Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A person's right to choose their own pronouns etc. 00:08 - Jun 14 with 6461 viewsbluelagos

Wondering if the twtd collective would extend that courtesy to members to the monarchy?

In the unlikely event of my ever meeting the Queen would it be disrepectful to refuse to refer to her as "Your majesty" and instead call her "Lizzy"?

Edited for sh1t grammar

[Post edited 14 Jun 2022 15:21]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 00:18 - Jun 14 with 3165 viewsjeera

I would be respectful as I would to any elderly person I encounter.

And although i struggle with the [royal] concept and would like to pretend i would call her Mrs Windsor I think the intimidating circumstances would compel me to say whatever was expected of me.

Can't be sure unless it happened but guessing ma'am and certainly not majesty.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 00:23 - Jun 14 with 3157 viewsbluelagos

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 00:18 - Jun 14 by jeera

I would be respectful as I would to any elderly person I encounter.

And although i struggle with the [royal] concept and would like to pretend i would call her Mrs Windsor I think the intimidating circumstances would compel me to say whatever was expected of me.

Can't be sure unless it happened but guessing ma'am and certainly not majesty.

Mrs Windsor does seem like a nice compromise. Bit more formal than Lizzy but without the doth capping of "Your Majesty"

What about Prince Andrew? What are we expected to refer to him as now he has fallen from grace?
[Post edited 14 Jun 2022 15:22]

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 00:53 - Jun 14 with 3103 viewsRyorry

She's well known for her wit apparently, so I think you'd receive a polite & friendly but dry reply that might make you feel a bit sheepish for having taken "liberties"!

I'm all for respecting individuals, so it's however they want to be called as far as I'm concerned - unless they're clearly real life wrong 'uns who've transgresed big time, in which case I think I'd just blank them.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 08:29 - Jun 14 with 2842 viewssolemio

She is not Lizzie. Show some respect. She is Madge.
A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 08:40 - Jun 14 with 2812 viewsWeWereZombies

I'd like to think I would have the courage to go full Hobbesian and greet her as 'Our Sovereign', but I'm coming round to the idea of advocating for a Federal Britain so I might add 'and future co-President of the Republic of Ireland'...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 08:52 - Jun 14 with 2787 viewsmylittletown

I reckon that ma'am is OK. I don't mind calling anyone her age ma'am.

And I think that Nonce Andrew would work well.
A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 10:05 - Jun 14 with 2706 viewsbluelagos

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 08:52 - Jun 14 by mylittletown

I reckon that ma'am is OK. I don't mind calling anyone her age ma'am.

And I think that Nonce Andrew would work well.

"Your royal nonseness"

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 11:34 - Jun 14 with 2635 viewsCrawfordsboot

Knowing you Lagos I’m thinking you would be perfectly comfortable with Lizzie!
Login to get fewer ads

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 12:15 - Jun 14 with 2550 viewsRyorry

Hint for anyone wanting to get on well with over 70s, whether "royalty" or not - don't ever call them by their first name if you've never previously met them, unless they invite you to do so ... 🤬

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 12:17 - Jun 14 with 2538 viewsJ2BLUE

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 12:15 - Jun 14 by Ryorry

Hint for anyone wanting to get on well with over 70s, whether "royalty" or not - don't ever call them by their first name if you've never previously met them, unless they invite you to do so ... 🤬

Alright Dave

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 12:19 - Jun 14 with 2530 viewswkj

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 12:15 - Jun 14 by Ryorry

I never actually use anyone's name to their faces anyway - just look at them and start talking. Also, It might be a colloquialism, but I don't really ever say he or she anyway, its always they - for no other reason than conditioning.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2022 12:20]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 12:24 - Jun 14 with 2505 viewsRyorry

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 12:17 - Jun 14 by J2BLUE

Alright Dave

Hey Phil

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 12:34 - Jun 14 with 2496 viewswkj

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 12:24 - Jun 14 by Ryorry

Hey Phil

Not sure I would accept being called daveU if I were you, just sayin.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 12:37 - Jun 14 with 2478 viewsRyorry

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 12:34 - Jun 14 by wkj

I'm always telling posters to read more carefully ...

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 12:43 - Jun 14 with 2474 viewsWeWereZombies

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 12:34 - Jun 14 by wkj

And yet I can assert footers is really Boris and get away with it...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 14:44 - Jun 14 with 2376 viewsArnoldMoorhen

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 00:53 - Jun 14 by Ryorry

She's well known for her wit apparently, so I think you'd receive a polite & friendly but dry reply that might make you feel a bit sheepish for having taken "liberties"!

