Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU 09:12 - Jun 3 with 4336 viewsnodge_blue

Would we have to wait multiple years for our application to be considered?

Im unclear why this process seems to be so long, or whether previous membership would cut out not of that. I still hope that one day we will rejoin, but I hadn't quite appreciated that the process seems to run into decades.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 09:17 - Jun 3 with 2149 viewsGuthrum

Very likely, bureaucracy moves slowly and we were troublemakers before. Tho there would not be all the "proving we meet the standards" process - unless the Government passes tons of "not the EU" type legislation (e.g. reintroducing groats, bushels, the death penalty, etc.).

The biggest issue would be having none of our former opt-outs and a likely insistence on joining the Euro (not a good thing, IMO).
[Post edited 3 Jun 2022 9:36]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 09:17 - Jun 3 with 2144 viewsclive_baker

As much as I would like that, the thought of years more debate and division, referendums, and bloody Brexit dominating the media makes me feel physically sick.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 09:26 - Jun 3 with 2111 viewsmutters

As much as I detested the idea of leaving, now we are out we should try and make the best of it and see what the future brings. You can argue both sides of the conversation however until a decent amount of time has passed we just don't know what the future brings. It could turn out to be a good thing, especially if the EU implodes.

Going back now would be an admittance that we made a mistake and the terms would be incredibly less favourable. The best option imo is that the UK does stonkingly well outside and we are then asked to rejoin rather than us go cap in hand.

Of course this could have been avoided if we had not actually left but that's democracy for you....
[Post edited 3 Jun 2022 9:27]

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

[Redacted] on 09:29 - Jun 3 with 2094 viewsvictorywilhappen

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 09:17 - Jun 3 by Guthrum

Very likely, bureaucracy moves slowly and we were troublemakers before. Tho there would not be all the "proving we meet the standards" process - unless the Government passes tons of "not the EU" type legislation (e.g. reintroducing groats, bushels, the death penalty, etc.).

The biggest issue would be having none of our former opt-outs and a likely insistence on joining the Euro (not a good thing, IMO).

[Redacted]
If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 09:46 - Jun 3 with 2031 viewsTangledupin_Blue

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 09:26 - Jun 3 by mutters

As much as I detested the idea of leaving, now we are out we should try and make the best of it and see what the future brings. You can argue both sides of the conversation however until a decent amount of time has passed we just don't know what the future brings. It could turn out to be a good thing, especially if the EU implodes.

Going back now would be an admittance that we made a mistake and the terms would be incredibly less favourable. The best option imo is that the UK does stonkingly well outside and we are then asked to rejoin rather than us go cap in hand.

Of course this could have been avoided if we had not actually left but that's democracy for you....
[Post edited 3 Jun 2022 9:27]

It is not democracy. Democracy requires truth and can't be based on lies.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 10:05 - Jun 3 with 1989 viewsElephantintheRoom

As the Northern Ireland border issue cannot be solved outside the single market I’d say the obvious solution is to simply join the single market. I’m sure by having a ‘Norway stylé deal will satisfy most blinkered Brexiteers, if not the deranged zealots and would keep most remainders happy

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 10:11 - Jun 3 with 1973 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 09:17 - Jun 3 by clive_baker

As much as I would like that, the thought of years more debate and division, referendums, and bloody Brexit dominating the media makes me feel physically sick.

Brentrance, surely?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 10:27 - Jun 3 with 1930 viewsmutters

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 09:46 - Jun 3 by Tangledupin_Blue

Sadly all votes, not just the Brexit one, are built around lies and deceit. Look at every party's pre elections manifestos they never implement what they say they are going to.

I do agree with what you are saying, Brexit was one of the worst for bu11sh1t and lies.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Login to get fewer ads

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 10:29 - Jun 3 with 1918 viewswkj

First thing I would do if we rejoin the EU is make my bananas bendier in protest, put landmines around my crown pint glass and force Brussels to adopt the shilling.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 10:34 - Jun 3 with 1886 viewsBlueBadger

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 10:11 - Jun 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

Brentrance, surely?

Breturn?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 10:41 - Jun 3 with 1856 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 10:34 - Jun 3 by BlueBadger

Breturn?

