Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? 11:42 - Jun 1 with 3113 viewsSmithy

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 11:51 - Jun 1 with 2215 viewsRadlett_blue

Mick McCarthy wasn't an awful manager, but a good one and he should not be on this list.
Ducks.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 11:55 - Jun 1 with 2200 viewsSmithy

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 11:51 - Jun 1 by Radlett_blue

Mick McCarthy wasn't an awful manager, but a good one and he should not be on this list.
Ducks.

I agree to some extent, however he was disliked by many at the end of his tenure

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 11:56 - Jun 1 with 2183 viewsBlueBadger

Surely Mckenna's smarminess qualifies him for a named vote slot here?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 12:00 - Jun 1 with 2172 viewsRedX

Dislike is probably a strong word.

As a person, I think Cook is a real top guy. I've met him and he is very honest down to earth guy.

I've met Keane and have also seen a lot of his charity work here locally which goes unnoticed. He is a fantastic person outside the game.

Never met the other two but I think Lambert seemed a decent enough guy but maybe a bit odd at times. Aren't we all?. I suppose could you blame a man when getting so much abuse.

McCarthy did a great job but I never took to him.
We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 12:50 - Jun 1 with 2083 viewsPablo_Counago

For me, Keane was my least favourite of the bunch. It was his attitude that I think really ruined it.

Even openly admitting how close he was to being physically abusive with players

The real Pablo Couñago talks about it here if anyone fancies it: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/08/pablo-counago-roy-keane-coward-
We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 12:57 - Jun 1 with 2045 viewsNthsuffolkblue

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 12:50 - Jun 1 by Pablo_Counago

For me, Keane was my least favourite of the bunch. It was his attitude that I think really ruined it.

Even openly admitting how close he was to being physically abusive with players

The real Pablo Couñago talks about it here if anyone fancies it: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/08/pablo-counago-roy-keane-coward-

I disliked Keane before he joined us. Fantastic player but arrogant and nasty persona to go with it. Man Utd background from that time did not help either. I was prepared to give him a chance and thought he would be a good appointment after what he had done at Sunderland. However, everything that passed here with him at the helm only served to reinforce my initial impressions. There is good reason he has not got another manager role after leaving us.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 12:59 - Jun 1 with 2040 viewsFunge

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 12:00 - Jun 1 by RedX

As a person, I think Cook is a real top guy. I've met him and he is very honest down to earth guy.

I've met Keane and have also seen a lot of his charity work here locally which goes unnoticed. He is a fantastic person outside the game.

Never met the other two but I think Lambert seemed a decent enough guy but maybe a bit odd at times. Aren't we all?. I suppose could you blame a man when getting so much abuse.

I recall you having a soft spot for RK; understandable if you're in Eire.

I can't stand him - never the right fit for us, and the various condescending comments made about us since, as he plays to his Man U/ PL crowd, just reinforce that.

I disliked Lambert more.

Jewell and Cook both awful managers, but I wouldn't say either were dislikeable. MMs abrasion was incredibly tiresome by the end.... more tedious than dislikeable though.
We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 13:04 - Jun 1 with 2006 viewsIllinoisblue

Probably Lambert for his arrogance.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 13:08 - Jun 1 with 1990 viewspointofblue

Cook. Had the best opportunity out of all of them to turn us around, ripped up the squad, replaced them with quality players and failed miserably to get a tune out of them, whilst blaming anyone and everything but himself for the debacle.

Keane did similar but the different in funding was much smaller in the Championship.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 13:08 - Jun 1 with 1988 viewsSTYG

If anything best describes the mess that Evans made the club, it's this poll.

Paul Hurst came in, got rid of any player with Championship ability, bought an entire squad of players who had done well in the division below, looked tactically inept and was sacked after a couple of months by the most patient owner in the land and he's still more liked than the five others!!!

Keane was a lunatic that came in, wasted millions and tried to fight players. Jewell managed to get us to our worst run of form ever and nearly got us into November without a win.

McCarthy got results with the worst football imaginable and then turned on the supporters completely tainting the job he'd done, Lambert was an absolutely delusional disaster that took us down without a wimper and didn't get us close to coming back up, as we were frequently outplayed and passed off the pitch by the likes of Fleetwood and Accrington and Cook fell out with the whole squad, hired a load of mates who don't look any good, threw his toys out of the pram and could barely pick up points even with a squad fit for title challengers.

They are all more disliked than Hurst - a man you could argue was most responsible of all six managers for us being at our lowest ebb for 60 years, arguably ever.

