Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? 20:23 - Jun 18 with 2666 viewsKeno

just intrigued what my long term ancestry might be and what % pure potato I am.

Have anyone do one, which did you use and was it worth it?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 20:35 - Jun 18 with 1884 viewsWeWereZombies

I got one through AncestryDNA three or four years ago, no percentage potato but the initial result was something of a mash up. Iberian, Gael, Viking, French, Finnish and Russian in small amounts but mainly Anglo-Saxon. Then they revised and told me I was 92% Anglo-Saxon and 8% Swedish which, much as I like The Hives and First Aid KIt, disappointed me. Then earlier this year I got another revision which kept the Anglo-Saxon and Scandinavian genes down a bit by declaring me to be between 4% and 29% Scots. I am happy with that but cannot help feeling that those Mormons are making it up as they go along.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 20:39 - Jun 18 with 1880 viewsGeoffSentence

Perhaps read some stuff by the Ipswich-Shotley-Sudbury Golden Triangle's leading geneticist before making your mind up

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-accurate-are-online-dna-tests/

"But to say that you are 20 percent Irish, 4 percent Native American or 12 percent Scandinavian is fun, trivial and has very little scientific meaning. "

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/10/dna-ancestry-tests-cheap-d

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 20:40 - Jun 18 with 1873 viewsKeno

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 20:35 - Jun 18 by WeWereZombies

I got one through AncestryDNA three or four years ago, no percentage potato but the initial result was something of a mash up. Iberian, Gael, Viking, French, Finnish and Russian in small amounts but mainly Anglo-Saxon. Then they revised and told me I was 92% Anglo-Saxon and 8% Swedish which, much as I like The Hives and First Aid KIt, disappointed me. Then earlier this year I got another revision which kept the Anglo-Saxon and Scandinavian genes down a bit by declaring me to be between 4% and 29% Scots. I am happy with that but cannot help feeling that those Mormons are making it up as they go along.

Was the 2nd on also an ancestry kit?

Must admit I do wonder how much is bolloc

Did one for my dog..... on 20:43 - Jun 18 with 1862 viewsBloots

....does that count?

(50% greyhound, 25% Saluki, 12.5% retriever, 12.5% dachshund)

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Did one for my dog..... on 20:50 - Jun 18 with 1839 viewsjeera

Did one for my dog..... on 20:43 - Jun 18 by Bloots

....does that count?

"You what?"

I'm guessing one of the little guys had a box to stand on.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

That was my first thought.... on 20:52 - Jun 18 with 1827 viewsBloots

Did one for my dog..... on 20:50 - Jun 18 by jeera

"You what?"

I'm guessing one of the little guys had a box to stand on.

...either that or he was particularly blessed.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Did one for my dog..... on 20:55 - Jun 18 with 1819 viewsKeno

Did one for my dog..... on 20:43 - Jun 18 by Bloots

....does that count?

That’s an interesting mix!!

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 21:08 - Jun 18 with 1777 viewsgtsb1966

The police kindly did one for me a few years ago. Never did get the results.
Login to get fewer ads

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 21:10 - Jun 18 with 1774 viewsWeWereZombies

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 20:40 - Jun 18 by Keno

Was the 2nd on also an ancestry kit?

Must admit I do wonder how much is bolloc

These results were all from the same kit, they just seem to send me updates when they feel like it. And I keep on getting emails telling me that I have a DNA match with a fourth cousin twice removed and so on...no Nigerian princes with fortunes waiting to be unlocked if I can only deposit a thousand pounds in such and such account yet though.

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 21:23 - Jun 18 with 1729 viewsfloridablue

I signed myself and my partner up to both 23andme and ancestry.com 4 years ago. She was adopted and had no idea of anything about her biological side. Soon she had a 'hit' from a very surprised/shocked half brother. They met within a couple of months and he then 'confronted' mother who'd kept a secret for more than 50 years. 2 more half brothers and almost a year before she met her birth mother they are now 'best' friends and off on a trip to Europe later this year with mother treating her new daughter. Me, I have it confirmed through DNA on my American fathers side that his ancestor (and mine) fought the British during the revolutionary war and I now have the certificate of proof framed.... damn!
DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 21:38 - Jun 18 with 1665 viewsKeno

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 21:23 - Jun 18 by floridablue

I signed myself and my partner up to both 23andme and ancestry.com 4 years ago. She was adopted and had no idea of anything about her biological side. Soon she had a 'hit' from a very surprised/shocked half brother. They met within a couple of months and he then 'confronted' mother who'd kept a secret for more than 50 years. 2 more half brothers and almost a year before she met her birth mother they are now 'best' friends and off on a trip to Europe later this year with mother treating her new daughter. Me, I have it confirmed through DNA on my American fathers side that his ancestor (and mine) fought the British during the revolutionary war and I now have the certificate of proof framed.... damn!

