Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? 06:59 - Jun 8 with 4641 viewsitfc_bucks

Daily Heil is describing last night's coverage as being too "woke".

Obviously this passed me by - what about it was "woke"?
Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? on 07:10 - Jun 8 with 3551 viewsBlueBadger

I'm guessing that there was both a woman AND a non-white person in the commentary/summarising teams.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? on 07:12 - Jun 8 with 3533 viewsnoggin

They didn't mention the war.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

This whole on 07:42 - Jun 8 with 3467 viewsGuthrum

Woke/Culture Wars thing is at the level of a silly parody. Attitudes which were being lampooned in comedy shows as far back as the 1970s. Very few people alive today were more than children when such views were prevalent. It's a pastiche based on cod nostalgia.

But it's more insidious than that. A section of the press is telling people how they should be thinking, when they weren't even brought up that way.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This whole on 07:48 - Jun 8 with 3435 viewsChrisd

This whole on 07:42 - Jun 8 by Guthrum

Woke/Culture Wars thing is at the level of a silly parody. Attitudes which were being lampooned in comedy shows as far back as the 1970s. Very few people alive today were more than children when such views were prevalent. It's a pastiche based on cod nostalgia.

But it's more insidious than that. A section of the press is telling people how they should be thinking, when they weren't even brought up that way.

Here’s a novel idea, how about employing people that have the best credentials to do the job?

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

This whole on 08:09 - Jun 8 with 3343 viewsmikeybloo88

This whole on 07:48 - Jun 8 by Chrisd

Here’s a novel idea, how about employing people that have the best credentials to do the job?

Which they didn’t do last night as the level of punditry and commentary from both the women and the men was pretty abysmal...
This whole on 08:20 - Jun 8 with 3290 viewsGuthrum

Certainly - provided the employer is blind to all other factors (e.g. race, gender) and the opportunity to gain those credentials is equally open to all.

This whole on 08:29 - Jun 8 with 3277 viewsGuthrum

This whole on 08:09 - Jun 8 by mikeybloo88

Which they didn’t do last night as the level of punditry and commentary from both the women and the men was pretty abysmal...

Most sports punditry is routinely awful. The combination of genuine insight and an ability for articulate communication is quite rare. Added to that is the shortage of time to elaborate and the search for pithy soundbites. Plus the constant need to be controversial and argumentative (I'm looking at you, Chris Sutton).

All roynd not a good mix.

Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? on 08:52 - Jun 8 with 3178 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I wonder if we can come up with an adjective meaning anti-woke?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Login to get fewer ads

Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? on 09:10 - Jun 8 with 3105 viewsMattinLondon

Being honest, when I saw the pundits I nearly switched off in disgust…who wants to see Michael Owen on anything.
Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? on 09:16 - Jun 8 with 3065 viewsbluelagos

Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? on 09:10 - Jun 8 by MattinLondon

Being honest, when I saw the pundits I nearly switched off in disgust…who wants to see Michael Owen on anything.

He is sh1te isn't he.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? on 09:23 - Jun 8 with 3036 viewsJ2BLUE

I would imagine they mean both teams taking the knee and the stadium being lit up in pride colours:

One of which lasts about 5 seconds and with Hungary in our group makes a nice point.

The other has no impact on anyone else at all and was shown on camera for less than one minute combined all evening.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? on 09:37 - Jun 8 with 2977 viewsMattinLondon

Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? on 09:16 - Jun 8 by bluelagos

He is sh1te isn't he.

He’s just a complete obnoxious bell end.
Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? on 09:39 - Jun 8 with 2968 viewsMattinLondon

Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? on 09:23 - Jun 8 by J2BLUE

I would imagine they mean both teams taking the knee and the stadium being lit up in pride colours:

One of which lasts about 5 seconds and with Hungary in our group makes a nice point.

The other has no impact on anyone else at all and was shown on camera for less than one minute combined all evening.

Plus Harry Kane’s captains armband depicts the rainbow flag - that’s bound to trigger some one in the common sense army.
Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? on 10:10 - Jun 8 with 2837 viewsitfc_bucks

While this is all good and true, what about it was woke?

I'm genuinely lost on this one...
This whole on 10:28 - Jun 8 with 2779 viewsSTYG

Here's an even better idea.

