Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Forest this season 08:33 - May 30 with 1633 viewsVic

Have done what we hoped we might have done after our bad start. Phenomenal.

Shows it can be done.

Given the set up we have now - investment, manager, structure, I’ll be absolutely gutted if we have another season of mediocrity. It surely can’t happen, can it?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Forest this season on 08:42 - May 30 with 1587 viewsADStephenson

I have to confess not following the Championship at all this season (other than the end results of promotion and relegation). I assume that the rest of the top half of the division resorted to type and dropped points here and there to allow Forest to sneak in towards the end, unlink League One where it seemed that everyone around us kept on plugging away until the very end. We really do seem to luck out time and again.

www.adstephenson.com

Forest this season on 08:44 - May 30 with 1567 viewsChrisd

I know some keep mentioning our slow start, but it was certainly a lot better than Forest's, they had 1 point after their first 7 league games and still finished on 80pts. I agree it can be done, Forest showed that, but even with our uninspiring start under PC, we still drew too many games under KM towards the end of the season to be considered serious top 6 contenders.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Forest this season on 08:49 - May 30 with 1549 viewsVic

Forest this season on 08:42 - May 30 by ADStephenson

I have to confess not following the Championship at all this season (other than the end results of promotion and relegation). I assume that the rest of the top half of the division resorted to type and dropped points here and there to allow Forest to sneak in towards the end, unlink League One where it seemed that everyone around us kept on plugging away until the very end. We really do seem to luck out time and again.

I don’t know, but forest had 1 point after 6 games so were 8n a worse place than us.

We simply didn’t pick up enough points over the rest of the season, despite how well the other teams did. We ended up with one more than the season before and not enough to secure PO’s in a normal season. We had a good ppg total, it it tailed off at the end; had we got another 5 pts I think we could have justifiably pointed to how well the other teams did, but as it was we didn’t do enough over the last 4-5 games to even trouble the POs in a normal season, let alone this one.

Forest this season on 08:52 - May 30 with 1531 viewsLesta_Tractor

It surely can’t happen, can it?

We're Ipswich, so it probably will

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Forest this season on 09:04 - May 30 with 1495 viewsITFC_Forever

Forest this season on 08:49 - May 30 by Vic

I don’t know, but forest had 1 point after 6 games so were 8n a worse place than us.

We simply didn’t pick up enough points over the rest of the season, despite how well the other teams did. We ended up with one more than the season before and not enough to secure PO’s in a normal season. We had a good ppg total, it it tailed off at the end; had we got another 5 pts I think we could have justifiably pointed to how well the other teams did, but as it was we didn’t do enough over the last 4-5 games to even trouble the POs in a normal season, let alone this one.

It also goes to show that dropped points are costly, whether they’re in the first or last month of the season.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Forest this season on 09:09 - May 30 with 1478 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

He was appointed in September, McKenna was appointed in December.

Cooper did a fantastic job, but had a better run at it from earlier in the season.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Forest this season on 09:37 - May 30 with 1387 viewsSitfcB

Forest this season on 08:42 - May 30 by ADStephenson

Forest only lost 8 games after Cooper took over.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Forest this season on 09:47 - May 30 with 1364 viewsclive_baker

My concern isn't so much that we'll have a season of mediocrity, I don't think we will I think we'll be very competitive. My concern is that however competitve we are, and however we equip ourselves on and off the pitch there's still number of factors that can influence the final result, not least luck. A lot of good sides and taken a while to get promoted and have a number of near misses, look at us under Burley prior to finally getting over the line in 2000. We've not really threatened to et close yet, and while I think we will be 'there or thereabouts' this season, it's quite a leap from 4th / 5th placed in-the-mix to actually getting promoted. People obsess about the playoffs like that's job done, but by definition 75% of the playoff sides have nothing to show for it a few weeks later. Can we demonstrate the ruthlessness and level of consistency to be top 2 and eliminate the lottery that is the playoffs? A la Rotherham this season or Coventry the season before? Remains to be seen but that's the level we need to be aiming for. Chasing 6th isn't good enough.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

Forest this season on 09:57 - May 30 with 1311 viewsBent_double

I have to admit, a part of me didn't want Forest to go up - their story is so similar to ours in many ways, and them getting promoted leaves us alone in that respect.

Not only that, but when we're stranded at the bottom of the Championship, sack the manager and get a new one in, we only managed to get relegated, whereas they do 'the impossible', so I'm just a little jealous of that too.

