Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cauley Woodrow 17:11 - Jun 21 with 2819 viewsFixed_It

Signed for Luton.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Cauley Woodrow on 17:26 - Jun 21 with 2530 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Good for him. We clearly weren't interested after all.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2022 17:27]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Cauley Woodrow on 17:37 - Jun 21 with 2460 viewsOwainG1992

Top 6 championship team.
Yet many didn't feel he was good enough for Ipswich.
Funny old sport.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Cauley Woodrow on 17:43 - Jun 21 with 2426 viewsITFC_Jenx

Cauley Woodrow on 17:37 - Jun 21 by OwainG1992

Top 6 championship team.
Yet many didn't feel he was good enough for Ipswich.
Funny old sport.

Very good player but much better at dropping deep and linking play rather than leading the line and getting in behind.

Good enough but not what we needed.
Cauley Woodrow on 19:26 - Jun 21 with 2157 viewsBobsthename

Would of been decent for us looks like playing championship football is the draw not league one i’m worried we can’t attract a 25 plus goal scorer i’m sure he could of delivered.
Cauley Woodrow on 20:04 - Jun 21 with 2058 viewsOwainG1992

Cauley Woodrow on 19:26 - Jun 21 by Bobsthename

Would of been decent for us looks like playing championship football is the draw not league one i’m worried we can’t attract a 25 plus goal scorer i’m sure he could of delivered.

Very classy footballer.
Good on the ball skillfull.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Cauley Woodrow on 20:11 - Jun 21 with 2039 viewsTomTheWriter

Good for them.

Woodrow doesn't fit. He's a big man who likes the ball to feet, and wants runners in behind. Are Aluko and Chaplin suddenly going to start burning past defenders?

Under McKenna, we are trying to sign players that fit the style. MK Dons signed Darling from L2, Twine from relegated Swindon. They worked because they fit.

Someone like Woodrow would have been a poorer player for us than someone like Harry McKirdy. Why? Because Woodrow is as slow as Pigott and will drop as deep as Celina did last season. As evidenced, that kind of striker failed. McKirdy sat on the last shoulder for Swindon, and scored handfuls. That kind of striker thrives in this style.

There's a reason McKenna kept Jackson. He is his ideal striker (type, not leading man). Fast, direct, drifts wide to create openings in behind. We don't need a Woodrow to drop deep and hold the ball when Aluko/Celina/Chaplin are already in that pocket of space waiting for it.

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

Cauley Woodrow on 20:17 - Jun 21 with 2010 viewsitfcjoe

Cauley Woodrow on 20:11 - Jun 21 by TomTheWriter

Good for them.

Woodrow doesn't fit. He's a big man who likes the ball to feet, and wants runners in behind. Are Aluko and Chaplin suddenly going to start burning past defenders?

Under McKenna, we are trying to sign players that fit the style. MK Dons signed Darling from L2, Twine from relegated Swindon. They worked because they fit.

Someone like Woodrow would have been a poorer player for us than someone like Harry McKirdy. Why? Because Woodrow is as slow as Pigott and will drop as deep as Celina did last season. As evidenced, that kind of striker failed. McKirdy sat on the last shoulder for Swindon, and scored handfuls. That kind of striker thrives in this style.

There's a reason McKenna kept Jackson. He is his ideal striker (type, not leading man). Fast, direct, drifts wide to create openings in behind. We don't need a Woodrow to drop deep and hold the ball when Aluko/Celina/Chaplin are already in that pocket of space waiting for it.

Woodrow is much more athletic than Pigott, he was a key man in Ismael’s Barnsley side which were the most high pressing team in basically the history of football.

And for all talk of McKenna recruiting to a plan, we were in for Woodrow so he obviously thought he’d have been a good fit

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Cauley Woodrow on 20:30 - Jun 21 with 1951 viewsjoey_itfc

Cauley Woodrow on 20:17 - Jun 21 by itfcjoe

Woodrow is much more athletic than Pigott, he was a key man in Ismael’s Barnsley side which were the most high pressing team in basically the history of football.

