Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as 20:05 - Jun 11 with 1922 viewsNthsuffolkblue

"illegal migrants"?

Aren't they asylum seekers who have not yet had their case heard? A bit emotive and misleading to describe them as illegal when they have not faced any trial or had their cases heard isn't it?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/rwanda-calls-for-uk-deportation-scheme-to-b

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 20:25 - Jun 11 with 1866 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yeah, it’s a bit misleading for the reason you mention. And worse, once they’ve had their cases heard they STILL have to stay in Rwanda if asylum is awarded. We’ve basically created a system where we can selectively deny asylum on a whim. It’ll be interesting to see who gets pushed to this scheme. I suspect there’ll be a bit of this:

[Post edited 11 Jun 2022 20:26]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 20:28 - Jun 11 with 1850 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 20:25 - Jun 11 by Swansea_Blue

Yeah, it’s a bit misleading for the reason you mention. And worse, once they’ve had their cases heard they STILL have to stay in Rwanda if asylum is awarded. We’ve basically created a system where we can selectively deny asylum on a whim. It’ll be interesting to see who gets pushed to this scheme. I suspect there’ll be a bit of this:

[Post edited 11 Jun 2022 20:26]

It will certainly be interesting when they start sending Ukrainians there.

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 20:30 - Jun 11 with 1844 viewsgtsb1966

Probably means economic immigrants.
Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 20:34 - Jun 11 with 1811 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 20:30 - Jun 11 by gtsb1966

Probably means economic immigrants.

1 That is not what they have said and not the same meaning at all.
2 Those due to be deported are not economic migrants as well as not being illegal migrants.

Aside from that, you make an interesting point.

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 20:35 - Jun 11 with 1800 viewsgtsb1966

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 20:34 - Jun 11 by Nthsuffolkblue

1 That is not what they have said and not the same meaning at all.
2 Those due to be deported are not economic migrants as well as not being illegal migrants.

Aside from that, you make an interesting point.

I was just guessing it was lazy journalism.
Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 20:38 - Jun 11 with 1786 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 20:35 - Jun 11 by gtsb1966

I was just guessing it was lazy journalism.

It is either lazy journalism or malicious misidentification in order to garner support for the policy.

However, they have not mentioned economic (as bad and misrepresentative as that is), they have chosen the even worse inaccurate term "illegal".

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 20:44 - Jun 11 with 1776 viewsArnoldMoorhen

***I AM IN NO WAY SUPPORTING PRITI PATEL OR HER POLICY***

It's technically true, because Patel changed the law to make it a crime to travel into the UK other than by an authorised route. So anybody who comes into the UK on a dinghy from Calais is automatically an "illegal" immigrant.

And then wrote the Rwanda clauses so that those who enter illegally claiming asylum can be deported to Rwanda as a "safe country" for processing.

So those due to be deported to Rwanda are still Asylum Seekers, but can have their Asylum claim processed in Rwanda because they are also, by Patel's new law's definition, also "illegal" immigrants.

It's very clever, but utterly evil, as it means the illegal immigrant bit is established legal fact, the language around refugees is circumnavigated, and many people will hear "illegal immigrants" and think "Good riddance!"
Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 20:50 - Jun 11 with 1749 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 20:44 - Jun 11 by ArnoldMoorhen

***I AM IN NO WAY SUPPORTING PRITI PATEL OR HER POLICY***

It's technically true, because Patel changed the law to make it a crime to travel into the UK other than by an authorised route. So anybody who comes into the UK on a dinghy from Calais is automatically an "illegal" immigrant.

And then wrote the Rwanda clauses so that those who enter illegally claiming asylum can be deported to Rwanda as a "safe country" for processing.

So those due to be deported to Rwanda are still Asylum Seekers, but can have their Asylum claim processed in Rwanda because they are also, by Patel's new law's definition, also "illegal" immigrants.

It's very clever, but utterly evil, as it means the illegal immigrant bit is established legal fact, the language around refugees is circumnavigated, and many people will hear "illegal immigrants" and think "Good riddance!"

Thanks for explaining. I don't think it is helpful for the media to play to her audience still.

Did you know the rate of crime amongst illegal immigrants is 100%? We should be terrified of them! I so wish that every voter had the opportunity to meet and get to know a migrant who could explain to them exactly how this policy would have prevented them coming here to live. It probably still wouldn't change many of their minds, though.

EDIT: And, indeed, refugee charities repeatedly say there is no such thing as a legal, safe route despite Tory MPs repeatedly saying that is how asylum seekers should get here.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2022 20:52]

Login to get fewer ads

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 00:11 - Jun 12 with 1598 viewsHARRY10

Ha

Only a looney would suggest the huge sums involved would be better spent on increased immigration staff, or point out that before the UK 'took back control' there was a mechanism whereby asylum seekers could be returned from whence they came - the Dublin Accord

A clever ploy that by 'righties'. which is now seeing tens of thousands arriving by boat.

If we are to have immigration then it should be Russians, who make a massive contribution to...........................Johnsons back pocket.

Maybe we could use their planes and houses (confiscated), to help sort this out

Meanwhile, from the folks who brought you the above

"Brexit is “largely to blame” for billions being lost in trade and tax revenues in recent years, according to a new study by top economists. The Centre for European Reform (CEF) said that by the end of last year, Britain’s economy was 5.2 per cent — or £31bn — smaller than it would have been without Brexit and the Covid pandemic."

"Representatives of the Northern Ireland food industry have warned the UK government that scrapping the Northern Ireland Protocol could damage their businesses."

