Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why would you give up a manager's position to become an... 18:26 - Jun 2 with 1788 viewspointofblue

assistant again? Especially as Critchley has done well at Blackpool.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61677096

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Why would you give up a manager's position to become an... on 18:29 - Jun 2 with 1746 viewsJ2BLUE

Probably realises he has a ceiling and if he proves himself to Gerrard he could end up #2 at Liverpool.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Why would you give up a manager's position to become an... on 18:33 - Jun 2 with 1720 viewsRozz

I imagine not having to live in Blackpool is a big plus.

In all seriousness, it's a Premier League outfit, working with Gerrard, none of the press duties & management pressures. If the money's comparable, I can see the appeal.
Why would you give up a manager's position to become an... on 18:33 - Jun 2 with 1723 viewsmutters

Maybe he doesn't like being the manager of a football club and wants a role that is less all encompassing? Sometimes you take a role thinking its what you want and then you realise it actually isn't.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Why would you give up a manager's position to become an... on 18:41 - Jun 2 with 1662 viewsGuthrum

Gets to work under someone he has a good relationship with, in a Prem outfit?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Why would you give up a manager's position to become an... on 18:49 - Jun 2 with 1637 viewsKieran_Knows

…. Because I suspect he’s being paid a hell of a lot more money to be assistant at Villa, than he is being manager at Blackpool.

If Gerrard gets sacked, he’ll go with him with a nice pay off in his back pocket as well, and his stock is still relatively high so he’d walk in to a League 1 club at the very least.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Why would you give up a manager's position to become an... on 18:51 - Jun 2 with 1620 viewsChurchman

Why would you give up a manager's position to become an... on 18:33 - Jun 2 by mutters

Maybe he doesn't like being the manager of a football club and wants a role that is less all encompassing? Sometimes you take a role thinking its what you want and then you realise it actually isn't.

It’s an interesting question. My immediate reaction was I wouldn’t, but your view is very valid. Maybe it’s closer to home/domestic reasons. Who knows. I think a decision like that is a very personal one and at least he’s made it rather than being kicked out and scraping around for a job.
Why would you give up a manager's position to become an... on 01:17 - Jun 3 with 1047 viewsclive_baker

Apparently he’s an incredible manager, the Blackpool players love working for him. Was really, really highly thought of in the academy at Liverpool and generally regarded as one of the best up and coming managers in the country, if not Europe. Worked his way up at Liverpool and really well qualified on paper too. Blackpool had Dujon Sterling on loan from Chelsea this season, I know someone who knows him well and he reckons he said Critchley is the best manager he’s ever come across, by a mile. On the training ground and what not, and he worked with Conte.

Certainly has taken to senior management well at Blackpool too, they’ve done great under him but perhaps he thinks with their budget it’s going to be tough to get them challenging at the top. As others have said I dare say he’ll double his salary at Villa but who knows what his motivations are.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2022 1:23]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Why would you give up a manager's position to become an... on 09:16 - Jun 3 with 724 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I guess it's a very personal decision.

He's proven to be a good manager, but he may have found that he doesn't enjoy the responsibility as much as he thought.

He might enjoy coaching more and want to focus on that, spending more 'time on the grass'.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Why would you give up a manager's position to become an... on 09:53 - Jun 3 with 640 viewsChrisd

Working at a club with better facilities, players and infrastructure was too tempting? Although he was manager at Blackpool and did a very good job, he could be on a better salary at Aston Villa. Perhaps also being the manager hasn't sat comfortably with him? I'm sure there are plenty of reasons and unless you are Critchley, none of us really know the reason or thinking behind his decision.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Why would you give up a manager's position to become an... on 09:59 - Jun 3 with 616 viewsParisBlue

Michael Beale was very influential at Villa, Critchley will be the same. He's a coach first of all and Blackpool may have hit their glass ceiling. Could be an astute move.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024