And for all talk of McKenna recruiting to a plan, we were in for Woodrow so he obviously thought he’d have been a good fit

Any idea what strikers are on the list Joe?
Login to get fewer ads

Cauley Woodrow on 20:41 - Jun 21 with 1889 viewsMullet

Yep, I'd have been chuffed with him.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Cauley Woodrow on 21:05 - Jun 21 with 1837 viewsTomTheWriter

The fact that Barnsley fans are seemingly glad to see him go tells part of the story.

As I've said, Woodrow is not a bad player. He is a very good player for a side that play a 4-2-3-1 with wingers and full-backs getting in behind. That Barnsley team that got in the play-offs had Woodrow up top with Morris, Adeboyejo, Brittain, Styles, Dike getting in behind. Our side relied on Wes Burns and that was it.

We all talk about Celina's lack of goal contributions because of the poor attackers ahead of him. He'd have a field day with the amount of through balls wasted if Woodrow was up top because he'd be stood next to him - that's his game in possession.

I think that if we lose Pigott, then maybe we will recruit someone of his ilk with more mobility, but likely to be a young Prem loan that can be trained by McKenna.

I'd be shocked if McKenna recruited a ball-to-feet striker, because our style works because our midfielders want the ball to feet. Adding one more would be overkill, and would make us so slow in the build up.

Ideally, I'd like to see us start with the 3-4-3 with Ball, Morsy and Chaplin getting on the ball, and then the LWB, Burns, other CAM and striker all on the line waiting to make the run.

Cauley Woodrow on 21:08 - Jun 21 with 1810 viewsgtsb1966

Cauley Woodrow on 20:30 - Jun 21 by joey_itfc

Can never understand why people ask these questions. People have left ITFC who leaked info. Ipswich is a far more professional business now.
Cauley Woodrow on 21:21 - Jun 21 with 1752 viewsitfcjoe

Cauley Woodrow on 21:05 - Jun 21 by TomTheWriter

The fact that Barnsley fans are seemingly glad to see him go tells part of the story.

As I've said, Woodrow is not a bad player. He is a very good player for a side that play a 4-2-3-1 with wingers and full-backs getting in behind. That Barnsley team that got in the play-offs had Woodrow up top with Morris, Adeboyejo, Brittain, Styles, Dike getting in behind. Our side relied on Wes Burns and that was it.

We all talk about Celina's lack of goal contributions because of the poor attackers ahead of him. He'd have a field day with the amount of through balls wasted if Woodrow was up top because he'd be stood next to him - that's his game in possession.

I think that if we lose Pigott, then maybe we will recruit someone of his ilk with more mobility, but likely to be a young Prem loan that can be trained by McKenna.

I'd be shocked if McKenna recruited a ball-to-feet striker, because our style works because our midfielders want the ball to feet. Adding one more would be overkill, and would make us so slow in the build up.

Ideally, I'd like to see us start with the 3-4-3 with Ball, Morsy and Chaplin getting on the ball, and then the LWB, Burns, other CAM and striker all on the line waiting to make the run.

Barnsley played 433 and Woodrow wasn’t playing a deep role in that under Ismael, he might have dropped deeper under the manager last season but he’s capable of playing higher and has done.

He’s a cut above Joe Pigott and there’s a reason why a Championship side who have recruited so well they’ve got into the top 6 on a tiny budget has gone for him. If we’d have got him here he’d have been a cracking signing - good players trump systems

Cauley Woodrow on 21:23 - Jun 21 with 1734 viewsitfcjoe

Cauley Woodrow on 20:30 - Jun 21 by joey_itfc

Phil has reported Woodrow and then George Hirst as well so safe to assume they are as he won’t put his name on stories like that without very solid info
[Post edited 21 Jun 2022 21:52]

Cauley Woodrow on 21:39 - Jun 21 with 1649 viewsBig_Jase

Cauley Woodrow on 21:23 - Jun 21 by itfcjoe

Phil has reported Woodrow and then George Hirst as well so safe to assume they are as he won’t put his name on stories like that without very solid info

But Tom thinks he knows everything about our recruitment because he makes a few pretty graphs on twitter so you couldn’t possibly be right there Joe.