Bre'resorry?
Brefeckedup?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 11:27 - Jun 3 with 1792 viewsGuthrum

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 10:05 - Jun 3 by ElephantintheRoom

As the Northern Ireland border issue cannot be solved outside the single market I’d say the obvious solution is to simply join the single market. I’m sure by having a ‘Norway stylé deal will satisfy most blinkered Brexiteers, if not the deranged zealots and would keep most remainders happy

We'd need a government willing to consider that, first.

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 11:35 - Jun 3 with 1771 viewsbournemouthblue

It would be interesting to see whether they would allow us the previous deal which was actually really good with no Euro, no Schengen etc

We should have added a clause that we could rejoin under those arrangements really, not that rejoining would have been on this governments agenda

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 11:39 - Jun 3 with 1754 viewsGuthrum

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 11:35 - Jun 3 by bournemouthblue

It would be interesting to see whether they would allow us the previous deal which was actually really good with no Euro, no Schengen etc

We should have added a clause that we could rejoin under those arrangements really, not that rejoining would have been on this governments agenda

Not a hope. It took decades of negotiation to set all that up, plus being in during the evolution of the organisation from EEC to EU.

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 11:40 - Jun 3 with 1747 viewsRyorry

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 10:34 - Jun 3 by BlueBadger

Breturn?

U B Rentrance

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 11:43 - Jun 3 with 1728 viewsRyorry

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 11:35 - Jun 3 by bournemouthblue

Why would any 27-member family agree to allow its black sheep former family member who not only pissed on it while inside the tent, but then also pissed on it from outside after leaving, back in on the same favourable terms as it had before?

Null chance.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 12:41 - Jun 3 with 1655 viewsMattinLondon

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 11:43 - Jun 3 by Ryorry

Why would any 27-member family agree to allow its black sheep former family member who not only pissed on it while inside the tent, but then also pissed on it from outside after leaving, back in on the same favourable terms as it had before?

Null chance.

One of the few political things that I’ve ever been right about was that I thought that ‘leave’ would win but that the country would rejoin around 25 years later. I still think that this will happen and I think that the EU would want this to happen. Maybe under some special conditions that we'll join the Euro and will have to commit to the EU for at least 50 years.

If ‘leave’ wanted never to rejoin then all they had to do was to stay in the single market and keep freedom of movement. Think this would have kept most people happy.
If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 12:47 - Jun 3 with 1644 viewsmutters

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 12:41 - Jun 3 by MattinLondon

One of the few political things that I’ve ever been right about was that I thought that ‘leave’ would win but that the country would rejoin around 25 years later. I still think that this will happen and I think that the EU would want this to happen. Maybe under some special conditions that we'll join the Euro and will have to commit to the EU for at least 50 years.

If ‘leave’ wanted never to rejoin then all they had to do was to stay in the single market and keep freedom of movement. Think this would have kept most people happy.

I disagree that this would have kept people happy. One of the key issues was the freedom of movement between member states, the narrative of people coming over here and taking our jobs/houses/welfare etc was pushed massively as a reason to leave. Border control was out of control apparently and Brexit allowed the UK to take control again.

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 12:55 - Jun 3 with 1626 viewsMattinLondon

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 12:47 - Jun 3 by mutters

I disagree that this would have kept people happy. One of the key issues was the freedom of movement between member states, the narrative of people coming over here and taking our jobs/houses/welfare etc was pushed massively as a reason to leave. Border control was out of control apparently and Brexit allowed the UK to take control again.

I still think that if the politicians wanted to reflect the mood of the country then they would have acknowledged that the country was almost spilt in half. Ok, the vote was to leave but it wasn’t hugely conclusive.Based on this, I think, that most people would have accepted leaving but keeping in the single market and freedom of movement.

The entire winner-takes-all mentality has done significant damage to the country and has brought in more diversion and hostility.
If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 13:05 - Jun 3 with 1598 viewsSwansea_Blue

We wouldn’t need to rejoin to fix much of the mess we’re in; it just needs a grown up government to realise we need to rejoin the customs Union and single market. That would make us worse off than before for a likely similar cost, but the benefits would FAR outweigh the price and would put us in a far better position than now.

I’m not sure the country’s ready for that yet though - too many are still in denial.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 13:09 - Jun 3 with 1582 viewsDarth_Koont

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 09:17 - Jun 3 by clive_baker

Indeed. The politics of Brexit have been a low-water mark. And this isn’t just about Leavers’ lies, Remain are certainly not blameless here either – and both sides of the debate still seem radicalised by it.

