Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? 11:26 - Jun 17 with 1490 viewsmonty_radio

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61477784

Along with any other team who's made the Prem while not rising from Northern professionalism e.g. Spurs - And virtually any team who's made the Prem while not having been among the original 12 founders.

Luton manager talks of nearly making it from non-league to top league in 8 seasons. But Town made it to champions in 17 seasons. So there's your challenge Nathan if your aim extends beyond participation.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 11:34 - Jun 17 with 1443 viewsSwailsey

Whilst I get your point, it’s very different times now isn’t it - and the disparity between all leagues has never been bigger.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 11:40 - Jun 17 with 1416 viewsChrisd

I'd love to be in Luton's position, believing that they could be genuine Championship promotion contenders next season. For all the encouraging things happening at our club, we are still trying to prove that we are serious promotion contenders in L1 after 3 seasons of trying. People in glass houses and all that.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2022 11:42]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 11:54 - Jun 17 with 1330 viewsmonty_radio

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 11:34 - Jun 17 by Swailsey

Whilst I get your point, it’s very different times now isn’t it - and the disparity between all leagues has never been bigger.

No- I don't think it is, regarding Town's achievement under Ramsey, who were universally tipped as relegation certainties with a bunch of journeymen, never had-beens and Ray Crawford.

Luton have spent frugally, but they have spent.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2022 11:55]

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 12:20 - Jun 17 with 1259 viewsmonty_radio

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 11:40 - Jun 17 by Chrisd

I'd love to be in Luton's position, believing that they could be genuine Championship promotion contenders next season. For all the encouraging things happening at our club, we are still trying to prove that we are serious promotion contenders in L1 after 3 seasons of trying. People in glass houses and all that.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2022 11:42]

Not throwing stones - it was the Luton boss who talked about "the greatest story". Being one league behind at the moment (or in front of them) is irrelevant to today's tendency to big up present times beyond its significance.

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 12:35 - Jun 17 with 1228 viewsChrisd

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 12:20 - Jun 17 by monty_radio

Not throwing stones - it was the Luton boss who talked about "the greatest story". Being one league behind at the moment (or in front of them) is irrelevant to today's tendency to big up present times beyond its significance.

Still a great effort by Luton to come from where they were in Non League football, it is a great story. I beg to differ, the fact we are 1 league behind them is relevant especially with the difference in quality between L1 and the Championship due to the EPL parachute payments the gap couldn't be wider between those two leagues. As promoted sides from L1 have found out to their cost over recent seasons, it is a big step up.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 12:51 - Jun 17 with 1181 viewsmonty_radio

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 12:35 - Jun 17 by Chrisd

Still a great effort by Luton to come from where they were in Non League football, it is a great story. I beg to differ, the fact we are 1 league behind them is relevant especially with the difference in quality between L1 and the Championship due to the EPL parachute payments the gap couldn't be wider between those two leagues. As promoted sides from L1 have found out to their cost over recent seasons, it is a big step up.

Didn't deny "great effort", just "greatest story ever told". It's only "relevant" to some different post about Luton and us now, not to my O.P. regarding their own claims of what they had achieved - which is solid second tier status - nothing less or more, and not something to be pored over sixty years hence. Good luck to them - but it's a minor story in the annals of football history.

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 13:13 - Jun 17 with 1131 viewsSTYG

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 12:20 - Jun 17 by monty_radio

What Luton have done is remarkable. Year on year improvement I think as well isn't in terms of league position.

To go from the middle of the 5th tier to almost the 1st tier in 8 seasons is ridiculous, especially when they are an average League One side in terms of support base, so whilst they were a big Conference side, they aren't so big that it felt inevitable they'd rise back up again. Look at Notts County, top flight same time as Luton and not even back in the league yet.

Furthermore, in the days of free agents, one year contracts in the lower leagues and the need to keep replacing players, to get it right so often, have players that can play in the 5th and 2nd tier for the same side, it's very hard to achieve.

What we did was great but it was so much easier. Teams could go up and win the league the next year. Derby did. Forest did. If you got the right manager with the right tactics and got a few signings right in that 12-14 man squad then things could happen. Nowadays when even Conference teams can have 20-25 players all expecting to play, youths coming through, journeymen, people paid enough money that they can play anywhere in the country, UK and so on, it's much harder to do what they've done.

