Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wrestling 08:06 - Jun 17 with 788 viewsRobTheMonk

Madge and I have started watching AEW on ITV4. We needed something easy to watch when feeding the twins so stuck it on one night. It's the most fun I've had watching wrestling since WWE went all PG.

Yes, it's daft athletic pantomime, but when done right, it's good fun.

Nostalgia overload perhaps as I grew up with the attitude era and a beer-drinking Stone Cold Steve Austin in his prime haha!
Wrestling on 10:52 - Jun 17 with 698 viewsBonneNIL

AEW isn't as strong as WWE in my opinion, it's very much less based on wrestling and more on cool moves and big groups of wrestlers interrupting everything. WWE has a stacked top card right now in Reigns, Lashley, Oron, Edge, AJ Styles, Rollins, Owners, and co. AEW is mostly unknown and a lot of really old ex-WWE guys. I see that Daniel Bryan and CM Punk are already injured in AEW, and Jeff Hardy has ended up in prison.

Fun fact, Vince McMahon is just about to be embroiled in a Weinstein-Esque sex scandal, so he's probably done for.

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

Wrestling on 11:02 - Jun 17 with 691 viewsEddyJ

Wrestling on 10:52 - Jun 17 by BonneNIL

AEW isn't as strong as WWE in my opinion, it's very much less based on wrestling and more on cool moves and big groups of wrestlers interrupting everything. WWE has a stacked top card right now in Reigns, Lashley, Oron, Edge, AJ Styles, Rollins, Owners, and co. AEW is mostly unknown and a lot of really old ex-WWE guys. I see that Daniel Bryan and CM Punk are already injured in AEW, and Jeff Hardy has ended up in prison.

Fun fact, Vince McMahon is just about to be embroiled in a Weinstein-Esque sex scandal, so he's probably done for.

Interesting... I'd argue WWE is as devoid of top talent as they have been since the mid-90s.

Reigns is their only real star and he is moving to a part-time role. Brock Lesnar has been their other genuine star and he has been AWOL for several months.

Edge, Styles, Owens and Rollins all have some star-power but more as feud material for the top stars than stars in their own right. Cody is probably in this category, but is long-term injured.

Lashley and McIntyre have never struck me as anything more than mid-carders. Neither has the charisma to be a genuine main-eventer.

Even their legends, who have been used to plug the gaps in the main event scene are getting too old to wrestle. I doubt we will see much more of Undertaker, Kane, Goldberg (and given their in ring ability these days, I hope we don't).

Top stars like Daniel Bryan, Dean Ambrose, Bray Wyatt have all gone recently. Braun Strowman was misused and then released. Other potential stars like Keith Lee were released before they got anywhere near the top of the card.

It feels like WWE is in a holding pattern until the next generation are main-event ready. People like Austin Theory and Bron Breakker.
Wrestling on 11:08 - Jun 17 with 671 viewsRobTheMonk

Haha, didn't know that about Vince, but hardly surprising. Wouldn't be surprised if Trish Stratus had something to say about it.

I think AEW is a more of a mix. It's got the who crazy luchadore style flipping around, but they have some good technicians in their roster. Sure you have some old WWE guys, but there's guys like MJF who is in one the most interesting 'did he just say that' storylines since CM Punk's pipebomb.

Competition is good though. I prefer the higher energy of AEW. It feels like it sits somewhere between WCW and ECW which is no bad thing if they can keep their finances in check.
Wrestling on 11:09 - Jun 17 with 669 viewsEddyJ

The Vince McMahon scandal is going to be interesting.

On the one hand, he is CEO of a public company and should not be able to survive allegations of sexual misconduct.

On the other hand, he has weathered worse storms before. This is a CEO who has said the N word on live TV (albeit in character), who had the steroid scandal of the 90s, and numerous other things not listed. He also has a controlling stake in the company, so in theory can vote to keep himself in position.

The other interesting aspect is Stephanie McMahon's "time away". When it was announced, it looked like she was being pushed out by Nick Khan. Perhaps, she was actually being shielded from any scandal and when Vince is kicked out, she can step in as CEO.

I ultimately expect John Laurinaitis will be scapegoated and Vince will survive.
Wrestling on 11:10 - Jun 17 with 667 viewsBonneNIL

Wrestling on 11:02 - Jun 17 by EddyJ

Interesting... I'd argue WWE is as devoid of top talent as they have been since the mid-90s.

Reigns is their only real star and he is moving to a part-time role. Brock Lesnar has been their other genuine star and he has been AWOL for several months.

Edge, Styles, Owens and Rollins all have some star-power but more as feud material for the top stars than stars in their own right. Cody is probably in this category, but is long-term injured.

Lashley and McIntyre have never struck me as anything more than mid-carders. Neither has the charisma to be a genuine main-eventer.

Even their legends, who have been used to plug the gaps in the main event scene are getting too old to wrestle. I doubt we will see much more of Undertaker, Kane, Goldberg (and given their in ring ability these days, I hope we don't).

