Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Celina 22:02 - Jun 16 with 6065 viewsStu_boy

Honest question is he really as good as we make him out to be? Everyone can see he has magical moments and play great passes at times. Equally though he seems to vanish from games and make little impact. When we initially brought him in on loan under mick, the team was pretty dire for championship standards due to years of under investment so we clung onto anything inspiring who could offer a glimpse of attacking flair. Due to that i think he's got through last season on that odd magical moment. However, if we are to really push on we need someone a whole lot more consistent. What are your oppinions?
Celina on 22:07 - Jun 16 with 3480 viewsVeggie

Just questioned the same thing on another thread. Sure he’s a good player, but is he worth the money he’s being paid? I would say no.
Celina on 22:13 - Jun 16 with 3443 viewsmonty_radio

He is capable of doing things (THAT goal is a supreme example) of which most players in the Championship, let alone L1, can only dream.

But we had a player here back in the day, Stuart Slater, who, at that time was in the Guinness Book of Records as holder of the Keepie-Uppie record. He's not a name that you'll see appearing in any of the E.A.D.T. "my favourite team" features.

Celina is not a one-trick-pony. Nevertheless, he needs to do more of the stuff that the average donkey is expected to get through.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Celina on 22:23 - Jun 16 with 3403 viewsStokieBlue

The myth of the inconsistent Celina goes from strength to strength.

It's pointless even going through it anymore.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Celina on 22:24 - Jun 16 with 3380 viewswkj

No Bersant, No Party

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Celina on 22:25 - Jun 16 with 3370 viewswhymark4lazio0

I think you're a bit harsh

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/ipswich-town/top-scorers/assists

League Stats

Equal top for assists
4th top goalscorer

32 appearances (including 9 as sub)

When he first rejoined he was recovering from heart complications from COVID

Celina Sidelined With Covid-Related Heart Problem 31st Jul 2021 19:52
Blues target Bersant Celina is sidelined with heart complications related to Covid-19. 14

Poll: Should these Polls show number of votes as well as percentages?

Celina on 22:26 - Jun 16 with 3376 viewsKropotkin123

Celina on 22:23 - Jun 16 by StokieBlue

The myth of the inconsistent Celina goes from strength to strength.

It's pointless even going through it anymore.

SB

To support your statement...

Twine had one of the best returns in the league. 46 games, 20 goals, 13 assists.

Celina played 23 games, 6 goals, 6 assists. Across 23 games, Twine would be 10, 6. Not too dissimilar.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Celina on 22:31 - Jun 16 with 3325 viewsjayessess

Attacking midfielders are going to have quiet games, it's in the nature of the position. Ultimately Celina contributed a goal or an assist once every 177 minutes, all of them from open play. Players who directly contribute to a goal every other game are very difficult to find,

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Celina on 22:32 - Jun 16 with 3324 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Having a player like Celina in the team in L1 is almost like cheating ..... ergo we keep him if we can.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Login to get fewer ads

Celina on 22:36 - Jun 16 with 3312 viewsStokieBlue

Celina on 22:26 - Jun 16 by Kropotkin123

Twine had one of the best returns in the league. 46 games, 20 goals, 13 assists.

Celina played 23 games, 6 goals, 6 assists. Across 23 games, Twine would be 10, 6. Not too dissimilar.

It's also worth noting that Celina isn't actually fully in control of his assist stats.

I lost count of the number of times he put it on a plate only for our front line to fluff it. That context is entirely missed by many.

I hope he is here next season.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Celina on 22:42 - Jun 16 with 3290 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Ashton and McKenna will be streets ahead of us on here. They will know exactly what Santi brings, and what he is worth to us. They will know the alternatives. They know the lift he gives the fans. They know Santi wants to play in front of ITFC fans every week. All this will be taken into account, and either they will agree to bring him back permanently on a deal that is in the best interests of ITFC, or they will have someone else who can replace him who is better value for money. In other words, don't worry - they know what they are doing.

Poll: would you rather

Celina on 23:23 - Jun 16 with 3184 viewsChrisd

Don’t sub appearances count? When you look at the stats from last season, Celina was involved in 32 league games. I’d like to see a breakdown of those stats to show greater clarity.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Celina on 23:47 - Jun 16 with 3113 viewsKropotkin123

Celina on 23:23 - Jun 16 by Chrisd

Don’t sub appearances count? When you look at the stats from last season, Celina was involved in 32 league games. I’d like to see a breakdown of those stats to show greater clarity.

