Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance 18:38 - Jun 22 with 3302 viewsIllinoisblue

Disparity? Got to be thinking Colchester is up there as the worst; 121,000 population, average crowd of 2,781.

Luton also, 218k population, 9k average (obvs that will improve with new ground)

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 18:48 - Jun 22 with 2477 viewsFunge

The franchise, surely?

550k people in MK, of whom approximately 4k watch Wild Bean Cafe FC every other Saturday.

EDIT: nothing like that many people in MK, *only* 265k.... even so, though....
[Post edited 22 Jun 2022 18:51]
Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 18:48 - Jun 22 with 2467 viewsEwan_Oozami

MK Dons? Wigan?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 18:54 - Jun 22 with 2443 viewsGeoffSentence

Th other way round maybe Norwich. At last census the City of Norwich was sightly smaller than the Borough Of Ipswich both just o er 131,000. Meaning that with an average attendance of about 27000 almost a quarter of the city population is in attendance.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 18:56 - Jun 22 with 2425 viewsVeggie

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 18:54 - Jun 22 by GeoffSentence

Th other way round maybe Norwich. At last census the City of Norwich was sightly smaller than the Borough Of Ipswich both just o er 131,000. Meaning that with an average attendance of about 27000 almost a quarter of the city population is in attendance.

Yeah but they do get a family discount.
Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 19:08 - Jun 22 with 2349 viewsreadtheleaguetable

Only useful for comparison if you count population of the urban area, not just the borough’s population (and divide that urban area by the number of clubs within it, of course.) Some pretty small ‘towns’ can be in large urban areas, and large towns in relatively small ones.
Interesting topic, nonetheless.

Qu'est-ce que vous chantez? Nous chantons "Les Bleus, allez!"

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 19:15 - Jun 22 with 2336 viewsLord_Lucan

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 18:54 - Jun 22 by GeoffSentence

You’re talking about the city of Norwich and the whole borough of Ipswich which I guess includes martlesham, kesgrave etc etc????

As a town to town basis***** Norwich is a lot bigger than Ipswich in size and population, I hate to admit it but it’s fact. Ipswich though is probably more dense.

As for the OP - if Dudley were in the football league it would be them - where are they in football status?

******Lucan top tip. If you want to annoy a Nodger - say you’re popping into town, equally, ask the taxi driver to take you into town.

They absolutely hate it and always immediately respond with “City”

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 19:29 - Jun 22 with 2278 viewsSwansea_Blue

Take your pick of any poorly attended London club in terms of population in catchment, but I suppose that’s not what you’re after.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 19:30 - Jun 22 with 2278 viewsblueprint

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 19:15 - Jun 22 by Lord_Lucan

You’re talking about the city of Norwich and the whole borough of Ipswich which I guess includes martlesham, kesgrave etc etc????

As a town to town basis***** Norwich is a lot bigger than Ipswich in size and population, I hate to admit it but it’s fact. Ipswich though is probably more dense.

As for the OP - if Dudley were in the football league it would be them - where are they in football status?

******Lucan top tip. If you want to annoy a Nodger - say you’re popping into town, equally, ask the taxi driver to take you into town.

Kesgrave, Rushmere, pinewood and Martlesham all full outside the Borough.

Greater Ipswich if you like has a population of around 180k.
Login to get fewer ads

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 19:39 - Jun 22 with 2240 viewsSharkey

I guess the only positive way of looking at it (as a U's fan) is that few clubs in England could so easily double their gate with just a modicum of success!

p.s. Some figures have the population of Rochdale as 223,000.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2022 19:47]
Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 19:42 - Jun 22 with 2218 viewsMattinLondon

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 18:48 - Jun 22 by Funge

The franchise, surely?

550k people in MK, of whom approximately 4k watch Wild Bean Cafe FC every other Saturday.

EDIT: nothing like that many people in MK, *only* 265k.... even so, though....
[Post edited 22 Jun 2022 18:51]

In fairness to MK, it does take a few generations to build up a core support amongst its population. I’m guessing a lot of it’s population prior to whenever Wimbledon ‘relocated’ supported, and still support, other clubs.
Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 19:48 - Jun 22 with 2185 viewsMattinLondon

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 19:29 - Jun 22 by Swansea_Blue

Take your pick of any poorly attended London club in terms of population in catchment, but I suppose that’s not what you’re after.

London is a bit different to the rest of the country in this regards. A large percentage of each borough maybe don’t have the affinity to the local club as what someone in Ipswich has. Sizeable levels of migration in and out of London as well.
Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 19:55 - Jun 22 with 2162 viewsGeoffSentence

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 19:15 - Jun 22 by Lord_Lucan

No, the city of Norwich and Borough of Ipswich are almost exactly the same size. Both of them spill out into the surrounding areas though, Pinewood, Kesgrave and Martlesham for instance for Ipswich, Taverham and Sprowston for instance in Norwich. The Norwich overspill is bigger, so although the City and Borough are pretty much exactly the same size, the built up area of Nodge is about 30K more.

That's how it ws at the 2011 census. The first figures from the 2021 census are due out next Tuesday, so will be interesting to see how things have changed.

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 19:57 - Jun 22 with 2155 viewsrgp1

The district of Everton in Liverpool has a population of around just 7000. Therefore it has to be well up there. Interestingly The Club has never played in the district.
Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 19:58 - Jun 22 with 2133 viewsxrayspecs

Birmingham. 16k attendance, 1.4m people, about 1%
Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 20:08 - Jun 22 with 2090 viewsGeoffSentence

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 19:08 - Jun 22 by readtheleaguetable

Only useful for comparison if you count population of the urban area, not just the borough’s population (and divide that urban area by the number of clubs within it, of course.) Some pretty small ‘towns’ can be in large urban areas, and large towns in relatively small ones.
Interesting topic, nonetheless.

it is, for some reason population stats fascinate me. Just looking at the similarities and differences between populations can be enthralling. I mentioned the similarity between Nodge and Ipswich earlier, small city/borough populations but both overspilling into nearby districts, Colchester in the other hand is completely the opposite, it has a relatively small urban core, but its boundaries include a large semi-rural district.

