Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well done all of us. 09:12 - Jun 4 with 1158 viewsNthQldITFC

https://www.noaa.gov/news-release/carbon-dioxide-now-more-than-50-higher-than-pr

This is what we've managed to achieve in our selfless battle against the destruction of our only possible home, the extinction of our fellow life forms and any hope of a future for our descendents.

It's a good job we've all of us been clearly informed of the consequences of our CO2 emissions for at least twenty years (more for some obviously) otherwise we'd never have been able to make such an impressive change in the trajectory of our doom.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Well done all of us. on 09:39 - Jun 4 with 1065 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Shrink the y axis, extend the x one and all will be fine.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Well done all of us. on 09:40 - Jun 4 with 1065 viewseireblue

Oh well, maybe if next lot also evolve to use technology they will do better.
Well done all of us. on 11:28 - Jun 4 with 973 viewsNthQldITFC

Well done all of us. on 09:39 - Jun 4 by BanksterDebtSlave

Shrink the y axis, extend the x one and all will be fine.

I realise you jest, but actually if the Y axis was shown from 0, it would perhaps give an even stronger message about our impact in only sixty fkn years! Less dramatic at first glance perhaps, but with a 30% ish increase in atmospheric CO2 in a shortish lifetime.

Well done all of us. on 12:10 - Jun 4 with 926 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Don’t worry I’m sure Prince ‘12 homes’ Charles will be along this weekend to tell us to cut our carbon footprints.
Well done all of us. on 13:24 - Jun 4 with 875 viewsRyorry

It's tragic, but if homo "sapiens" (was there ever so much a misnomer as that?) became extinct, planet Earth would at least then probably be able to recover & survive.

That's actually the most important thing to me & I find it quite comforting, seeing as it's such a unique (as far as we know) & beautiful place - and that we all have to die in the end anyway.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Well done all of us. on 13:54 - Jun 4 with 843 viewsNthQldITFC

Well done all of us. on 13:24 - Jun 4 by Ryorry

It's tragic, but if homo "sapiens" (was there ever so much a misnomer as that?) became extinct, planet Earth would at least then probably be able to recover & survive.

That's actually the most important thing to me & I find it quite comforting, seeing as it's such a unique (as far as we know) & beautiful place - and that we all have to die in the end anyway.

That's very much how I feel too Ryorry. Obviously we are far more robust (when you include our technology) than other 'advanced' (lol) forms of life, so unless there's a very specific reason for us to become extinct, it's unlikely to happen without everything else 'big' kicking it too.

I guess it's because I don't have offspring myself, but I do feel that as a species we maybe don't really deserve to be here any more, given our utterly selfish and irresponsible ongoing behaviour. If humans could somehow hand over to the bees or the dolphins and move on, we'd be doing the Earth a hell of a favour.

Well done all of us. on 17:35 - Jun 4 with 759 viewsRyorry

Well done all of us. on 13:54 - Jun 4 by NthQldITFC

That's very much how I feel too Ryorry. Obviously we are far more robust (when you include our technology) than other 'advanced' (lol) forms of life, so unless there's a very specific reason for us to become extinct, it's unlikely to happen without everything else 'big' kicking it too.

I guess it's because I don't have offspring myself, but I do feel that as a species we maybe don't really deserve to be here any more, given our utterly selfish and irresponsible ongoing behaviour. If humans could somehow hand over to the bees or the dolphins and move on, we'd be doing the Earth a hell of a favour.

Bees, dolphins & ants jointly? Fungi to organise the plant world.

Other species have learned how to co-operate & benefit mutually and equally, even if we haven't. I think it was Commander Hadfield (ISS) who said that from space, earth has no borders. A big part of our undoing imho is that humans have created national boundaries & seem unable to fully co-operate across those, including, eg, international strategies on eliminating use of fossil fuels to meet energy needs/protect the environment, and also an effective international programme to vaccinate the world against Covid 19.

Well done all of us. on 17:42 - Jun 4 with 749 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Well done all of us. on 11:28 - Jun 4 by NthQldITFC

I realise you jest, but actually if the Y axis was shown from 0, it would perhaps give an even stronger message about our impact in only sixty fkn years! Less dramatic at first glance perhaps, but with a 30% ish increase in atmospheric CO2 in a shortish lifetime.

Well done on spotting the jest, it is a skill others could learn.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Login to get fewer ads

Well done all of us. on 19:09 - Jun 4 with 687 viewsCoachRob

This chap says climate change is not really a problem. I found myself laughing all the way through this talk as it is full of the same nonsense economists have been pedalling for years.

