Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sentient ai 09:10 - Jun 13 with 2213 viewsgiant_stow

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/jun/12/google-engineer-ai-bot-sentie

Read the transcript....

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Sentient ai on 09:24 - Jun 13 with 1233 viewsGuthrum

Does sound a bit like someone got a bit too involved with a piece of software they were working on.

After all, it's not hard to write a programme to express all those sentiments*. The question is whether they have any real meaning to the system delivering them, or if merely responses to the correct triggers.

* At its most simple level, in old-school BASIC
10 Input X$
20 IF X$ = "How are you?" THEN PRINT "I feel happy!"
30 GOTO 10
[Post edited 13 Jun 2022 9:26]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Sentient ai on 09:26 - Jun 13 with 1222 viewsunbelievablue

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Sentient ai on 09:39 - Jun 13 with 1172 viewsgiant_stow

Sentient ai on 09:24 - Jun 13 by Guthrum

Does sound a bit like someone got a bit too involved with a piece of software they were working on.

After all, it's not hard to write a programme to express all those sentiments*. The question is whether they have any real meaning to the system delivering them, or if merely responses to the correct triggers.

10 Input X$
30 GOTO 10

The transcript is all around probing that very thing - obviously I don't know my arse from my elbow but to a layman, it's pretty convincing.id love to hear why the rest of Google disagrees with the chap.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Sentient ai on 09:46 - Jun 13 with 1154 viewsEwan_Oozami

Sentient ai on 09:26 - Jun 13 by unbelievablue

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Sentient ai on 09:47 - Jun 13 with 1152 viewsWeWereZombies

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Sentient ai on 09:49 - Jun 13 with 1141 viewsGeoffSentence

If that chap came on here I think he would indeed conclude that most of us were either an instance of his chatbot, or 7 or 8 year old children.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Sentient ai on 09:57 - Jun 13 with 1121 viewsGuthrum

Sentient ai on 09:39 - Jun 13 by giant_stow

The transcript is all around probing that very thing - obviously I don't know my arse from my elbow but to a layman, it's pretty convincing.id love to hear why the rest of Google disagrees with the chap.

Tho it doesn't really. It's just a list of (alleged) inputs and outputs from a computer system. There is no elaboration of the code behind it, no evidence that the output phrases have any "meaning" to the computer delivering them.

Is it purely an overlay, in the same sense as Rutger Hauer's speech in Bladerunner is an overlay created by the scriptwriter? Is it a set of cold, mechanical responses the computer has merely been programmed to compose to make it seem more accessible to humans? Does the system scream when you reach for the off switch?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Sentient ai on 10:00 - Jun 13 with 1113 viewsWeWereZombies

Sentient ai on 09:57 - Jun 13 by Guthrum

Tho it doesn't really. It's just a list of (alleged) inputs and outputs from a computer system. There is no elaboration of the code behind it, no evidence that the output phrases have any "meaning" to the computer delivering them.

Is it purely an overlay, in the same sense as Rutger Hauer's speech in Bladerunner is an overlay created by the scriptwriter? Is it a set of cold, mechanical responses the computer has merely been programmed to compose to make it seem more accessible to humans? Does the system scream when you reach for the off switch?

Also, Blake has failed the Turing Test.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Login to get fewer ads

Sentient ai on 10:10 - Jun 13 with 1096 viewsStokieBlue

Sentient ai on 09:24 - Jun 13 by Guthrum

10 Input X$
30 GOTO 10

It's not as easy as you are making out to get a system to produce a dialogue like that. That system has a very good chance of passing the Turing test - it didn't obviously slip up on hard concepts like the "broken mirror" or spirituality that a lot of contenders for the Turing test have difficulty with.

Whether it's sentient is an entirely different ballpark but as a system it's very impressive. Proving sentience would be extremely difficult though for any system. We don't even have an agreed test for animals - the mirror test is far from conclusive.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Sentient ai on 10:24 - Jun 13 with 1062 viewsDanTheMan

Sentient ai on 10:10 - Jun 13 by StokieBlue

It's not as easy as you are making out to get a system to produce a dialogue like that. That system has a very good chance of passing the Turing test - it didn't obviously slip up on hard concepts like the "broken mirror" or spirituality that a lot of contenders for the Turing test have difficulty with.