2131 mins Vs 4066 mins
Goal every 355 vs 203
Assist every 355 Vs 312

You're welcome to break them down further. But the key thing is how you choose to interpret the stats.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.

Celina on 23:57 - Jun 16 with 3095 viewsSwansea_Blue

This is exactly the same question that has been asked at every club he’s been at (and why he spent last season in L1). There are some great parts to his game, but something’s missing. His shortcomings are nowhere near as bad as someone’s like JET though, but they’re still there.

That’s not a dig as I like him because he can make things happen. And can do things on the pitch few other people can. Take his chipped gosl this season for example. That could well be one of the best individual goals scored in this league. But you don’t get consistent end product from him (edit - it’s good but others do better, otherwise he’d still be in the PL or a top Championship side).
[Post edited 17 Jun 2022 0:08]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Celina on 01:31 - Jun 17 with 3004 viewsGuthrum

He might be worth 10 to 15 points next season (similar to the last one). Maybe more if things click with the strikers. Could be vital in determining where we finish.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Celina on 02:59 - Jun 17 with 2955 viewsfranz_tyson

Celina on 23:57 - Jun 16 by Swansea_Blue

This is exactly the same question that has been asked at every club he’s been at (and why he spent last season in L1). There are some great parts to his game, but something’s missing. His shortcomings are nowhere near as bad as someone’s like JET though, but they’re still there.

That’s not a dig as I like him because he can make things happen. And can do things on the pitch few other people can. Take his chipped gosl this season for example. That could well be one of the best individual goals scored in this league. But you don’t get consistent end product from him (edit - it’s good but others do better, otherwise he’d still be in the PL or a top Championship side).

Agree with this. Some are getting too wrapped up with stats.... and interpreting them how they want. Bottom line is.... he wasn't as good as we anticipated or paid good for. The reason he didn't get the game time was because he wasn't as effective or consistent as expected. If he was as good as some make out .... he'd be first name on the team sheet. I didn't feel the disbelief when he was benched as often happened.because you never knew what to expect from him. I'd put Walton, Donacien, Woolf, Edmundson, Burns, Morsy and maybe even Chaplin as more important players than him. Yet he was our marquee signing.
And yet he's incredibly talented - but why is he playing in league one? Don't think it's solely because of his love for this club and doing us a favour by dropping down- it's that he hasn't yet managed to harness all his talent into consistent performances that would make him a genuine PL/Championship player.
I just want to get out of this league. I doubt if both Wigan and Rotherham had a player as talented as Celina, yet they left us for dead last season. I'd rather we spent our budget on players who can get us out of this league rather than someone who will mainly contribute to a highlight best moments video.
For what we paid on wages- did we get enough? Even his biggest fans infer he wasn't good enough as they're saying all he needs is a good pre-season and that, for me, is admitting there should have been more to come.
Celina on 03:03 - Jun 17 with 2903 viewsHighgateBlue

I am a big Celina fan and I think we should try very hard to retain him.

But Twine's goal ratio is miles better. To suggest otherwise is either mathematically illiterate or just crazy wishful thinking....
Celina on 04:24 - Jun 17 with 2817 viewsKropotkin123

Celina on 03:03 - Jun 17 by HighgateBlue

I am a big Celina fan and I think we should try very hard to retain him.

But Twine's goal ratio is miles better. To suggest otherwise is either mathematically illiterate or just crazy wishful thinking....

Good job I didn't suggest otherwise then, I'd look stupid if I did that.

What I did do is select the person I thought had the statistically best season in the division (Twine) and place Celina's stats in that context.

The purpose, as I clearly stated, was to statistically support an objection to "the myth of the inconsistent Celina".

Celina on 06:22 - Jun 17 with 2701 viewsLeoMuff

Celina on 22:25 - Jun 16 by whymark4lazio0

I think you're a bit harsh

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/ipswich-town/top-scorers/assists

League Stats

Equal top for assists
4th top goalscorer

32 appearances (including 9 as sub)

When he first rejoined he was recovering from heart complications from COVID

Celina Sidelined With Covid-Related Heart Problem 31st Jul 2021 19:52
Blues target Bersant Celina is sidelined with heart complications related to Covid-19. 14

I wonder if that was the reason we could get him, if he has a full pre season he will be on fire in league 1

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Celina on 06:50 - Jun 17 with 2655 viewsOwainG1992

Celina on 23:47 - Jun 16 by Kropotkin123

2131 mins Vs 4066 mins
Goal every 355 vs 203
Assist every 355 Vs 312

You're welcome to break them down further. But the key thing is how you choose to interpret the stats.

