Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Midfield 13:46 - Jun 21 with 3824 viewsclive_baker

Wonder if we'll look to fill that Carroll / Bakinson void with someone else, especially if Harper and El Miz aren't fancied. Obviously we've signed Ball but it's looking like 2 from Morsy, Evans, Ball as it stands, and I would imagine we'll certainly want a 4th. Not writing Harper off by any means, just basing it on the fact KM had a month with him and was happy to let him go to Crewe when we still had p/off ambitions.

In front of them too, Chaplin, Aluko about the only contenders as it stands, if we assume Dobra is out of the picture. I see Edwards spoken about as an option, but I really see him as a wide man so probably not best suited to this system, unless he can make a case at LWB. I think we might see a bigger name come in towards the end of the window. Marlon Pack is leaving Cardiff, obviously got the Bristol City links there. Been a very good player, I wonder if he might be looked at?

Obviously a lot of factors, I'm not even convinced we're as wedded to the current system as some believe. Will depend who we can shift to some extent too, I would think there's still 2 or 3 we would be happy to get out the door.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Midfield on 14:11 - Jun 21 with 2707 viewsitfcsuth

There is currently no indication that El Mizouni or Harper are leaving. There has only been reports that sides have taken an interest in loaning El Mizouni, nothing confirmed that we are willing to let him go.

I actually think a selection of; Morsy, Evans, Ball, Harper & El Mizouni provides good balance, diversity, balance and depth.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if neither Harper or El Mizouni leave and are very much part of the group, I think KM has stated on both they are part of future plans.
Midfield on 14:28 - Jun 21 with 2626 viewsclive_baker

Midfield on 14:11 - Jun 21 by itfcsuth

There is currently no indication that El Mizouni or Harper are leaving. There has only been reports that sides have taken an interest in loaning El Mizouni, nothing confirmed that we are willing to let him go.

I actually think a selection of; Morsy, Evans, Ball, Harper & El Mizouni provides good balance, diversity, balance and depth.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if neither Harper or El Mizouni leave and are very much part of the group, I think KM has stated on both they are part of future plans.

I would be more surprised if both are here through the season than neither personally. I think more likely than both of those scenarios is that 1 will be around in a supporting capacity, with perhaps 1 out perm or loan. It's definitely an opportunity now to impress KM, I'm sure he'll be giving all players a clean slate and drawing his own conclusions over the coming weeks.

I would like to see Harper kick on, the first impressions of him were encouraging, he really looked like that athletic, physical midfielder that we have lacked and I do think he brings something entirely different to what else we have. I know he's viewed as this deep midfielder, but I wouldn't rule him out playing slightly further forward myself, as Cook tried a few times.

Midfield on 14:32 - Jun 21 with 2589 viewsGarv

I would have Bakinson back with not much hesitation.

El Miz, in my opinion, won't make it here. He'll knock around for another year or two but he won't nail down a spot. Harper, who knows? Hopefully he can pick up where Bakinson left off, although getting ahead of Morsy/Evans/Ball isn't going to be easy.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Midfield on 14:38 - Jun 21 with 2552 viewsitfcjoe

I just wonder where the goals come from in the midfield, Morsy was getting on the end of a lot of chances but is not a very natural finisher and you wonder if someone else in there who can be a proper 8/box to box guy how many they could end up with, even if that is in a 3 man midfield with Ball screening and Morsy destroying at both ends in a press.

There also needs to be a contingency for Morsy going as there is genuine interest from the league above.

Could Harper, El Miz and Humphreys be that 3rd man? Possibly, or do we look at a Celina as a deeper lying player?

It does feel one light in there currently, but if we sign one for there, an AM/10 and a striker the squad is startling to look a little bloated

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Midfield on 14:44 - Jun 21 with 2522 viewsclive_baker

Midfield on 14:38 - Jun 21 by itfcjoe

I just wonder where the goals come from in the midfield, Morsy was getting on the end of a lot of chances but is not a very natural finisher and you wonder if someone else in there who can be a proper 8/box to box guy how many they could end up with, even if that is in a 3 man midfield with Ball screening and Morsy destroying at both ends in a press.

