Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew 14:18 - Jun 1 with 1663 viewsblueasfook

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/may/31/archbishop-of-canterbury-suggest

He has even refused to acknowledge meeting Virginal Giuffre.
Maybe he could start by coming clean about the whole thing instead of pretending he was having a pizza

TWTD Veteran
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 14:23 - Jun 1 with 1626 viewsXYZ

"Virginal Giuffre"?

Top timing from the Oilman. Is he a secret republican?

Is the nonce getting a public outing this weekend?
Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 14:24 - Jun 1 with 1624 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Not entirely accurate, Here is what Welby actually says:

He stressed that he could not tell people how to respond, saying the “issues of the past in the area of abuse are so intensely personal and private for so many” and “it’s not surprising there’s very deep feelings indeed”.

Asked how the public should respond to Andrew after his appearance at the Duke of Edinburgh’s memorial service in March, Welby, 66, said: “At a big public occasion the Queen is fully entitled to have one of her children supporting her. Secondly, forgiveness really does matter. I think we have become a very, very unforgiving society. There’s a difference between consequences and forgiveness.

In no way is forgiveness meaning that there should be no consequences.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 14:28 - Jun 1 with 1600 viewsPendejo

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 14:24 - Jun 1 by Nthsuffolkblue

He stressed that he could not tell people how to respond, saying the “issues of the past in the area of abuse are so intensely personal and private for so many” and “it’s not surprising there’s very deep feelings indeed”.

Asked how the public should respond to Andrew after his appearance at the Duke of Edinburgh’s memorial service in March, Welby, 66, said: “At a big public occasion the Queen is fully entitled to have one of her children supporting her. Secondly, forgiveness really does matter. I think we have become a very, very unforgiving society. There’s a difference between consequences and forgiveness.

Forgiveness for what?

Didn't he insist he is not guilty, wasn't there, never met her and gave her £12m out of the kindness of his pure heart?

Ah yes the forgiveness is for giving a load of cash to an American woman... Didn't someone else do that...?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 14:34 - Jun 1 with 1580 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 14:28 - Jun 1 by Pendejo

Forgiveness for what?

Didn't he insist he is not guilty, wasn't there, never met her and gave her £12m out of the kindness of his pure heart?

Ah yes the forgiveness is for giving a load of cash to an American woman... Didn't someone else do that...?

Isn't the forgiveness quote a general quote about our attitude as a society? He states the Queen should be allowed to have her son with her at the function and we, as a society, are becoming very judgmental and unforgiving.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding and Welby is somehow saying that Prince Andrew is guilty of some crime he has not been convicted of and we should therefore forgive him for it. However, that isn't how I read his comments.

I get the distrust of Prince Andrew, but I don't see this as Welby saying he should be forgiven for any specific crime.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 16:32 - Jun 1 with 1415 viewsBlueBadger

I understand that the Pope is FURIOUS about this.

On the grounds that letting nonces off is a strictly Catholic thing...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 17:15 - Jun 1 with 1373 viewsZx1988

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 14:24 - Jun 1 by Nthsuffolkblue

He also said, in the same interview:

With Prince Andrew, I think we all have to step back a bit. He's seeking to make amends.

In the broader context of the interview, it doesn't send a particularly good message. Doubly so when a big chunk of the Christian message of forgiveness centres around repentance. Nothing in the actions to date of the (alleged) Sweaty Nonce suggest any degree of contrition, repentance, or desire to make amends.

Then there's also the fact that he's very keen to be telling us to forgive Prince Andrew, yet far less keen to discuss the impact of Government policy upon the poorest and most vulnerable in society.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2022 17:19]

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 17:29 - Jun 1 with 1349 viewsZXBlue

Seems to me that it is for a victim to forgive. No one else is really entitled.
Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 17:30 - Jun 1 with 1346 viewsRyorry

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 14:23 - Jun 1 by XYZ

"Virginal Giuffre"?

Top timing from the Oilman. Is he a secret republican?

Is the nonce getting a public outing this weekend?

I think it'd be a rare very bad misjudgement by the Queen if he were to appear as part of the weekend's jollys.