Still it is not all cock up and incompetence as the bloater has come up with

"the suggestion there could be more fish farming, which is environmentally controversial, and an increase in the use of “responsibly sourced wild venison”

Let the poor eat Venison.....................eat your heart out Marie Antoinette
Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 00:24 - Jun 12 with 1589 viewslowhouseblue

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 20:50 - Jun 11 by Nthsuffolkblue

Thanks for explaining. I don't think it is helpful for the media to play to her audience still.

Did you know the rate of crime amongst illegal immigrants is 100%? We should be terrified of them! I so wish that every voter had the opportunity to meet and get to know a migrant who could explain to them exactly how this policy would have prevented them coming here to live. It probably still wouldn't change many of their minds, though.

EDIT: And, indeed, refugee charities repeatedly say there is no such thing as a legal, safe route despite Tory MPs repeatedly saying that is how asylum seekers should get here.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2022 20:52]

what's their legal status while they're in france? are they then asylum seekers?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 00:34 - Jun 12 with 1568 viewsXYZ

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 00:24 - Jun 12 by lowhouseblue

what's their legal status while they're in france? are they then asylum seekers?

Are you asking questions you know the answer to?

If so, why?

If you have an opinion/ point to make then why not just put it out there?
Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 00:39 - Jun 12 with 1562 viewslowhouseblue

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 00:34 - Jun 12 by XYZ

Are you asking questions you know the answer to?

If so, why?

If you have an opinion/ point to make then why not just put it out there?

i asked a question. i'm guessing you don't like people asking questions.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 00:43 - Jun 12 with 1542 viewsXYZ

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 00:39 - Jun 12 by lowhouseblue

i asked a question. i'm guessing you don't like people asking questions.

You are disingenuous.

Who likes such people?
Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 00:45 - Jun 12 with 1535 viewslowhouseblue

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 00:43 - Jun 12 by XYZ

You are disingenuous.

Who likes such people?

that's lovely. but what's their legal status when they're in france? are they then asylum seekers?

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 00:47 - Jun 12 with 1522 viewsXYZ

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 00:45 - Jun 12 by lowhouseblue

that's lovely. but what's their legal status when they're in france? are they then asylum seekers?

More questions and no stated opinions.

Oh so dull.

They're legal under international law on arrival in the UK.

75%+ of those claiming asylum in the UK are found to be valid.

Are you just a bit of a racist?
Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 00:51 - Jun 12 with 1507 viewslowhouseblue

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 00:47 - Jun 12 by XYZ

More questions and no stated opinions.

Oh so dull.

They're legal under international law on arrival in the UK.

75%+ of those claiming asylum in the UK are found to be valid.

Are you just a bit of a racist?

no. it's a question about their legal status in france. couldn't be clearer as to what i'm asking.

if we had tens of thousands of people arrive in liverpool would we let them travel across the country and live in kent without determining their immigration status? would you defend the uk adopting such an approach?

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 00:51 - Jun 12 with 1505 viewsjeera

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 00:24 - Jun 12 by lowhouseblue

Surely only if they are claiming asylum there?

I don't know btw. It's just another question.

Someone will know.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 05:53 - Jun 12 with 1370 viewsWeWereZombies

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 00:51 - Jun 12 by lowhouseblue

no. it's a question about their legal status in france. couldn't be clearer as to what i'm asking.

if we had tens of thousands of people arrive in liverpool would we let them travel across the country and live in kent without determining their immigration status? would you defend the uk adopting such an approach?

I think that would depend upon whether it was hop picking season or whether the mill owners got to them first:

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/history/chm/outreach/migration/backgroundreading/
[Post edited 12 Jun 2022 10:34]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 10:03 - Jun 12 with 1217 viewsPinewoodblue

To be fair the article is about people who have migrated to the UK by illegal methods. However if in arrival they seek asylum their status changes.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 11:29 - Jun 12 with 1143 viewsHatStand

It can't be to bad in Rwanda. Arsenal and PSG are happy to promote it on their sleeves

Poll: Piers Morgan / Marmite

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 12:14 - Jun 12 with 1086 viewsNthsuffolkblue

You mean France demonise them less than we do. Is that in some way meant to reflect well on us?

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 12:16 - Jun 12 with 1078 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 10:03 - Jun 12 by Pinewoodblue

To be fair the article is about people who have migrated to the UK by illegal methods. However if in arrival they seek asylum their status changes.

With that status change they avoid removal to Rwanda for processing? Or is the article, in that case, wrongly stating that they are illegal?

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 12:18 - Jun 12 with 1068 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 11:29 - Jun 12 by HatStand

It can't be to bad in Rwanda. Arsenal and PSG are happy to promote it on their sleeves

Yes, because no well paid sportspeople would turn a blind eye to human rights abuses in, say Saudi Arabia, for money. But I guess that is the point you intended to make.

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 01:55 - Jun 13 with 847 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 00:45 - Jun 12 by lowhouseblue

Someone is an Asylum Seeker at the point that they seek refuge. Before that, if they have fled from a war zone or personal, religious or racial persecution, they are a refugee.

Happy to help.
Why is this article describing those being deported to Rwanda as on 07:53 - Jun 13 with 755 viewsElephantintheRoom

Probably because they are migrants who entered the UK illegally at a guess.

They can seek asylum once in the system - and have their cases heard. The fact that there is no legal way for these people to migrate to the UK is perhaps the key problem - but answering that costs votes

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024