Whether it's sentient is an entirely different ballpark but as a system it's very impressive. Proving sentience would be extremely difficult though for any system. We don't even have an agreed test for animals - the mirror test is far from conclusive.

SB

Yeah honestly I think this is being blown out of proportion. I'd be happy to nail my colours to the mast and say this isn't sentient (and defining sentience is hard enough), although it's remarkable.

His blog posts afterwards are quite something, comes across a bit unhinged.

https://cajundiscordian.medium.com/religious-discrimination-at-google-8c3c471f0a

https://cajundiscordian.medium.com/may-be-fired-soon-for-doing-ai-ethics-work-80
[Post edited 13 Jun 2022 10:24]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Sentient ai on 10:25 - Jun 13 with 1057 viewswkj

Sentient ai on 10:10 - Jun 13 by StokieBlue

SB

Indeed. I am almost open to accept that this qualifies as AI... almost.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Sentient ai on 10:29 - Jun 13 with 1049 viewsunbelievablue

Sentient ai on 10:25 - Jun 13 by wkj

Indeed. I am almost open to accept that this qualifies as AI... almost.

This issue being that AI is as difficult to define as sentience.

For me, it's incredibly impressive, but neither.

Sentient ai on 10:46 - Jun 13 with 1004 viewsfactual_blue

Sentience is not to be found in norfukkers.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Sentient ai on 11:00 - Jun 13 with 994 viewswkj

Sentient ai on 10:29 - Jun 13 by unbelievablue

This issue being that AI is as difficult to define as sentience.

For me, it's incredibly impressive, but neither.

THe easy answer to sentience is that something is self aware. Stokie mentioned the Turing test, but I am of the camp that the Turing Test needs a little more added to it. In my opinion, sentience in computing is this.

1. If an algorithm can ask a question, and state why it seeks the answer
2. Logically takes the answer to the question and applies it to further task
3. Question the validity of the answer later on if it seems incorrect.

Then, of course, my over-simplified analogy the other day behind questioning the term 'AI'

Computers may know the what but don't know the why.

Crybaby

Sentient ai on 11:39 - Jun 13 with 949 viewsmonytowbray

There's still no evidence to suggest anything we've created with tech ever is actually sentient to my knowledge. Even good AI that replicates human behaviour well is simply doing that based on data.

One of the biggest challenges here is science still doesn't know what sentience or consciousness really is, let alone where it comes from and how to test for it. We agree we are all self-aware and exist, but that's about the limit of what we can say for sure about ourselves (let alone a robot).

What trips me out more is the more you learn about how reality works (space, time, biology) the more you start to wonder if we are machines building machines, and how much value sentience really has in terms of truth as we know ourselves.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2022 11:42]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Sentient ai on 11:40 - Jun 13 with 945 viewsunbelievablue

Sentient ai on 11:39 - Jun 13 by monytowbray

There's still no evidence to suggest anything we've created with tech ever is actually sentient to my knowledge. Even good AI that replicates human behaviour well is simply doing that based on data.

One of the biggest challenges here is science still doesn't know what sentience or consciousness really is, let alone where it comes from and how to test for it. We agree we are all self-aware and exist, but that's about the limit of what we can say for sure about ourselves (let alone a robot).

What trips me out more is the more you learn about how reality works (space, time, biology) the more you start to wonder if we are machines building machines, and how much value sentience really has in terms of truth as we know ourselves.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2022 11:42]

Sometimes I don't think I exist.

Sentient ai on 11:43 - Jun 13 with 934 viewsmonytowbray

Sentient ai on 11:40 - Jun 13 by unbelievablue

Sometimes I don't think I exist.

Arguably you don't. We are chemical illusions of self.

TWTD never forgets…

Sentient ai on 11:45 - Jun 13 with 929 viewsunbelievablue

Sentient ai on 11:43 - Jun 13 by monytowbray

Arguably you don't. We are chemical illusions of self.

The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat is a particularly good read in this space.

Sentient ai on 11:49 - Jun 13 with 917 viewsmonytowbray

Sentient ai on 11:45 - Jun 13 by unbelievablue

The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat is a particularly good read in this space.