Wow.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2022 13:26]
We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 13:25 - Jun 1 with 1937 viewsBlueBadger

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 13:08 - Jun 1 by pointofblue

Cook. Had the best opportunity out of all of them to turn us around, ripped up the squad, replaced them with quality players and failed miserably to get a tune out of them, whilst blaming anyone and everything but himself for the debacle.

Keane did similar but the different in funding was much smaller in the Championship.

At the time, Keane had a ludicrous budget for the Championship.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 13:26 - Jun 1 with 1928 viewsNthsuffolkblue

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 13:25 - Jun 1 by BlueBadger

At the time, Keane had a ludicrous budget for the Championship.

And overpaid for ex-Sunderland and Man Utd players.

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 13:30 - Jun 1 with 1912 viewsitfcjoe

Cook, probably with an element of recency bias in there!

Never really disliked Keane, even though both he and Cook were the 2 who wasted the biggest opportunities

Jewell by the end I couldn't stand, similar to Lambert in that regard

Hurst did so much damage in such a short time period

Mick shouldn't be on there let alone getting votes!

I think the disdain to lambert and Jewell was because they were given far too long by Evans, had they gone when they should have gone, like Hurst did then don't think I'd have as much disdain for them

I'd go

1 - Cook
2 - Jewell

3 - Hurst
4 - Lambert

5 - Keane

6 - Mick

Maybe I'm just anti-scouser

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 13:35 - Jun 1 with 1890 viewsNthsuffolkblue

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 13:30 - Jun 1 by itfcjoe

Cook, probably with an element of recency bias in there!

Never really disliked Keane, even though both he and Cook were the 2 who wasted the biggest opportunities

Jewell by the end I couldn't stand, similar to Lambert in that regard

Hurst did so much damage in such a short time period

Mick shouldn't be on there let alone getting votes!

I think the disdain to lambert and Jewell was because they were given far too long by Evans, had they gone when they should have gone, like Hurst did then don't think I'd have as much disdain for them

I'd go

1 - Cook
2 - Jewell

3 - Hurst
4 - Lambert

5 - Keane

6 - Mick

Maybe I'm just anti-scouser

Didn't realise we were listing them all.

Mine:

1 Keane

2 Hurst
3 Cook
4 Lambert
5 Jewell

6 McCarthy (who likewise I don't dislike at all).

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 13:41 - Jun 1 with 1883 viewsgosblue

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 11:51 - Jun 1 by Radlett_blue

Ducks.

McCarthy was a good manager for Ipswich for four years. Unfortunately, he was here for six years. In any business, if you alienate your customer base, you have to go. I’m not sure he deserves to be on the list but it will be interesting to see which way the voting goes. I don’t think anyone will get close to The Dark Lord.
We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 14:08 - Jun 1 with 1799 viewsStu_Magoo

Surely Keane has to win this for being bit of a berk and for scaring Marcus Evans out of assuming you could spend money on players and get promoted quickly? (which isn't assured but a few more quid may have done it in the years that came after)
[Post edited 1 Jun 2022 14:09]
We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 14:14 - Jun 1 with 1786 viewsRozz

Lambert probably top for me. I never took particularly to Paul Jewell, but I found Lambert utterly unlistenable for the vast majority of his time here. Repetitive, arrogant, clueless. He made following Town a complete bore, after some good work engaging the fanbase initially.

Hurst is getting off very lightly here, btw.
We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 15:27 - Jun 1 with 1711 viewsSitfcB

1. Lambert
2. Hurst
3. Cook
4. Jewell
5. Keane
6. McCarthy

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 15:28 - Jun 1 with 1708 viewsParky

1 - Lambert
2 - Keane
3 - Jewell
4 - Hurst
5 - Mick
6 - Cook
We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 15:28 - Jun 1 with 1705 viewsSitfcB

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 12:00 - Jun 1 by RedX

Lambert is a to$$er.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 19:01 - Jun 1 with 1545 viewsBlueBadger

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 14:14 - Jun 1 by Rozz

Lambert probably top for me. I never took particularly to Paul Jewell, but I found Lambert utterly unlistenable for the vast majority of his time here. Repetitive, arrogant, clueless. He made following Town a complete bore, after some good work engaging the fanbase initially.

Hurst is getting off very lightly here, btw.

I suspect that had Hurst stayed longer he;d definitely be up there with Keane and Lambert in the 'disliked' stakes.

