Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First Brexit now immigration 18:44 - Jun 14 with 2398 viewsgtsb1966

splitting the country in two. We've become a very fractious nation haven't we. It isn't going to take much, especially with the economic situation, for the touch paper to be lit. I fear a riotous summer. The togetherness of lockdown has gone.
First Brexit now immigration on 18:51 - Jun 14 with 1726 viewsBrianTablet

Ridiculous notion. Of course we aren't splitting in two.
You divisionistas, pah.
Us unitedarianists are right and you know it.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

First Brexit now immigration on 18:54 - Jun 14 with 1720 viewsPlums

I fear you’re correct but you don’t see them as part of the same thing?
Look back ten years to the Olympics and see how far we’ve fallen as a nation. Then look at who’s responsible for it.
They should never be allowed near the instruments of power again.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

First Brexit now immigration on 19:04 - Jun 14 with 1695 viewsgtsb1966

First Brexit now immigration on 18:54 - Jun 14 by Plums

Look back ten years to the Olympics and see how far we’ve fallen as a nation. Then look at who’s responsible for it.

They just showed a poll on the news on the government's immigration policy and it was slightly more for than against just like Brexit. A near 50/50 split.
First Brexit now immigration on 19:07 - Jun 14 with 1676 viewsFreddies_Ears

First Brexit now immigration on 19:04 - Jun 14 by gtsb1966

They just showed a poll on the news on the government's immigration policy and it was slightly more for than against just like Brexit. A near 50/50 split.

Odd that, given the immigration is far higher now than in 2016. Maybe people believe the headlines rather than the facts?
First Brexit now immigration on 19:10 - Jun 14 with 1660 viewsfactual_blue

Well done boris.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I've been posting about this...the fractious concern is this left/right divide.. on 19:12 - Jun 14 with 1656 viewsunstableblue

... that is being raged about by the Tories and Daily Mail ilk... and also in part by left and woke groups

Its really not good for UK PLC

Classic British 'can't we all just get along' needs to reign again!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

First Brexit now immigration on 19:14 - Jun 14 with 1655 viewsCheltenham_Blue

The country has been divided for as long as I can recall, all the way back to the 70's. But it wasn't black and white before like it is now, there were a plethora of different shades of grey in between the two.

Now, if you don't agree with someone, you are 100% against them. Its sad.

I blame the old social media, and the young fkers.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

First Brexit now immigration on 19:17 - Jun 14 with 1641 viewsjeera

First Brexit now immigration on 18:54 - Jun 14 by Plums

And as others continuously point out the influence of our media.

Why is there such division?

It's too simplistic to keep calling people thick, not to mention for some reason not everyone likes it.

I think the basic truth is most people feel they vote in whoever to run the country and leave them to it; with their part done until the next time the popularity contest resurfaces. A number of people turn over when the news comes on or only focus on the bits they are personally interested in. Sometimes a TV news programme can come across as little more than newspaper headlines unfolding on a screen with pictures and audio.

If people want to discover more they have to put themselves out and many are either just too busy working and paying their bills to notice or are people who are satisfied with their immediate lot, don't really over question much beyond a tut here and there and get on with things, for better or for worse.

If they all realised those in charge were taking the piss you'd like to think more would be done, but seeing people like T.Hunt in Ipswich spouting the sh1t he does and getting away with it makes you wonder if anyone beyond a few even notice what's going on half the time.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

First Brexit now immigration on 19:21 - Jun 14 with 1634 viewsIcantbelieveyousaidt

Nope we are not a fractious nation - I mix with hundreds of folk during my voluntary work, love of cricket, being a long serving ITFC fan, having a wonderful family and travelling the length and breadth of the country.
The majority of people are thankful for the lovely weather, pleased that covid for the time being at least is behind us, grateful that we have a roof over our heads and sufficient food, whilst at the same time accepting that there are those that need help more than others.
There are 65,000,000 of us on these islands and 650 MP's - in the main we control our own destiny. Humility, respect, dignity, generosity just oozes from so many that I come across.
I spend very very little time on social media, it is harmful and depressing!
Today we had a full house at Trent Bridge, all let in for nowt; they sang throughout, including the national anthem so despised by so many! Britishness at its best and bringing us all together! - Let us hope for the same for Gareth Southgate later this evening - I can cope with good news, folk being happy, supporting my nation, whilst at the same time accepting there is always an opposition (New Zealand played a big part in such a wonderful game).
Minorities cause the issues in any society, take yourself of to a concert, a walk, a festival, go swimming, play bat and ball with the kids in the park, do charity work and generally just enjoy life, it is very short and certainly too short to spread unhappiness about fractiousness.
First Brexit now immigration on 19:25 - Jun 14 with 1605 viewsjeera