It's one thing to attend his father's funeral; completely different kettle of fish to go out to what's supposed to be a public celebration of Her Maj's 70 yrs on the throne. Most of the public have made up their minds that he is guilty, on the basis of some very strong evidence (in the BBC docu series on Maxwell); and why risk bringing down a whole heap of opprobrium on herself when it's supposed to be a happy occasion? Could well wreck the party for her.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 17:33 - Jun 1 with 1333 viewsZx1988

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 17:30 - Jun 1 by Ryorry

I think it'd be a rare very bad misjudgement by the Queen if he were to appear as part of the weekend's jollys.

It's one thing to attend his father's funeral; completely different kettle of fish to go out to what's supposed to be a public celebration of Her Maj's 70 yrs on the throne. Most of the public have made up their minds that he is guilty, on the basis of some very strong evidence (in the BBC docu series on Maxwell); and why risk bringing down a whole heap of opprobrium on herself when it's supposed to be a happy occasion? Could well wreck the party for her.

I note that the balcony has been restricted to 'working' Royals, which would prevent Andrew and the Sussexes from attending.

I wouldn't be at all surprised, however, if he tries to engineer some sort of lower key involvement, whatever form that may take.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 17:46 - Jun 1 with 1260 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 17:33 - Jun 1 by Zx1988

I note that the balcony has been restricted to 'working' Royals, which would prevent Andrew and the Sussexes from attending.

I wouldn't be at all surprised, however, if he tries to engineer some sort of lower key involvement, whatever form that may take.

Presumably Edward's got "It's a Jubilee Knockout" all sewn up - maybe Andrew could step into the Stuart Hall role.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 17:55 - Jun 1 with 1253 viewsfactual_blue

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 14:34 - Jun 1 by Nthsuffolkblue

Isn't the forgiveness quote a general quote about our attitude as a society? He states the Queen should be allowed to have her son with her at the function and we, as a society, are becoming very judgmental and unforgiving.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding and Welby is somehow saying that Prince Andrew is guilty of some crime he has not been convicted of and we should therefore forgive him for it. However, that isn't how I read his comments.

I get the distrust of Prince Andrew, but I don't see this as Welby saying he should be forgiven for any specific crime.

Precisely.

And what would you expect a modern-day Christian leader to say?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 18:43 - Jun 1 with 1203 viewsDanTheMan

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 14:28 - Jun 1 by Pendejo

Forgiveness for what?

Whilst it may sound stupid, I'd argue that at it's very core Christianity is all about Forgiveness. Forgiveness is a major tenet.

It's not at all surprising to me he would be preaching forgiveness given who he is.

[Post edited 1 Jun 2022 18:44]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 19:06 - Jun 1 with 1167 viewsSwansea_Blue

That’s a fair point at the end. But where do we stand when there are no consequences because mummy paid off the victim?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 19:09 - Jun 1 with 1158 viewschicoazul

We do need as a society, to come up with some way of rehabilitating forgiving and rehabilitating people.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 22:29 - Jun 1 with 1049 viewsRyorry

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 19:09 - Jun 1 by chicoazul

We do need as a society, to come up with some way of rehabilitating forgiving and rehabilitating people.

I'd normally agree, but it's a bit hard to do when the person concerned here hasn't admitted any responsibility, nor shown much (if any) sympathy for the victims.

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 00:30 - Jun 2 with 1010 viewsKropotkin123

“At a big public occasion the Queen is fully entitled to have one of her children supporting her."

Excellent point. I think we should let all sex offenders and traffickers free so the can meet their mum's entitlement to support.

*Note, I know these aren't your views, but not sure where is better to put this.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 01:52 - Jun 2 with 982 viewsStevieH

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 18:43 - Jun 1 by DanTheMan

Whilst it may sound stupid, I'd argue that at it's very core Christianity is all about Forgiveness. Forgiveness is a major tenet.

It's not at all surprising to me he would be preaching forgiveness given who he is.

[Post edited 1 Jun 2022 18:44]

https://internationalforgiveness.com/2018/06/24/become-my-son-a-south-african-mo
Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 06:21 - Jun 2 with 940 viewsRyorry

He seems to have forgotten that she has 3 other children she could have called on.

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 08:14 - Jun 2 with 890 viewsXYZ

Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 19:09 - Jun 1 by chicoazul

Chico leading the calls to free Rolf Harris, Rose West et al.

Who knew, eh?

Oh, just the Royals, then?
Archbishop of Canterbury wants us to forgive Prince Andrew on 08:17 - Jun 2 with 887 viewsBobsthename

Sorry for the downer it should be an uppy vote.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024