Poll: Who would actually care if Norwich responded with a plane banner?

Cauley Woodrow on 21:49 - Jun 21 with 1618 viewsPhilTWTD

They were both my stories! On the list was how they were described to me. As per the thread above, I think those targeted will have had different attributes, which ones are brought in to some extent relating to who else is signed. I know they're keen to add pace and Ladapo is someone who can run in behind.

This post has been edited by an administrator
ITK Legend, innit. (n/t) on 21:51 - Jun 21 with 1598 viewsBloots

Cauley Woodrow on 21:49 - Jun 21 by PhilTWTD

They were both my stories! On the list was how they were described to me. As per the thread above, I think those targeted will have had different attributes, which ones are brought in to some extent relating to who else is signed. I know they're keen to add pace and Ladapo is someone who can run in behind.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Cauley Woodrow on 21:53 - Jun 21 with 1581 viewsitfcjoe

Cauley Woodrow on 21:49 - Jun 21 by PhilTWTD

Sorry Phil, have edited - I thought you had said Jack Taylor and they the strikers - apologies!

Think Sheff Weds were in for Woodrow as well

Cauley Woodrow on 21:56 - Jun 21 with 1545 viewsPhilTWTD

Cauley Woodrow on 21:53 - Jun 21 by itfcjoe

Sorry Phil, have edited - I thought you had said Jack Taylor and they the strikers - apologies!

Think Sheff Weds were in for Woodrow as well

No problem, Taylor wasn't me, as you say. That makes sense, I suspect we'll be shopping in similar markets.
ITK Legend, innit. (n/t) on 21:57 - Jun 21 with 1518 viewsPhilTWTD

ITK Legend, innit. (n/t) on 21:51 - Jun 21 by Bloots

I'll get that tattooed on my forehead.
Cauley Woodrow on 22:00 - Jun 21 with 1483 viewsTomTheWriter

Cauley Woodrow on 21:21 - Jun 21 by itfcjoe

Barnsley played 433 and Woodrow wasn’t playing a deep role in that under Ismael, he might have dropped deeper under the manager last season but he’s capable of playing higher and has done.

He’s a cut above Joe Pigott and there’s a reason why a Championship side who have recruited so well they’ve got into the top 6 on a tiny budget has gone for him. If we’d have got him here he’d have been a cracking signing - good players trump systems

I've said all along that he is a good player. Woodrow might dominate at Luton because he'll have Adebayo, Cornick, Jordan Clark making the runs of him. From the looks of it they played 3-5-2 all season, so he'll be dropping in and receiving the ball to allow Adebayo to break in behind. That is where he is most dangerous.

He is a cut above Pigott. Said that as well. If Pigott was our number one striker, then Woodrow would have been top of the Wishlist. We can't change the fact that McKenna clearly favours a direct, progressive attacker who drifts wide and plays on the last shoulder. He had the choice between an out-of-contract, injury prone James Norwood or a three-year, fully fit striker in Joe Pigott, and he went with the latter.

Woodrow will go on and score a handful for Luton, because they don't play progressive, possession football with the emphasis on getting our midfielders or the ball and our attackers forcing the defence to face their own goal.

Cauley Woodrow on 22:04 - Jun 21 with 1441 viewsTomTheWriter

George Hirst is a very good shout. Watched a lot of his clips back for the recruitment piece. Likes to drop deep, but instead of passing the ball on, he turns and runs at the defenders. One of those 'gets bums of seats' type striker. That's something we need more of, runners with the ball.