First Brexit now immigration on 19:21 - Jun 14 by Icantbelieveyousaidt

Nope we are not a fractious nation - I mix with hundreds of folk during my voluntary work, love of cricket, being a long serving ITFC fan, having a wonderful family and travelling the length and breadth of the country.
The majority of people are thankful for the lovely weather, pleased that covid for the time being at least is behind us, grateful that we have a roof over our heads and sufficient food, whilst at the same time accepting that there are those that need help more than others.
There are 65,000,000 of us on these islands and 650 MP's - in the main we control our own destiny. Humility, respect, dignity, generosity just oozes from so many that I come across.
Today we had a full house at Trent Bridge, all let in for nowt; they sang throughout, including the national anthem so despised by so many! Britishness at its best and bringing us all together! - Let us hope for the same for Gareth Southgate later this evening - I can cope with good news, folk being happy, supporting my nation, whilst at the same time accepting there is always an opposition (New Zealand played a big part in such a wonderful game).
Minorities cause the issues in any society, take yourself of to a concert, a walk, a festival, go swimming, play bat and ball with the kids in the park, do charity work and generally just enjoy life, it is very short and certainly too short to spread unhappiness about fractiousness.

That's all very lovely but misses the point completely.

You or anyone else having a nice day out doesn't help other people who are suffering because of the policies of several governments around the globe.

Telling someone living on the street here, broke and struggling to pay their way, or being bombed out of their home in another part of the world to cheer up because it's a lovely day doesn't really cut it.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2022 19:28]

First Brexit now immigration on 19:55 - Jun 14 with 1514 viewsIcantbelieveyousaidt

First Brexit now immigration on 19:25 - Jun 14 by jeera

That's all very lovely but misses the point completely.

You or anyone else having a nice day out doesn't help other people who are suffering because of the policies of several governments around the globe.

Telling someone living on the street here, broke and struggling to pay their way, or being bombed out of their home in another part of the world to cheer up because it's a lovely day doesn't really cut it.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2022 19:28]

It misses no point at all; I make no apologies for 'sticking' to the thread which had nothing to do with war torn nations. We are ALL able to do something for those less fortunate than ourselves. This country contains millions of folk who daily help others to have better lives. It is far more rewarding than spending hours on social media.
Spread a little happiness, smile, don't growl, show humility at all times, be respectful of others opinions and above all base your opinions on real life experiences .
It is so easy to spread happiness and give to others.
As for you going 'off thread' and mentioning worth torn nations it is so easy to help; the Salvation Army will be glad of your donation, however small - it is a direct way to help. You might of course do that kind of thing anyway in which case you join the many.
I am leaving now - football to watch....
First Brexit now immigration on 19:57 - Jun 14 with 1505 viewsMullet

First Brexit now immigration on 19:14 - Jun 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

The country has been divided for as long as I can recall, all the way back to the 70's. But it wasn't black and white before like it is now, there were a plethora of different shades of grey in between the two.

It's more the old media and the social fkers with loads of money to lose and an interest in continually scraping it upwards.

Unfortunately our history means we often confuse tradition with antiquated. Hence the decades of "Victorian values" and the like under these Tory bastards doing untold damage. I hope this latest iteration means they are broken up and never regain power.

Brexit has set us back in every demonstrable way.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

First Brexit now immigration on 20:06 - Jun 14 with 1489 viewsjeera

First Brexit now immigration on 19:55 - Jun 14 by Icantbelieveyousaidt

It misses no point at all; I make no apologies for 'sticking' to the thread which had nothing to do with war torn nations. We are ALL able to do something for those less fortunate than ourselves. This country contains millions of folk who daily help others to have better lives. It is far more rewarding than spending hours on social media.
Spread a little happiness, smile, don't growl, show humility at all times, be respectful of others opinions and above all base your opinions on real life experiences .
It is so easy to spread happiness and give to others.
As for you going 'off thread' and mentioning worth torn nations it is so easy to help; the Salvation Army will be glad of your donation, however small - it is a direct way to help. You might of course do that kind of thing anyway in which case you join the many.
I am leaving now - football to watch....

I haven't gone 'off thread' at all, quite the opposite.

The point of the OP is about how the country is divided over its governmental policies, which right now largely consists of immigration. It's even got the sodding word immigration in its title. You have posted about your jolly up as a distraction from that.

Sorry you're not interested in the misfortune of other people, including our own living on the street. You can see how it's divisive when some of you don't give a sh1t about anyone but yourself.

Probably not the thread for you then. Enjoy the game. We're fecking losing already.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2022 20:09]

First Brexit now immigration on 20:19 - Jun 14 with 1459 viewsIcantbelieveyousaidt

First Brexit now immigration on 20:06 - Jun 14 by jeera

The point of the OP is about how the country is divided over its governmental policies, which right now largely consists of immigration. It's even got the sodding word immigration in its title. You have posted about your jolly up as a distraction from that.

Sorry you're not interested in the misfortune of other people, including our own living on the street. You can see how it's divisive when some of you don't give a sh1t about anyone but yourself.

Probably not the thread for you then. Enjoy the game. We're fecking losing already.