Woah! That interesting!!

I’m not expecting so dramatic!!

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 21:41 - Jun 18 with 1650 viewsKeno

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 21:10 - Jun 18 by WeWereZombies

These results were all from the same kit, they just seem to send me updates when they feel like it. And I keep on getting emails telling me that I have a DNA match with a fourth cousin twice removed and so on...no Nigerian princes with fortunes waiting to be unlocked if I can only deposit a thousand pounds in such and such account yet though.

I have family trees back to the 1600,s just wondered what was before that

I’m expecting to to linked to bloodline from the da Vinci code

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 22:12 - Jun 18 with 1588 viewsfactual_blue

DNA secrets with Stacey Doo-Dah had a good 'un. Five sisters - all late fifties/early sixties who weren't sure if they were all sisters or if a couple of them were half-sisters. They knew they all had the same mother.

After the appropriate investigations it turned out there were four different fathers involved....

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 22:13 - Jun 18 with 1586 viewsfactual_blue

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 21:38 - Jun 18 by Keno

Woah! That interesting!!

I’m not expecting so dramatic!!

You'll be part potato, part pig, part leprechaun.

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 22:29 - Jun 18 with 1567 viewsMedwayTractor

I've done heaps of research on ancestry.com including using their DNA testing. Not sure how it works - my maternal grandmother was married to a German, but my DNA results show, apparently, less than 5% from Western Europe. On the other hand, I've been able to contact relatives I didn't know about and unlikely that I would have found them without the DNA results.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 22:39 - Jun 18 with 1512 viewsjaykay

i did mine about 3 year ago.
25% northern india
25% irish
25% scotch
23% english
2% french

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 22:58 - Jun 18 with 1445 viewsKeno

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 22:39 - Jun 18 by jaykay

i did mine about 3 year ago.
25% northern india
25% irish
25% scotch
23% english
2% french

Fortunately for you there i# enough Irish to mask the French bit

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 22:58 - Jun 18 with 1441 viewsKeno

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 22:13 - Jun 18 by factual_blue

You'll be part potato, part pig, part leprechaun.

Excuse me you missed part sex god off the list

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 23:00 - Jun 18 with 1433 viewsChurchman

That’s really fascinating. I’ve not done the DNA test and findings like yours and others on here does tempt me.

I have looked at the ancestry thing and somebody has managed to get back to the 15th century on my dad’s side, but no further than the 1700s on my mums. Ironically my mum’s ancestry is far more interesting, including beachmen/lifeboatmen, lunatics, suicides, butcher, cork cutters, fishermen, WW1 soldiers, workhouse inmates and a thief of a great great grandfather who wound up in Norwich gaol which was the castle at the time.

I hate that Norwich badge - swines!
[Post edited 18 Jun 2022 23:01]
DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 23:07 - Jun 18 with 1412 viewsPhilTWTD

Might well have come up against my great great great great great grandfather, who died at the Battle of Bunker Hill!
DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 23:18 - Jun 18 with 1378 viewsChurchman

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 23:07 - Jun 18 by PhilTWTD

Might well have come up against my great great great great great grandfather, who died at the Battle of Bunker Hill!

So it’s his fault we lost America then. You let us down, Phil.
DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 23:18 - Jun 18 with 1375 viewsWeWereZombies

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 21:41 - Jun 18 by Keno

I have family trees back to the 1600,s just wondered what was before that

I’m expecting to to linked to bloodline from the da Vinci code

On my mother's side we have been able to take the family tree back to 1574 from census, parish records and so on. The, supposed, DNA analysis more or less ties in with the family tree but I do wonder how much of it uses a database that just goes over the same ground as the clerical records and how much it is possible to determine from what turns up in the double helix. If the opportunity arose where I could take part in a study from somewhere like the Leverhulme Trust I would grab it with both hands as I value the academic approach over the commercial.

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 23:46 - Jun 18 with 1347 viewsgtsb1966

I was adopted at 6 weeks old in 1966. My biological mother lived on a caravan site in Bury St Edmunds. I've got my original birth certificate but it means nothing. My mother (yes the one who raised me and has been there ever since) is now ill in Addenbrokes. I may have an extended family. I'm not bothered though. I understand people who do though. Must be quite exciting.
DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 23:52 - Jun 18 with 1320 viewsjaykay

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 22:58 - Jun 18 by Keno

Fortunately for you there i# enough Irish to mask the French bit

to think i could have played for 3 internationals sides

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 23:55 - Jun 18 with 1316 viewsfactual_blue

DNA Tests Kits - anyone done one at all? on 22:58 - Jun 18 by Keno

Excuse me you missed part sex god off the list

For a reason, Keno, for a reason.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024