There also needs to be a contingency for Morsy going as there is genuine interest from the league above.

Could Harper, El Miz and Humphreys be that 3rd man? Possibly, or do we look at a Celina as a deeper lying player?

It does feel one light in there currently, but if we sign one for there, an AM/10 and a striker the squad is startling to look a little bloated

That's the concern, and probably beyond the midfield. When you consider top sides at this level score 80 a season or very close to. I look at our forwards and if we got half of them from Jackson, Pigott, Ladapo we've done OK, especially in a system where it's tended to be an either / or in terms of selection rather than both. Jackson might change that though, I can see him partnered. Chaplin will score goals, Burns hopefully too, but I don't see where 15 - 20 will come from centre mid and back 3. I would love Morsy to be an 8-10 a season man and Celina to bag double figures.

We need peak Tommy Miller.

Midfield on 14:48 - Jun 21 with 2493 viewsitfcsuth

Must note with the 3-4-2-1, you naturally sacrifice the goals from being more defensive in the centre of the park, to allow you to dominate the wider areas - and we did that better than anyone really with W.Burns.

Morsy picked up 3 goals and 2 assists during KM games (inc. missing 4 games with ban).

If we moved to a 3 man midfield, then you certainly need more goals coming from there, but if we continue with the 2, it's really the job of the wing-backs and the inside forward roles to be the creative/goal scoring spark.
Midfield on 14:49 - Jun 21 with 2484 viewsKieran_Knows

Taylor from Peterborough would make sense, but can't see them selling him to us.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Midfield on 14:55 - Jun 21 with 2434 viewsitfcsuth

Midfield on 14:49 - Jun 21 by Kieran_Knows

Taylor from Peterborough would make sense, but can't see them selling him to us.

I don't know what Taylor's role at Posh is, but I have a feeling he was more of Lee Evans esq. player.

His stats last time in L1 were very similar to that of Morsy.

I also think Posh have an over-inflated price tag on - whilst not quite silly season of £10M Barry Fry suggested, I do think they'll price themselves out the deal.
Login to get fewer ads

Midfield on 14:58 - Jun 21 with 2399 viewsitfcsuth

Midfield on 14:28 - Jun 21 by clive_baker

I would be more surprised if both are here through the season than neither personally. I think more likely than both of those scenarios is that 1 will be around in a supporting capacity, with perhaps 1 out perm or loan. It's definitely an opportunity now to impress KM, I'm sure he'll be giving all players a clean slate and drawing his own conclusions over the coming weeks.

I would like to see Harper kick on, the first impressions of him were encouraging, he really looked like that athletic, physical midfielder that we have lacked and I do think he brings something entirely different to what else we have. I know he's viewed as this deep midfielder, but I wouldn't rule him out playing slightly further forward myself, as Cook tried a few times.

I like both El Mizouni & Harper, both probably better being the advanced player in a 2, whereas Evans and Ball you'd think are better suited to the deeper role.

I think Harper's best cameo I saw was away at Lincoln last year, thought showed glimpses of what he should be, powerful, attacking, driving forward - has the physical attributes to do so.
Midfield on 15:13 - Jun 21 with 2303 viewsportmanking

Midfield on 14:49 - Jun 21 by Kieran_Knows

Morgan Rogers.
Midfield on 15:16 - Jun 21 with 2282 viewsBig_Jase

Midfield on 15:13 - Jun 21 by portmanking

Morgan Rogers.

Morgan Rogers, the winger, to play in centre midfield?

Poll: Who would actually care if Norwich responded with a plane banner?

Midfield on 15:22 - Jun 21 with 2205 viewsportmanking

Midfield on 15:16 - Jun 21 by Big_Jase

Morgan Rogers, the winger, to play in centre midfield?

He can play as a 10 too.
Midfield on 15:29 - Jun 21 with 2168 viewshype313

Midfield on 14:44 - Jun 21 by clive_baker

That's the concern, and probably beyond the midfield. When you consider top sides at this level score 80 a season or very close to. I look at our forwards and if we got half of them from Jackson, Pigott, Ladapo we've done OK, especially in a system where it's tended to be an either / or in terms of selection rather than both. Jackson might change that though, I can see him partnered. Chaplin will score goals, Burns hopefully too, but I don't see where 15 - 20 will come from centre mid and back 3. I would love Morsy to be an 8-10 a season man and Celina to bag double figures.