Nothing is more likely to keep us in the politics of the stupid and the pointless than to re-enact that battle. It’ll probably be a decade or more before it might become an even vaguely sensible or valuable debate.

Pronouns: He/Him

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 13:11 - Jun 3 with 1579 viewsmutters

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 12:55 - Jun 3 by MattinLondon

I still think that if the politicians wanted to reflect the mood of the country then they would have acknowledged that the country was almost spilt in half. Ok, the vote was to leave but it wasn’t hugely conclusive.Based on this, I think, that most people would have accepted leaving but keeping in the single market and freedom of movement.

The entire winner-takes-all mentality has done significant damage to the country and has brought in more diversion and hostility.

I've said on many occasions there is no grey any more in politics, you are either on one side or the other. I got accused of having powder puff political views a while ago as I dared to have a centralist opinion on a matter. It makes political debate very tricky as people are so entrenched that they can't even contemplate any other opinion. Brexit has been a key driver of this due to having to take one side or the other.

As somebody who has lived in a number of the EU states and travelled extensively across the region I wish we had kept freedom of movement. My little one won't have the opportunities that I had, which is a real shame. It's an absolute disgrace that it has been taken away from them.

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 13:13 - Jun 3 with 1574 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 09:46 - Jun 3 by Tangledupin_Blue

Nice idea but show me that democracy!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 13:32 - Jun 3 with 1531 viewsMattinLondon

If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 13:11 - Jun 3 by mutters

I've said on many occasions there is no grey any more in politics, you are either on one side or the other. I got accused of having powder puff political views a while ago as I dared to have a centralist opinion on a matter. It makes political debate very tricky as people are so entrenched that they can't even contemplate any other opinion. Brexit has been a key driver of this due to having to take one side or the other.

As somebody who has lived in a number of the EU states and travelled extensively across the region I wish we had kept freedom of movement. My little one won't have the opportunities that I had, which is a real shame. It's an absolute disgrace that it has been taken away from them.

In terms of your last couple of sentences - I think this will be one of the reasons why we will rejoin. The young will demand the same opportunities and a lot of the ardent elderly Brexiters will be dead.

Saying that it all depends on what type of world we will live in in twenty odd years time. I actually yearn to go back to more centre/grey politics. A lot of the more left and right politicians we’ve had in the last few years have been disappointing and have brought in more distrust…Apart from the Royal Family that is - they should all be abolished.
If Britain were to vote to rejoin the EU on 13:48 - Jun 3 with 1489 viewsHARRY10

I think it was inevitable from before the referendim. And I would further suggest that for many of the 'not too bright' it has needed their idiocy tested.

So much that was bleated 'project fear...baa baa' has already, very quickly, proven correct. And far from it being a short sharp jolt that would allow the UK to move forward, it is more of a slow lingering cancer, whereby business and jobs are slipping into Europe and the UK is facing some harsh truths about trade - now it is isolated.

Far from there being 40 new deals on day one either, there has been almost nothing. Japan, worse than what we previously had, much as with Aus/NZ where the effect on UK farmers will be devastating. And even those two are yet to be ratified.

It is as if the UK has decided to dispense with an insurance broker/comparison sites, and phone every insurance company individually, only as an owner of one car, not a fleet of 28.

So despite all the nonsense from Brexiteers the UK is STILL trading under EU schedules and probably will for a decade or so. Only changing when the EU says change. A rule taker, from being a rule maker.

The Labour shortages will continue as there is no longer a ready supply of workers to take up the slack, should the economy grow. You cannot add 4 million extra customs forms per week, and lord knows what other bureaucracy and it not have an effect. Was this foreseen. Yes. But the numpties believed that 'they need us more than we need them' so the UK would not become, not be treated as a 3rd country. As predicted, it now is.

Has the process of reintegration begin ? Yes, as the UK rows back on work visas, and the implementation of import checks. It will be a continuous process of breaking down barriers and opening the way to free trade once more.

How far, and how quick we will have to wait to see. But the nightmare of the UK becoming some European N Korea, closed off from the outside world was never going to happen, long term.

Denmark has just joined the EU defence system. Finland and Norway are joining Nato, Ukraine wants to join the EU as do others -it will be economic need that drive this 'coming in from the cold', rather than any isolationist delusion

Speed the day.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024