When women, gay people and black and ethnic minorities are seen as equals, we can stop over representing them when such opportunities arise.

Until then, given there are loads of people out there that know about football and can provide their views, I am all for giving them a chance to be represented so that little girls, boys and girls of all ethnicities and kids that may be questioning their sexuality see themselves as completely normal.

For years we have had middle aged white blokes like Keown, Dixon, Le Saux that add absolutely nothing to punditry anyway. So if these new people are seen to be awful as well, at least they are helping to address some of the issues in society that sadly still need resolving.
Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? on 10:30 - Jun 8 with 2765 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? on 08:52 - Jun 8 by BanksterDebtSlave

Rhymes with Salmon, even more puce?
This whole on 10:49 - Jun 8 with 2719 viewsJ2BLUE

Which of them didn't have the credentials to do the job?

Overall I think punditry suddenly becoming much more diverse has been a massive positive for football. It's much more interesting now. It badly needed a freshen up from the old days.

Now we actually get pundits with a bit of personality.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? on 11:39 - Jun 8 with 2608 viewsBlueBadger

Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? on 08:52 - Jun 8 by BanksterDebtSlave

'Bigoted See You Next Tuesday' would appear to cover it.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? on 11:40 - Jun 8 with 2605 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? on 10:30 - Jun 8 by ArnoldMoorhen

Rhymes with Salmon, even more puce?

C#nt?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

This whole on 11:51 - Jun 8 with 2543 viewsBluefields

This whole on 08:09 - Jun 8 by mikeybloo88

What was abysmal about it?
I thought Jordan Nobbs was excellent.
Tbh I really dont care who the pundits are as I can form my own opinions from what I have just watched.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2022 11:52]
This whole on 12:07 - Jun 8 with 2467 viewsBlueBadger

This whole on 10:49 - Jun 8 by J2BLUE

Which of them didn't have the credentials to do the job?

Overall I think punditry suddenly becoming much more diverse has been a massive positive for football. It's much more interesting now. It badly needed a freshen up from the old days.

Now we actually get pundits with a bit of personality.

Plus Michael Owen.

Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? on 12:16 - Jun 8 with 2425 viewsitfcjoe

No idea, did find the punditry quite poor - Owen was ok, Nobbs added very little - thought the presenter (Jules Breach) was good and kept it moving and upbeat as didn't have a huge amount to work with

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? on 12:25 - Jun 8 with 2387 viewstimothyeo

Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? on 12:16 - Jun 8 by itfcjoe

No idea, did find the punditry quite poor - Owen was ok, Nobbs added very little - thought the presenter (Jules Breach) was good and kept it moving and upbeat as didn't have a huge amount to work with

Yeah, punditry was awful but that's more often the case than not.
Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? on 12:38 - Jun 8 with 2339 viewsRyorry

Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? on 09:23 - Jun 8 by J2BLUE

Thought the same, plus two x 2 second close-ups of Kane's rainbow armband as MattinLondon said.

Off-topic, was surprised it was dark there as early as 8.30pm, hadn't realised Munich was that much further south than here.

*Edit - afterthought. In any case, aren't the pictures usually broadcast by the host nation's TV services, with the UK service simply paying for the rights to use those? Makes you wonder about a possible political agenda behind the complaints, with the tories wanting to give C4 🥾
[Post edited 8 Jun 2022 13:08]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? on 13:27 - Jun 8 with 2240 viewsunbelievablue

Channel 4 England coverage - Woke watch? on 12:38 - Jun 8 by Ryorry

Thought the same, plus two x 2 second close-ups of Kane's rainbow armband as MattinLondon said.

Off-topic, was surprised it was dark there as early as 8.30pm, hadn't realised Munich was that much further south than here.

*Edit - afterthought. In any case, aren't the pictures usually broadcast by the host nation's TV services, with the UK service simply paying for the rights to use those? Makes you wonder about a possible political agenda behind the complaints, with the tories wanting to give C4 🥾
[Post edited 8 Jun 2022 13:08]

Interestingly Munich is fewer than 100 miles from the Alps. It's properly distinct in its culture from most of the rest of Germany.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024