We need peak Tommy Miller.

Even better, a peak Matt Holland.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Midfield on 15:29 - Jun 21 with 2162 viewshype313

Midfield on 15:22 - Jun 21 by portmanking

He can play as a 10 too.

Wonder if he would be the option before Celina.

Midfield on 15:30 - Jun 21 with 2156 viewsportmanking

Midfield on 15:29 - Jun 21 by hype313

Wonder if he would be the option before Celina.

From what I gather, that's very much the case.
Midfield on 15:33 - Jun 21 with 2140 viewstractorboy1978

Midfield on 15:22 - Jun 21 by portmanking

He can play as a 10 too.

His buy option at the end of his Bournemouth loan was £9m. A loan could be possible but suspect City will want him having a strong season in the Championship somewhere to maximise his value.

Cameron Brannagan would be high on my list.
Midfield on 15:40 - Jun 21 with 2102 viewsSharkey

I think bringing Dobra back from Colchester to Town training before the end of the season might be a sign that he wasn’t entirely written off. It would have been easy to make it clear to him that he had no future at Town by leaving him kicking his heels in Essex.
Midfield on 15:40 - Jun 21 with 2092 viewshype313

Midfield on 15:33 - Jun 21 by tractorboy1978

His buy option at the end of his Bournemouth loan was £9m. A loan could be possible but suspect City will want him having a strong season in the Championship somewhere to maximise his value.

City want him gone now, they are dreaming if they think anyone in the Championship will drop £9m on him.

Midfield on 15:41 - Jun 21 with 2087 viewsPhilTWTD

Midfield on 15:40 - Jun 21 by Sharkey

I think bringing Dobra back from Colchester to Town training before the end of the season might be a sign that he wasn’t entirely written off. It would have been easy to make it clear to him that he had no future at Town by leaving him kicking his heels in Essex.

Trained with the U23s and hardly played for them. I think the writing is on the wall unfortunately.
Midfield on 15:42 - Jun 21 with 2068 viewshype313

Midfield on 15:41 - Jun 21 by PhilTWTD

Trained with the U23s and hardly played for them. I think the writing is on the wall unfortunately.

Getting visions of Pink Floyd's album reading that.

Midfield on 15:45 - Jun 21 with 2048 viewstractorboy1978

Midfield on 15:40 - Jun 21 by hype313

City want him gone now, they are dreaming if they think anyone in the Championship will drop £9m on him.

Even if that is the case, I think it's fanciful to think we are going to pick him up on the cheap. They aren't suddenly going to sell him for a million quid.
Midfield on 15:46 - Jun 21 with 2045 viewsmarkchips

Who do we think they will try and shift ?

El Miz on loan, Harper and Penney I would expect ?
Midfield on 15:48 - Jun 21 with 2013 viewsParky

Midfield on 15:33 - Jun 21 by tractorboy1978

The fee it would take to sign Taylor from Peterborough, I’d definitely prefer it if we went for Brannagan instead.

Both are extremely unlikely, but think he’d be ideal for our side.
Midfield on 15:49 - Jun 21 with 2004 viewschicoazul

Scoring enough goals is my biggest worry for this season. We need 20 more than we got last year and we lost our top scorer Bonn (or was it joint top) and Celina who got us 20 I think between them. Maybe I’m just a miserable old scrote but I feel less and less optimistic about this season the closer it gets. The way we evaporated in the last half dozen games of last season fills me with woe.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Midfield on 15:53 - Jun 21 with 1986 viewsitfcjoe

Midfield on 15:45 - Jun 21 by tractorboy1978

Even if that is the case, I think it's fanciful to think we are going to pick him up on the cheap. They aren't suddenly going to sell him for a million quid.

Might get him for £4-5m with a sell on and a buy back though - I'd be far more comfortable spending it there than on Twine as MR would have proper resale value and I'm not convinced Twine ever will

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024