Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Passports. 15:05 - May 31 with 1133 viewsLord_Lucan

We had a thread on passports recently but I can’t find it.

Dolly hadn’t renewed his and blamed the world but was told my many people (including me) that it’s his own fault and he lacked personal responsibility.

Then I realised my Mrs had run out and it was by fault as it’s a blue job.

Anyhoo - please to report, ordered online on 15th and received today.

I’m guessing we were either lucky or (more probably) it’s the paper applications that are the problem.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Passports. on 15:09 - May 31 with 1104 viewsunbelievablue

Paper apps are a nightmare. Outdated processes, unreliable third party contractors, and inefficient internal IT all contribute to pretty much zero slack in the system when it comes to any kind of backlog.

Of course, if it wasn't for a senior civil servant disliking the way I dressed back in 2017, I could have made more of a lasting impact...

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Passports. on 15:22 - May 31 with 1058 viewsblueasfook

That was a quick turnaround. My online application took about 5 weeks. They seem to have got their act together.

Isn't it lovely to have a proper GB passport again?

TWTD Veteran
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Passports. on 15:24 - May 31 with 1048 viewsJ2BLUE

...well? Is it blue?!?!

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Passports. on 15:27 - May 31 with 1041 viewsbluelagos

Passports. on 15:22 - May 31 by blueasfook

That was a quick turnaround. My online application took about 5 weeks. They seem to have got their act together.

Isn't it lovely to have a proper GB passport again?

Didn't help me yesterday, still had to queue up with all the non Europeans at Eurostar whilst the EU passport holders got through passport control in a fraction of the time.

Another 15 minutes on the debit side of the equation duly noted.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Passports. on 15:30 - May 31 with 1026 viewsLord_Lucan

Passports. on 15:27 - May 31 by bluelagos

Didn't help me yesterday, still had to queue up with all the non Europeans at Eurostar whilst the EU passport holders got through passport control in a fraction of the time.

I went Eurostar to Amsterdam yesterday and it was an absolute breeze

I’m supposed to be at a trade show at the moment but I’ve gone into a bar by mistake.
[Post edited 31 May 2022 15:32]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Passports. on 15:32 - May 31 with 1013 viewsSteve_M

Pah, only 15 minutes. Should have tried flying into Heathrow yesterday afternoon, an utter fecking shambles at passport control.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Passports. on 15:34 - May 31 with 1006 viewsblueasfook

Passports. on 15:30 - May 31 by Lord_Lucan

I’m supposed to be at a trade show at the moment but I’ve gone into a bar by mistake.

Ah! I miss Dam. I'll be over later in the year for a blow-out.

I mean sensiblec sight-seeing trip.

TWTD Veteran
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Passports. on 15:44 - May 31 with 969 viewsLord_Lucan

Passports. on 15:24 - May 31 by J2BLUE

...well? Is it blue?!?!

Yeah. Same colour as of old.

Login to get fewer ads

Passports. on 15:45 - May 31 with 964 viewsJ2BLUE

Passports. on 15:44 - May 31 by Lord_Lucan

Yeah. Same colour as of old.

You're welcome.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Passports. on 15:52 - May 31 with 955 viewsbluelagos

Passports. on 15:32 - May 31 by Steve_M

Pah, only 15 minutes. Should have tried flying into Heathrow yesterday afternoon, an utter fecking shambles at passport control.

The ticket check took 15 mins and same again for the bag checks. One mate was getting uppity and I pointed out the same as you - airports far worse atm.

A random French policeman even got a smile off me as I thanked him for not tear gassing any of the children in the queue.

He probably went off to find some blind people to pepper spray instead.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Passports. on 16:02 - May 31 with 937 viewsBloomBlue

What seems to be catching people out is countries are counting 10 years from the date the passport started not the expire date. When you renew a passport if you apply a few months before it expires they include the unused months ie the passport runs for 10 years 5 months.

For example my passport started on Sept 2013 and expires Mar 2023, so 10 years 6 months.
In the old model where you required 3+ months on your passport they worked back from the expire date, which means the holiday I have booked in Oct this year not a problem. Well not a problem in the old model, but as my passport start date is Sept 2013 they now calculate 10 years from there meaning if I tried to use my current passport for the Oct holiday it's now invalid as the 10 years is up in Sept even though my passport expire date is Mar next year.

Now obviously I have time to renew my passport but it's the expire date not counting now is catching people out especially for those countries who require at least 6 months on a passport before it expires.
Passports. on 16:27 - May 31 with 894 viewsMattinLondon

What! Didn’t those foreigners realise that you hold a British passport and should be given better treatment than those EU types?

I had the misfortune of getting into a conversation with a Brexit type at the passport office - apparently the EU banned the UK from having blue passports. Nothing like ignorance.
Passports. on 17:38 - May 31 with 799 viewsLeBlue

That's swift. I applied online for my daughter's renewal yesterday and posted off her old one today, fingers crossed!!
Passports. on 17:46 - May 31 with 775 viewsSwansea_Blue

It seems ridiculously hit and miss. We ordered our daughters over a month ago and still no sign. There’s still 2 months to go before we need it, so we should be ok. There are reports of people having to cancel holidays because of no shows, but it makes you wonder how late they left it.

It’s worse for Poles though if that’s any consolation for anyone waiting. We’ve got friends who’ve given up on a summer holiday as apparently it’s pretty much impossible to even get an appointment at the Polish embassy in London - they’re being snapped up in blocks and then sold on the black market.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Passports. on 19:01 - May 31 with 702 viewsjontysnut

Passports. on 15:30 - May 31 by Lord_Lucan

Ditto the other week. There was a tolerable queue at both ends but no preference for EU. A fellow traveller who voted for Brexit then got an Irish passport was livid.
Passports. on 19:42 - May 31 with 659 viewsLord_Lucan

Passports. on 19:01 - May 31 by jontysnut

Ditto the other week. There was a tolerable queue at both ends but no preference for EU. A fellow traveller who voted for Brexit then got an Irish passport was livid.

I travelled Eurostar a few years back from Amsterdam but that was when it didn’t go all the way and I think we had to get a train to Brussels and go through passport control there and it was a right kerfuffle.

This time was my sort of first proper journey. I had no idea what the passport thing would involve etc etc.

I got to St Pancras and joined a queue only to be told that I was the next train and I had to wait. Then I got a few calls on the phone and lost track of everything, I then realised that the Dam train was queuing and it was so long I had to join it outside of the building.

I couldn’t see in a million years how I could get through the check in and passport etc it time but it went so quick it was unbelievable. Absolutely brilliant, a right doddle.

My only criticism is that the trains are a bit riff raffy, I had these stoopid birds on my table of four and they took the whole table up with some kind of home made tea in bottles plus a big punnet of grapes. I had little room to rest my Heinekens.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024