Luton is one of the worst places I have ever been too. Absolutely terrible place. But the club itself at the moment is very likable. They even refused betting companies as well and believe they do a lot of community work with LGBTQ+ charities and also a lot in the local Muslim community and anti-racism stuff.

Nathan Jones has done an incredible job too, even if he's fast becoming really unlikeable.
Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 14:03 - Jun 17 with 1054 viewsVic

It’s a great story - kudos to them. If it was us we’d be pretty happy. Let them have thier moment in the sun - in a few years time it will be our rise to Prem stability that the BBC will be highlighting. Just like the season after we finished 5th. That ended well didn’t it!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Login to get fewer ads

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 14:05 - Jun 17 with 1049 viewsmonty_radio

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 13:13 - Jun 17 by STYG

What Luton have done is remarkable. Year on year improvement I think as well isn't in terms of league position.

To go from the middle of the 5th tier to almost the 1st tier in 8 seasons is ridiculous, especially when they are an average League One side in terms of support base, so whilst they were a big Conference side, they aren't so big that it felt inevitable they'd rise back up again. Look at Notts County, top flight same time as Luton and not even back in the league yet.

Furthermore, in the days of free agents, one year contracts in the lower leagues and the need to keep replacing players, to get it right so often, have players that can play in the 5th and 2nd tier for the same side, it's very hard to achieve.

What we did was great but it was so much easier. Teams could go up and win the league the next year. Derby did. Forest did. If you got the right manager with the right tactics and got a few signings right in that 12-14 man squad then things could happen. Nowadays when even Conference teams can have 20-25 players all expecting to play, youths coming through, journeymen, people paid enough money that they can play anywhere in the country, UK and so on, it's much harder to do what they've done.

Luton is one of the worst places I have ever been too. Absolutely terrible place. But the club itself at the moment is very likable. They even refused betting companies as well and believe they do a lot of community work with LGBTQ+ charities and also a lot in the local Muslim community and anti-racism stuff.

Nathan Jones has done an incredible job too, even if he's fast becoming really unlikeable.

Derby had been runners up in the top league 3 times long before what they did in the 70s. They were never Luton, and they certainly weren't us. If it was so much easier then, why is there no other team that actually managed to do what Ipswich did over the course of a mere 17 seasons of league history. Don't belittle our past by bigging up the present. Derby, in recent times, are actually a far better example of the fact that money isn't always the prime mover.

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 14:12 - Jun 17 with 1034 viewsSTYG

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 14:05 - Jun 17 by monty_radio

Derby had been runners up in the top league 3 times long before what they did in the 70s. They were never Luton, and they certainly weren't us. If it was so much easier then, why is there no other team that actually managed to do what Ipswich did over the course of a mere 17 seasons of league history. Don't belittle our past by bigging up the present. Derby, in recent times, are actually a far better example of the fact that money isn't always the prime mover.

17 years was a long time back then to go from an Amateur team to get elected into the league and then achieve two promotions. Obviously we then won the lot.

Not knocking our achievement. It was incredible. But times were very different back then, teams could sign a few good players nobody else had heard of, or scouted, or teams discarded prematurely and significantly improve overnight.

What we did going up and winning the title the next year was phenomenal. A large part of that was the tactical genius of Alf and teams not knowing what we'd do and how we'd cause them issues. That element of surprise or revolutionary tactic doesn't exist these days.

But almost 4 promotions in 8 seasons, for a club Luton's size, with yearly improvement over that time is frankly ridiculous.

You can admire our amazing achievement whilst also recognising what Luton have done, in modern football, is even more amazing.
Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 14:41 - Jun 17 with 974 viewschicoazul

Pretty good for a team who literally play in someone’s back garden.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 14:43 - Jun 17 with 976 viewsFtnfwest

great achievement - they went the other way in nearly as few years as well (probably more like 15 i should think)
Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 15:27 - Jun 17 with 912 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 14:12 - Jun 17 by STYG

17 years was a long time back then to go from an Amateur team to get elected into the league and then achieve two promotions. Obviously we then won the lot.