Do wonder how important Edwards could be if he stays fully fit in pre-season, and has McKenna teaching him for a prolonged period of time. We need someone high up the field to get on the ball more and run at the full-back/wide centre back instead of Burns doing it all. Maybe the LW spot in a 3-4-3 could be in the offing for him, if he works on his end product!!

Cauley Woodrow on 22:09 - Jun 21 with 1399 viewsitfcjoe

Cauley Woodrow on 22:00 - Jun 21 by TomTheWriter

I've said all along that he is a good player. Woodrow might dominate at Luton because he'll have Adebayo, Cornick, Jordan Clark making the runs of him. From the looks of it they played 3-5-2 all season, so he'll be dropping in and receiving the ball to allow Adebayo to break in behind. That is where he is most dangerous.

He is a cut above Pigott. Said that as well. If Pigott was our number one striker, then Woodrow would have been top of the Wishlist. We can't change the fact that McKenna clearly favours a direct, progressive attacker who drifts wide and plays on the last shoulder. He had the choice between an out-of-contract, injury prone James Norwood or a three-year, fully fit striker in Joe Pigott, and he went with the latter.

Woodrow will go on and score a handful for Luton, because they don't play progressive, possession football with the emphasis on getting our midfielders or the ball and our attackers forcing the defence to face their own goal.

I think it’s too early to say exactly what McKenna wants, there were games like Burton at home where we played Pigott and Jackson and used JP as a pivot to play off to let KJ go in behind.

And realistically he stopped picking Pigott because he was woefully out of form, if he was playing well he’d have no doubt played more

Cauley Woodrow on 22:25 - Jun 21 with 1284 viewsTomTheWriter

Cauley Woodrow on 22:09 - Jun 21 by itfcjoe

I think it’s too early to say exactly what McKenna wants, there were games like Burton at home where we played Pigott and Jackson and used JP as a pivot to play off to let KJ go in behind.

And realistically he stopped picking Pigott because he was woefully out of form, if he was playing well he’d have no doubt played more

I do feel like Pigott's downfall was from a mixture of circumstances - the biggest factor being the form of Macauley Bonne. Pigott in a 4-2-3-1 was very impressive for Wimbledon, and he showed glimpses early on in the season. 'Goal' against Burton, penalty against Wimbledon.

I think it was Bonne's all action performance against MK Dons that sealed Pigott's spot behind MB, and then eventually behind Pigott. Cook's constant rotation didn't help either. JP started 2 games in a row once all season, and that was Game 1 and Game 2.

Cauley Woodrow on 09:10 - Jun 22 with 817 viewsitfcjoe

Cauley Woodrow on 22:25 - Jun 21 by TomTheWriter

I do feel like Pigott's downfall was from a mixture of circumstances - the biggest factor being the form of Macauley Bonne. Pigott in a 4-2-3-1 was very impressive for Wimbledon, and he showed glimpses early on in the season. 'Goal' against Burton, penalty against Wimbledon.

I think it was Bonne's all action performance against MK Dons that sealed Pigott's spot behind MB, and then eventually behind Pigott. Cook's constant rotation didn't help either. JP started 2 games in a row once all season, and that was Game 1 and Game 2.

Bonne justs cored a lot of goals and only room for one of them - by the time Bonne stopped scoring Pigott looked totally shot confidence wise - in reality he didn't score a single open play goal all season, or have an assist bar a Pizza Cup game against Gillingham reserves

Cauley Woodrow on 09:15 - Jun 22 with 804 viewsKieran_Knows

Cauley Woodrow on 21:08 - Jun 21 by gtsb1966

Can never understand why people ask these questions. People have left ITFC who leaked info. Ipswich is a far more professional business now.

'People have left ITFC who leaked info' ... clearly not true as how would the likes of Phil and Stu Watson get their news?! (yes, I appreciate sometimes it comes direct from players/agents)

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024