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 20:09 - Jun 22 with 2086 viewsDJR

Norfolk also has a bigger population, and Norwich is bang in the centre, whereas we have the sea to one side, and Colchester to the south.
Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 20:31 - Jun 22 with 1970 viewsMillsey

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 20:09 - Jun 22 by DJR

Norfolk also has a bigger population, and Norwich is bang in the centre, whereas we have the sea to one side, and Colchester to the south.

All the big towns in Suffolk are on the boarders!!!!
Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 20:47 - Jun 22 with 1884 viewsMedwayTractor

Gillingham must be in with a shout. Wiki population for Medway Council: c 278,500 estimated for 2019 & last season's average gate of just over 5,000.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 21:00 - Jun 22 with 1830 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Bristol population near 500K. Rovers attendance around 6.5K. Unless Birmingham City is counted (a bit harsh when there are a lot of other league clubs in Birmingham and only one other in Bristol).

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 21:13 - Jun 22 with 1771 viewsKievthegreat

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 20:09 - Jun 22 by DJR

It might be slightly more central to Norfolk (although still to one side), but the distance from Norwich to the furthest parts of Norfolk is the same as Ipswich to the furthest parts of Suffolk.

Norwich to Downham Market or Kings Lynn = 45 miles (by car)
Ipswich to Lowestoft = 45 miles
Ipswich to Newmarket = 40 miles
Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 21:16 - Jun 22 with 1752 viewsIllinoisblue

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 19:39 - Jun 22 by Sharkey

I guess the only positive way of looking at it (as a U's fan) is that few clubs in England could so easily double their gate with just a modicum of success!

p.s. Some figures have the population of Rochdale as 223,000.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2022 19:47]

Yeah just a few hundred more fans and that would be a decent percentage rise. I’m sure they used to get more at Layer Road.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 21:19 - Jun 22 with 1719 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 21:13 - Jun 22 by Kievthegreat

It might be slightly more central to Norfolk (although still to one side), but the distance from Norwich to the furthest parts of Norfolk is the same as Ipswich to the furthest parts of Suffolk.

Norwich to Downham Market or Kings Lynn = 45 miles (by car)
Ipswich to Lowestoft = 45 miles
Ipswich to Newmarket = 40 miles

Surely a better measure is the distance in each direction to the next Football League/Premier League club or the coast would be a better measure?

In this part of the world, county boundaries do not dictate team allegiance especially accurately.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 21:20 - Jun 22 with 1720 viewsKievthegreat

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 21:16 - Jun 22 by Illinoisblue

Yeah just a few hundred more fans and that would be a decent percentage rise. I’m sure they used to get more at Layer Road.

I believe tickets got more expensive when they moved. No more terracing meant all those standing fans had to pay extra for a seat they didn't want.
Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 16:46 - Jun 23 with 1209 viewsSharkey

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 21:20 - Jun 22 by Kievthegreat

I believe tickets got more expensive when they moved. No more terracing meant all those standing fans had to pay extra for a seat they didn't want.

The last two seasons at Layer Road were in the Championship, so the ground was very often full ( which was about 5,500) and of course many away fans coudn't get a ticket. (In the last game at Layer Road, Stoke got promoted to the Premier League.)
But gates at the new ground were quite often bigger than that pre-Covid, five or six times a season, I'd say - partly because of away fans (with Leeds i League 1 for example) , some local-ish visitors (Cambridge, Orient, Southend)
Last season gates were specially low, partly because buying tickets was so complicated, and partly because it was such a drab set of fixtures . (No derbies, very few 'fallen giants'. )
Some Colchester fans like to pretend that Layer Road was this rocking hot-bed, ...and it had its moments . But I remember the 80s and coming out of the garrison onto Layer Raod and my heart sinking when I could see just from spaces between the scattered Lowry-esque figures trudging to the ground that the attendance would be about 1600. ( I could estimate it within about thirty people.) I used to feel sorry for the players, like when you go to a concert and there's not enough people at it and the band have to put on a brave face.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2022 16:48]
Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 16:50 - Jun 23 with 1185 viewsblueprint

Of clubs in the Football League, what’s the biggest population/attendance on 16:46 - Jun 23 by Sharkey

The last two seasons at Layer Road were in the Championship, so the ground was very often full ( which was about 5,500) and of course many away fans coudn't get a ticket. (In the last game at Layer Road, Stoke got promoted to the Premier League.)
But gates at the new ground were quite often bigger than that pre-Covid, five or six times a season, I'd say - partly because of away fans (with Leeds i League 1 for example) , some local-ish visitors (Cambridge, Orient, Southend)
Last season gates were specially low, partly because buying tickets was so complicated, and partly because it was such a drab set of fixtures . (No derbies, very few 'fallen giants'. )
Some Colchester fans like to pretend that Layer Road was this rocking hot-bed, ...and it had its moments . But I remember the 80s and coming out of the garrison onto Layer Raod and my heart sinking when I could see just from spaces between the scattered Lowry-esque figures trudging to the ground that the attendance would be about 1600. ( I could estimate it within about thirty people.) I used to feel sorry for the players, like when you go to a concert and there's not enough people at it and the band have to put on a brave face.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2022 16:48]

I would often go to Layer rd when Town weren’t playing in the early to mid 80s . The atmosphere was non existent and crowds were generally no bigger than 2500.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024