Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Economic crisis....anyone cutting back 19:13 - Jun 17 with 8030 viewsgtsb1966

Keep reading in the news of 1 in 4 cutting back on food, not using the car as much and not having takeaways or nights out. Anyone on here cutting back on anything. The really worrying thing is that if it's hard now imagine what the winter is going to bring. I'm definitely being more energy efficient. Took so much for granted in the past.
Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:15 - Jun 17 with 3304 viewsgiant_stow

Not yet, but autumn will be rough as Mrs ullaa is a freelance music teacher at school, so no pay though the 6 weeks hols. Sounds a bit pathetic maybe, but I think that's going to hit us hard this time round.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:17 - Jun 17 with 3287 viewsfactual_blue

Fortunately, very rich people aren't really affected, so we can all take comfort from that.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:20 - Jun 17 with 3277 viewssolomon

Yes, it’s impossible not to. It’s not even the luxuries, it’s the basics that we’re looking at. Still at least Simon Clarke is telling everyones bosses not to up wages, shame that these MPs never have the same vigour for restraint when it comes to their own pay rises.
Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:22 - Jun 17 with 3274 viewsgtsb1966

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:15 - Jun 17 by giant_stow

Not yet, but autumn will be rough as Mrs ullaa is a freelance music teacher at school, so no pay though the 6 weeks hols. Sounds a bit pathetic maybe, but I think that's going to hit us hard this time round.

It's not pathetic at all. The only positive I get out of it is that it may make us think about things in the future. Silly little things but I now cook veg for two days meals rather than each meal. Just ping it in the microwave for a minute the next day.
Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:28 - Jun 17 with 3247 viewsfactual_blue

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:22 - Jun 17 by gtsb1966

It's not pathetic at all. The only positive I get out of it is that it may make us think about things in the future. Silly little things but I now cook veg for two days meals rather than each meal. Just ping it in the microwave for a minute the next day.

But at least we can all season our budget meals with Sovereignty.

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:30 - Jun 17 with 3231 viewsPippin1970

Definitely going to hit pub and restaurant trade its inevitable. Even football grounds with top prices for food , fans will give a miss.
Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:35 - Jun 17 with 3196 viewsmonytowbray

Food budget much tighter now. Random snack runs to smaller shops is rare now, go to Aldi and stock up more often than we used to. Online shops for the stuff Aldi don’t do happen now once a month rather than two, and the last one we went to Warren Heath Sainsbos - 70 quid for 3 bags of shopping. Offers and deals are rarer now.

Start of month I am spending less when pay comes in, odd garden stuff here and there, odd gig ticket.

Any long haul flight holidays are gone now. Looked at NY for end of year or early next year and it’s around £600 more for flight/hotel than it was when I booked pre-covid (which was cancelled).

I don’t drink but my ‘erb stash we largely stick to the waterpipe where you can get much more out of a little bit of smoke over rolling a joint.

Still no car (4 years now) so that’s not an issue luckily for me.

I’m lucky as I’m sat on savings from holidays I’ve not booked but RN I’m either too scared to spend it or am begrudging when I’m talking an extra half a grand to do what I had planned.

I am by no means skint or struggling, but I’m also cautious of tomorrow. Tempted to take what I have saved, get a tiny house and hide in the woods away from society. I have no interest anymore. We are now in the middle of the climate emergency and it’s gonna get worse, yet the main political debate of the day is arguing over culture war sh1t to distract the fact no politician has any answers anymore. The one that did - they told you he was a racist. So yeah!
[Post edited 17 Jun 2022 19:36]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:36 - Jun 17 with 3198 viewsronnyd

Luckily, some of us of a certain age have been frugal for a number of years due to earlier economic crises. Esp the days of 15% + mortgages etc. It's something theme and the missus do as a matter of course.
Login to get fewer ads

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:36 - Jun 17 with 3199 viewsLesta_Tractor

Haven't cut back as such but I'm supposed to be going to Birmingham with a couple of mates on Sunday, which is about a 100 mile roundtrip, and I'm genuinely considering not going because of the cost of petrol.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:37 - Jun 17 with 3194 viewsgtsb1966

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:30 - Jun 17 by Pippin1970

Definitely going to hit pub and restaurant trade its inevitable. Even football grounds with top prices for food , fans will give a miss.

I travel around the country a lot. On average I was buying a cup of coffee from a garage every working day. Worked out about £60 a month. Absolutely ridiculous and stupid of me. Bought a flask for a tenner. It's not until you actually sit down and look at what you spend do you realise the waste.
Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:38 - Jun 17 with 3170 viewsmonytowbray

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:37 - Jun 17 by gtsb1966

I travel around the country a lot. On average I was buying a cup of coffee from a garage every working day. Worked out about £60 a month. Absolutely ridiculous and stupid of me. Bought a flask for a tenner. It's not until you actually sit down and look at what you spend do you realise the waste.