I believe you have used the pronoun "us" quite deliberately as you could argue our fate was sealed when we discovered combustion and uses for exosomatic energy.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bfNamRmje-s&t=224s
Well done all of us. on 19:30 - Jun 4 with 668 viewsNthQldITFC

Well done all of us. on 19:09 - Jun 4 by CoachRob

This chap says climate change is not really a problem. I found myself laughing all the way through this talk as it is full of the same nonsense economists have been pedalling for years.

I believe you have used the pronoun "us" quite deliberately as you could argue our fate was sealed when we discovered combustion and uses for exosomatic energy.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bfNamRmje-s&t=224s

The use of 'all of us' was more along the lines of taking group responsibility for the past and for the future really.

If we want to live, we have to get everybody pulling in the right direction no matter how 'bad' they've been in the past, and that includes making sure that all adults, and older children too, take their responsibility to look the projected future in the face, no matter how scary and depressing it is. That's the only way we have any sort of chance.

Well done all of us. on 21:27 - Jun 4 with 602 viewsStokieBlue

Well done all of us. on 17:35 - Jun 4 by Ryorry

Bees, dolphins & ants jointly? Fungi to organise the plant world.

Other species have learned how to co-operate & benefit mutually and equally, even if we haven't. I think it was Commander Hadfield (ISS) who said that from space, earth has no borders. A big part of our undoing imho is that humans have created national boundaries & seem unable to fully co-operate across those, including, eg, international strategies on eliminating use of fossil fuels to meet energy needs/protect the environment, and also an effective international programme to vaccinate the world against Covid 19.

Whilst the main point of this thread is entirely accurate, homo sapiens as a species are destroying the current equilibrium on the planet (not specifically the same as destroying the planet but has the same effect on the animals evolved for the current climate) there are quite a few falsehoods about other animals being lovely and humans being the only "bad apples" out there.

"Bees, dolphins & ants jointly? Fungi to organise the plant world.

Other species have learned how to co-operate & benefit mutually and equally, even if we haven't. "

Bees engage in vicious and almost completely pointless wars, pretty much the same as humans:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/141110-bees-warfare-hives-aus

Ants engage in massive wars we are very similar to human wars:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/when-it-comes-waging-war-ants-huma

Dolphins really aren't always the good guys some people think:

https://slate.com/human-interest/2009/05/the-dark-secrets-that-dolphins-don-t-wa

None of this really matters, humans are the species that have the knowledge and means to effect all other species and that is why we should be rising above these things but unfortunately seem unable to.

As a general aside, painting other species as lovely isn't really true either.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Well done all of us. on 21:46 - Jun 4 with 566 viewsNthQldITFC

Well done all of us. on 21:27 - Jun 4 by StokieBlue

Whilst the main point of this thread is entirely accurate, homo sapiens as a species are destroying the current equilibrium on the planet (not specifically the same as destroying the planet but has the same effect on the animals evolved for the current climate) there are quite a few falsehoods about other animals being lovely and humans being the only "bad apples" out there.

Other species have learned how to co-operate & benefit mutually and equally, even if we haven't. "

Bees engage in vicious and almost completely pointless wars, pretty much the same as humans:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/141110-bees-warfare-hives-aus

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/when-it-comes-waging-war-ants-huma

https://slate.com/human-interest/2009/05/the-dark-secrets-that-dolphins-don-t-wa

None of this really matters, humans are the species that have the knowledge and means to effect all other species and that is why we should be rising above these things but unfortunately seem unable to.

SB

Yes, it's probably an inevitable consequence of Darwinism isn't it? I suppose the thing is that no other species can yet do the sort of systematic damage that we have evolved to be capable of doing, driven ultimately by the pursuit of projecting individual 'success'.

By the time the bees have evolved nectar-powered devices capable of murdering any other species with the wrong colour stripes or grubbing up anything that doesn't produce the right sort of nectar, one would hope that they might also have evolved enough sense to not do so. We certainly didn't.

So the rest of the biome needs us to buzz off!

Well done all of us. on 21:46 - Jun 4 with 564 viewsRyorry

Well done all of us. on 21:27 - Jun 4 by StokieBlue

SB

Haha, fair does, wasn't aware of the internecine strife of those animals, looking forward to what promises to be fascinating reading 👍

I trust you're not going to dent my faith in fungi in a similar manner!

I did mean the effect we're having on the planet btw, rather than 'wrecking it' - just a convenient shorthand.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2022 21:48]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024