Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Remote/online work advice 12:44 - Jun 5 with 1625 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I would greatly appreciate some serious and useful advice please.

I am considering the possibility of finding a remotely-based job, as a means to create a better work-life balance.

Having never done this type of work, I've no idea what is out there or where to begin looking (beyond Googling 'online jobs').

I don't necessarily mind what the work is, as like I say it would be a means to facilitating an overall different lifestyle.

However, ideally I would like to be able to make use of the fact that I have a degree (in Physiotherapy, but I'd be more than happy to use the fact as a means to something completely unrelated), if there are any online jobs for which it is a requirement.

Online English teaching is probably one suggestion I will receive, but of course I want to find something consistent, reliable and secure.

I don't yet have enough experience in physiotherapy to do something like online disability claims assessment, for example.

If anyone could offer me advice I would be most grateful.

Thanks.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2022 10:19]

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Remote/online work advice on 12:49 - Jun 5 with 1572 viewsMullet

Editing/proofing work? Presumably you know biology so could work on scientific journals and textbooks etc.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Remote/online work advice on 12:53 - Jun 5 with 1558 viewsJ2BLUE

Unfortunately that is what most people want. I'm about to lose my work from home job and there's no way i'm going back to an office.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Remote/online work advice on 12:59 - Jun 5 with 1520 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Remote/online work advice on 12:53 - Jun 5 by J2BLUE

Unfortunately that is what most people want. I'm about to lose my work from home job and there's no way i'm going back to an office.

Sorry to hear that. What are you planning to do then?

Thank you for the suggestion, Mullet.

Remote/online work advice on 13:02 - Jun 5 with 1508 viewsunbelievablue

My advice would be to go on the job sites, filter by 'remote' and scroll for as long as you can bear. Anything you think you might like to do, list it out, group them by industry/role, and voila, you have a shortlist.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Remote/online work advice on 13:04 - Jun 5 with 1505 viewsRozz

Just speculating, but I imagine in COVID times the demand for online physiotherapy consultation is a pretty hot one, no? Lots of people are turning to private care due to strain on NHS for non-essential services, and we're all absolutely bent crooked from using our dining table as a workstation for 2 years.

Maybe a longer term strategy, but I'd go to Linkedin and start participating in conversations and attending online talks / seminars, getting a feel for what's out there. Even a recruitment role centred around your areas of interest / education? There's a lot of digital services startups out there these days.
Remote/online work advice on 13:13 - Jun 5 with 1463 viewsJ2BLUE

Remote/online work advice on 13:02 - Jun 5 by unbelievablue

My advice would be to go on the job sites, filter by 'remote' and scroll for as long as you can bear. Anything you think you might like to do, list it out, group them by industry/role, and voila, you have a shortlist.

Then seeth when 80% of them have been labelled remote to draw you in and then actually aren't.

Truly impaired.

Remote/online work advice on 13:14 - Jun 5 with 1458 viewsJ2BLUE

Remote/online work advice on 12:59 - Jun 5 by ThisIsMyUsername

Sorry to hear that. What are you planning to do then?

Thank you for the suggestion, Mullet.

Look for something remote but my chances of matching my current income and job level with a new remote vacancy is about as likely as Norwich winning the FA Cup next season.

Thankfully I won't be in any rush.

Truly impaired.

Remote/online work advice on 13:15 - Jun 5 with 1452 viewsunbelievablue

Remote/online work advice on 13:13 - Jun 5 by J2BLUE

Then seeth when 80% of them have been labelled remote to draw you in and then actually aren't.

That sucks. Dedicated sites must exist...like this? https://www.oberlo.co.uk/blog/how-to-find-remote-work

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Login to get fewer ads

Remote/online work advice on 13:16 - Jun 5 with 1448 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Remote/online work advice on 13:02 - Jun 5 by unbelievablue

As good a place to start as any!

Remote/online work advice on 13:18 - Jun 5 with 1448 viewsIllinoisblue

I wonder if you’re looking at it the wrong way. Find a job you want and enjoy and then see if you can figure out a remote option

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Remote/online work advice on 13:21 - Jun 5 with 1438 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Remote/online work advice on 13:04 - Jun 5 by Rozz

Just speculating, but I imagine in COVID times the demand for online physiotherapy consultation is a pretty hot one, no? Lots of people are turning to private care due to strain on NHS for non-essential services, and we're all absolutely bent crooked from using our dining table as a workstation for 2 years.