I'm all for respecting individuals, so it's however they want to be called as far as I'm concerned - unless they're clearly real life wrong 'uns who've transgresed big time, in which case I think I'd just blank them.

I'm guessing your second paragraph is a response to Lagos' question of what to call Prince Andrew?
A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 14:53 - Jun 14 with 2347 viewsRyorry

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 14:44 - Jun 14 by ArnoldMoorhen

I'm guessing your second paragraph is a response to Lagos' question of what to call Prince Andrew?

You guessed correctly 👍

He's got a flamin nerve, wanting to weasel his way back in by attending yesterday's proceedings (he's not had his KG badge removed). Good for Charles & William, who apparently persuaded the Queen that it'd be a Very Bad Move to allow him.

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 15:04 - Jun 14 with 2332 viewsArnoldMoorhen

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 14:53 - Jun 14 by Ryorry

You guessed correctly 👍

He's got a flamin nerve, wanting to weasel his way back in by attending yesterday's proceedings (he's not had his KG badge removed). Good for Charles & William, who apparently persuaded the Queen that it'd be a Very Bad Move to allow him.

A big fanfare was made over the Queen removing his "Royal titles", yet he is still referred to as both Prince Andrew and the Duke of York, and, as you say, is still a Royal Companion of the Order of the Garter.

So what was removed, exactly?
A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 15:05 - Jun 14 with 2330 viewsbluelagos

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 15:04 - Jun 14 by ArnoldMoorhen

A big fanfare was made over the Queen removing his "Royal titles", yet he is still referred to as both Prince Andrew and the Duke of York, and, as you say, is still a Royal Companion of the Order of the Garter.

His dignity?

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 15:06 - Jun 14 with 2319 viewsRyorry

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 15:05 - Jun 14 by bluelagos

His dignity?

And any last shred of respect anybody might previously have had for him ...

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 15:11 - Jun 14 with 2309 viewsXYZ

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 15:04 - Jun 14 by ArnoldMoorhen

Pizza Express loyalty card
A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 15:13 - Jun 14 with 2297 viewsRyorry

A persons rights to choose their own pronouns etc. on 15:11 - Jun 14 by XYZ

Pizza Express loyalty card

PE would give him another couple of dozen if it were!
[Post edited 14 Jun 2022 15:13]

A person's right to choose their own pronouns etc. on 15:58 - Jun 14 with 2216 viewsEddyJ

Answering the original question:

There is a big difference between someone choosing whether they want male, female or non-gendered pronouns and someone wanting to be called by their title.

Calling someone "he", "she", "they", "xhe" etc... doesn't impact me in any way. Therefore, if it will make said person more comfortable, it is a no-brainer to use their pronouns of choice.

Calling someone "your majesty" or other deferential BS is conceding the notion that the Queen is somehow better than I, or entitled to greater respect, simply because of an accident of birth.

If I was meeting the Queen for the first time, I would offer a handshake and refer to her as "Elizabeth". Perhaps if I got to know her better, I might switch to "Liz" or "Lizzy" or whatever shortening she preferred.
A person's right to choose their own pronouns etc. on 18:52 - Jun 14 with 2096 viewsRyorry

A person's right to choose their own pronouns etc. on 15:58 - Jun 14 by EddyJ

Answering the original question:

There is a big difference between someone choosing whether they want male, female or non-gendered pronouns and someone wanting to be called by their title.

Calling someone "he", "she", "they", "xhe" etc... doesn't impact me in any way. Therefore, if it will make said person more comfortable, it is a no-brainer to use their pronouns of choice.

Calling someone "your majesty" or other deferential BS is conceding the notion that the Queen is somehow better than I, or entitled to greater respect, simply because of an accident of birth.

If I was meeting the Queen for the first time, I would offer a handshake and refer to her as "Elizabeth". Perhaps if I got to know her better, I might switch to "Liz" or "Lizzy" or whatever shortening she preferred.

That would just make you look exceptionally rude & uncaring about others generally.

"Mrs Windsor" yes. "Elizabeth" no. See my post above re over 70s.

A person's right to choose their own pronouns etc. on 22:00 - Jun 14 with 2018 viewsJ2BLUE

A person's right to choose their own pronouns etc. on 18:52 - Jun 14 by Ryorry

That would just make you look exceptionally rude & uncaring about others generally.

"Mrs Windsor" yes. "Elizabeth" no. See my post above re over 70s.

What if we don't agree with your post?

Not being awkward but genuinely have never had any issues calling women of that age by their first name. Never been an issue. Can't imagine any of the 70+ women in the family or my nan's friends etc would put up with being called Mrs *insert surname* for long.

Is it an area of the country thing?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024