Top stars like Daniel Bryan, Dean Ambrose, Bray Wyatt have all gone recently. Braun Strowman was misused and then released. Other potential stars like Keith Lee were released before they got anywhere near the top of the card.

It feels like WWE is in a holding pattern until the next generation are main-event ready. People like Austin Theory and Bron Breakker.

WWE always gets held up as being bad at the time, but then when people look back it's always remembered fondly. I can remember people absolutely slating what people call the Ruthless Aggression era at the time, and now that's worshipped. WWE has too many wrestlers and TV shows, it was easier to follow when there weren't 3 brands with 100 people on them. AEW has this same problem, they sign everyone. ROH was my preference, however, that also got bought by AEW....

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

Wrestling on 11:11 - Jun 17 with 662 viewsRobTheMonk

Wrestling on 11:02 - Jun 17 by EddyJ

Undertaker vs Goldberg was horrible to watch. As was that tag match with Kane, HHH and HBK. His body is utterly fudged and he shouldn't go anywhere near a ring again. Let the legend live on. I kind of wish his WrestleMania streak had never ended too.
Wrestling on 11:27 - Jun 17 with 640 viewsEddyJ

Wrestling on 11:10 - Jun 17 by BonneNIL

WWE always gets held up as being bad at the time, but then when people look back it's always remembered fondly. I can remember people absolutely slating what people call the Ruthless Aggression era at the time, and now that's worshipped. WWE has too many wrestlers and TV shows, it was easier to follow when there weren't 3 brands with 100 people on them. AEW has this same problem, they sign everyone. ROH was my preference, however, that also got bought by AEW....

Since about 2011, not much has been remembered fondly at all. Perhaps that will change with hindsight. So few moments stand out. Reigns is no Cena, Austin/Rock, Hulk Hogan or even Bret/Shawn. The PG rating has killed any drama (whilst undoubtedly improving the wrestlers' well-being).

If I was in charge of WWE and money/appeasing shareholders was not a factor, I'd reduce the roster to around 40-50 and move to a single 2-hour TV show each week and around six 3-hour PPVs per year. That would allow them to focus on characters and storylines more and to make something that felt unique and crafted, rather than filler.

That won't happen because they are making too much from TV contracts and Saudi Arabia. AEW had the chance to do this, but they seem hell-bent on competing with WWE, making as much content as humanly possible and hoovering up any available talent.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2022 11:28]
Wrestling on 11:30 - Jun 17 with 628 viewsRobTheMonk

Wrestling on 11:27 - Jun 17 by EddyJ

Since about 2011, not much has been remembered fondly at all. Perhaps that will change with hindsight. So few moments stand out. Reigns is no Cena, Austin/Rock, Hulk Hogan or even Bret/Shawn. The PG rating has killed any drama (whilst undoubtedly improving the wrestlers' well-being).

If I was in charge of WWE and money/appeasing shareholders was not a factor, I'd reduce the roster to around 40-50 and move to a single 2-hour TV show each week and around six 3-hour PPVs per year. That would allow them to focus on characters and storylines more and to make something that felt unique and crafted, rather than filler.

That won't happen because they are making too much from TV contracts and Saudi Arabia. AEW had the chance to do this, but they seem hell-bent on competing with WWE, making as much content as humanly possible and hoovering up any available talent.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2022 11:28]

Raw and Smackdown with one monthly PPV is what I grew up with. Then the PPV's started going on Box Office rather than Sky Sports and it became less affordable to watch everything. Think I stopped watching around 2008'ish as everything seemed to be directed at the young teen audience.

4-6 PPV's would be good. I think AEW has around that number at present? But even they have Dynamite, Rampage and some other shows which have the lesser known guys and gals on.
Login to get fewer ads

Wrestling on 11:53 - Jun 17 with 594 viewsJ2BLUE

I read the results each week more out of habit than anything but don’t watch anymore. Occasionally there is something that intrigued me enough to watch 2-3 minutes of highlights on YouTube.

Not convinced by Tony Khan’s long term management ability. The signing of Paul Wight is one I just don’t understand. Does anyone, ANYONE, want to see him wrestle again?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Wrestling on 12:58 - Jun 17 with 538 viewsEddyJ

Wrestling on 11:09 - Jun 17 by EddyJ

The Vince McMahon scandal is going to be interesting.

On the one hand, he is CEO of a public company and should not be able to survive allegations of sexual misconduct.

On the other hand, he has weathered worse storms before. This is a CEO who has said the N word on live TV (albeit in character), who had the steroid scandal of the 90s, and numerous other things not listed. He also has a controlling stake in the company, so in theory can vote to keep himself in position.

The other interesting aspect is Stephanie McMahon's "time away". When it was announced, it looked like she was being pushed out by Nick Khan. Perhaps, she was actually being shielded from any scandal and when Vince is kicked out, she can step in as CEO.

I ultimately expect John Laurinaitis will be scapegoated and Vince will survive.

And here we go...

https://www.sescoops.com/news/vince-mcmahon-steps-down-stephanie-interim-ceo/
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024