Not knocking our achievement. It was incredible. But times were very different back then, teams could sign a few good players nobody else had heard of, or scouted, or teams discarded prematurely and significantly improve overnight.

What we did going up and winning the title the next year was phenomenal. A large part of that was the tactical genius of Alf and teams not knowing what we'd do and how we'd cause them issues. That element of surprise or revolutionary tactic doesn't exist these days.

But almost 4 promotions in 8 seasons, for a club Luton's size, with yearly improvement over that time is frankly ridiculous.

You can admire our amazing achievement whilst also recognising what Luton have done, in modern football, is even more amazing.

‘Almost 4 promotions in 8 seasons’

So 3 then, and it’s actually 9 years - one less than Rotherham have had in that time

What an even more amazing achievement

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 15:37 - Jun 17 with 882 viewsSTYG

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 15:27 - Jun 17 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

‘Almost 4 promotions in 8 seasons’

So 3 then, and it’s actually 9 years - one less than Rotherham have had in that time

What an even more amazing achievement

What an childish response.

Rotherham have been promoted 3 times to the Championship and relegated twice.

Luton were a couple of games off going from the Premier League from the Conference in less than a decade. Whether it's 8 or 9 years. What does it matter.

For any club to improve it's league position 8 or 9 years in a row is incredibly good going. To go from non-league to almost reach the best division in world football is staggering when you consider the size of their club, fan base and limited resources.

Even last season, Luton and Huddersfield had spend something like £500k each on their squads whilst the likes of Fulham and Bournemouth were something like £120m and £80m.

Comparing a yo-yo club to one that's gone up three rungs of the pyramid from, let's not forget, a pretty rapid and shocking decline is even more impressive.

Hull, Brighton, Bournemouth and Swansea all rose from the fourth tier to the top one, impressive, but all had various levels of decent funding come in during that time, especially Bournemouth. Luton haven't had that and nearly went one better.

Yeovil equally impressively rose from Conference to Championship in quick time but never looked like going one better. That was phenomenal, but in your pedantic opinion less impressive that what Norwich have achieved going up and down?
Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 16:54 - Jun 17 with 776 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 15:37 - Jun 17 by STYG

What an childish response.

Rotherham have been promoted 3 times to the Championship and relegated twice.

Luton were a couple of games off going from the Premier League from the Conference in less than a decade. Whether it's 8 or 9 years. What does it matter.

For any club to improve it's league position 8 or 9 years in a row is incredibly good going. To go from non-league to almost reach the best division in world football is staggering when you consider the size of their club, fan base and limited resources.

Even last season, Luton and Huddersfield had spend something like £500k each on their squads whilst the likes of Fulham and Bournemouth were something like £120m and £80m.

Comparing a yo-yo club to one that's gone up three rungs of the pyramid from, let's not forget, a pretty rapid and shocking decline is even more impressive.

Hull, Brighton, Bournemouth and Swansea all rose from the fourth tier to the top one, impressive, but all had various levels of decent funding come in during that time, especially Bournemouth. Luton haven't had that and nearly went one better.

Yeovil equally impressively rose from Conference to Championship in quick time but never looked like going one better. That was phenomenal, but in your pedantic opinion less impressive that what Norwich have achieved going up and down?

What does it matter? Quite a lot seeing as you’re still trying to massage the numbers it seems - Rotherham have 4 actual promotions in the same period as Luton have had 3. I haven’t counted their ‘almost promotions’ though

Luton also haven’t actually improved their league position for every year during that span either

I don’t know why you’re implying I don’t think their rise is impressive, it clearly is. It’s just not one of the most remarkable achievements in football or whatever it was you called it earlier, and certainly not more impressive than going up and then winning the actual top division the next season

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 16:59 - Jun 17 with 770 viewsSTYG

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 16:54 - Jun 17 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

What does it matter? Quite a lot seeing as you’re still trying to massage the numbers it seems - Rotherham have 4 actual promotions in the same period as Luton have had 3. I haven’t counted their ‘almost promotions’ though

Luton also haven’t actually improved their league position for every year during that span either

I don’t know why you’re implying I don’t think their rise is impressive, it clearly is. It’s just not one of the most remarkable achievements in football or whatever it was you called it earlier, and certainly not more impressive than going up and then winning the actual top division the next season

So by your own logic, if we were betting on the horses and I turned £50 into £100 then £500 then £1000, it's not as impressive as if you turned your £50 into £100, lost £50, got back up to £100, lost £50, got back up to a £100, then lost £50 and got back to £100 again as you've had more wins that me?