So Twine is a better option?

He's the one I was desperate for us to go for last summer.

Too late now but if he joins a higher level club I like to think it won't be Hull.

That being said I'd be more than happily surprised if Celina returns.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2022 7:07]

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Celina on 07:39 - Jun 17 with 2531 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Celina on 23:57 - Jun 16 by Swansea_Blue

Exactly my observations from the Cobbold stand. But science/stats or something!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Celina on 08:07 - Jun 17 with 2475 viewsjayessess

Celina on 02:59 - Jun 17 by franz_tyson

Agree with this. Some are getting too wrapped up with stats.... and interpreting them how they want. Bottom line is.... he wasn't as good as we anticipated or paid good for. The reason he didn't get the game time was because he wasn't as effective or consistent as expected. If he was as good as some make out .... he'd be first name on the team sheet. I didn't feel the disbelief when he was benched as often happened.because you never knew what to expect from him. I'd put Walton, Donacien, Woolf, Edmundson, Burns, Morsy and maybe even Chaplin as more important players than him. Yet he was our marquee signing.
And yet he's incredibly talented - but why is he playing in league one? Don't think it's solely because of his love for this club and doing us a favour by dropping down- it's that he hasn't yet managed to harness all his talent into consistent performances that would make him a genuine PL/Championship player.
I just want to get out of this league. I doubt if both Wigan and Rotherham had a player as talented as Celina, yet they left us for dead last season. I'd rather we spent our budget on players who can get us out of this league rather than someone who will mainly contribute to a highlight best moments video.
For what we paid on wages- did we get enough? Even his biggest fans infer he wasn't good enough as they're saying all he needs is a good pre-season and that, for me, is admitting there should have been more to come.

I don't think Celina had a perfect season by any means, I just think people are massively overestimating what level of consistency and involvement you're going to get from an attacking midfielder.

You're going to have games where your 10 doesn't get in the game very much, where they can't get the ball in areas where they hurt the opposition (because collectively we're not moving the ball in ways that find them space or because the opposition defend them well). You're going to have games where they try stuff that doesn't come off (because they're trying to do the hardest thing for a footballer to do, the final ball). You're just not going to find a 10 for whom that isn't the case, not even Twine!

If we go out and get an attacking midfielder who makes a direct, concrete contribution from open play as often as Celina did this season, we'll have done really good work.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Celina on 08:18 - Jun 17 with 2424 viewsnodge_blue

Scored two of the best goals I've ever seen at PR. Super talented. Could do with a bit more strength, and a yard of extra pace.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Celina on 08:23 - Jun 17 with 2400 viewsFrimleyBlue

Celina on 08:07 - Jun 17 by jayessess

I don't think Celina had a perfect season by any means, I just think people are massively overestimating what level of consistency and involvement you're going to get from an attacking midfielder.

You're going to have games where your 10 doesn't get in the game very much, where they can't get the ball in areas where they hurt the opposition (because collectively we're not moving the ball in ways that find them space or because the opposition defend them well). You're going to have games where they try stuff that doesn't come off (because they're trying to do the hardest thing for a footballer to do, the final ball). You're just not going to find a 10 for whom that isn't the case, not even Twine!

If we go out and get an attacking midfielder who makes a direct, concrete contribution from open play as often as Celina did this season, we'll have done really good work.

Problem is, it all depends what it is that you are looking for from him. yes if more goals were scored from others his assist stats would be better, but tbh I can ignore assist stats as it relies on others.

But Whilst Celina can score a worldie, he scored 5 goals since November 1st. in an advanced position across 26 games.

In a position which PC & then KM have both said goals are the most important attribute needed in that position. IMO Celina didn't contribute enough in this specific area for us to be bending over backwards to sign him.

That being said, it doesn't mean I wouldn't want to see him return, BUT I'm still not sure KM will go for him.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Celina on 08:24 - Jun 17 with 2394 viewsChrisd

Celina on 02:59 - Jun 17 by franz_tyson

My thoughts too.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Celina on 08:29 - Jun 17 with 2351 viewsitfcjoe

He's a clear cut above in League 1, and probably there isn't a Championship squad he wouldn't add real value to.

If we can get him in, and get a full pre season into him he'll be the best player in the league.

I really hope we sign him, but we'll see how it plays out

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024