the police don’t hang back.
Why oh why when British clubs play abroad do we suddenly seem surprised that there are problems.

Don’t you think it might have something to do with the amount of alcohol consumed and the idea that the rules don’t apply, no ticket never mind.
Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 13:41 - May 29 with 2172 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Champions League Final entry issues last night…. on 13:32 - May 29 by Bramidan

Never the Liverpool fans is it?

If you go abroad behave yourselves or accept the consequences, the police don’t hang back.
Why oh why when British clubs play abroad do we suddenly seem surprised that there are problems.

Don’t you think it might have something to do with the amount of alcohol consumed and the idea that the rules don’t apply, no ticket never mind.

Errrr. Not in this case. What a ridiculous post.

Wasn't it you that was having a similarly misinformed pop about Women's football a while back?

This from fans who were there.

"Will, from Liverpool, said he took his 84-year-old mother, who uses a wheelchair, to the game, but were turned away at the turnstiles.

"We both had genuine tickets but were told they were fake and when she asked the police office to hand her ticket back, she was pepper sprayed and rolled off behind a cage so she could 'calm down'," he told BBC Sport.

"When she tried to leave, one of the police officers put some sort of bike lock around her wheelchair and this wasn't released until the game was finished.
[Post edited 29 May 2022 13:52]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024