Because 4 wins is better than 3? And of course Rotherham ending up a division higher after all this definitely equates to going up 3! Lol.

Okay mate!

And I still disagree. It was possible to build a team in the 1960's in the Second Division that could ride momentum and win the First Division the next season. That was still hard.

But a lot easier in my opinion than a club going from the middle of the Conference, off the back of years of serious decline, to the Championship playoffs in 9 years, in the massively disproportionate money distribution age the 2000's.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2022 17:02]
Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 17:16 - Jun 17 with 746 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 16:59 - Jun 17 by STYG

So by your own logic, if we were betting on the horses and I turned £50 into £100 then £500 then £1000, it's not as impressive as if you turned your £50 into £100, lost £50, got back up to £100, lost £50, got back up to a £100, then lost £50 and got back to £100 again as you've had more wins that me?

Because 4 wins is better than 3? And of course Rotherham ending up a division higher after all this definitely equates to going up 3! Lol.

Okay mate!

And I still disagree. It was possible to build a team in the 1960's in the Second Division that could ride momentum and win the First Division the next season. That was still hard.

But a lot easier in my opinion than a club going from the middle of the Conference, off the back of years of serious decline, to the Championship playoffs in 9 years, in the massively disproportionate money distribution age the 2000's.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2022 17:02]

No idea what your first parargraph is on about but appears to be arguing against some bizarre point I didn’t make. How much money did you nearly make?

Probably easier to just leave a few more stats than answer that waffle:

Number of teams to have won the top division immediately following promotion, in the history of the English game - 5 ‘Easy’

Number of teams to have won the top division in their first season in it, following promotion, in the history of the English game - 1 (not as impressive as nearly getting promoted)

Number of teams to have been promoted through 3 divisions in the last 22 years alone - at least 7, may have missed others (one of the greatest achievements ever ever ever)

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 17:27 - Jun 17 with 725 viewsSTYG

Luton Town as the greatest story -from non-league to Prem. Haven't we done that? on 17:16 - Jun 17 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

No idea what your first parargraph is on about but appears to be arguing against some bizarre point I didn’t make. How much money did you nearly make?

Probably easier to just leave a few more stats than answer that waffle:

Number of teams to have won the top division immediately following promotion, in the history of the English game - 5 ‘Easy’

Number of teams to have won the top division in their first season in it, following promotion, in the history of the English game - 1 (not as impressive as nearly getting promoted)

Number of teams to have been promoted through 3 divisions in the last 22 years alone - at least 7, may have missed others (one of the greatest achievements ever ever ever)

You're boring me now with your own distorted views.

Well done Bournemouth. Russian billionaire comes in and they go up 3 divisions. Great stuff.

I haven't said what Luton have done is unprecedented in terms of promotions. But they did it relatively quickly, improved every year, nearly went one step further, started that run on their knees and aren't a massive club or a rich one.

I assume you once got dumped by a girl from Luton and never really got over it.

Who was the last newly promoted team to win the top flight? Forest in 1978. 43 years ago. Whereas what Luton have done is now. When football is MASSIVELY different.

If 5 teams won the league after promotion that was over a period of how long? 30 years? 50 years? then it just goes to show that it was actually pretty achievable. Even 5 occurrences in 50 years would be 1 season every decade!

It just so happened the other teams had been in the top flight before and we hadn't. It doesn't make their promotion winning sides any better or worse than ours just because we'd never been in the top division. It is a really great thing we can always be proud of but doesn't mean it was harder for us then than Huddersfield or Blackburn or whoever did it before that given, comparatively speaking, far less changed about the games finances in those 50 or so years compared to the incredible changes in the last 10 years alone, let alone 30 odd since the Premier League.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024