'Sorry you're not interested in the misfortune of other people, including our own living on the street'
I will put my voluntary work for those less fortunate than myself against yours anytime. As usual you want a 'war' of words - little wonder that nations do not get on. Jeera, I challenge you with £50 to a charity of your choice, to prove that I do not care about the misfortune of other people and only care about myself. The condition of course is that you must contribute £50 to the charity of my choice when you are proved wrong. The charity is Sue Ryder.
Try being civil and accepting of others opinions......
First Brexit now immigration on 20:27 - Jun 14 with 1450 viewsWacko

First Brexit now immigration on 19:14 - Jun 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

Well said. But there are also lots of old fkers on this very messageboard guilty of your last point.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2022 20:28]

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

First Brexit now immigration on 20:28 - Jun 14 with 1438 viewsCrawfordsboot

This Govts pandering to populist beliefs, and/or outrageous attempts to divert attention from Johnson are depressing. As others on here note there is a huge well of compassion amongst the Uk population for the disadvantaged and refugees etc. At the same time it has to be acknowledged that amongst a significant portion of society there is fear of the unknown. Fear that immigrants will be a burden on the state or will steal their jobs. This fear needs to be addressed with the facts. Unfortunately our press feed the flames and fears at every turn.

We have a shortage of workers, particularly for some of the jobs our own populace are either not keen to take on, or are I’ll equipped to take on. Also we have a need for young tax paying workers who will help pay for/provide for the needs of what is a fast ageing population.

At the same time this Govt takes every opportunity to stop illegal immigrants and almost any immigrants of colour from entering the UK. This sort of immigration is presented as a significant problem for the UK.

Why oh why doesn’t the Govt see all this as an opportunity. They could designate a range of jobs (NHS, careworkers, dentists, service industry, agriculture, slaughterhouse work, etc.) and allocate each of them a significant number of say 3 year work visas. They could allow potential immigrants to apply for the visas, making it easy to do via the internet from almost any remote location, even setting up application hubs at key points such as Calais.

The visas could be pre approved and printed off remotely with individuals required to provide biometric ID on arrival via the sponsoring employers.

Then after 3 years if the worker had worked legally and paid the appropriate taxes they should in return be guaranteed permanent residence.

Such an approach would help ease the labour problems, it would add to the pool of young workers needed to fund our ageing population and at the same time it could greatly ease the pressure of illegal immigrants risking life and limb for a new life.

It would not solve all problems but would surely be a more intelligent and humane response to the issues we face.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2022 21:32]
First Brexit now immigration on 20:36 - Jun 14 with 1410 viewskeighleyblue

maybe, just maybe, the two things are connected...
First Brexit now immigration on 20:36 - Jun 14 with 1416 viewsEpiphone

It appears the European Court of Human Rights is stepping in proving that Brexit doesn’t in fact mean Brexit and Boris failed to get it done!
First Brexit now immigration on 20:41 - Jun 14 with 1390 viewsEwan_Oozami

Thank you Pangloss, you were doing quite well until.."Minorities cause the issues in any society".......

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

First Brexit now immigration on 20:45 - Jun 14 with 1364 viewsitfc_bucks

First Brexit now immigration on 20:36 - Jun 14 by Epiphone

It appears the European Court of Human Rights is stepping in proving that Brexit doesn’t in fact mean Brexit and Boris failed to get it done!

I'm prepared to be whooshed here, but you *must* know that the ECHR is totally separate from the EU?

Surely?

Nobody is *still* that ignorant... Are they?
First Brexit now immigration on 20:45 - Jun 14 with 1355 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone who thinks they control their own destiny is up for a massive shock (or pleasant surprise) at some point. To link it back to the topic, I thought I’d crafted myself a nice little niche in supporting European funded projects and was able to pull together teams from around the EU and beyond and build links and legacy across the region. I didn’t have much control over how that ended, how I lost my job and how bright young thinks we’d spent years developing moved away to other more collaborative countries (that’s not to say we don’t still collaborate of course, just the scale and nature of it is vastly different now).

Destiny by definition takes control away from the individual!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

First Brexit now immigration on 21:19 - Jun 14 with 1264 viewsLord_Lucan

First Brexit now immigration on 20:41 - Jun 14 by Ewan_Oozami

Thank you Pangloss, you were doing quite well until.."Minorities cause the issues in any society".......

As far as I can see, he wasn’t talking about “minorities” as in non white tanned folk but minorities as is stupid arses that try and win the internet and make themselves look as cool as feck.

Of course I stand to be corrected.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

First Brexit now immigration on 21:24 - Jun 14 with 1237 viewswaveneyblue

Bloody brilliant words 👏
First Brexit now immigration on 21:27 - Jun 14 with 1225 viewswaveneyblue

First Brexit now immigration on 20:06 - Jun 14 by jeera

And here we are again on TWTD

Lord Jeera takes centre stage..... deciding how people think and telling them.

Glorious stuff
First Brexit now immigration on 21:29 - Jun 14 with 1215 viewswaveneyblue

First Brexit now immigration on 21:19 - Jun 14 by Lord_Lucan

As far as I can see, he wasn’t talking about “minorities” as in non white tanned folk but minorities as is stupid arses that try and win the internet and make themselves look as cool as feck.

Of course I stand to be corrected.

Bravo sir 👏
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024