Lambert is, for me, comfortably the most disliked - the cynical initial deployment of lazy platitudes to the fanbase(which a depressing number swallowed whole), the utter lack of interest in coaching, organising and motivating his players, the limp relegation, the 'I've played for big clubs, me' arrogant, the utterly lack of willingness to engage with reality,....
[Post edited 1 Jun 2022 23:56]

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 19:14 - Jun 1 with 1524 viewsSwansea_Blue

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 11:55 - Jun 1 by Smithy

I agree to some extent, however he was disliked by many at the end of his tenure

Inevitable given the boredom and drawn out nature of his end. If anything Evans bears the blame for that for letting things rumble on.

I was critical of Mick’s approach. It’s a results game ultimately and he was very good at getting results from a very average side. But you have to bring the fans with you. Fans can overlook sh*t football if you have success (e.g. Pulis consolidating Stoke in the PL). But they won’t put up with boring football and mid-Championship finishes when the owner’s publicised aim was promotion. Evans should have put everyone out of their misery at least 12 months earlier.

Harsh to have Mick on that list though, despite all that. Although he did then go and bore Cardiff witless too, so maybe his time and style have passed.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2022 19:29]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 19:25 - Jun 1 with 1512 viewsChurchman

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 11:55 - Jun 1 by Smithy

I never was comfortable with McCarthy’s approach to the game. I grew to detest him with his negative, depressing, Stone Age football and was relieved when he left. Decent football and good results don’t have to be an either/or.

However, I didn’t like the cowardly abuse he got and he was a country mile better manager than the rest of the mugs on the list, in my view. He shouldn’t be on it.

Of the dross, Keane got my vote. I liked his press conferences and there it ended. He not only had no idea how to put together or motivate a football team, but he was wasteful, destructive and set us back years. Awful.

Honourable mention to Lambert who ran him close. Absolute fraud of a manager. So

Keane
Lambert
Cook
Hurst
Jewell

McCarthy
[Post edited 1 Jun 2022 21:55]
We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 19:35 - Jun 1 with 1483 viewswkj

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 19:25 - Jun 1 by Churchman

I never was comfortable with McCarthy’s approach to the game. I grew to detest him with his negative, depressing, Stone Age football and was relieved when he left. Decent football and good results don’t have to be an either/or.

However, I didn’t like the cowardly abuse he got and he was a country mile better manager than the rest of the mugs on the list, in my view. He shouldn’t be on it.

Of the dross, Keane got my vote. I liked his press conferences and there it ended. He not only had no idea how to put together or motivate a football team, but he was wasteful, destructive and set us back years. Awful.

Honourable mention to Lambert who ran him close. Absolute fraud of a manager. So

Keane
Lambert
Cook
Hurst
Jewell

McCarthy
[Post edited 1 Jun 2022 21:55]

Im not a Mick Hater, but I was very much done with supporting him after the Lincoln FA Cup away tie. Mick did a pretty good job given the fact he had limited financial support from M.E., and did manage to get in a few gems - but I never did like the them and us mentality he's had in most of his management roles, that is to say, he gets on very well with players and staff but seems to put a wall up between supporter and club.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2022 19:37]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most? on 19:54 - Jun 1 with 1454 viewsmarchy

6. Cook - I never really warmed to him, found his self-contradicting waffle irritating and felt he had far too little tactical nous to expect to escape the "negative questions" he thought himself above, but I've heard plenty of talk from others of him being a nice guy and his overzealous "Demolition Man" act did ultimately set us on course for the more promising state we find ourselves in now, so there's some forgiveness due for that.

5. Lambert - we were already in a flat spin by the time he took over, and I'm not sure he actually made us any worse, it was just painfully obvious that he was never going to make us any better; loses points for his apparent inability to string a coherent sentence together and progressive loss of grip on reality as time wore on.

4. McCarthy - there always seemed to me an air about the man that he thought we were privileged to have him, from the early days with all the annoying public flirting about the Ireland job to the later willingness to play lightning-rod for Evans and make us feel as though we were unreasonable to ever hope for better than we were getting; that said, he was the best manager of the six by a country mile.

3. Jewell - completely clueless and way past his prime but (aside from that strange instance of calling a committed youth player a "boring b*stard", generally seemed a decent chap and his failing was ultimately a complete inability to put out a destructive fire someone else started.

2. Keane - whilst it's now starting to look like he's finally grown a sense of humour, a professional arsehole whose rampage through a squad that needed restoration rather than demolition kicked off all these years of misery.

1. Hurst - just an obnoxious, clueless, unapologetic little b*llend who should never have been allowed free rein to pack a Championship squad full of players who had barely played at that level or to let his equally-vile assistant behave the way he did; committed even worse damage than Keane but propelled us further downwards from a lesser starting point.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024