Will get it on my list!

TWTD never forgets…

Sentient ai on 11:54 - Jun 13 with 907 viewsbluestandard

Sentient ai on 09:57 - Jun 13 by Guthrum

Hmm. I get your point here, but playing devils advocate I think it’s more complicated than that.

Caveat:- I’m certainly no software expert! But sentience is defined as the ability to perceive OR feel things. Whilst we know computers don’t feel things per se, deep learning algorithms etc are now capable of doing an extraordinary imitation, such that the difference between real empathy from a human being and perceived empathy from a machine is (or in the future may be) extremely difficult to distinguish between. The sheer quantity of inputs that are now possible in conjunction with statistical analysis (data science) is making this possible. I think it’s quite amazing and scary what is happening behind closed doors in this field right now, which in time will dwarf the impact made by the creation of the internet.
Sentient ai on 12:03 - Jun 13 with 895 viewsEireannach_gorm

Sentient ai on 09:46 - Jun 13 by Ewan_Oozami

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Sentient ai on 12:05 - Jun 13 with 890 viewsunbelievablue

Sentient ai on 11:49 - Jun 13 by monytowbray

Will get it on my list!

Also this In Our Time podcast on consciousness is great fun. Penrose and Honderich going at it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p005464j

Sentient ai on 12:06 - Jun 13 with 882 viewsmonytowbray

Sentient ai on 11:54 - Jun 13 by bluestandard

Hmm. I get your point here, but playing devils advocate I think it’s more complicated than that.

Caveat:- I’m certainly no software expert! But sentience is defined as the ability to perceive OR feel things. Whilst we know computers don’t feel things per se, deep learning algorithms etc are now capable of doing an extraordinary imitation, such that the difference between real empathy from a human being and perceived empathy from a machine is (or in the future may be) extremely difficult to distinguish between. The sheer quantity of inputs that are now possible in conjunction with statistical analysis (data science) is making this possible. I think it’s quite amazing and scary what is happening behind closed doors in this field right now, which in time will dwarf the impact made by the creation of the internet.

To limit sentience to just "empathy" is a discredit to both sentience and AI though.

In defence of sentience:

There's no real description or reason of what makes us self-aware beyond the human experience which is a subjective one.

To my knowledge we can only account for 6% of that the universe actually is, and we perceive/see/feel a tiny fraction of that though what our body/brain allows. The brain is an incredibly complex functioning organ too, and we are very early on in our scientific understanding of it.

Thus, until we can scientifically measure or identify what sentience is based on a factual metric, we can never actually be sure if what we've created is sentient. Building a literal human simulator is not a bridge we're close to building with what we know at present.

In defence of AI:

We've already invented AI that can fly planes and drive cars better than humans. It was only 25 years ago we built a computer that beat the world's greatest chess player.

We also know through processing mass data what choices we can make personally to be more empathetic in our ripples around society - diet, transport, consumption, etc.

I would argue AI could already be better at making empathetic choices than humans if we asked a machine with the right data entered what humanity needs to do to avoid the climate crisis or for all to live a more fulfilled life.

Problem is the AI is going to tell us to overthrow the current power structures and do away with money/land hoarding. The powers that be therefore won't allow it!

On the flip, I do believe AI could go AWOL and cause huge issues too, but again that is all possible with the current framework of data processing and wouldn't mean sentience.

Imagine if machine learning led to this for example...

[Post edited 13 Jun 2022 12:09]

TWTD never forgets…

Sentient ai on 12:16 - Jun 13 with 842 viewswkj

Sentient ai on 12:05 - Jun 13 by unbelievablue

Also this In Our Time podcast on consciousness is great fun. Penrose and Honderich going at it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p005464j

Oh the debate in the industry is intense. A lot of AI study has positioned itself around Isacc Asamov's laws of robotics

"A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law."

Leaving the whole 'this was a work of fiction' debate to one side, the point of Asamov's Laws and the collection of stories in I Robot was to highlight how those laws contradict one another in various situations.

There is a real race in AI study at the moment between parties that want to define what AI is, myself being a skeptic but going into an advanced undergrad module next October with he am to be critical.

Tbf the module actually invites critical thinking

The module is divided into several blocks. Each covering a different aspect of machine learning.