See Sitters, flasks are the f**king future!

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:43 - Jun 17 with 3169 viewstextbackup

best way to save money, have kids.

stops £2/300 weekends on the piss every other week. my sister thought i was mad when i said having kids has saved me a fortune

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:47 - Jun 17 with 3154 viewsgtsb1966

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:43 - Jun 17 by textbackup

stops £2/300 weekends on the piss every other week. my sister thought i was mad when i said having kids has saved me a fortune

I'm 56 and a jaffa now. Thanks for the tip though
Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:48 - Jun 17 with 3153 viewsjeera

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:36 - Jun 17 by ronnyd

Luckily, some of us of a certain age have been frugal for a number of years due to earlier economic crises. Esp the days of 15% + mortgages etc. It's something theme and the missus do as a matter of course.

Yes have to say I'm quite stuck in my ways when it comes to shopping.

Inasmuch as I will l rarely buy something I feel isn't value for money whether I can afford it or not.

And for as long as I can remember I've been a bit of a hoarder, again as in if non perishable products are on offer that I use regularly I am happy to shove a few in the cupboard. Most of the big stores were emailing vouchers for a few years; say Tesco would send a £15 off a £60 shop which would soon be matched by Sainsburys, then Waitrose and I got used to using them in a cycle. Often they'd be a free delivery thrown in.

Too much for me on my own for food alone so any surplus would be spent on bleach/loo rolls/tea bags/whatever else.

Playing one off another meant a significant amount of free stuff for a few years!

When Covid came along I was already stocked up on the essentials by default.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:48 - Jun 17 with 3145 viewstextbackup

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:47 - Jun 17 by gtsb1966

I'm 56 and a jaffa now. Thanks for the tip though

you must be skint too, all them years doing loads of fun stuff!!

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:52 - Jun 17 with 3136 viewsgtsb1966

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:48 - Jun 17 by textbackup

you must be skint too, all them years doing loads of fun stuff!!

Had too much fun hence I'm skint!!!.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2022 19:52]
Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:52 - Jun 17 with 3135 viewsfactual_blue

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:43 - Jun 17 by textbackup

...And you can cook a meal for 30p a head, so what's the problem?

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:53 - Jun 17 with 3114 viewstextbackup

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:52 - Jun 17 by factual_blue

i dont get it

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:56 - Jun 17 with 3087 viewsgtsb1966

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:52 - Jun 17 by factual_blue

There was a woman on the radio 5 phone in this morning who reckons she could do it for 50p!!!!
Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:57 - Jun 17 with 3081 viewsfactual_blue

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:53 - Jun 17 by textbackup

i dont get it

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/cost-of-living/top-greater-manchest

Oh, and get another couple of jobs while you're at it.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/minister-says-people-should

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:58 - Jun 17 with 3075 viewsfactual_blue

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:56 - Jun 17 by gtsb1966

There was a woman on the radio 5 phone in this morning who reckons she could do it for 50p!!!!

Competition will force prices down, and you'll probably end up with women who'll do it for 50p.

Oh, sorry. Wrong end of the stick.

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 20:01 - Jun 17 with 3061 viewstextbackup

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 19:56 - Jun 17 by gtsb1966

bag of pasta, and an aldi sauce, £1ish

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 20:08 - Jun 17 with 3043 viewsJ2BLUE

When I had to scrap my car I didn't replace it but that is the only thing. I work from home so not a massive deal for now

I have to point out that automation like self service checkout and robots in factories etc was supposed to be a benefit for us all. There is no reason we could not have a universal basic income at this point. All that stands in the way is corporate greed and the idea that everyone needs to have a 40 hour work week to survive.

We could have a far healthier, happier and fairer society than we have now.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 20:08 - Jun 17 with 3039 viewsjeera

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 20:01 - Jun 17 by textbackup

bag of pasta, and an aldi sauce, £1ish

Lovely every day forever and ever...

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 20:13 - Jun 17 with 3003 viewsgtsb1966

Economic crisis....anyone cutting back on 20:08 - Jun 17 by jeera

Lovely every day forever and ever...

That's the problem isn't it. You get these people saying they can feed themselves/family so cheap but they look over a couple of days not a month. It doesn't matter if you eat meat or are vegetarian, protein isn't cheap and we are only talking about one meal a day. What about lunch and breakfast.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024