But no, best of luck to them, and hopefully Johnson will do well for them and we'll be treated to comparisons of him and his dad along with footage of dad scoring in a Town shirt all those years ago.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Forest this season on 10:00 - May 30 with 1281 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Forest this season on 09:47 - May 30 by clive_baker

My concern isn't so much that we'll have a season of mediocrity, I don't think we will I think we'll be very competitive. My concern is that however competitve we are, and however we equip ourselves on and off the pitch there's still number of factors that can influence the final result, not least luck. A lot of good sides and taken a while to get promoted and have a number of near misses, look at us under Burley prior to finally getting over the line in 2000. We've not really threatened to et close yet, and while I think we will be 'there or thereabouts' this season, it's quite a leap from 4th / 5th placed in-the-mix to actually getting promoted. People obsess about the playoffs like that's job done, but by definition 75% of the playoff sides have nothing to show for it a few weeks later. Can we demonstrate the ruthlessness and level of consistency to be top 2 and eliminate the lottery that is the playoffs? A la Rotherham this season or Coventry the season before? Remains to be seen but that's the level we need to be aiming for. Chasing 6th isn't good enough.

We need a plan B.

We can't come away from games complaining that the other team defended too much, or had two banks of four etc.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Forest this season on 10:27 - May 30 with 1217 viewsclive_baker

Forest this season on 10:00 - May 30 by Marshalls_Mullet

We need a plan B.

We can't come away from games complaining that the other team defended too much, or had two banks of four etc.

Definitely. I'm sick of seeing people complaining about 'sh1thouse' opponents, time wasting, play acting and all the rest of it. It is annoying but it happens and it will continue to happen. We need to be able to mix it up and have a plan B when we need to to find that way through. I like McKenna a lot and his approach, we need to establish that 'way to win' though as cliche as it is, especially away. Don't get me wrong the home form needs improvement too and we can probably expect more underhand tactics at PR as sides park the bus but I think we will have a bit of joy at home next season, in front of a large crowd and on the front foot with the quality we've got. It's those sticky away games that spring to mind, like Crewe, Shrewsbury, Morecambe, Cambridge, Accrington, Cheltenham, Burton. I don't think we won at any of these last season. I'm sure there's plenty more. Wigan picked up 20 more points than us away last season. That was the difference. They were unique in that they were better away than at home but I would love to see us going and consistently doing those professional jobs, 1-0, 2-0 on the road. Such satisfying wins.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Forest this season on 10:30 - May 30 with 1209 viewsArnieM

Out of interest, did Forest have a whole new squad at the start of the season , and new background staff?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Forest this season on 10:59 - May 30 with 1158 viewsVic

Forest this season on 10:30 - May 30 by ArnieM

Out of interest, did Forest have a whole new squad at the start of the season , and new background staff?

Don’t think they did Arnie, and I was only saying that we ‘hoped’ our season would turn like Forests. He defo had mitigating circumstances, but even given those the fact is that we did rather taper away at the end.

I’m not sure we’ve done much anaylysis as to why that happened. Did teams start to find us out? The the new manager bounce finally end?

Forest this season on 11:09 - May 30 with 1134 viewsHighgateBlue

Forest this season on 09:09 - May 30 by Marshalls_Mullet

He was appointed in September, McKenna was appointed in December.

Cooper did a fantastic job, but had a better run at it from earlier in the season.

Absolutely. It does make one think "what if Cook had been fired when he should have been?", but there was insufficient clamour and far too much delusion that he was doing a good job.

Still, we have KMac now, and that is worth a lot. Highly confident of top 6 next season, which would represent a very significant improvement. Anything more than that is a huge bonus.
Forest this season on 13:19 - May 30 with 996 viewsChrisd

Forest this season on 09:57 - May 30 by Bent_double

I have to admit, a part of me didn't want Forest to go up - their story is so similar to ours in many ways, and them getting promoted leaves us alone in that respect.

Not only that, but when we're stranded at the bottom of the Championship, sack the manager and get a new one in, we only managed to get relegated, whereas they do 'the impossible', so I'm just a little jealous of that too.

But no, best of luck to them, and hopefully Johnson will do well for them and we'll be treated to comparisons of him and his dad along with footage of dad scoring in a Town shirt all those years ago.

Like us, they've had plenty of ups and downs over the last couple of decades since their EPL relegation in 1999. If anything this season, bucks the trend. This article highlights how they have flattered to decisive at times, which very much mirrors our own lack of success in the modern era:

https://www.skysports.com/football/story-telling/11727/12622417/nottingham-fores

Forest this season on 13:41 - May 30 with 956 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Forest this season on 11:09 - May 30 by HighgateBlue

Absolutely. It does make one think "what if Cook had been fired when he should have been?", but there was insufficient clamour and far too much delusion that he was doing a good job.

Still, we have KMac now, and that is worth a lot. Highly confident of top 6 next season, which would represent a very significant improvement. Anything more than that is a huge bonus.

The worry I have with that, is that I am guessing the pension fund wasn't sold the club on the idea of just having a tilt at the play offs.

Cook should have got us at least near the play offs at the end of the 20/21 season.

21/22 we didn't spend a single hour all season in the play off places.

If we struggle to make a decent challenge this season, I wonder how that will be viewed by the funders.