Maybe a longer term strategy, but I'd go to Linkedin and start participating in conversations and attending online talks / seminars, getting a feel for what's out there. Even a recruitment role centred around your areas of interest / education? There's a lot of digital services startups out there these days.

A good idea. Something I'd thought about previously but I've been focussed on finding my feet in reality since qualifying.

A quick Google shows that there are such services out there, so I'll contact a few about opportunities (I don't think I have the nous to do it independently).

Thanks for the other tips too.

Remote/online work advice on 13:27 - Jun 5 with 1414 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Remote/online work advice on 13:18 - Jun 5 by Illinoisblue

I wonder if you’re looking at it the wrong way. Find a job you want and enjoy and then see if you can figure out a remote option

Fair point as it would help to focus the search. Unfortunately though I'm still not sure what that is! I've tried a few things over the years, leading to me going to Uni as a mature student, but still not being convinced now that I've found my niche.

I should probably make a list of what really matters to me etc., and start with that. Will find it eventually...

Remote/online work advice on 13:27 - Jun 5 with 1411 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Remote/online work advice on 13:14 - Jun 5 by J2BLUE

Look for something remote but my chances of matching my current income and job level with a new remote vacancy is about as likely as Norwich winning the FA Cup next season.

Thankfully I won't be in any rush.

Is it really that hard?

Remote/online work advice on 13:29 - Jun 5 with 1406 viewsJ2BLUE

Remote/online work advice on 13:27 - Jun 5 by ThisIsMyUsername

Is it really that hard?

For me it will be. Leaving one of the very limited areas I have 'expert' knowledge. There are probably about 200 jobs maximum in the entire sector in the UK.

Truly impaired.

Remote/online work advice on 13:32 - Jun 5 with 1389 viewsMookamoo

Would you be up for doing a post graduate course? You could take your physiotherapy degree and move into a different area of health care. Part of my partner's job is doing CBT web courses for long term conditions. A lot of that os taking what she knows from a psychology post-grad diploma and adapting it to an online audience. There are a lot of people out there that prefer online courses and it's a lot cheaper for the health care provider, so they are expanding a lot of those services.
Remote/online work advice on 15:36 - Jun 5 with 1186 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Remote/online work advice on 13:32 - Jun 5 by Mookamoo

Would you be up for doing a post graduate course? You could take your physiotherapy degree and move into a different area of health care. Part of my partner's job is doing CBT web courses for long term conditions. A lot of that os taking what she knows from a psychology post-grad diploma and adapting it to an online audience. There are a lot of people out there that prefer online courses and it's a lot cheaper for the health care provider, so they are expanding a lot of those services.

Thank you for the suggestion. It sounds like an interesting concept but I think that my days of wanting to study further are behind me now.

Remote/online work advice on 17:41 - Jun 5 with 1079 viewsstopmoaning

You should be looking to do something that is related to your current job, otherwise it’s a career change and likely to be quite low paid.
Remote/online work advice on 17:51 - Jun 5 with 1057 viewsXYZ

Remote/online work advice on 12:53 - Jun 5 by J2BLUE

Obviously feel free to ignore the question, but why are you losing the job? I got the impression it was going well ...
Remote/online work advice on 09:28 - Jun 6 with 855 viewshoppy

Remote/online work advice on 13:27 - Jun 5 by ThisIsMyUsername

Is it really that hard?

You could always apply to be the remote curator of the Norwich trophy room... it's not much different to the role being at Carrow Road, although, of course, you may have more silverware at home if you've got a couple of teaspoons...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Remote/online work advice on 09:51 - Jun 6 with 822 viewsJ2BLUE

Remote/online work advice on 17:51 - Jun 5 by XYZ

Obviously feel free to ignore the question, but why are you losing the job? I got the impression it was going well ...

Edited 😀
[Post edited 23 Jun 2022 16:54]

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024