You’ll start with an introduction that outlines some of the issues surrounding machine learning, including questions about how machine learning systems are used and their social effects.

Deep neural learning is introduced, with a look at neural networks. You’ll create, train, and evaluate some neural networks, to perform tasks such as handwriting recognition. You’ll also see how these networks don’t scale up to larger problems.

Convolutional neural networks solve many of these problems. You’ll learn how these networks start by identifying small features in their inputs (normally images). Successive layers in the inputs combine these features into larger ones, eventually leading to a classification in the image.

Recurrent neural networks operate on time-dependent data, such as language. You’ll learn how they retain information seen earlier in order to interpret what’s happening now. You’ll use them to understand and generate some text.

Autoencoders teach themselves to compress and reconstruct their inputs. You’ll see how to use this for both compression and to clean data and replace missing data. You’ll see how this can be used to generate “deepfakes” to fool people, and what that means for trust.

You’ll also look at alternatives to deep learning; you’ll compare their strengths and weaknesses to the deep learning systems you’ve seen. Part of the differences lies in how the data should be prepared for different systems. As well as the time needed, preparation is another way for bias to creep into the system.

The conclusion asks you to review the technical aspects of machine learning; to consider how these systems are used; and the effects this could have on individuals and society.

In short, it's going to be a 10 month long equivalent of a Jeremy Corbyn 10 pager on TWTD.

Crybaby

Sentient ai on 12:31 - Jun 13 with 811 viewsmonytowbray

Sentient ai on 12:16 - Jun 13 by wkj

Oh the debate in the industry is intense. A lot of AI study has positioned itself around Isacc Asamov's laws of robotics

"A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law."

Leaving the whole 'this was a work of fiction' debate to one side, the point of Asamov's Laws and the collection of stories in I Robot was to highlight how those laws contradict one another in various situations.

There is a real race in AI study at the moment between parties that want to define what AI is, myself being a skeptic but going into an advanced undergrad module next October with he am to be critical.

Tbf the module actually invites critical thinking

The module is divided into several blocks. Each covering a different aspect of machine learning.

You’ll start with an introduction that outlines some of the issues surrounding machine learning, including questions about how machine learning systems are used and their social effects.

Deep neural learning is introduced, with a look at neural networks. You’ll create, train, and evaluate some neural networks, to perform tasks such as handwriting recognition. You’ll also see how these networks don’t scale up to larger problems.

Convolutional neural networks solve many of these problems. You’ll learn how these networks start by identifying small features in their inputs (normally images). Successive layers in the inputs combine these features into larger ones, eventually leading to a classification in the image.

Recurrent neural networks operate on time-dependent data, such as language. You’ll learn how they retain information seen earlier in order to interpret what’s happening now. You’ll use them to understand and generate some text.

Autoencoders teach themselves to compress and reconstruct their inputs. You’ll see how to use this for both compression and to clean data and replace missing data. You’ll see how this can be used to generate “deepfakes” to fool people, and what that means for trust.

You’ll also look at alternatives to deep learning; you’ll compare their strengths and weaknesses to the deep learning systems you’ve seen. Part of the differences lies in how the data should be prepared for different systems. As well as the time needed, preparation is another way for bias to creep into the system.

The conclusion asks you to review the technical aspects of machine learning; to consider how these systems are used; and the effects this could have on individuals and society.

In short, it's going to be a 10 month long equivalent of a Jeremy Corbyn 10 pager on TWTD.

From what I gather science has historically rejected anything non-physically measured or observed, thus leaving consciousness in the philosophical realm of study and anyone who dares frame the question of self-awareness as a scientific one is accused of pseudo behaviour.

Not a million miles off as no one can conclude anything on the topic - We don't even know what to measure, let alone have the tools to measure, to understand what the self is or what it's purpose is in the wider scheme of the universe. But we all have it in our flesh prisons and agree that much.

If we want to create sentience, properly, we first need to figure out how we ask the question of "what is consciousness?". And to do that we need to move from contemplating it through the limits of our own minds and start asking how it fits into the universe.

Although AI has endless value in it's current form, making sentient life in a robot would be entirely fluke if we got that lucky.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2022 12:34]

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024