Forest this season on 13:44 - May 30 with 951 viewsPlums

Forest this season on 13:19 - May 30 by Chrisd

Like us, they've had plenty of ups and downs over the last couple of decades since their EPL relegation in 1999. If anything this season, bucks the trend. This article highlights how they have flattered to decisive at times, which very much mirrors our own lack of success in the modern era:

https://www.skysports.com/football/story-telling/11727/12622417/nottingham-fores

There are lots of parallels between the two clubs and our respective history. We do have one connection to the celebrations. The City Council leader quoted in the linked article is a Town fan. I think his brother may post on here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-61631377

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Forest this season on 13:50 - May 30 with 929 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Forest this season on 08:44 - May 30 by Chrisd

I know some keep mentioning our slow start, but it was certainly a lot better than Forest's, they had 1 point after their first 7 league games and still finished on 80pts. I agree it can be done, Forest showed that, but even with our uninspiring start under PC, we still drew too many games under KM towards the end of the season to be considered serious top 6 contenders.

But we also made a change much later than Forest. How far behind the pace were they after 23 matches (or however many it was when McKenna came in)? I see someone says Forest only lost 8 games under Cooper. Didn't we only lose 4 under McKenna? That said, towards the end of the season we did draw a few we should have won, as you state.

It is clear to me that there was far too much for McKenna to do by the time he was brought in.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Forest this season on 14:02 - May 30 with 900 viewsRadlett_blue

Forest this season on 13:50 - May 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

But we also made a change much later than Forest. How far behind the pace were they after 23 matches (or however many it was when McKenna came in)? I see someone says Forest only lost 8 games under Cooper. Didn't we only lose 4 under McKenna? That said, towards the end of the season we did draw a few we should have won, as you state.

It is clear to me that there was far too much for McKenna to do by the time he was brought in.

McKenna's Town gleaned 41pts from half a season, which if repeated over a season would have put us on 82 points, a frustrating 1pt outside the play-offs. The poor run at the end of the season, with only 8 points from the last 6 games, took a bit of gloss from his reign but with the right additions, which he can integrate into his preferred system, I would be really disappointed if town didn't at least make the play offs next season.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Forest this season on 15:15 - May 30 with 822 viewsChrisd

Forest this season on 13:50 - May 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

Cooper's managerial record with Forest this season reads

Championship:
P38 W22 D10 L6 Pts 76 (PPG 2)

Play Offs:
P3 W2 D0 L1

FA Cup
P4 W3 D0 L1

It's an incredibly impressive record. Like you mentioned, KM probably had too much to do when he arrived here and had little margin for error, but the number of draws we had towards the end of the season certainly blunted our charge. KM needs to find a way next season of turning those draws, against those stubborn sides that shut up shop, into 3 points more consistently, but he'll know that. Ultimately, draws aren't going to get you into that top 6.
[Post edited 30 May 2022 15:18]

Forest this season on 15:19 - May 30 with 802 viewsRadlett_blue

Forest this season on 15:15 - May 30 by Chrisd

Cooper's managerial record with Forest this season reads

Championship:
P38 W22 D10 L6 Pts 76 (PPG 2)

Play Offs:
P3 W2 D0 L1

FA Cup
P4 W3 D0 L1

It's an incredibly impressive record. Like you mentioned, KM probably had too much to do when he arrived here and had little margin for error, but the number of draws we had towards the end of the season certainly blunted our charge. KM needs to find a way next season of turning those draws, against those stubborn sides that shut up shop, into 3 points more consistently, but he'll know that. Ultimately, draws aren't going to get you into that top 6.
[Post edited 30 May 2022 15:18]

Interesting that Cooper was fired by Swansea despite taking them to the play-offs in both of his 2 seasons there. Maybe we'll fire McKenna if he achieves the same in the next 2 seasons?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Forest this season on 15:36 - May 30 with 774 viewsBlueBlood90

Nottingham Forest sacked Hughton after 9 games.

We sacked Cook after 20 (ish?) games in December. If we'd done the same as Forest then I'm confident we probably would've made the play-offs.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

Forest this season on 15:56 - May 30 with 740 viewsArnieM

Forest this season on 10:59 - May 30 by Vic

Don’t think they did Arnie, and I was only saying that we ‘hoped’ our season would turn like Forests. He defo had mitigating circumstances, but even given those the fact is that we did rather taper away at the end.

I’m not sure we’ve done much anaylysis as to why that happened. Did teams start to find us out? The the new manager bounce finally end?

I bet the Club has done their analysis though ( thankfully), because that’ll inform our activity in the comings weeks pre season won’t it. I think we’ve tightened up under McKenna, but goals for are abysmal . It’s going to be a combination of strikers and service to those strikers snd scoring threat from midfield. Which had been done to death by us all as we try to rationalise our continued failings .

We’ll get there I’ve no doubt , but whether we are the finished article this coming season remains to be seen. I think the worst thing we can do is make large scale changes to the squad again .

The Forest manager did a bloody brilliant job - but maybe they were just that much more settled and had the quality in the squad . I’m really pleased Forest went up and not “ Evans Huddersfield “. I don’t that asset stripper to get anything from the game now. He’s a leech in my view now .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024